daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 16th, 2011, 07:15 PM   #5941
ArthurK
Legum Magister Scientiae

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
An intermodal center was planned here (Road + Rail + Water) but it was scrapped in 2010 due to the lack of interest. Still, it has potential, the busiest inland waterway of Europe, the best freight railway in Europe and an increasingly capable motorway network.
The extended A15 will increase that potential. The location would have even more potential if the northern and southern branch of the Betuwe Freight Railroad would be constructed. Those branches were cancelled from the original plans of the Betuwe Freight Railroad. Now, freight trains from the northern Netherlands and northern Germany (via Bad Bentheim) are routed via Amersfoort-Amsterdam-Gouda-Rotterdam. A route with very heavy passenger traffic and right through city centers.

The north branch of the Betuwer Freight Railroad would follow alternative 1 to the A12, and then continue to the Twente region. I hope it returns to the table in the future.
ArthurK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 17th, 2011, 09:16 PM   #5942
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19390

A12 Arnhem: completion one year ahead of schedule

Rijkswaterstaat will commence large-scale construction on August 29th, for the widening of A12 between interchanges Waterberg and Velperbroek in northern Arnhem. A minimum of 2x2 lanes will remain in operation at all times during the day. The speed limit will be lowered from 100 to 90 km/h. The preparatory works went smoother than expected, and contractor Heijmans adjusted their work schedule, which means the widening will be completed one year ahead of schedule, in 2013 instead of 2014.

The A12, which opened in 1961, carries 90 000 vehicles per day and is significantly over capacity. It will be widened from 4 to 6 lanes.

A temporary bridge has been constructed, and the existing bridge has been demolished, to make way for the A12.
image hosted on flickr
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 08:30 PM   #5943
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
I should think so. We have quite many of these in The Hague (apartment buildings). Most of them are from the 1920s and 1930s but I don't know if that was the only period of time in which they were commonly built (maybe Chris knows):

Benjamin Franklin's House in Philadelphia:

http://www.ushistory.org/tour/franklin-court.htm

(Actually, that's not his house but, his print shop; it opens into a courtyard where the actual house used to be.)

Don't know when it was built, but Franklin died in 1790....

The French call that sort of gap in a building to permit carriages to enter a porte cochère.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 08:35 PM   #5944
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilesy View Post
I'm curious, this little white sign underneath (gas station 17 km), does that show the distance until next gas station? If that's the case I like this idea, it helps plan ahead.
The Pennsylvania Turnpike has those too. :-) ("Next service area X miles" at the bottom of the blue sign for the service area that's coming up.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old August 18th, 2011, 11:18 PM   #5945
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

The Netherlands were actually one of the last countries in Western-Europe to introduce that type of information on the signs. On other European countries, the level of information provided is often higher. In France, for instance, they also give you the distance to the next restaurant (example), in the UK and many other countries the next services on intersecting roads are also featured. As far as that's concerned, I'd say that the Dutch information on this point is relatively poor.
Old August 19th, 2011, 12:04 PM   #5946
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Benjamin Franklin's House in Philadelphia:

http://www.ushistory.org/tour/franklin-court.htm

(Actually, that's not his house but, his print shop; it opens into a courtyard where the actual house used to be.)

Don't know when it was built, but Franklin died in 1790....

The French call that sort of gap in a building to permit carriages to enter a porte cochère.
That's slightly different though. Gates like these usually lead to court yards or squares. We have those as well, they're usually from the 16th-19th century. The 20th century versions (like the one in the picture I posted) lead to proper streets.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 08:56 PM   #5947
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A2 Amsterdam - Utrecht in 1965:

A2 Amsterdam - Utrecht in 2011:
image hosted on flickr

A2 Abcoude-8 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

It has changed somewhat...
Old August 20th, 2011, 07:38 AM   #5948
Trilesy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
The Pennsylvania Turnpike has those too. :-) ("Next service area X miles" at the bottom of the blue sign for the service area that's coming up.)
I guess I never paid attention.
Trilesy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2011, 10:45 AM   #5949
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pino- View Post
The Netherlands were actually one of the last countries in Western-Europe to introduce that type of information on the signs. On other European countries, the level of information provided is often higher. In France, for instance, they also give you the distance to the next restaurant (example), in the UK and many other countries the next services on intersecting roads are also featured. As far as that's concerned, I'd say that the Dutch information on this point is relatively poor.
Well, the other side of the coin is giving too much information at high speed: I often miss the distance to the next service area on those Pennsylvania signs because I'm looking at the half-dozen logos for food places and the like.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old August 21st, 2011, 07:31 PM   #5950
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Dutch road network is apart from undercapacity, also vulnerable because of its many movable bridges. Even motorways have a significant amount of drawbridges, including the busiest motorway in the country.

This is A9 near Amstelveen, after the Bridge across the Ring Canal malfunctioned.

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; August 21st, 2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old August 21st, 2011, 07:53 PM   #5951
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2110

Do you have statistics about Dutch car ownership and usage? You know, how many km per car per year, how many of them on motorways etc..
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2011, 08:08 PM   #5952
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
The Dutch road network is apart from undercapacity....
"Apart from undercapacity"? Not sure what you mean.

En ik wacht nog op die vertaling (a quote from German Wikipedia in Deutsche Autobahnen):

Quote:

Wikipedia:
It didn't pick up the German.

Quote:
Vertaling, a.u.b.? ;-)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old August 21st, 2011, 08:15 PM   #5953
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There are 10 523 000 vehicles in the Netherlands, including 7 735 000 passenger cars. Which is 463 passenger cars per 1000 inhabitants, or 1.047 vehicles per household. The average household size is 2.22 persons. 24.3 % of the households have 2 or more passenger cars. The amount of passenger cars increased by 22 % in the past 10 years while population increased by 4.5 % in the same time. The amount of kilometers driven by passenger cars increased by 5 % in the past 5 years. The average passenger car drives 13 600 kilometers per year. The average gasoline-powered car drives 10 950 kilometers per year, while the average diesel-powered car drives 24 551 kilometers per year. The average passenger car registered to a company drives 32 278 kilometers per year (diesel). 7.2 % of the Dutch population uses public transport. This is the highest among 15 - 25 year olds with 20.3 % and 3 % of the population who have a drivers license and own a passenger car use public transport.

Old August 21st, 2011, 08:15 PM   #5954
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
"Apart from undercapacity"? Not sure what you mean.

En ik wacht nog op die vertaling (a quote from German Wikipedia in Deutsche Autobahnen)

Most definitely not German

Quote:
There are 10 523 000 vehicles in the Netherlands, including 7 735 000 passenger cars. Which is 463 passenger cars per 1000 inhabitants, or 1.047 vehicles per household. The average household size is 2.22 persons. 24.3 % of the households have 2 or more passenger cars. The amount of passenger cars increased by 22 % in the past 10 years while population increased by 4.5 % in the same time. The amount of kilometers driven by passenger cars increased by 5 % in the past 5 years. The average passenger car drives 13 600 kilometers per year. The average gasoline-powered car drives 10 950 kilometers per year, while the average diesel-powered car drives 24 551 kilometers per year. The average passenger car registered to a company drives 32 278 kilometers per year (diesel). 7.2 % of the Dutch population uses public transport. This is the highest among 15 - 25 year olds with 20.3 % and 3 % of the population who have a drivers license and own a passenger car use public transport.

When I asked "do you have some statistics", I knew it was just a rhetorical question
Thanks, pal.
Old August 21st, 2011, 08:29 PM   #5955
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Most definitely not German
Dutch (possibly not very good): "I'm still waiting for that translation." The quote from Wikipedia on the German Autobahnen thread was in German. But my German's rusty.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old August 21st, 2011, 08:38 PM   #5956
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Dutch (possibly not very good): "I'm still waiting for that translation." The quote from Wikipedia on the German Autobahnen thread was in German. But my German's rusty.
Yes, I know, I was just buying some time for the translation:

Here it is (very rough and possibly wrong) :
Quote:
Due to the beginning of the Second Word War, the construction started only in some places, the clearest evidence of the former building activity is clearly recognizable on aerial photographs on the section Allac-Untermenzinger, along with remnants of the section for the intersection with BAB8; a never used bridge in that spot was demolished only in mid-90s. Furthermore, cut forest sections can be found north of Hasenbergl
Old August 24th, 2011, 08:39 PM   #5957
Agnette

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
more than 4 lanes. Or: 6 lanes or more...
Where is the widest road in the Netherlands? How many lanes?
Agnette no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2011, 09:18 PM   #5958
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnette View Post
Where is the widest road in the Netherlands? How many lanes?
I guess that would be A1 close to Amsterdam:

image hosted on flickr

Picture taken by ChrisZwolle
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2011, 09:28 PM   #5959
lafreak84
Free Palestine

Likes (Received): 535

Also A4 through Schipol(AMS). 10 or 12 lanes, I forgot.
Old August 25th, 2011, 12:20 AM   #5960
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

The widest road in the Netherlands is the A15/A16 corridor near Ridderkerk. It has 4 carriageways and a total of 16 lanes. The roadsections with the widest carriageways are:
A2 near Abcoude (6 lanes, 2 hard shoulders)
A4 near Schiphol, north of tunnel (6 lanes, 1 hard shoulder)
A4 near Schiphol, south of tunnel (6 lanes, 1 hard shoulder)
A12 near De Meern (6 lanes, 1 hard shoulder)
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands