daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 15th, 2011, 08:10 PM   #5781
julesstoop

Likes (Received): 80

It's getting old, so it's starting to become gray.

Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2011, 08:26 PM   #5782
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

They're working very hard to get A74 finished before the 2012 Floriade (a flower exposition). There seems to be significant portions which are already paved:

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 08:32 PM   #5783
bogdymol
bogdymod

I think it can be completed before that flower exposition. In Romania A1 between Arad and Timisoara looks similar and they want to open it on December 1st.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #5784
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
What happened to that sign?
The sign can be "closed" by placing a grey pannel in front of it, only one half op the pannel fell of!

This also explains the parking allowance / prohibited mixxup
Old July 15th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #5785
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I think it mainly depends on progress in Germany. It won't be of any use without the German section being completed. While Germany commenced their part of the works somewhat earlier, Germans are known for slow progress. Remind that this part of A74 is only U/C for just over half a year, including the winter season.
Old July 15th, 2011, 10:41 PM   #5786
Agnette

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubam4a1 View Post
Agnette, would you be so kind to add speed limits feature to your video? The Dutch infrastructure shown there seems interesting.
I do apologize, but it almost impossible, because I am/was just "tourist" in the Netherlands.
There is a lot of signs on the roads and You can see almost all of them in my video. For general information about speed limits in Nederland look at the photo below:

Agnette no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2011, 01:47 PM   #5787
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

On some motorways speed limits are upgraded to 130 km/h now.
Could that be the reason that somebody tried to bite a chunk of that road sign in that photo above?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 12:43 PM   #5788
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A12 Arnhem

The Council of State has rejected all appeals against the widening of the A12 motorway around Arnhem. The motorway will be widened from 4 to 6 lanes between interchange Waterberg (A50) and Velperbroek (N325/A348). Bridge replacement already began, and a bridge will be demolished this weekend, not requiring a carmageddon closure. Additional widening works can now proceed as planned. The A12 carries 94 000 vehicles per day.

Old July 20th, 2011, 06:20 PM   #5789
Agnette

Likes (Received): 29

Fryslan roads, 28 Mar 2011:

Map
Agnette no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2011, 06:52 PM   #5790
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A20 in Rotterdam is flooded.
Old July 21st, 2011, 10:23 AM   #5791
pilspaus

Likes (Received): 0

Yes that coused pretty much problems on the Rotterdam ring, those showers rained themselves out by hardly move an inch, almost impossible to handle all the rainwater then
pilspaus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 11:31 AM   #5792
Road_UK
BANNED

They are having similar problems in Bavaria at the moment. According to Bayern3 anyway. (to me only the BEST radio station in the world!)
Old July 21st, 2011, 05:43 PM   #5793
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A2 Utrecht - Everdingen

The next few photos were mainly taken for the signage, but they also show the progress of the widening of A2 to 2x4 lanes between interchanges Everdingen and Oudenrijn (and vice versa).

Northbound direction:

1. 3 through lanes at interchange Everdingen.

2. New 4-lane section

3. This motorway will feature 4 lanes in each direction between interchanges Oudenrijn and Deil for a distance of 26 kilometers. North of it is a 29 kilometer section with 10 lanes.

4. The old Lek Bridge to the right. It is currently not used and ends in fields. It will be demolished because costs to keep it up are too high and the bridge has little architectural value (there are dozens of arch bridges of this type in the Netherlands)

5. Construction is currently mainly around Nieuwegein (a suburb of Utrecht)

6. The Netherlands is one of the few (maybe the only) countries that feature distances integrated on overhead signage.

7. A very large overhead sign. Criticism includes the "floating" road numbers instead of being positioned at the baseline.

8. A VMS showing driving times to important interchanges in the region. If you go straight ahead, you'll follow a 10-lane motorway, if you turn off, you'll follow an 8-lane motorway. Every single motorway in Utrecht province has/will be widened.

Southbound direction:

9. Another new overhead sign has been installed. The 5th lane becomes an exit to Nieuwegein.

10. This temporary lane goes across the old shoulder, most of the roadway was of this quality before the widening.

11. Construction at the Nieuwegein southbound entrance.

12. Sign indicating the Jan Blankenbrug (bridge), crossing the Lek River. The bridge already had sufficient space for 4 through lanes each way. They are actually two separate bridges.

13. Coming up to interchange Everdingen, where there are 3 through lanes. A large amount of traffic exits here towards Breda. Up ahead is another 20 kilometer section that has been widened from 4 to 8 lanes.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 01:22 AM   #5794
Road_UK
BANNED

I've got mixed feelings about these falling arrows being displayed now. They say it makes it clearer and safer, and I have always found the German road signage efficient and clear, and the Dutch are copying their system. I guess it is because I'm used to the old Dutch system.

What do you prefer, arrows up or down?
Old July 22nd, 2011, 01:34 AM   #5795
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
What do you prefer, arrows up or down?
Arrows up, because the whole scheme is easier to visualize if you are at an odd position on a wide (4 or more) carriageway.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 10:53 AM   #5796
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

The only thing is that the new scheme has to become mature! There is no consistent set of design criteria yet, the people at autosnelwegen.net get headaches from the inconsistency!
Old July 22nd, 2011, 06:31 PM   #5797
ChrisZwolle
Road user

While shoulder running gradually becomes more common in Europe after the first Dutch experiments in the 1990's (Belgium, France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, United Kingdom), there is also another variant that does include a physical widening. It's called a "plusstrook" in Dutch, which is basically left shoulder running. These additional lanes are generally narrow, and usually have a width restriction of 2.0 or 2.5 meters. Some are wider and could be turned into a general purpose lane.

These three photos show the system on the A28 motorway through Zwolle. It was constructed in 2005/2006.

image hosted on flickr

A28 Zwolle shoulder running-1 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A28 Zwolle shoulder running-2 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A28 Zwolle shoulder running-3 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
Old July 22nd, 2011, 09:58 PM   #5798
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
According to Bayern3 anyway. (to me only the BEST radio station in the world!)
Matter of taste. To me, Bayern 3 is "schon wieder falsche Sendung".
(you should sing that to the tune of their omni-present traffic update announcement jingle)
Old July 23rd, 2011, 01:38 PM   #5799
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pino- View Post
Matter of taste. To me, Bayern 3 is "schon wieder falsche Sendung".
(you should sing that to the tune of their omni-present traffic update announcement jingle)

I just did...
It's that Baaaayerndrei jingle that zips through my head, but I always have it on from Woergl (Austria) up to between Frankfurt and Cologne on the A3. Traffic info is great, music is great and the dj's are great. I used to enjoy OE3 in Austria, but they always play the same music, commercials are irritating and I basically don't like it anymore. In Tirol I listen to Live Radio instead.

UK: BBC R2
France: Nostalgie or 107.7 Autoroute FM, favourite version in the south from Autoroutes du Sud de la France. But Corfiroute and APRR are also ok. SANEF is ok in the daytime, but at night the broadcast always gets interrupted by some recorded voice. (Attention Attention)
Old July 26th, 2011, 10:29 AM   #5800
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A27 Utrecht

The widening of the northbound carriageway of A27 east of Utrecht is on track. The roadway will be widened from 4 to 6 lanes, bringing the total to 10 lanes (6 NB, 4 SB). Around 2020, this section will be widened to 2x7 lanes.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands