daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 26th, 2011, 08:04 PM   #5801
Batavier
"Covfefe" ??? Enjoy!

Likes (Received): 839

I was wondering why the Netherlands still uses the UIT sign on an highway exit, the new road signs on the Dutch highways have these new exit signs combined with an exit number, woudnt it be much smarter to use that new sign for an exit instead of the Dutch word UIT?
Batavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2011, 11:31 AM   #5802
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19427

A58 Eindhoven - Tilburg

All appeals against the construction of the third westbound lane between interchange Batadorp and exit Oirschot have been dismissed. Other appeals have been declared inadmissible. The judgment followed almost 10 months after the new lane has been opened to traffic. There were inconsistencies and errors in the earlier noise impact report, so it had to be revised after the construction was already completed. The council of state now judged all appeals have no legal ground, so the new lane does not have to be closed.

Opening ceremony:

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; July 27th, 2011 at 11:45 AM.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 11:38 AM   #5803
bogdymol
bogdymod

It would have been quite a strange thing to close the lane after they built it...
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 05:19 PM   #5804
spacetweek

Likes (Received): 263

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
They're working very hard to get A74 finished before the 2012 Floriade (a flower exposition).
The Netherlands portion of this is only 1.5 km long
Are there any other motorway segments under construction anywhere in Netherlands?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle
A27 Utrecht
The widening of the northbound carriageway of A27 east of Utrecht is on track. The roadway will be widened from 4 to 6 lanes, bringing the total to 10 lanes (6 NB, 4 SB). Around 2020, this section will be widened to 2x7 lanes.
For a country with such good public transport, I'm surprised you guys need so many motorway lanes. If you expand that to 14 lanes it must surely be one of the widest motorways in the whole of Europe
http://www.irishmotorwayinfo.com/inex/roads/futures
spacetweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 05:22 PM   #5805
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 521

Too much people in this country per km2 ...

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 05:36 PM   #5806
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetweek View Post
For a country with such good public transport, I'm surprised you guys need so many motorway lanes.
Please consider The Netherlands has 16M inhabitants for thirtysome-thousand km2. If you eliminate city states it is the most dense inhabitated one in developed nations.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 05:43 PM   #5807
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yep, also consider the Netherlands does not have very large cities. There are only two cities with more than 500 000 people in the city proper, and only two urban areas are just over 1 million people. Hence, we are polycentric (less dense than the Ruhr area or Silesia), with a lot of cris-cross commuting, the busiest truck routes in Europe, and the busiest rural motorways together with the United Kingdom. Rural motorways frequently exceed 80 000 vehicles per day, and there are only a handful of motorways with less than 40 000 vehicles per day in the periphery of the country.

The Netherlands has many areas what you could consider a green belt. The urban area is not continuous. Commuting distances are therefore rather long. Public transport has a low share of commuters, most of them are students who travel for free. The Netherlands still has the busiest railroad network of Europe with 4 800 scheduled trains per day. But we also have one of the busiest road networks, and more importantly, there are no alternate routes to motorways. Different than in France or Germany, N-roads are no serious alternative to the motorway, even for distances under 20 kilometers. Hence, all traffic is bundled on a few motorways, with high traffic counts, usually between 80 000 and 200 000 vehicles per day.
Old July 28th, 2011, 06:12 PM   #5808
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

The did start experimenting with "U" Umleiting (diversion) routes in the Netherlands as they have in Germany. How is that getting along?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 08:50 PM   #5809
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
The did start experimenting with "U" Umleiting (diversion) routes in the Netherlands as they have in Germany. How is that getting along?
I think it is not going, because the detours are marked for secondary routes with little capacity (mainly because of excess of roundabouts and traffic calming). So if a big motorway is closed on peak times, the less of two evils is to take a long detour via other motorways instead of cutting through urban areas.
Old July 29th, 2011, 07:53 PM   #5810
Mr_Dru

Likes (Received): 558

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetweek View Post
For a country with such good public transport, I'm surprised you guys need so many motorway lanes. If you expand that to 14 lanes it must surely be one of the widest motorways in the whole of Europe
The public transport in the NL is very modern but fragile. Especially in the Randstad area. The whole train-network in the Randstad is like a metro-network. (intercity)trains must slowdown a lot or queing in line because there's a lot of trains at the same track. Also if one train falls out, the half of the Randstad-network has indirect problems. But luckely because of a very good network, there's always an alternative route.

And the (newer)trains aren't weatherproof. Especially in the winter and summer the trains break-down because of technical reasons.
Mr_Dru no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 09:14 PM   #5811
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Is the construction of other (non-road) transport infrastructures as quick as motorways, in the Netherlands?

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 09:22 PM   #5812
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Well, the motorway construction speed in the Netherlands didn't began to pick up until about 2009-2010. However, rail infrastructure expansion projects also fall under the new regulation, which means that procedural times should be similar to motorways, providing there is enough political will.

In recent years, a number of large rail infrastructure projects were completed, but all with significant cost escalations, for instance the Betuwe Freight Railway, the High-Speed Rail and the Randstad Rail. Ongoing projects are the North-South metro line in Amsterdam, the Hanze railway from Zwolle to Lelystad and several smaller projects. However, due to these cost escalations, the political will to initiate new large rail projects has waned in recent years. The high-speed rail to Germany has been postponed indefinitely, and the Zuiderzee railway line to Groningen has been cancelled and funding has been redistributed to a large number of regional / local rail / road / tram projects in northern Netherlands.
Old July 29th, 2011, 09:38 PM   #5813
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Most of these rail project are full of tunnels, which are as everybody knows very expensive and difficult to built in your country. How high are (in proportion) the cost overruns of the Hanzelijn, which has no tunnels (except one short under a canal)?

(sorry for the off topic, if you can and want, can you reply in the rail forum?)

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2011, 09:44 PM   #5814
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Most of the cost overruns were indeed tunnels which were originally not planned, or alignments that were more "fitted" in the landscape than conceived. Both the high-speed rail and the Betuwe route have many significant tunnels. The same is currently happening with road projects. While tunnels are by no means legally necessary in the Netherlands, many view it as a way to "buy off" criticism from local / regional politicians and action groups. However, it's still extremely rare when no major project is taken to the highest court in the Netherlands (the Council of State). People are against it no matter what, but fortunately, many recent record of decisions have been proved to be water tight, as only a small number of projects suffered from delays at the CoS.
Old August 1st, 2011, 12:54 AM   #5815
Daviedoff
Belgian road driver

Likes (Received): 29

Today I was in Halsteren, nearby Bergen op Zoom, to look at the progress of the new part of the A4 highway Bergen op Zoom - Steenbergen - Dinteloord. I made some pictures, you can find them here: https://picasaweb.google.com/daviedoff1979/31juli##

I've made also some videos today...
N259 Halsteren - Dinteloord:

A29 Hellegatsplein:

A29 Oud Beijerland via interchange Vaanplein, A15, Ridderkerk, A16 via Dordrecht till interchange Klaverpolder:

N62 Sloeweg and Westerscheldetunnel:
Daviedoff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 01:08 AM   #5816
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I've just noticed they started signposting Groningen from Utrecht. They never done that before. They always have done with Utrecht in Groningen though.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 09:04 AM   #5817
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yes, and that was stupid, because they signed it via Zwolle. It should've been signed via Almere / Lelystad, because that's slightly shorter and less congested.
Old August 1st, 2011, 11:14 AM   #5818
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 521

Yeah, true. I often drive Eindhoven - A2 - Utrecht - A27 - Lelystad - A6 Groningen cause is faster. Especially now when 130 km/h is in so many stretches

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 04:13 PM   #5819
kosimodo
Mapmaker

Likes (Received): 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Yes, and that was stupid, because they signed it via Zwolle. It should've been signed via Almere / Lelystad, because that's slightly shorter and less congested.
And instead it should be signed Emmen...
Old August 2nd, 2011, 01:20 PM   #5820
Gereke

Likes (Received): 237

Emmen? That would be crazy. The importance of Emmen is like zero. Zwolle would be enough to sign.
Gereke no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands