daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 4th, 2011, 05:48 PM   #5841
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by mappero View Post
Why not? It's possible
The data-cables sending the codes to the signs don't enable 130, there is only a limited amount of codes available.

120 km/h Not yet used
100 km/h Used at variable speed sections, red circle possible
90 km/h For roadworks
80 km/h 80km/h zones
70 km/h For roadworks or starting Trafficjams
50 km/h Trafficjam
30 km/h Exception, used at A20 Hoek van Holland » A13 Den Haag at intersection Kleinpolderplein, because the normal limit is 60km/h already

Arrows and crosses
Red Cross - Lane Closed
Green Arrow - Lane opened
Arrow Left/Right - Lane clossing
End of limitations - Al previous limitations are stopped, looks like this: Ø

Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2011, 06:03 PM   #5842
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 520

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_scotty View Post
The data-cables sending the codes to the signs don't enable 130, there is only a limited amount of codes available.

120 km/h Not yet used
100 km/h Used at variable speed sections, red circle possible
90 km/h For roadworks
80 km/h 80km/h zones
70 km/h For roadworks or starting Trafficjams
50 km/h Trafficjam
30 km/h Exception, used at A20 Hoek van Holland » A13 Den Haag at intersection Kleinpolderplein, because the normal limit is 60km/h already

Arrows and crosses
Red Cross - Lane Closed
Green Arrow - Lane opened
Arrow Left/Right - Lane clossing
End of limitations - Al previous limitations are stopped, looks like this: Ø
It's interesting
I was saying is possible by law to display 130 km/h Technically can be more complicated...

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 09:17 PM   #5843
kubam4a1

Likes (Received): 6

So all you need basically is delete the "80 km/h", insert "130 km/h", and use "90 km/h" in the (reportedly) disliked 80 km/h zones.
Old August 4th, 2011, 10:56 PM   #5844
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by mappero View Post
It's interesting
I was saying is possible by law to display 130 km/h Technically can be more complicated...
In Germany 130 display is quite common. I've even seen 140 a few times.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 12:54 PM   #5845
kubam4a1

Likes (Received): 6

Are you certain that in Germany and not in Poland? Never heard of such speed limit...
Old August 5th, 2011, 12:59 PM   #5846
bogdymol
bogdymod

I've also seen 140 km/h speed limit in Germany
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 01:02 PM   #5847
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

I believe 140 km/h is shown on German A2. These are said to be showing 140 at times:

image hosted on flickr

IMG 546 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

However, the German road signalling infrastructure is more modern than the Netherlands. Our infrastructure dates back to the 80's. It's very expensive (several billion) to replace it all, thus not a very high priority.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 01:08 PM   #5848
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2278

RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 01:14 PM   #5849
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 520

I've seen 140 km/h on A2 and (not 100% sure) on A1 near Bremen

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 03:34 PM   #5850
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Big crash on A2 just south of Eindhoven.

Old August 5th, 2011, 04:19 PM   #5851
ChrisZwolle
Road user

More traffic, less congestion

During Q2 in 2011, traffic increased by 4.5% compared to Q2 2010. Meanwhile, traffic congestion was down 20%, the largest reduction in decades, thanks to several recently completed widening projects. According to Rijkswaterstaat, the additional lanes on A2, A1/A6 and A12 contributed the most to the congestion reduction. Traffic volumes are above pre-recession levels for the first time since 2008.
Old August 5th, 2011, 04:33 PM   #5852
Road_UK
BANNED

Nobody could ever understand why they never began widening the A1, A2, parts of the A4 and the A27 in the first place...
Old August 6th, 2011, 06:10 PM   #5853
ChrisZwolle
Road user

New video, the N206 provincial highway in the province of Zuid-Holland. It was originally planned as the "Dune Freeway", running from Den Haag to Haarlem, but only a short 2x2 section was constructed in Katwijk and Noordwijk. The rest to the Noord-Holland border is a grade-separated expressway though, which abruptly turns into a narrow urban road with cyclists and 30 km/h speed limits the moment you get into the Noord-Holland province. As usual, the N206 has an absurd speed limit of 80 km/h and a passing ban on the entire two-lane section.

Old August 7th, 2011, 02:21 AM   #5854
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

Got quite a nasty surprise when I was following the E19 from Antwerp to Leiden (NL) with part of the A20 being closed. There was no indication whatsoever saying which detour should be taken by people following the E19 signs... Yes, there were major cities posted, but I had no idea which one would have been in the correct direction since I expected I just had to follow the E19 signs, like I did last year.

Luckily I had my satnav with me, which corrected itself when I had to leave the A16 where I hadn't planned to.

Greetings,
Glodenox
Old August 7th, 2011, 10:06 AM   #5855
Road_UK
BANNED

I remember in 1998 they closed the A20 northern section of the Rotterdam Orbital due to road works, and everything was diverted south through the Benelux tunnel (only one tunnel at the time) - but traffic handled it surprisingly well.
Old August 7th, 2011, 11:01 AM   #5856
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Nobody ever uses E-numbers in the Netherlands, and especially not for detours. Belgium is an island in western Europe that relies on E-numbering so much.
Old August 7th, 2011, 11:27 AM   #5857
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Nobody ever uses E-numbers in the Netherlands, and especially not for detours. Belgium is an island in western Europe that relies on E-numbering so much.
That's right. And nobody with a right mind would follow the E19 from Hazeldonk border to Amsterdam anyway. A few years ago there was a sign on the border telling people to follow Rotterdam for Amsterdam on the E19 route. At least now they changed it into Utrecht for Amsterdam, which I always use. (A27, A2)
Old August 7th, 2011, 01:12 PM   #5858
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubam4a1 View Post
So all you need basically is delete the "80 km/h", insert "130 km/h", and use "90 km/h" in the (reportedly) disliked 80 km/h zones.
1. 80 km/h is already in use for the green arrow.
2. 80 km-zones were 100 km restrcted before. Why should they be 90 ? Just abolish them at all...
3. Inserting 130 in not possible. Most signs are still fiberwired with one lamp per visible sign. LED-signs are still a niche...
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2011, 01:51 PM   #5859
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glodenox View Post
Got quite a nasty surprise when I was following the E19 from Antwerp to Leiden (NL) with part of the A20 being closed. There was no indication whatsoever saying which detour should be taken by people following the E19 signs... Yes, there were major cities posted, but I had no idea which one would have been in the correct direction since I expected I just had to follow the E19 signs, like I did last year.

Luckily I had my satnav with me, which corrected itself when I had to leave the A16 where I hadn't planned to.

Greetings,
Glodenox
You followed an E-number? That's a very Belgian thing to do... And not a great idea in the rest of Europe.

EDIT: Chris beat me to it
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2011, 02:02 PM   #5860
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That's all very nice that they don't rely on it in the Netherlands, but there are more people on the roads than just people from the Netherlands

Since the road number is signed, it only makes sense to also add them to the detour sign. Instead of "[place name] via [place name]", it'd be "[place name], [E-number] via [place name]". I doubt that'd be asking too much? If you don't sign them, I wouldn't start using them in the first place. When a road is signed, you expect it to be signed in case of detours as well. Even if it is just a "go via there" message.

@Road_UK: then why the hell are there E19 signs? If it's all fake and has no value whatsoever, then just remove the whole bunch because it's of no use to have signs for something that isn't supported.

@Slagathor: yep, I'm Belgian. So what? If it is a signed route, I should be able to use it.

Greetings,
Glodenox

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands