daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 23rd, 2011, 12:56 AM   #5681
RubenT

Likes (Received): 251

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3lS View Post
And kph is something different than km/h LOL.
Is it?
RubenT no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2011, 01:19 AM   #5682
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3454

Well I guess not. Though the normal way to say it is just ''km/h''.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KPH
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 12:55 PM   #5683
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1823

*the right way to say it is "km/h". The abbreviation for kilometre is "km" not "k". "K" stands for "kilo" which is a prefix and not a measurement unit by itself.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 02:25 PM   #5684
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Well I guess not. Though the normal way to say it is just ''km/h''.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KPH
KPH is mostly used in Canada, UK and Ireland. They have done it their way. It's still MPH and not MLS/H....
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 03:00 PM   #5685
Road_UK
BANNED

Anyway. Lets have some pictures. This is on my delivery trip from the UK to Mo-i-Rana in northern Norway. Travelling through the UK, France, Belgium, Holland (stopped over in Schiedam to see relatives, then went to Sneek to pick my granddad up, he wanted to come to Norway) , Germany, Denmark, Sweden and finally Norway.

Here is the Dutch section of my journey......

Going past Amsterdam Airport

Approaching Amsterdam Orbital A10

Amsterdam Orbital A10

After Amsterdam heading northbound towards the province of Friesland

Afsluitdijk Monument

More to follow....
Old June 23rd, 2011, 03:05 PM   #5686
Ni3lS

Nice. Your granddad lives in Sneek? I grew up in Friesland, it's a pretty province. I've had my license since august last year, though I still haven't crossed the afsluitdijk by myself. I'm going to this summer I think
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Old June 23rd, 2011, 03:08 PM   #5687
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Nice. Your granddad lives in Sneek? I grew up in Friesland, it's a pretty province. I've had my license since august last year, though I still haven't crossed the afsluitdijk by myself. I'm going to this summer I think
He used to live in Sneek, he actually died a few months ago. I partly grew up there, but now live in Austria and the UK....
Old June 23rd, 2011, 03:10 PM   #5688
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19427

What kind of work makes you drive from the UK to Mo i Rana?
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 03:23 PM   #5689
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
What kind of work makes you drive from the UK to Mo i Rana?
My job is to deliver anything that needs to go from the UK to mainland Europe fast. And from Europe back to the UK... and everything in a Sprinter van. I go anywhere between Finland and Portugal and Greece and Norway...

On this particular job they needed train parts. If a factory stands still because they don't have the parts, that's where we come in. In a van we carry up to 5 europallets and 1500 kg weight... This is European Express only - no national courier service, so I'm on that ferry 2-3 times a week. If I'm only going to Germany or France I can do 4 trips a week. I actually partly live in Mayrhofen, Austria - so as much as I can I try and do UK to Italy via Mont Blanc, home the weekend and back to UK via Germany and Belgium. Shipping port is always Calais....

I've uploaded a pic of my van in the Britain thread....
Old June 23rd, 2011, 03:32 PM   #5690
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Fascinating. If you still don't know the Clinched Highways Mapping project I bet you can rise fast in the ranking
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 03:38 PM   #5691
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Fascinating. If you still don't know the Clinched Highways Mapping project I bet you can rise fast in the ranking
I've had a look at it and I'll give it a good go... It's be a hell of a lot of work...
Old June 23rd, 2011, 04:08 PM   #5692
sotonsi

Please do, the amount of effort I put into making the files for the Norwegian E roads was rather large and one person has 3% clinched near Oslo and that's it. A trip to Mo i Rana would mean that a lot more of my hard work is used!
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 04:16 PM   #5693
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
Please do, the amount of effort I put into making the files for the Norwegian E roads was rather large and one person has 3% clinched near Oslo and that's it. A trip to Mo i Rana would mean that a lot more of my hard work is used!
I'll get onto it then. On my way up I did most of it through Sweden, and crossed the border before Mo, but on my way down I went all the way through Norway, passed Trondheim and Oslo and headed towards Gothenburg...
Old June 23rd, 2011, 05:39 PM   #5694
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

That trip must have been at least 3,5 years ago.
Pictures don't show recent "spitsstroken" (=hard shoulder running sections)
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 05:44 PM   #5695
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswnl View Post
That trip must have been at least 3,5 years ago.
Pictures don't show recent "spitsstroken" (=hard shoulder running sections)
2007 as you can see on my Switzerland vignette on my windscreen.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 06:11 PM   #5696
Ni3lS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
He used to live in Sneek, he actually died a few months ago. I partly grew up there, but now live in Austria and the UK....
Ok.

Interesting job. About the clinched highway project. I signed up a couple of days ago but still haven't gotten an email from the admin to verify my account.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 06:13 PM   #5697
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Ok.

Interesting job. About the clinched highway project. I signed up a couple of days ago but still haven't gotten an email from the admin to verify my account.
Did you send your .list file at that e-mail address?
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 06:39 PM   #5698
Ni3lS

No.. How do you make that? Thought that I was supposed to make that after I signed up..
Old June 23rd, 2011, 06:54 PM   #5699
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

No, you send them an ASCII file named yournickname.list with the list of your clinched highways, and they will process it and put the results on the website
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 07:07 PM   #5700
Ni3lS

Oh.. And sorry for asking but how do I create such a list. In what kind of program? Have never heard of an ASCII file..

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands