daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 24th, 2011, 02:16 PM   #6241
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 520

Looks pretty interesting
Any traffic jams planned for time of work :] ? Hope will go smooth cause after A50 got 3rd lane (northbound from knpt. Valburg) driving on A50 is doable without staying in a traffic jams )

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2011, 09:29 PM   #6242
Daviedoff
Belgian road driver

Likes (Received): 29

The A67 from Postel (border crossing Belgium into The Netherlands) - Eindhoven (A2) to Venlo (interchange Zaarderheiken):
Daviedoff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2011, 10:41 PM   #6243
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19413

Rijksstraatweg

The Rijksstraatweg, which can be translated as a Nation Street Road, used to be of great importance, however traffic was hindered by the many rivers and canals. Most large rivers weren't bridged until the 1930's when many arch bridges were constructed. Prior to that, railroads were the only fixed links across these rivers. This especially hampered north-south traffic which had to use ferries.

Most rijksstraatwegen do exist in some form today, however one often cannot distinguish them from other roads except with old road maps. The Dutch (government) have an obsession to perfect this country as much as possible, which means that old roads are usually paved over, realigned, traffic-calmed or narrowed. Even the amount of roads with a 1960's feeling to it is declining quickly, accelerated by the "sustainable safety" program that was initiated in the late 1990's. Hence, almost no roads with a layout similar to that of before 1930 exist.

The Netherlands did not have many dead-straight roads as you can find in France or Germany, many follow river dikes or just run from town to town without appearing as any more significant than other roads in the area.

The Netherlands was one of the earliest nations in the world to adopt a large-scale motorway programme, starting in the mid 1930's, and before World War II a considerable amount of motorways were constructed in the west of the country. Because of this early construction, not much attention was given to secondary roads nearby, and that is why our secondary road network fails so hard to provide a backup.

This is considerably different from France, which had only one long-distance motorway corridor completed by the late 1960's (Lille - Paris - Lyon - Marseille). While France was constructing a nationwide network of motorways in the 1970's and well into the 1980's, the Netherlands had already completed most of its motorway network in the early 1970's.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 02:42 AM   #6244
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
accelerated by the "sustainable safety" program that was initiated in the late 1990's.

Aaargh, ''duurzaam debiel'' (okay Duurzaam Veilig, but I call it Duurzaam debiel) is ruining many many roads, every part of the government ( The national one, the Provinces and the Gemeentes) is after the money for duurzaam debiel and are throwing traffic at each other. A mate of mine asked the gemeente why a road was being fubar-ed, and the gemeente replied that they have to build it with all the traffic calming crap from ''duurzaam debiel'' to get the money. Gemeentes are also discouraging traffic and throwing it on the Provincial roads, and the provinces do the same back...

The roads in Holland have been completely messed up because of duuzaam debiel imho, yeah it's very ''sustainable'' to accelerate and brake for a speed bump every 50-100 meters, to force all traffic onto ''main'' roads which are already congested, and discourage anyone to take an alternative route...
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 08:43 PM   #6245
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A12 Arnhem

Visualizations of the widening that is currently in progress along A12 in northern Arnhem. The motorway will be widened from 2x2 to 2x3 lanes. Because it was built in 1961, it does not have a space reservation for more lanes, all viaducts and bridges need to be rebuild.

Old October 28th, 2011, 01:47 PM   #6246
Junk
That's me!

Likes (Received): 0

Does this mean the valley bridge also needs rebuilding? Do you know what the new one will look like?
Old October 28th, 2011, 01:55 PM   #6247
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It appears a new span is built on either side of it, which means the existing bridge will be widened, but not replaced entirely.
Old October 28th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #6248
Junk
That's me!

OK, thanks.
Old October 31st, 2011, 04:30 PM   #6249
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A1: Shoulder Running

Shoulder Running went into operation today along the A1 motorway north of Hilversum. The shoulders were converted for peak hour usage in both directions. This motorway has 2x2 lanes and carries up to 110 000 vehicles per day and is one of the most congested roadways in the Netherlands. Traffic flow will improve greatly along this corridor.

New maps of shoulder running locations:
image hosted on flickr

shoulder running + plus lanes NL 31-10-2011 1024px by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
Old November 1st, 2011, 12:15 PM   #6250
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A15 Rotterdam

Preparatory works for the widening of A15 to 10 lanes along the south side of Rotterdam. As you can see it will be quite a bit wider.

Photos by Palance:

typical design:
Old November 1st, 2011, 02:18 PM   #6251
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

Nice to see thins going.
Old November 1st, 2011, 02:55 PM   #6252
Bad_Hafen
BANNED

Likes (Received): 160

what's with the green makings?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSIS2...eature=related
Bad_Hafen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 03:34 PM   #6253
ChrisZwolle
Road user

They indicate two-lane roads that have expressway status (usually 100 km/h limit). This video is quite close to where I live.
Old November 1st, 2011, 04:33 PM   #6254
Agnette

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
A1: Shoulder Running...
Chris, what does it mean plus lane? Can You explain, or show example? Please..
Agnette no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 04:36 PM   #6255
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A plus lane is a physical widening of the motorway, on the left side, where a lane can be opened during peak times. They vary in design standard, some are as wide as the regular lanes, others are more narrow. They are not the same as HOV lanes in the U.S. As far as I know the Netherlands is the only country in the world which uses this type of lanes. They did it because procedures for plus lanes used to be faster and less complex.

Example:
image hosted on flickr

A1 plusstrook-2 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
Old November 1st, 2011, 04:54 PM   #6256
Bad_Hafen
BANNED

Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
They indicate two-lane roads that have expressway status (usually 100 km/h limit). This video is quite close to where I live.
So you have this green line everywhere there is road like this?
Is that new thing?
Are there other colours as well for other types of roads`?
Bad_Hafen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 05:30 PM   #6257
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 520

Green painting symbolize grass - no possible to cross, so in reality you have felling of driving on dual carriageway with 1 lanes (with divider in between) so speed limit is higher = 100 km/h

Just simple explanation of typical Dutch approach to European reality and easy to remember

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA

Last edited by mappero; November 1st, 2011 at 05:42 PM.
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 05:36 PM   #6258
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mappero View Post

Green painting symbolize grass - no possible to cross, so in reality you have felling of driving on two one way lanes with divider in between so speed limit is higher = 100 km/h

Just simple explanation of typical Dutch approach to European reality and easy to remember
Yes, it makes perfect sense. Everytime I get to a traffic light that it's green I think that it's grass and I can't cross it
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 05:46 PM   #6259
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Actually passing is allowed on some of these roads.

image hosted on flickr

N48-8 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

(photo taken during construction works, that's why there is no traffic on it)
Old November 1st, 2011, 07:27 PM   #6260
AlbertC79
Highway Enthusiast

I was looking at maps near my grandparents' hometown of Druten and I was curious about something. It almost looks as if N322 is being slowly upgraded, and the transition between N322 to A73 at the A50/Knooppunt Valburg interchange is pretty smooth. Are there plans to eventually have N322 become upgraded to Motorway standards and become part of an extended A73? I'm trying to find information about it, but haven't found anything, not even on Wikipedia.
AlbertC79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands