daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 14th, 2011, 09:04 PM   #5921
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A 1920's drive-thru house in Amsterdam:
I've just remembered. We have something like that in Arad too
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2011, 10:53 PM   #5922
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
They do ask us to use AS24 or EDS a bit more, they are unmanned stations off the motorway. I can't be bothered. I want to fill up, coffee and keep going. Eurotrafic is THE card for me. I can pay the tolls in France and Spain with that as well.
For Italy I've got my VIA-card.
Why not use a normal debet-bankcard for paying fuel ?
And if you want to have only one card for paying tolls and fuel, you can always choose a credit-card.
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 10:57 PM   #5923
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswnl View Post
And if you want to have only one card for paying tolls and fuel, you can always choose a credit-card.
Because the tank card companies provide full service with it, e.g. tax returns for VAT and excise taxes across the countries. You also get volume discounts... etc.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 11:06 PM   #5924
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswnl View Post
This is very simple:

1: Company gets easier tax-returns using fuelcards.

2: We are not meant to buy cigarettes, food or a playstation on these cards. Fuel, oil, screenwash and tolls only.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 11:19 PM   #5925
Trilesy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
I think it's also a good idea to always display the name of the gas station on the signs. (BP, Shell, Total etc)
They have always done this in Holland, Italy and France, in Germany they only started doing this a few years ago. They never do in the UK.
U.S. is the same way. Normally within a mile or so before each exit there are signs displaying all gas stations, fast food restaurants and hotels located near that exit. It saves lots of time when you want to eat/fill up at a specific place/gas station.
Trilesy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 08:20 AM   #5926
DesertEagle091
Veritas

Likes (Received): 2

I must visit NED one day
DesertEagle091 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 03:41 PM   #5927
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19405

A15 Arnhem - Zevenaar

The first detailed EIA survey has been published today for the A15 missing link in Eastern Netherlands. The project is called the "robust road network in the Arnhem / Nijmegen region" and is aimed at the improvement of the road network. The working name is cleverly chosen, because an "robust" network means new links are preferred, and alternatives like widening existing roads or investing in public transport are not too serious / competitive alternatives. Although this is just the first detailed survey, it's already more or less decided that the A15 will be extended to A12 with a bridge across the Rhine. The other alternatives are basically formalities for comparison. The EIA determined investing in public transport would save 3,000 daily car trips in the region (where freeways carry 100,000+ vehicles) so that's most likely not an alternative, especially at the cost-benefit ratio.

1. Extension alternative

2. clustering alternative (A15 + existing Betuwe route)

3. Regional combination alternatives 1 & 2

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; August 15th, 2011 at 03:49 PM.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 09:35 PM   #5928
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Wouldn't be the second alternative better? (it avoids charging the A12 with A15-A18 traffic)

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 09:37 PM   #5929
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I think so, from a traffic perspective. However, A12 needs to be widened anyway, it currently carries 80 000 vehicles per day and is often congested. However, alternative 2 is more than € 200 million more expensive than alternative 1. Plus it affects more people in the city of Zevenaar.
Old August 15th, 2011, 10:14 PM   #5930
SkyView

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
I still believe that the Netherlands has the worst 20th century architecture in the world together with Belgium and the UK.
Are you kidding ?

Speaking of different worlds, how can you put Belgium in the same league as the Netherlands and the UK...
I'm curious about your top 5 of best 20th century architecture !
SkyView no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 10:29 PM   #5931
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyView View Post
Are you kidding ?

Speaking of different worlds, how can you put Belgium in the same league as the Netherlands and the UK...
I'm curious about your top 5 of best 20th century architecture !
Very simple. I don't like brick buildings. I've lived in all three countries, and especially Belgium and the UK have the worst looking red-brick housing estates in the world. Whether its Charlerois or Birmingham or Liverpool or around Kortrijk... Very depressing stuff. And I find parts of Holland equally as depressing. Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague but also Utrecht, Haarlem, Groningen... All these countries have beautiful ancient architecture, and then they have to spoil it all with everything that's wrong with post-war building projects.

I don't have a top 5. But I do find even the worst deprived French housing estates a bit friendlier then parts in the above mentioned countries, the Lille region not counted. I have been in a few of them in Lyon, Paris and shithole new-towns like Evreux. Even though a lot of them are no-go areas for police. Other than that I feel less depressed in Italy or Spain. Also Germany seems more maintained, even in Kreuzberg, Berlin.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 10:47 AM   #5932
woutero

Likes (Received): 41

I would not confuse 20th century with post-war. Dutch architecture from 1900 - 1940 is generally beautiful imo. Post-war, well that's a different story.
woutero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 11:09 AM   #5933
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A2 's-Hertogenbosch - Eindhoven

The record of decision for the widening of A2 between 's-Hertogenbosch (Den Bosch) and Eindhoven has been published today. This is the final step towards the widening of the last 2x2 motorway section between Amsterdam and Eindhoven. Construction is planned to begin later this year, and is slated for completion in 2013. There was an usual high amount of public input, over 750 individual public inputs. Normally there are 50 - 150 for such widening projects, occassionally over 500. Not all inputs are necessarily negative.

The record of decision can be viewed online. It's entirely in Dutch, non-Dutch may be interested in the map designs (ZIP, 25 MB)
Old August 16th, 2011, 02:29 PM   #5934
woutero

Likes (Received): 41

Things have developed quickly. I remember this section having traffic lights when I was a kid.
woutero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 02:32 PM   #5935
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yep, it wasn't completely a motorway until 1996, and A50 didn't exist in that area until 2005 either. It shows how dynamic the area is.
Old August 16th, 2011, 04:18 PM   #5936
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I think so, from a traffic perspective. However, A12 needs to be widened anyway, it currently carries 80 000 vehicles per day and is often congested. However, alternative 2 is more than € 200 million more expensive than alternative 1. Plus it affects more people in the city of Zevenaar.
I think alternative 2 is by far the best one, but, they need an extra road &exit going from Westerfoort/Duiven to the extended A15.

Regiocombi looks ****.

Alternative 1 will congest the A12 more imho.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 05:07 PM   #5937
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A12 will be widened to 2x3 in all alternatives.

The main problem of the regiocombi is that the traffic volumes on A12 north of Arnhem become too high, especially the truck volumes. It is predicted that a staggering 41 000 trucks will utilize A12 between interchanges Grijsoord and Waterberg. It's even a doubt if 2x4 lanes can handle that, combined with commuter traffic. A15 will significantly relieve A12 from truck traffic, since it's more efficient to use A15 directly into Germany.

The cost of regiocombi 1 are very high. A new Rhine River Bridge would need to be constructed. A12 needs to be widened. The IJssel River Bridge may need a widening as well. The A12 is currently already widened to 2x3 (Waterberg - Velperbroek), which would not be enough without an extended A15. The costs of grade-separating N325 will be quite high, while it already operates near capacity of a 2x2 motorway (70 000 vehicles per day). Hence, a new Andrej Sacharov Bridge may be necessary as well.

So the real alternative to A15 is constructing 3 similar new bridges. The only feasible and cost-efficient solution is an extension of A15 and widening of A12 east of Arnhem.

And, the project is named a "robust network". A wider A12 may be somewhat more robust, but it doesn't make a network.
Old August 16th, 2011, 05:14 PM   #5938
ChrisZwolle
Road user

This is quite interesting:

Old August 16th, 2011, 05:22 PM   #5939
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

"more than 4 lanes" or "more than or equal to 4 lanes"?
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2011, 05:25 PM   #5940
ChrisZwolle
Road user

more than 4 lanes. Or: 6 lanes or more.

An intermodal center was planned here (Road + Rail + Water) but it was scrapped in 2010 due to the lack of interest. Still, it has potential, the busiest inland waterway of Europe, the best freight railway in Europe and an increasingly capable motorway network.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands