daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 15th, 2011, 07:57 PM   #6041
kubam4a1

Likes (Received): 6

Perhaps it is due to technological issues - back when those VMSs were designed, it might have been not so easy as now to display the red circle. But had I to bet, drivers got the message.

Back when speed limit increase to 130 was discussed, it was mentioned that VMS will be used not only to lowering speeds (back then it was about the 100 speed limit and its possible increase to 120). Perhaps along with the section control, at the superb-motorway A2 VMS should be installed, with common soruce of electric power, so that when the speed limit falls, it wouldn't be enforced so much anyway
kubam4a1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2011, 08:40 PM   #6042
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 520

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Why isn't the red circle used on electronic speed limits signs?
Yeah... This is long story... When I drive in The Netherlands (quite often on this motorway through Zwolle) and see those displayed speed limit signs with digit only I always understand (as almost all European drivers) as advisory speed limit. So mostly driving faster then on those signs. Cause those don't have red circle indeed!
But I've heard it's not correct with Dutch driving rules...

Other hand, you can see also displayed speed limit signs with red circle... So double standard within one small country?

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 08:49 PM   #6043
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mappero View Post
Yeah... This is long story... When I drive in The Netherlands (quite often on this motorway through Zwolle) and see those displayed speed limit signs with digit only I always understand (as almost all European drivers) as advisory speed limit. So mostly driving faster then on those signs. Cause those don't have red circle indeed!
But I've heard it's not correct with Dutch driving rules...

Other hand, you can see also displayed speed limit signs with red circle... So double standard within one small country?
This was also my first reaction: recommended driving speed.

PS: you stole my signature It seems that you have it for a long time
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

Last edited by bogdymol; September 15th, 2011 at 09:48 PM.
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 09:30 PM   #6044
petertenthije

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
This was also my first reaction: recommended driving speed.
The reason there is no red circle is because the Netherlands was one of the first countries to use dynamic signalling, if not the first. They where introduced here in the '70s. A lot of the signs currently in use are older then the latest generation of signs that display colours.

The older signs are gradually being replaced with more modern signs. This explains why on some motorways you can now find matrix signs with the red circle.

I've heard there are cases where a new sign has been placed, but where the red circle is not (yet) used. In addition to replacing the sign itself the cables need to be replaced as well, since the bandwidth to control them is insufficient.
petertenthije no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 09:46 PM   #6045
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 520

But for example on new N2, A2 within Eindhoven area, on A28 Zwolle - Meppel where new display signs were installed (1-2 years ago) you can see still advisory speed display...

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 10:18 PM   #6046
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19413

As far as I know it also depends on the infrastructure between the traffic control center and the motorway itself, not only the new MTM on the motorway itself.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 10:51 PM   #6047
BigMike90

Likes (Received): 4

bit of a hectic week on the dutch motorways, lot of real heavy traffic jams. a50 shutdown earlier this week, creating chaos on the A12 near Arnhem and the regional roads round Apeldoorn and A1. Later the problems on the A29 to bergen op zoom. Another shutdown near Amsterdam causing major delays, costing a lot of money.
BigMike90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2011, 10:57 PM   #6048
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Don't forget the chaos near Utrecht today
Printscreen by ChrisZwolle:
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 09:07 PM   #6049
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Update A4 Halsteren

All pics can be seen here
I'm too lazy to translate everything, so all the texts are in Dutch
Yes, I'm too lazy to use Google Translate

^Deze geul is in de afgelopen week gegraven, het lijkt erop dat hier een aantal buizen zullen worden geplaatst om het water van de sloot aan de ene kant te kunnen verplaatsen naar de andere kant.

^Hier de buizen die zullen worden geplaatst, of eerder gezegd herplaatst. Ze zien er gebruikt uit

^De brug is inmiddels verbonden met de grond eromheen, er is deze week asfalt gelegd waardoor men er (als het niet afgezet zou zijn d.m.v. grote blokken) in principe overheen kan rijden.

^De geul gezien vanaf het viaduct, met links de buizen.

^Overzichtsfoto in noordelijke richting

^Hier moet de oprit richting Rotterdam komen, vooralsnog ligt er alleen nog de afrit vanuit Bergen Op Zoom naast

Het was behoorlijk druk. ook op de N259 stond in beide richtingen file (overigens ook op de oude N259 in Halsteren stond een flinke file voor de aansluiting met de A4/N259/N286).
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 11:46 PM   #6050
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Some pictures by koef of the northbound A2 widening to 4 lanes near Nieuwegein (suburb of Utrecht). They're progressing quite well, the entire widening is executed in just over 6 months. It should be finished in about 2 months.

Old September 17th, 2011, 10:53 AM   #6051
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A31 motorway west of Leeuwarden used as a parking lot for the open days of the Royal Air Force.

Old September 17th, 2011, 11:40 AM   #6052
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

No it's not. It's a traffic jam, and they heard I was coming and were making way for me.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2011, 12:48 PM   #6053
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
No it's not. It's a traffic jam, and they heard I was coming and were making way for me.
From 0:25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GT3G...eature=related
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3GT3GX6n-y8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old September 17th, 2011, 09:41 PM   #6054
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I love that film. B-E-A-utifil. Good...Good...Gooooooood.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2011, 09:49 PM   #6055
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_scotty View Post
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3GT3GX6n-y8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I think you meant...

For put YouTube videos here, you have to write [youtube]Here the code of the video[/youtube].
The same for videos from blip.tv, dailymotion, Google video, My video, Rutube and Vimeo. With their names between brackets, of course.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2011, 06:06 PM   #6056
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Exact same location: A2 northbound just south of Beesd IC

2005:

2010:
image hosted on flickr

A2-13-10-2010-4 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
Old September 18th, 2011, 11:46 PM   #6057
Kaaskop
Netherlands

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A31 motorway west of Leeuwarden used as a parking lot for the open days of the Royal Air Force.
Fantastic photos!

One note: the official English name of the Koninklijke Luchtmach is Royal Netherlands Air Force. The Royal Air Force is the military aviation branch of the UK. Sorry for being such a whiner :P
Kaaskop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2011, 10:59 AM   #6058
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6165

I particularly like that they went with "Royal Netherlands Air Force" because at the backdrop of WWII they thought "Royal Dutch" could be interpreted as "Deutsch" leading to planes being unnecessarily shot down.

I think if I were a pilot at the time, I would prefer "Netherlands" on my plane as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Exact same location: A2 northbound just south of Beesd IC

2005:
http://i.imgur.com/HOb1H.jpg

2010:
image hosted on flickr

A2-13-10-2010-4 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
Excellent.

One question, however: the sound barrier on the right appears... rusty further down. Or is it just brown in color? What's going on there?
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2011, 02:49 PM   #6059
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

It was installed rusty.. Don't know..looks fancy
Old September 19th, 2011, 06:11 PM   #6060
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6102

Indeed installed rusty.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chriszw...n/photostream/

Photo by Chris
MrAronymous está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote