daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 12th, 2011, 05:05 PM   #5601
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
One interesting aspect of that his how peak times are pushed in a shorter interval. In US, 5am is already peak in many metro areas, and the afternoon peak goes well past 19h.

In other words: as I can attest from living here, Dutch don't work before 9am, usually, in large numbers, and they have dinner too early :p .Kidding.
Most people work from 9am to 5pm here... Or 8 to 4...

What I find disturbing is how the traffic doesn't significantly drop during the day, that motorway is close to being ****ed all day long.

His graph does clearly confirm what my favorite time is to drive, 3 am .
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2011, 05:37 PM   #5602
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19405

Well, the hourly traffic volumes prove the flexible working hours are already the standard. Politicians often think spreading out work times is the best solution for the "most optimal use of roadway capacity", however, there is simply almost no spare capacity. What you will see is that traffic congestion will become longer and longer. My example is not far away from being congested 13 hours per day. The only solution is to widen it, which is exactly what they're going to do.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2011, 08:51 PM   #5603
zwanneman2

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Some statistics about Dutch motorways. This example features the A1 motorway between Amersfoort and Hilversum. The motorway has 2x2 lanes and carries just over 100 000 vehicles per day.

1500 vehicles per hour, per lane is about the critical level. Of course more is possible, but then the level of service will drop significantly, impeding traffic flow and worsening traffic safety. The critical level when shoulder running should go into operation as a third traffic lane is at 3000 vehicles per hour.

You can see here the critical level is met or exceeded for 12 - 13 hours per day in each direction on A1. In 2013, this motorwa will be widened to 2x4 lanes. With such figures, it is obvious one additional lane each way will not be a solid solution.
Very interesting data indeed. Were do you find this data? Is it publicly available? I would like to some analysis myself.
zwanneman2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 10:27 AM   #5604
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A12 Utrecht - Arnhem

Rijkswaterstaat is going to widen A12 between interchange Lunetten and exit Bunnik from 6 to 8 lanes in 10 days This section is 4 kilometers long, and the widening will be executed on existing asphalt. Works will be carried out between 17-6 and 27-6. This will so far not reduce travel times on A12, but will prevent traffic jams block other motorways as well.
Old June 14th, 2011, 05:42 PM   #5605
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A12 Utrecht - Arnhem

Rijkswaterstaat is going to widen A12 between interchange Lunetten and exit Bunnik from 6 to 8 lanes in 10 days This section is 4 kilometers long, and the widening will be executed on existing asphalt. Works will be carried out between 17-6 and 27-6. This will so far not reduce travel times on A12, but will prevent traffic jams block other motorways as well.
Although on Google Maps I see that in the direction west-east they have only to put some paint on the already poured asphalt, it's a very-fast-going motorway upgrade. If all the works would go that fast...
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 06:48 PM   #5606
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The minister of infrastructure & environment presented the spatial planning guidelines today. Amongst a lot of spatial issues, there are also road infrastructure issues.

The wishlist of road projects amounts to over € 60 billion. We don't have that kind of money available for road projects. All funding for the next 9 years up to 2020 has been decided, most of those projects are already within procedures. The minister can also decide about 3/8th of the investment for the 2020 - 2028 period (i.e. € 7.3 billion). She mentioned the following projects by region;

Northwest NL
* Amsterdam-North: A7/A8/A10 corridor
* Amsterdam-South: A10-south + interchanges De Nieuwe Meer & Amstel
* N23 improvements in North Holland province

Central NL
* Ring Utrecht (A12/A27)
* Leiden - Katwijk corridor
* New Western Connection in the port of Rotterdam area
* A4 The Hague corridor

South NL
* A58 south of Breda (Sint Annabosch - Galder)
* A58 Tilburg - Eindhoven
* No regret implementation A67 (no idea what the hell that means)

East NL
* A1 Apeldoorn - Hengelo corridor
* N35 Wierden - Nijverdal

North NL
* A6 Scharsterrijn aqueduct

Mind you, these are projects beyond 2020. The actual list of projects prior to 2020 is significantly longer. The minister mentioned she wanted to "make A1 the next A2", i.e. a wide superhighway. She also said the A27 investment corridor has a higher priority than A58 Tilburg - Eindhoven. If there is a funding shortfall for A27, funding for A58 will be directed to A27. Mind you the A27 project is the second-largest road investment project in the Netherlands prior to 2020, including the replacement of 4 major river / canal bridges.
Old June 14th, 2011, 09:56 PM   #5607
temlin

Likes (Received): 247

I really mis the A15 Nijmegen - Zevenaar.
temlin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 11:44 AM   #5608
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A50 Ewijk - Valburg

The Council of State has dismissed all appeals against the construction of the second Waal River Bridge and the widening from 4 to 8 lanes, just west of the city of Nijmegen. This means works, which commenced in July 2010, can proceed as planned. The new bridge will be put into service in 2013, after which the existing bridge will be renovated. Full 8-lane capacity will be available in 2014. The A50 carries 105 000 vehicles per day at this point, including a significant truck share. The A50 north of the interchange has already been widened from 4 to 6 lanes this year.
Old June 15th, 2011, 11:55 AM   #5609
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Chris, a question about trucks in the Netherlands. Are there any incentives to transfer heavy traffic on rail, like in other countries? I do see a lot of NL plated trucks here in Germany and in Italy too.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 12:00 PM   #5610
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Not all that much. While they've spent over € 5 billion for a 150 km freight railway to Germany (Betuwe Route, you may have heard of it), the Dutch railroad network has no spare capacity for significant additional rail freight. Domestic rail freight is only 1% compared to 99% road freight. Most rail freight is transiting to other countries. A multimodal center near the A50 interchange Valburg (see post above) was scrapped recently.
Old June 15th, 2011, 12:18 PM   #5611
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

Minister Schultz did announce in her speech yesterday (on RTL Nieuws) she intended to stimulate freight traffic by waterways in an attempt to get some trucks off the road.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 01:50 PM   #5612
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21247

The Hague traffic wardens told to write more tickets

The man in charge of finance on The Hague city council has called on the city’s traffic wardens to write more parking tickets, in direct contravention of national government policy, the Volkskrant reports on Wednesday.

Sander Dekker, a member of the Liberal party VVD, wants traffic wardens to increase their ticketing to 250 a year, from 150 at present, in 2013.

The national government and Dekker’s own party want ticket quotas scrapped.

‘Don’t start me on that,’ Dekker told the paper. ‘If you are walking the streets six to eight hours a day, 250 days a year, you should be writing at least one ticket a day.’
Old June 15th, 2011, 08:01 PM   #5613
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A heavy crash on A2 south of Eindhoven yesterday, a truck carrying bogies overturned.

Old June 15th, 2011, 08:43 PM   #5614
ChrisZwolle
Road user

More good news today:

A1 Apeldoorn - Hengelo

The national government and the regional provincial governments reached an agreement today about the widening of A1 from interchange Beekbergen near Apeldoorn to interchange Azelo near Hengelo. The widening will be accelerated by 5 years, commencing in 2016 instead of 2021. The western section from Apeldoorn to Deventer will be widened to 2x4 lanes, the rest to Hengelo to 2x3 lanes.

A10 Amsterdam

The Telegraaf newspaper announced that the widening of the eastern section of A10 ring road will commence in December this year. The motorway will be widened to 2x4 lanes, and the roadworks will take 2 years. This is the first widening of the larger "Schiphol - Amsterdam - Almere" project, the most expensive and most prestigious motorway project ever undertaken in the Netherlands.
Old June 16th, 2011, 08:01 PM   #5615
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A27 Breda - Utrecht

Although not separately announced, the government seems to have chosen alternative B for the A27 widening between interchange Hooipolder and Lunetten. The alternative C: 4x2 lanes with a local-express setup, was too expensive, likely because it required more new bridges than alternative B. Some media reported this as bad news, but in my opinion alternative B is one of the best, if not the best option. I'm not a fan of local-express setups for just 4 lanes per direction.

I made a little map:
Old June 16th, 2011, 08:20 PM   #5616
Ewoutje

Likes (Received): 1

Sounds great, do you know if they are going to construct it with spatial reservations for the suggested railway line between Breda and Utrecht?
Ewoutje no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2011, 08:23 PM   #5617
ChrisZwolle
Road user

In this time of budget constraints? I highly doubt that.
Old June 16th, 2011, 08:48 PM   #5618
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I did some research about the train Breda - Utrecht.

A recent survey about this train was completed. While it is unlikely for this railway to be completed before 2025, they will make sure it will not be "made impossible" with the reconstruction of the A27 motorway. They will construct pillars for a bridge across the Merwede River and reserve space within interchange Gorinchem. However, all additional costs for this railway are to be borne by the regional government.
Old June 16th, 2011, 11:17 PM   #5619
petertenthije

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by temlin View Post
I really mis the A15 Nijmegen - Zevenaar.
Omroep Gelderland is reporting the A15 will be extended to Zevenaar, it's expected to be completed by 2017, but as a toll road.

http://www.omroepgelderland.nl/web/n...rgetrokken.htm
petertenthije no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2011, 11:42 PM   #5620
woutero

Likes (Received): 41

Chris, do you know why the section from Hooipolder to Breda was not included? Is that section less busy? It doesn't seem that way.
woutero no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands