daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 8th, 2011, 02:55 PM   #5881
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19427

A2 Oudenrijn - Everdingen

The 4th southbound lane between interchanges Oudenrijn and Everdingen opened to traffic yesterday, August 7th. The new lane will reduce traffic congestion, and eliminate a 2x3 bottleneck between a 2x4 and 2x5 section around Utrecht. They will widen the northbound carriageway to 4 lanes as well, which will be completed in October 2011.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2011, 07:39 PM   #5882
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I think from Groningen they have now calculated distance to Amsterdam via Lelystad/Almere. When you get to the roundabout at Joure they used to signpost Amsterdam going both ways: via Emmeloord and Lelystad/Almere A6 (no E-number available) or A7/E22 via Afsluitdijk. Now they signpost option one only, and E22 is signposted as Sneek only. After Sneek you can pick up signs for Amsterdam again, if you're persistent in using A7/E22 all the way. It also really depends where in Amsterdam you're going.

Yeah, my Dutch gf overulled the GPS and me and directed me in Joure on the Emmeloord route. Since the roundabout is turbo design, we had 5 km detour and turned around on the next interchange. The point was, she just did not pay attention and she saw the Amsterdam signpost, thinking about Afsluitdijk. Exactly as you said, there is now only Sneek direction sign now. Thus it confused her and she raised her voice over the navigation .
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 07:52 PM   #5883
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

Are there plans on converting N50 between Emmeloord and Kampen into A50? When we drove through Ens in direction to Urk there was some construction going on making level separated intersection of N50 and N352 and doubling lanes on N50.

crapy pictures from the sight

Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 09:59 PM   #5884
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

It would make a lot of sense if they did upgrade the N50 to the A50 for a number of reasons:

1: Friesland is now linked with the south of the Netherlands, motorway all the way and avoiding the big city's in the Randstad.. It would mean that the A50 starts at Eindhoven, and terminates at Joure.

2: Better connection between Ruhr-gebiet and southern Germany. Traffic coming from Oberhausen and Arnhem can now use the motorway to the Frisian lakes all the way. Half of Germany seems to be there every summer. The other half are right here in Mayrhofen, Austria.

3: Driving from Mayrhofen to Sneek, the last bit on a long journey is always a bit of a drag. I just want to get there, and I am now able to put my foot down in the last hour of my journey.

If they did do it, it would mean that the A6 from Amsterdam (A1) can now terminate at Emmeloord, and they would rename the current A6 between Emmeloord and Joure as A50. Leeuwarden is now also better linked with the A31 from Harlingen (Amsterdam A7) and from Joure it's only two junctions away to Heerenveen where you can change for Leeuwarden. All principal city's in the North now connected! If Kampen doesn't mind having a motorway in their backgarden, then I'm all for it!
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 10:04 PM   #5885
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A new N50 bridge is under construction with a 14-meter clearance. The old Ramspol Bridge is from 1948 and of inferior quality, being built just after the war. A new grade-separated junction is constructed near Ens (which you drove). As this is close to Zwolle, I make frequent updates, just haven't posted it here.

My July 22 update:

1. Nieuwe viaduct N352 over de N50.
image hosted on flickr

N50 22-07-2011-1 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

2. Het viaduct is redelijk steil, en dat viel me bij meer recente projecten op. Ik heb het idee dat er bezuinigd wordt op taluds.
image hosted on flickr

N50 22-07-2011-2 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

3. De N50 richting noorden, waar hij moet aansluiten op de bestaande 2x1 N50 naar Emmeloord. De nieuwe aansluiting heeft de vorm van een halfklaverblad.
image hosted on flickr

N50 22-07-2011-3 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

4. De N50 richting zuiden. Er is een smalle middenberm, waar ongetwijfeld nog een vangrail ingezet zal worden.
image hosted on flickr

N50 22-07-2011-4 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

5. Bovenkant van het viaduct. Ik vond het enigszins substandaard voor een kruising tussen een rijksweg en een provinciale weg uit de 300-serie, maar de N352 is nou ook weer niet zo'n belangrijke route.
image hosted on flickr

N50 22-07-2011-5 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

6. Kijkend richting Kampen. De N50 is goed gevuld.
image hosted on flickr

N50 22-07-2011-6 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

7. De nieuwe rotonde aan de oostzijde van de aansluiting.
image hosted on flickr

N50 22-07-2011-7 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

8. Rotonde aan de westzijde. De maximumsnelheid op de N352 is normaliter 80 km/h, maar 60 km/h ter hoogte van de aansluiting en momenteel nog tijdelijk 30 km/h.
image hosted on flickr

N50 22-07-2011-8 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

9. En dan nu het echte werk, de brug over het Ramsdiep. 2 van 3 brugpijlers zijn gestort.
image hosted on flickr

N50 22-07-2011-9 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

N50 22-07-2011-10 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

11. De derde (meest oostelijke) moet nog.
image hosted on flickr

N50 22-07-2011-11 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

12. Ik vraag me af of die hogespanningsleiding zo dicht over het talud geen problemen gaat geven.
image hosted on flickr

N50 22-07-2011-12 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

13. Dichter bij het Ramsdiep komt een tweede set brugpijlers. Op de achtergrond de huidige Ramspolbrug.
image hosted on flickr

N50 22-07-2011-13 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

N50 22-07-2011-14 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

15. Het werkeiland in het midden van het Ramsdiep. Aan de Overijsselse kant is de voortgang aanzienlijk minder, ik kon enkel wat damwanden zien die nog net boven het water uitstaken.
image hosted on flickr

N50 22-07-2011-15 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
Old August 8th, 2011, 10:09 PM   #5886
Road_UK
BANNED

So no plans for an A50 upgrade? :-(
Old August 8th, 2011, 10:10 PM   #5887
ChrisZwolle
Road user

No. It's not a priority and N50 is probably the most patched-up road in the Netherlands

just 40 km:

* Hattemerbroek - Kampen-Zuid: 2+1
* Kampen-Zuid - Kampereiland: 1x2 100 km/h
* Kampereiland - Ens: 1x2 80 km/h (soon 2x2 100 km/h)
* Ens - Emmeloord: 2x1 100 km/h
Old August 8th, 2011, 10:20 PM   #5888
Road_UK
BANNED

As patched up as it may be...If they just went for that little extra mile after having done so much work, it just would... (see my post 5886)
Old August 8th, 2011, 11:11 PM   #5889
Grisent

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Another video, this time the A9 motorway from interchange Badhoevedorp to Uitgeest, bypass the Amsterdam region. A map is provided at the beginning of the video.
Why is the route designated with a yellow "2" (next to "A9"), on all the signs between knooppunt Velsen and Heemskerk? I haven't seen this before.
Old August 9th, 2011, 01:37 AM   #5890
Planen B

Likes (Received): 1

It indicates a detour route for people to follow, in case of roadworks for example. Possibly a local road or provincial highway is having some works done, it'll say "Follow 2 for X" before you hit the works.
Planen B no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2011, 08:31 AM   #5891
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

When the Velsertunnel is closed, it indicates the route to the A22 exit Beverwijk coming from the south.
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2011, 05:14 PM   #5892
ChrisZwolle
Road user

30% less congestion in July

According to ANWB - the Dutch motorist and tourist association - traffic congestion was reduced by 30% during the month of July, compared to July 2010. Especially off-peak congestion reduced significantly. This can be attributed to the improved road capacity and fewer recreational traffic due to the depressing summer weather.
Old August 11th, 2011, 11:46 PM   #5893
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 521

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
... and fewer recreational traffic due to the depressing summer weather.

Hope the suicide index increase this year... What a weather

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 12:03 PM   #5894
kubam4a1

Likes (Received): 6

Well, what you could do for recreation instead of complaining is take your car and a camera and...

Btw, is the traffic on N50 rather free flowing, or is it congested?
Old August 12th, 2011, 12:25 PM   #5895
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The traffic volumes on N50 are not exceptional north of Kampen, but there are several problems. The existing bridge dates back from 1948 and is technically worn out and needs replacement anyway. The current clearance is 5.6 m, which means that it has to open many times per day allow shipping to pass. It's a busy shipping route. The N50 is also above-average dangerous, with 1 fatality per year on average. There is also no alternate route for slow traffic, which is important in this agricultural region.

The current bridge opens an average of 22 times per day, with 4 minutes each. However, before the queue disappeared, it takes more time. The number of summer openings are much higher, up to 50 or 80 times per day. Most openings are during the day because apart from professional shipping, there is also significant recreational shipping (mostly sail boats) which mainly require day openings.

The new bridge will have a clearance of 14 meters, which is comparable to other major bridges in the region, like the Eiland Bridge (N50) and Ketel Bridge (A6). This doesn't make it a fixed bridge, openings are still necessary, but far less. An aqueduct or higher bridge is not economically feasible.
Old August 12th, 2011, 12:41 PM   #5896
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6169

Quote:
Originally Posted by mappero View Post
Hope the suicide index increase this year... What a weather
Global warming. Get used to it, this is the new normal.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 02:21 PM   #5897
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
Global warming. Get used to it, this is the new normal.
Global warming
It's not getting warmer, it's getting colder.
Old August 12th, 2011, 02:56 PM   #5898
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1938

Global warning

I cannot believe how much traffic handles the E35 North of Utrech and the E25 South of Utrech (Or simplier: A2), they made it 2x4 or more for 90 kilometers...
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

Last edited by CNGL; August 12th, 2011 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Edit: 90 km, no more than 100.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 03:17 PM   #5899
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's already done A2 has 2x5 lanes north of Utrecht and 2x4 lanes south of it until the A15 interchange (Deil). Then it's 2x3 lanes to 's-Hertogenbosch and 4x2 lanes around the Brabant capital. Construction will start later this year to widen 's-Hertogenbosch - Eindhoven to 2x3 lanes. The Eindhoven bypass already has 8 - 10 lanes. A2 is the main intercity aorta of the Netherlands. There are almost no sections with less than 100 000 vehicles per day between Amsterdam and Eindhoven.
Old August 12th, 2011, 04:21 PM   #5900
Agnette

Likes (Received): 29

One more video from the North Netherlands:

Map: http://goo.gl/TdXNU
Agnette no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands