daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 3rd, 2011, 09:32 PM   #5581
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
image hosted on flickr
Creepy sign
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2011, 12:34 AM   #5582
Wuppeltje

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
A5 West Amsterdam Skyway

Progress on A5-A10 in Amsterdam.

photo's by fotomix

Can't wait until this highways has been finished. It is going to look really nice.
Old June 4th, 2011, 06:57 AM   #5583
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

Likes (Received): 189

G'day all,

I visited the Netherlands on recent holiday to Europe. Even though I did not drive there, I took the train, public transport and walked my bloody legs off. I strayed off the beaten track when autosnelweg was nearby for a photo. Also, I got some photos from the train as it went over the autosnelweg; was particularly happy with my timing.

These three are from the Amsterdam-Utrecht train as it passed over the A9, A10 and alongside the A2.
essendon bombers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2011, 07:00 AM   #5584
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

Think two photos failed in my original post.
Old June 4th, 2011, 07:03 AM   #5585
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

These two are from the train Amsterdam-Schiphol of the A4 and A9 interchange.
Old June 4th, 2011, 07:45 AM   #5586
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

And a few from Den Haag near the end of the A12.
Old June 4th, 2011, 11:40 AM   #5587
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19427

Did you like the Netherlands?

Here's my newest video, A27 northbound from interchange Hooipolder to interchange Everdingen.

map:

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2011, 06:20 AM   #5588
essendon bombers
QF9, SQ326, LH738, UA870

Yes I love the Netherlands, would like to go back and visit again one day.

I stayed in Amsterdam and Rotterdam during my stay and visited Den Haag, Brussels, Utrecht, Delft on my daytrips. Loved Rotterdam for its architecture and its very interesting buildings, some reminded me of aspects about buildings in my own city Melbourne. The Cubehouse in Rotterdam, although not really practical for living, looks really cool!!

I really like the Dutch streetscape which helps to give the nation its definition. Amsterdam is in a small select group of cities (Venice and San Francisco are others...) that from my point of view, have very unique streetscapes. Come to Melbourne, the streetscape here could be Sydney (the trams distinguish Melbourne from Sydney) and Australian and NZ streetscapes are similar.

Last edited by essendon bombers; June 13th, 2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old June 6th, 2011, 08:21 PM   #5589
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A2 's-Hertogenbosch - Eindhoven

Good news, the minister of infrastructure and environment has signed the final record of decision for the widening of A2 from 4 to 6 lanes. The final record of decision has some relatively minor adjustments compared to the design-record of decision, mostly concerning noise abatement issues. The ROD will be open to appeal at the Council of State from early September. The widening will commence late 2011, with a phased completion in 2012 and 2013. This is the final link of the 120 kilometer motorway from Amsterdam to Eindhoven to be widened to at least 6 lanes.

map:
Old June 7th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #5590
BigMike90

Likes (Received): 4

Intense accident (unfortunately 2 passed away) yesterday on the A1 near Bathmen, causing a 18km traffic jam from Apeldoorn/intersection Beekbergen to Bathmen.

Somehow this tend to happen on this strech of the A1, a couple of times a year the whole region is stuck because of a large accident on this road.
BigMike90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 04:08 PM   #5591
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6169

Jesus, how did that even happen?

Right with the windshield into the pillar, so unlucky.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2011, 05:21 PM   #5592
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I don't know, there is a sufficient crash barrier between the roadway and the bridge pillar.
Old June 7th, 2011, 06:25 PM   #5593
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
I don't know, there is a sufficient crash barrier between the roadway and the bridge pillar.
The highway guys here in the USA no longer 'bury' the facing ends of guard rails - they were found to often turn into, for lack of a better term, launching ramps. Now, they place devices on their facing ends that are designed to 'catch' errant vehicles and bring them to gradual, much safer stops.

Here, it looks to me like that vehicle was indeed 'launched' by that guard rail and that that launching imparted a spin on it such that it hit the bridge structure square in the windshield.

Also, here in the USA, if the guard rail is instead a concrete barrier, either they will attach a similar steel device to its facing end or block it with a series of sand-filled barrels. Further, there are instances here in the Appleton, WI area of the only protection for overhead bridge and other concrete structures being series of sand-filled barrels.

A few local examples:
A wrap around guardrail designed to catch errant vehicles (WI 441 in SE Appleton, WI):
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...78.13,,0,-4.13

Sand barrels protecting the concrete base of this median sign (US 10/WI 441 in Menasha, WI, just outside of Appleton, WI):
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...331.85,,0,0.44

Typical 'catcher' on the facing end of a guardrail (westbound US 10/WI 441 at WI 47/Appleton Rd in Menasha, WI, just outside of Appleton, WI):
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...98.58,,0,-1.49

Mike

Last edited by mgk920; June 7th, 2011 at 06:52 PM.
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2011, 12:46 AM   #5594
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Some parking fee statistics:

the 10 largest municipalities got a revenue of € 300 million in parking fees. Out of those € 300 million, € 116 million is profit. Amsterdam has the biggest share; € 128 million revenue, out of which € 83 million is profit. Profit is only made in some of the biggest cities, other larger municipalities, such as Rotterdam, Tilburg, Groningen and Nijmegen only got a break-even.

The total 2010 parking fee revenue in the Netherlands was € 566 million, an increase of 40% in 5 years. This means the average passenger car in the Netherlands pays € 75 per year in parking fees. This is € 214 per year on average in the 10 largest municipalities.
Old June 8th, 2011, 03:20 AM   #5595
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 806

Quote:
Some parking fee statistics:

the 10 largest municipalities got a revenue of € 300 million in parking fees. Out of those € 300 million, € 116 million is profit. Amsterdam has the biggest share; € 128 million revenue, out of which € 83 million is profit. Profit is only made in some of the biggest cities, other larger municipalities, such as Rotterdam, Tilburg, Groningen and Nijmegen only got a break-even.

The total 2010 parking fee revenue in the Netherlands was € 566 million, an increase of 40% in 5 years. This means the average passenger car in the Netherlands pays € 75 per year in parking fees. This is € 214 per year on average in the 10 largest municipalities.
Amsterdam parking rates are outrageous, in a large part of the center you pay € 5 per hour, 7 days a week from 9am til 12pm. And even in living areas far outside the center you still have to pay at least € 3 per hour. No way back... I'm even afraid the rates will rise further in coming years. Soon other parts of West and Buitenveldert will have paid parking as well.

http://www.cition.nl/main.php?asset_...j_id=227773444
Old June 8th, 2011, 04:02 AM   #5596
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post
Amsterdam parking rates are outrageous, in a large part of the center you pay € 5 per hour, 7 days a week from 9am til 12pm. And even in living areas far outside the center you still have to pay at least € 3 per hour. No way back... I'm even afraid the rates will rise further in coming years. Soon other parts of West and Buitenveldert will have paid parking as well.

http://www.cition.nl/main.php?asset_...j_id=227773444
Paid parking sometimes spread out like a tumor out of control. This happen because in a city with neighborhoods connected one with another whenever an area becomes paid parking, the immediate vicinity suffers with people scooping up space for that, and they demand paid parking (+ resident cheap permits) to curb the problem.

I have not much against paid parking, if they use the proceeds to build more underground parking, not to cash in the municipality treasury. They are building something like 3.000 new parking spaces around the central areas of Amsterdam, coupled with the new Noordzuidlijn subway. Let's hope that improves the situation.

I have no illusions that it is impossible for everyone to park within the Canal Belt, but at least they should have plenty of underground parking around.
Old June 8th, 2011, 11:35 AM   #5597
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A1 Bussum - Eemnes

Very good news, all appeals against the operation of shoulder running along A1 in both directions between Bussum and interchange Eemnes have been withdrawn one day before the Council of State would have made a judgment. Rijkswaterstaat and an activist group apparently reached compromise, but no details are known at this time. This mean the implementation of shoulder running can proceed and is likely saved from a 1-year delay.

The A1 runs through "Het Gooi", an upscale region composed of various small municipalities with some of the most expensive housing in the Netherlands. The A1 is one of the most saturated motorways of the Netherlands; it carries 110 000 vehicles per day on 2x2 lanes.

map:
Old June 8th, 2011, 12:13 PM   #5598
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Good news on the A2 upgrade and the A1 shoulder lanes!
I wonder what RWS promised to the eco morons though ?
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2011, 10:28 PM   #5599
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Some statistics about Dutch motorways. This example features the A1 motorway between Amersfoort and Hilversum. The motorway has 2x2 lanes and carries just over 100 000 vehicles per day.

1500 vehicles per hour, per lane is about the critical level. Of course more is possible, but then the level of service will drop significantly, impeding traffic flow and worsening traffic safety. The critical level when shoulder running should go into operation as a third traffic lane is at 3000 vehicles per hour.

You can see here the critical level is met or exceeded for 12 - 13 hours per day in each direction on A1. In 2013, this motorwa will be widened to 2x4 lanes. With such figures, it is obvious one additional lane each way will not be a solid solution.
Old June 12th, 2011, 10:05 AM   #5600
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21257

One interesting aspect of that his how peak times are pushed in a shorter interval. In US, 5am is already peak in many metro areas, and the afternoon peak goes well past 19h.

In other words: as I can attest from living here, Dutch don't work before 9am, usually, in large numbers, and they have dinner too early :p .Kidding.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands