daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 23rd, 2011, 03:44 PM   #5541
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Highway mystery in the Netherlands: somebody places ceramic cows on the A7 motorway in northern North Holland province. Last night someone totaled his car again. The ceramic cows are approximately 1.5 m tall and 0.8 m wide.
No doubt some left wing retard opposed to the 130 kph limit, there have been heavy objects on chairs placed on the motorway by probably the same retards too recently, I hope the culprits get caught or even driven into when they are doing it, such ****s don't deserve to live, wrecking peoples pride and joy and attempting murder.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2011, 09:50 PM   #5542
kubam4a1

Likes (Received): 6

I am curious if "recent times state" will be able to cope with such idiots...
Old May 23rd, 2011, 10:08 PM   #5543
Bori427

Likes (Received): 1809

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Nice shot of the busiest motorway in the Netherlands: A16 Brienenoord Bridge in Rotterdam. It handles 235 000 vehicles per day.
Wow, we got serious problems in Puerto Rico if we have freeways that handle more than Netherlands busiest motorway.

Compare the population of the two...
Bori427 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 02:47 AM   #5544
julesstoop

Likes (Received): 80

@Snowdog
Of course... Couldn't you say just 'retard' as opposed to 'left wing retard'? This is needlessly insulting and stigmatising to the about 50% of Dutchmen and women who don't agree with our present government and could thusly be considered 'left wing'.

I for one have never considered any act of terror (which putting ceramic cows on a highway clearly is) to be within the regular political spectrum and I think you should neither. And yes, I personally find the 130 kph limit a ridiculous act of political symbolism, but I'd never consider putting a human life in danger a viable solution to attain my goals or get any idea across. And yes, if you were to have a conversation with me you'd probably consider me extremely left wing. Still I'd fully respect your opinion in any debate and maybe even consider your opinion valuable. So please be civilized as well and stop stigmatising.
Thank you.
Old May 24th, 2011, 03:46 PM   #5545
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21247

I guess the question has nothing to do with politics. It is a crime of putting someone's life in danger. It doesn't matter what your purposes are: an obstacle placed in a highway means a car can easily get involve in a fatal crash.

I, for instance, am highly against the excessive money European government pour in rail services that are used by few, while leaving more important highways underfunded. Should it be of for me to go to the nearest train switch in the wood, 200m from my house, and temper with the ATB and the wires to make a point?

==============================

As for speed limits: there are overwhelming evidence from our neighbors in Germany that strict speed limits do not necessarily increase fatality rates. I think 60% of Dutch highway network could do away with all speed limits, using, of course, temporary signaling to account for jams, works, fog, rain, snow etc.
Old May 24th, 2011, 04:13 PM   #5546
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I guess the question has nothing to do with politics.
Precisely, thus when someone tried to make it political, someone else had to point that out.

Last edited by Surel; May 24th, 2011 at 07:29 PM.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 05:51 PM   #5547
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19405

Construction of the A5-A10 split in Amsterdam.

more:
http://www.fotomix.nl/Westrandweg_A5_g398.html
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 07:43 PM   #5548
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
Precisely, thus when someone tried to make it political, someone else had to point that out.
I reckon the culprit is more a ''Volkert van der G'' type than a ''Geert Wilders'' ( or more extreme, a neo nazi) type. Of course I'm not sure...
Quote:
I'd never consider putting a human life
But would you damage/vandalise peoples property like a lot of activists ?

Quote:
'left wing retard'? This is needlessly insulting and stigmatising to the about 50% of dutchmen)
With left with retard I was aiming at the likes of ''groenfront'', you know, environmental terrorists who are likely to do things like this.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 08:32 PM   #5549
julesstoop

Likes (Received): 80

@snowdog
It al depends on the amount of (potential) damage of course and also somewhat on the intention, but yes, calling them environmental terrorists seems more apt.

No, I personally don't consider damaging or vandalising property a viable option, unless it's necessary in order to save a human life or a very large common cause (like cutting open a burning truck to save the the piece of cultural heritage it is transporting). But that's more of an economic consideration
Old May 25th, 2011, 01:22 PM   #5550
ChrisZwolle
Road user

7 injured in a major crash on A73 motorway near Roermond.
Old May 25th, 2011, 02:49 PM   #5551
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 520

Too small distance in between the cars? Or someone decide to turn into left lane while another car was already overtaking?

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2011, 07:58 PM   #5552
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A27 Lunetten - Houten

The A27 has been changed between Interchange Lunetten (A12) and exit Houten. There are now 4 southbound lanes, where the right lane becomes the exit to Houten, which doubles to 2 exit lanes. Exit Houten is particularly "heavy", some 35 000 vehicles use it every day, and it is also avoided via the nearby N409 provincial highway, which is a two-lane road with a separate bus lane with 22 000 vehicles per day. Hence, some 57 000 vehicles enter and leave Houten to the west (Utrecht) every day.

Pictures by Frits:

Old May 26th, 2011, 09:43 PM   #5553
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

I like the full white paint on the exits and on ramps. Much better than those stripes we have.
Old May 27th, 2011, 10:21 AM   #5554
lafreak84
Free Palestine

Likes (Received): 535

Any plans for any of these possible connections?

[IMG]http://i52.************/71iwcp.jpg[/IMG]
Old May 27th, 2011, 12:08 PM   #5555
Ewoutje

Likes (Received): 1

I've edited your image with the status of these projects.
The green painted road is the A4 midden delfland. Construction for this road will start soon and will be finished in 2015.
The other missing piece of the A4 south of that which I painted yellow will probably be constructed in a foreseeable future. The two roads crossing the New waterway which i painted yellow are both variants for the new waterway crossing, which is planned to be constructed in a couple of years. I've also added a yellow line north of Rotterdam, which is the A13/A16 connection planned to be constructed in the near future.
The sections I painted orange have been mentioned, but are probably not going to be constructed in a foreseeable future.
The red painted sections are out of the question.
The ones that I kept blue already exist as connections, but not as motorways. The section near Den Haag is part of the ring of Den Haag and might need some increase of capacity in the future. The road trough Dordrecht already exists as a partial freeway, the N3.
Ewoutje no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 12:16 PM   #5556
Suburbanist
on the road

Yeah, N3 is all the way grade-separated and elevated for a large portion. The only, dumb, stupid feature is that its connection with A15 is not a trumpet or partial cover-leaf interchange, but a diamond with a traffic light!
Old May 27th, 2011, 12:22 PM   #5557
Ewoutje

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Yeah, N3 is all the way grade-separated and elevated for a large portion. The only, dumb, stupid feature is that its connection with A15 is not a trumpet or partial cover-leaf interchange, but a diamond with a traffic light!
And its the same for the connection with the A16. It seems to be the standard policy.
Old May 27th, 2011, 02:31 PM   #5558
lafreak84
Free Palestine

Likes (Received): 535

Ewoutje, thank you very much for the rendering and explanation. I'm having slight trouble distinguishing orange from red, is red A4 from Delft to Rozenburg (I can see why it's out of the question) and A15 to Nederlek (why is this not an option?)? The rest are orange?

The new crossing (yellow) will be only one or are there plans to build both of them? Because the connection from A4 to A20 would be a lousy solution without the crossing to the port of Rotterdam. Also, the second crossing is also important IMO.

I hope this will get built soon, some real nice looking projects, to ease up on the Rotterdam ring a little. Yesterday it took me 1h 50m from Kralingen to Rozenburg. I hope they'll figure out something to redirect transit.
Old May 27th, 2011, 04:43 PM   #5559
Ewoutje

Those two sections are indeed the only sections I painted red. The section between the A15 and Nederlek will never be built for two reasons: It would be a shortcut for just a small amount of traffic and, more importantly, it would cross the World Heritage Site of Kinderdijk.

The new waterway crossing will be just one of the two alternatives at first. The eastern of the two is most likely to be built. Maybe a long time from now, the second one will be built as well.
Old May 28th, 2011, 02:03 AM   #5560
Suburbanist
on the road

They could build a tunnel if they wanted to. In any case, an elevated freeway near Kinderdijk would be just the perfect modern addition the windmills collections, themselves a 18th century engineer marvel.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands