daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 8th, 2011, 12:49 AM   #6141
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

Actually the Noordoostpolder is older than the rest of Flevoland, it was developed from 1942 onwards. The old Ramspol Bridge is only a few years younger, it opened in 1948 and will be put out of service in 2013 after 65 years of service.

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; October 8th, 2011 at 11:14 AM.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2011, 01:36 AM   #6142
Godius
Nitimur in vetitum

Likes (Received): 4069

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Actually the Noordoostpolder is older than the rest of Flevoland, it was developed from 1942 onwards. The old Ramspol Bridge is only a few years older, it opened in 1948 and will be put out of service in 2013 after 65 years of service.
Yes indeed, too bad the land reclamation swallowed up isles like Urk and Schokland. It kind of a sad thing really...
Godius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 10:20 AM   #6143
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godius View Post
Yes indeed, too bad the land reclamation swallowed up isles like Urk and Schokland. It kind of a sad thing really...
It think the idea was to ultimately reclaim more land. If so, it did make sense to tie Urk to firm land.

It's quite drive to drive to/from Urk (which I did twice) because you can easily see where the island ends and the reclaimed land begins.

Else, they could have left a larg-ish channel bewteen Urk and the Noordostpolder, like Flevopolder, which is an "island" with no land connection to mainland.
Old October 8th, 2011, 07:18 PM   #6144
zsmg

Likes (Received): 1202

Why isn't Zuid Holland joining the Randstad province?
zsmg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 07:29 PM   #6145
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Apparently there is already a lot of coöperation between The Hague and Rotterdam. But there is no such coöperation in the northern part of the Randstad. By creating this province they're trying to increase the level of coöperation in that part of the Randstad. They're also hoping to give the economy in the northern part of the Randstad a boost because of this.
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 07:39 PM   #6146
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3452

Zuid Holland is economically the most stable province in Holland. Doesn't need any partner provinces or anything.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 10:29 PM   #6147
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Why not leave things as they are. Why always have to complicate things with these province and borough council mergers. I'm fully against it.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2011, 11:40 PM   #6148
Suburbanist
on the road

Bit off-topic, but let me comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Why not leave things as they are. Why always have to complicate things with these province and borough council mergers. I'm fully against it.
I find some council mergers quite cool, with those Geementen formed by many towns, none with a clear prominence over the others (right by Tilburg there is Gilze-en-Rijen). It allows smaller towns to be able to affords some critical resources, particularly manpower, that are needed for a 21st century city management but would be a burden if a 1000 town wants to hire them alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3lS View Post
Zuid Holland is economically the most stable province in Holland. Doesn't need any partner provinces or anything.

Zeeland should join Zuid Holland and form some kind of "Delta Province" as they have many bodies of water flowing to/near the sea.

I also think Limburg should merge with Noord Brabant, but that the extreme West of Noord Brabant should be handled to the "Delta Province" and the extreme north of Limburg handled to Gelderland.
Old October 9th, 2011, 12:05 AM   #6149
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

I'll keep this off-topic part short
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Zeeland should join Zuid Holland and form some kind of "Delta Province" as they have many bodies of water flowing to/near the sea.
That's not gonna happen, I can see why you think that way, but Zeeland doesn't have much to do with Zuid Holland (neither with Noord Brabant btw)

Quote:
but that the extreme West of Noord Brabant should be handled to the "Delta Province" and the extreme north of Limburg handled to Gelderland.
First part:

That will never happen, do you have any idea how much we 'hate' people from Zeeland here in West-Noord-Brabant? There is way to much rivalry between Zeeland and W.N.Brabant.
Last point: agreed
Old October 9th, 2011, 01:52 AM   #6150
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
I'll keep this off-topic part short

That's not gonna happen, I can see why you think that way, but Zeeland doesn't have much to do with Zuid Holland (neither with Noord Brabant btw)
They could use it as an excuse to transform N-59 into a big Middleburg-Rotterdam highway A59. N57 would also be transformed in a highway to link with A59.

Zeeland is the most underserved province in terms of highways. It has just A58.
Old October 9th, 2011, 02:01 AM   #6151
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

And the A256
But I get what you mean. The N57 and N62 could form a good north-south route, but don't get your hopes up, because it will take a long time before that will happen, if it even happens at all...

PS: The N57 is Middelburg - Rotterdam, the N59 is Burgh-Haamstede - Interchange Hellegatsplein
Old October 9th, 2011, 06:49 AM   #6152
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist
Bit off-topic, but let me comment

I find some council mergers quite cool, with those Geementen formed by many towns, none with a clear prominence over the others (right by Tilburg there is Gilze-en-Rijen). It allows smaller towns to be able to affords some critical resources, particularly manpower, that are needed for a 21st century city management but would be a burden if a 1000 town wants to hire them alone.

I also think Limburg should merge with Noord Brabant, but that the extreme West of Noord Brabant should be handled to the "Delta Province" and the extreme north of Limburg handled to Gelderland.
I will taje
Old October 9th, 2011, 08:44 AM   #6153
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
There is a proposal for a province merger in the Netherlands. The provinces of Noord-Holland, Utrecht and Flevoland should merge and form a North Randstad Province. Population: 4.1 million (largest in the Netherlands).

Whoa. Is it likely to pass?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 12:36 PM   #6154
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I think it just might. Provincial identity is not really significant in the Netherlands, apart from some provinces. It's more about cities or regions than provinces. As far as I know Flevoland has been the most vocal opponent so far, they prefer a smaller scale. Provincial issues are usually not the top priority for citizens. Voter turnout at provincial elections has dropped significantly since 1960's and is mostly below 50% in recent years.
Old October 9th, 2011, 01:18 PM   #6155
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

Quote:
They could use it as an excuse to transform N-59 into a big Middleburg-Rotterdam highway A59. N57 would also be transformed in a highway to link with A59.

Zeeland is the most underserved province in terms of highways. It has just A58.
Zeeland stands to gain nothing from an A57. All they would get out of it is heavy truck traffic from Rotterdam Zeebrugge/Gent/Antwerp. Nobody in their right mind would sign up for that.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 02:15 PM   #6156
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A50 Valburg - Ewijk

Bridge works have been going on for a while now, but now they also started with the widening of A50 from 4 to 8 lanes. Some photos by captain007:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old October 9th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #6157
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
Zeeland stands to gain nothing from an A57. All they would get out of it is heavy truck traffic from Rotterdam Zeebrugge/Gent/Antwerp. Nobody in their right mind would sign up for that.
Vlissingen harbour would get a lot more accessible, and that might give the local economy a boost. But at this moment there are more important locations in The Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I will taje
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Whoa. Is it likely to pass?
As Chris said Flevoland is the biggest vocal opponent, but Utrecht also has one big demand: They don't want to be second after Amsterdam, but they want to have equal chances as Amsterdam. But I don't think this will be much of a problem.
Old October 10th, 2011, 07:01 PM   #6158
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A2 Widening completed

The widening of the A2 motorway to 2x4 lanes between interchanges Oudenrijn and Everdingen near the city of Utrecht has been completed this morning. A lane was added in both directions, bringing the A2 to an eight-lane configuration all the way from Utrecht to Deil over a distance of 27 kilometers. In addition, the A2 north of this section has 10 lanes over a distance of another 27 kilometers, solidifying the A2's status as one of the highest capacity corridors in Europe.

I took some photos today:

Southbound:

image hosted on flickr

A2-1 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A2-2 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A2-3 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A2-4 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A2-5 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

Northbound:

image hosted on flickr

A2-6 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A2-7 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A2-8 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A2-9 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A2-10 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A2-11 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A2-12 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
Old October 10th, 2011, 11:02 PM   #6159
Road_UK
BANNED

Lane discipline in the Netherlands is so much better then in the UK these days. Everyone seems to keep to the inside in Holland, in the UK on 4x4 lane motorways, most people hog lane 3 and 4. Same as on the A1 in Italy between Bologna and Modena.
Old October 10th, 2011, 11:07 PM   #6160
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Then it must be really bad in the UK... I recently saw a bunch of vids with ppl driving in the middle of the 5 lane A2, but I cant find those vids anymore

EDIT;

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands