daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 18th, 2011, 10:19 PM   #6201
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

IJmeer Toll Bridge

A new study found out an Almere - Amsterdam connection across the IJmeer (Lake IJ) is not profitable. A 7 kilometer toll bridge would be necessary to link Almere with interchange Diemen (A1/A9). However, with the already planned improvements on the A1/A6/A9 corridor, a new link would attract only some 27.000 vehicles per day if toll free. However, the projected costs are at € 450 million, and even a slight toll of € 0.50 would already cause traffic volumes to drop to 8.000 vehicles per day. The most economical toll was € 2 per passage, but this cannot cover the cost of construction and maintenance. The bridge will likely not be constructed. In addition, it doesn't shorten the distance to Amsterdam significantly compared to A1/A6.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2011, 12:07 AM   #6202
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
Video of the whole N57, which goes over Delta Works: Oosterscheldekering, Haringvlietdam, Brousersdam, Veerse Gatdam etc.
Nice video! It has a bit of everything: dams, bridges, downgraded roads, 1+1 separated carriageway roads, 2-lane-divided roundabouts, green medians, roadworks, and even an old windmill that is actually working at the beginning of the video.
Old October 19th, 2011, 12:55 AM   #6203
Wuppeltje

Likes (Received): 968

I love the seabarriers. The annoying thing (with a perfect example in the video) in Zeeland are the people who are going for example 70km/h where you are allowed to go 100km/h. Mostly old people. I laughed my ass off, when I was following someone going 70km/h all the time where you were allowed to go much faster as well, but he didn't slow down before the traffic lights (50km/h max). And just before the traffic lights he got flashed by a speed camera.
Old October 19th, 2011, 01:27 AM   #6204
Suburbanist
on the road

N57 is always a good inspiration for a pipe dream I have: a mega project to dam the North Sea outside the Wadden islands, from Texel all the way to Emden, with sea barriers and a nice road over them, linking Texel, Ameland, Terschelling and all other islands

They could then reclaim all the Waddenzee as new polders for Frisland.
Old October 19th, 2011, 03:14 AM   #6205
julesstoop

Likes (Received): 80

Pipe nightmare, you mean...
Old October 19th, 2011, 04:27 AM   #6206
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesstoop View Post
Pipe nightmare, you mean...
Well, I guess few people today living in the western half of Netherlands would say it was a bad idea to drain marshlands and build polders... because otherwise their homes wouldn't exist!

The Wadden Sea is very, very shallow. Indeed, it is shallower than some areas drained around Leiden in 18th Century!

So it is possible and technically feasible. If you don't mind converting all the sea into polders, it is not even that expensive. And the Nederlandse area would grow by 12-14%!
Old October 19th, 2011, 08:54 AM   #6207
Wuppeltje

Likes (Received): 968

In the past we always needed farmland, which was the main reason and way to finance of our polders. We don't need farmland anymore. Much farmland was recently converted to 'nature'. Why convert the waddenzee to something we don't need, especially in an area with low economic grow and potential. The only real interesting economic development is tourism, which will be at risk by making new polders, because the area will be losing something unique; UNESCO site.
Old October 19th, 2011, 09:03 AM   #6208
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

It certainly is a beautiful area and I wouldn't be happy if they decided to drain the land . It's really beautiful there
@Suburbanist: I'm guessing you've never been there before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Nice video! It has a bit of everything: dams, bridges, downgraded roads, 1+1 separated carriageway roads, 2-lane-divided roundabouts, green medians, roadworks, and even an old windmill that is actually working at the beginning of the video.
Thank you! It certainly has something of everything, that's the best part of the road
But especially the last few kilometers need widening, every morning there is a traffic jam between Hellevoetsluis and the N15, the bridge you see at the end (Harmsenbrug) will get 2x2 lanes soon, since bikes will get a new bridge recentely they wont need to go over this bridge anymore so it can be widened to 2x2.

Here is the video that follows by the way. It's starts around 400 meters after the last vdeo ended, because I had to switch batteries

keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 11:57 AM   #6209
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
N57 is always a good inspiration for a pipe dream I have: a mega project to dam the North Sea outside the Wadden islands, from Texel all the way to Emden, with sea barriers and a nice road over them, linking Texel, Ameland, Terschelling and all other islands

They could then reclaim all the Waddenzee as new polders for Frisland.
Why stop there?

With all this new land, we could chase our farmers out of the country, import our food from Brazil and convert every square meter into beautiful sprawling suburbs linked together by mega-highways. Everyone could have an enormous house with 5 bedrooms and 2 kitchens. It would be a Suburbanist paradise!
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 12:12 PM   #6210
woutero

Likes (Received): 41

Perfect. Finally our dreams can come true! What have those seals, dolphins, mussels, eels and oysters ever done for us?! Tourism? Overrated!
woutero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 12:38 PM   #6211
ChrisZwolle
Road user

We should extend the Maasvlakte to the United Kingdom.
Old October 19th, 2011, 12:47 PM   #6212
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

A new Afsluitdijk to Hull. Good plan.
Old October 19th, 2011, 12:58 PM   #6213
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
A new Afsluitdijk to Hull. Good plan.
As a matter of fact, I've always wanted to drive to New York.. Trans-Atlantic-Dyke! take TAD!
Old October 19th, 2011, 01:40 PM   #6214
zsmg

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
We should extend the Maasvlakte to the United Kingdom.
http://strangemaps.files.wordpress.c...a_drainage.jpg
zsmg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 05:56 PM   #6215
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Another video:
A58: Bergen Op Zoom - Goes
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 10:32 PM   #6216
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
Another video:
A58: Bergen Op Zoom - Goes
Youtube: eUDjCZIXIMg
The only Dutch motorway that has a song. And an excellent driving song at that!

Old October 20th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #6217
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A4 Delft - Schiedam

Details are not yet disclosed, but it appears that the construction of the A4 motorway between Delft and Schiedam may be much cheaper than the reserved budget. The government had reserved € 600 million for the construction of the motorway, out of a total budget of € 898 million, but the cheapest bidder who got the job, A4ALL, made an offer of € 300 million. The next bidders made offers of € 466 and € 535 million respectively. If this really is an € 300 million saving, this could become interesting for other projects that currently do not have sufficient funding. For example such an amount of money may accelerate a toll free A24 tunnel near Rozenburg (A20 - A15 connection), or accelerate the planned A13-A16 connection or an A38 extension near Krimpen. The possibilities are endless, even in the Netherlands € 300 million is a significant amount of money.
Old October 20th, 2011, 04:15 PM   #6218
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Should use it for the last remaining stretch of non-existent A4 in de Hoekse Waard.

I can dream.
Old October 20th, 2011, 04:20 PM   #6219
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I concur. It could pay for a 3.500 m bored tunnel underneath the Oude Maas and Spui Rivers. The 6.600 m Westerschelde Tunnel (two tubes, 4 lanes) cost € 725 million.

However, I think the A4 between interchanges Benelux (A4/A15) and Klaaswaal (A4/A29) should be constructed together with a widening of A29 to 2x3 lanes between Klaaswaal and interchange Hellegatsplein (A4/N59). This would require a new Haringvliet Bridge.
Old October 20th, 2011, 04:40 PM   #6220
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

A widening of the A29 would make excellent sense if there is reason to assume a substantial traffic flow on the A29 from Barendrecht would merge with another substantial traffic flow on the new A4 from interchange Benelux. You would then have to widen the A29 to avoid a bottleneck where the two roads come together.

But wouldn't an extended A4 simply take most of the traffic from the A29 to begin with? Would the total amount of traffic really grow that much to justify a widening and a new Haringvlietbridge?

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands