daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 18th, 2011, 11:48 PM   #5521
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

It's overkill to have "alleen" on the sign indeed. To me, that's like putting "over" (= within) in front of an indication of distance... It's not like "200 m" could be interpret in another way...

I've been noticing that approach more and more in the Netherlands. It's like the sign that you can only drive forwards, which is indicated with "dus enkel rechtdoor" (so only drive forwards) - well yeah... that's what the sign means. In that case, I think it's because it's not as clear as a "do not turn to the right" sign, but I haven't seen that many of them in the Netherlands lately for some reason.

Greetings,
Glodenox

Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2011, 10:46 AM   #5522
Gereke

Likes (Received): 237

Someone who is not familiar with germanic languages can also think alleen means except. And that's the problem .
Gereke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 11:50 AM   #5523
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 806

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
Nope .

http://www.rotterdam.nl/A20_Schieplein

As far as I know they only speak about making the sliproads longer and later on ''big maintenance'' on the A20...
They should change their mind, before A13-A16 is finished its 2020 at least and even then the question remains if it will relieve the A20 enough to reduce congestion. Can't they put some rush hour lanes there anyway, they only have to alter one viaduct and one or two onramps to make it possible. Seems a lot easier than building a new highway through some nature areas and generally build up areas requiring tunnels etc (look at A2 near Utrecht and A73, tunnels are always causing delays and problems).
Old May 19th, 2011, 11:55 AM   #5524
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 806

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafreak84 View Post
Random shot from today. This picture is NL highways in a nutshell. Craziest traffic I've ever seen in my life. It's like this almost 24/7. Dutch are however very patient drivers, you should see me, an "auslender", cursing every day at these massive traffic jams but they just don't care. These highways should be widened to at least 5x5, all of them, not just by one additional lane. The whole Netherlands looks like Moscow at rush hour.
The Rotterdam area in particular is pretty bad, most recent upgrade and expansion projects took place around Utrecht, The Hague and Amsterdam.

Lets hope the extended A4 opens before the expected completion date of 2015.
Old May 19th, 2011, 02:19 PM   #5525
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafreak84 View Post
Random shot from today. This picture is NL highways in a nutshell. Craziest traffic I've ever seen in my life. It's like this almost 24/7. Dutch are however very patient drivers, you should see me, an "auslender", cursing every day at these massive traffic jams but they just don't care. These highways should be widened to at least 5x5, all of them, not just by one additional lane. The whole Netherlands looks like Moscow at rush hour.
I'd say it looks better for the Dutch than for us...Because you actuallt widen highways. I read somewhere that there are more trafiic jams and heavy traffic here than in The NEtherlans, I could be wrong though.

The average amount of km traffic jams on Belgian highways is around 400km a day. When several accidants happen that can grow up to 800km and more.
The average Belgian sits in 1.5h of traffic jams each day.

That costs a lot of money. On 10 feb2010, 950km of traffic jam made a total kost of 2.2 million Euro.
TomTom calculated that including delays (so not an actual traffic jam but slow traffic) an average morning rushhour in Belgium has 1100km of delays.

I don't know where to find such number for The Netherlands but maybe some-one can?

Last edited by joshsam; May 19th, 2011 at 02:32 PM.
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 05:01 PM   #5526
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

Wild west on the A12 motorway near Nootdorp, a suburb of Den Haag.

A convicted murderer was shot and apprehended by the police force. They chased him down A12, and boxed him in at the Nootdorp exit with a deliberate crash. 3 police cars (2 BMW's and 1 Mercedes) boxed the Fiat in, a civilian VW was also involved, but nobody was hurt.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 05:09 PM   #5527
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A convicted murderer was shot and apprehended by the police force.
How come a convicted murderer was on the loose?
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 05:09 PM   #5528
ArthurK
Legum Magister Scientiae

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
I don't know where to find such number for The Netherlands but maybe some-one can?
Here, in realtime.

February 8th 1999 was the busiest morning rush hour, with 975 km of traffic jams.
ArthurK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 05:14 PM   #5529
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Note that there is a huge discrepancy between the traditional traffic information and TomTom. Last year we had a couple of 3000+ km rush hours according to TomTom.
Old May 19th, 2011, 05:34 PM   #5530
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Yes, TomTom also counts delays: http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/957/Belgie/...-oktober.dhtml

Nice chase overthere
Is it common in the Netherlands to have highway chases? I remember some overhere but not common at all.
Old May 19th, 2011, 05:36 PM   #5531
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 520

Maybe discrepancy is because of different traffic jam definition (TomTom vs traffic info)? Should we count slow traffic <50 km/h as jam?

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 05:51 PM   #5532
ed110220

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
How come a convicted murderer was on the loose?
Perhaps he had reoffended after being released?

BTW, the placename Nootdorp is quite funny I think for the situation, because it seems it is a homophone of Nooddorp (emergency-village) ;-)
ed110220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2011, 01:51 AM   #5533
Vliegtuigbouwert

Likes (Received): 8

He was initially acquitted but still convicted after appeal. He had already fled by then.
Vliegtuigbouwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2011, 05:36 PM   #5534
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3452

Actually bail was paid. Convicted for the murder and when he found out he started running [driving ]
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2011, 11:19 PM   #5535
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 292

I noticed that in some photos the street lighting is the same as in the UK

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2011, 04:05 PM   #5536
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3452

So today I needed to go to a store called Cameranu, located in Urk. I was pretty excited about the fact that they just changed the A6 speed limit into 130. I did not realize though that this was dynamic. The signs said that you're only allowed to drive 130 between 19h and 6h. What I noticed is that a lot of drivers tend to ignore the restriction.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2011, 05:17 PM   #5537
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3lS View Post
So today I needed to go to a store called Cameranu, located in Urk. I was pretty excited about the fact that they just changed the A6 speed limit into 130. I did not realize though that this was dynamic. The signs said that you're only allowed to drive 130 between 19h and 6h. What I noticed is that a lot of drivers tend to ignore the restriction.
Are you surprised, they have ignored the 120kph limit for AGES there. More than 20% always drives to fast there.

It's a perfectly straight motorway for many kilometers. Only morons think 120 kph is a good limit there.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2011, 08:19 PM   #5538
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Highway mystery in the Netherlands: somebody places ceramic cows on the A7 motorway in northern North Holland province. Last night someone totaled his car again. The ceramic cows are approximately 1.5 m tall and 0.8 m wide.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 09:10 PM   #5539
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Nice shot of the busiest motorway in the Netherlands: A16 Brienenoord Bridge in Rotterdam. It handles 235 000 vehicles per day.
image hosted on flickr

2011-02-13 Rotterdam - Nieuwe Maas - 3 by Topaas, on Flickr
Old May 22nd, 2011, 09:27 PM   #5540
ChrisZwolle
Road user

image hosted on flickr

shoulder running + plus lanes NL 22-5-2011 1024px by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands