daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 28th, 2011, 09:22 PM   #6361
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6077

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
He means that when you have your license for over 5 years, you just can drive as fast as you can because you have enough money.

@Chris: Good news
When you exceed the speed limit with a certain amount, you can be taken your driver's license or your car can be taken into custody.
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 28th, 2011, 09:32 PM   #6362
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Yeah, I know (50 km/h), but you can still constantly drive 45 km/h too fast, you'll only receive tickets. But hey, you've got enough money, so who cares?

Get my point?
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2011, 11:11 PM   #6363
Ewoutje

Likes (Received): 1

Serious traffic offences (such as exceeding the maximum speed limit by 30 km/h or more) do add up, and when you got too many of them, your license can be suspended too.

The difference with unexperienced drivers (license for less than 5 years) is that you will not need to do the exam again, which they will when they've got 3 points on their license.
Ewoutje no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2011, 11:36 PM   #6364
petertenthije

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Only a small number of motorways will retain their 120 km/h limit, mostly because they've been designed in more recent years and do not allow for a safe 130 km/h limit.
Why are the newer motorways not safe for 130kph?

I see for instance the A50 Eindhoven-Oss and the A50 Bankhoef-Valburg remain 120kph. I don't understand that. Except for rush hours Eindhoven-Oss can easily be 130 (most people drive that fast and faster already). Same goes for the Bankhoef-Valburg once the road works are complete?
petertenthije no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2011, 11:42 PM   #6365
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Most of the future 120 km/h motorways have been constructed between 1985 and 2005. This was a lean time in Dutch motorway construction, where they often saved on shoulders (at exits / entrances) and obstacle-free distances. The alignment however, is suited for 130 km/h. Somewhat odd is the A44, which will remain at 120 km/h. It's significantly older, but was never downgraded to 100 km/h as most motorways in western Netherlands, despite having some substandard features.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 12:31 AM   #6366
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21240

edit: everyone explained the court actions.

Last edited by Suburbanist; November 29th, 2011 at 12:40 AM.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 02:24 AM   #6367
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by mappero View Post
Stupid system.
Great system.
Quote:
Rich drivers can easily don't follow the driving rules... If you have enough in your pocket you don't have to obey the law.
Great, if I earn enough money I can ignore the retarded slow speed limits in 2 and a half years . Especially like between A'dam and Utrecht, sorry, a person who thinks 150 kph is to fast there at 3.00 am is clearly ( in my opinion) mentally retarded and I refuse to conform to such retarded rules. 200+ kph is easily safe on empty motorways, you litterally drive for 10 kilometers sometimes without a single corner or hill in the road ( for exmaple the A6) and at 3.00 am during weekdays, that motorway is awfully quiet too, not a car for miles and miles, I do not think nanny state or anyone else has the right to tell you how fast you can go if you don't endanger anyone else.

Or the afsluitdijk, why a speed limit there? For all the fish who cross the motorway ? Sorry, my respect for people who agree with 120 kph in places like that, especially at night, is 0. 220kph is a more suitable limit than 120 kph.
I literally always drive 20-30 kph over the limit on motorways, only in rush hour I keep to the limit because it's impossible to go faster due to other cars, I hate driving in such conditions, best time to drive is 1.30am-5am imho, the road for yourself (nearly).

At least there is 1 decent country in Europe who don't terrorise motorists or hate mobility, Germany, love to drive there at night, set cruise control to 160-170kph, sit back and relax and enjoy your empty autobahn . If you see a nice long straight and flat bit, push the throttle and bomb down the autobahn at 220 kph . I also used to drive quite fast in Poland, 180 kph during day on the A2 due to calm trafic, but stories from family there make me want to re-think that, apparently it's getting worse in terms of speed enforcement.

ps. yeah I'm a guy who hates anything that opposes or limits mobility, imho the roads are safe enough as it is, time to save people time and give them back freedom instead.

Last edited by snowdog; November 29th, 2011 at 02:37 AM.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 01:31 PM   #6368
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

New motorway speed limits from 1 Sep 2012 apparantly:

Blue= Variable speed limits between 100-130kph.
Green= 130kph
Yellow= Research for increase to 130 kph.
Red= 80 kph zones increased to 100 kph.
Grey= unchanged.

A more detailed pdf doc with new maximum speeds:
http://media.rtl.nl/media/actueel/rt...esnelheden.pdf

80 kph zones gone by july apparantly, GOOD RIDDANCE . Eco hippies can cry all they want, thank god this retarded speed limit of 80 kph is going away.

Source:
http://www.verkeersnet.nl/6366/130-k...e-nieuwe-norm/
http://www.rijksoverheid.nl/nieuws/2...euwe-norm.html

Last edited by snowdog; November 29th, 2011 at 01:44 PM.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2011, 03:23 PM   #6369
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A27 widening project downscaled

The A27 widening project will be downscaled. The reason is that the region (lower governments) are not willing to co-finance this megaproject. The original plans for chosen alternative B called for a 2x3 / 2x4 setup, which was already the cheapest out of the 4 proposed variants.

The downscaling will likely be at the southern section, at this point it seems plausible that A27 will not be widened south of Werkendam. This means no new Keizersveer Bridge across the Maas River and no full motorway interchange Hooipolder. More news will become available in the next month.

The current budget for the A27 widening is € 740 million.

Original variant B:
Old November 29th, 2011, 04:08 PM   #6370
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A58 widening may be sped up

Although the national budget does not have money reserved for the widening of the A58 motorway until after 2020, the Brabant Province is willing to loan money so the widening can be sped up. The post-2020 budget for the A58 widening is € 425 million. The pre-2020 plans call for a speedier widening of A58 between Eindhoven and Tilburg, and south of Breda. These sections both carry up to 90 000 vehicles per day on 2x2 lanes.
Old November 29th, 2011, 04:21 PM   #6371
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

The money for the widening of the A58 comes from the money for the widening of the A27. The province thought that 300 mln. was too much, since the A27 is only for 1/3 in Brabant. This also means that the hideous "Interchange" Hooipolder will not be changed
But good news for the A58, now also please widen the A58/A4 passing Bergen Op Zoom.
Old November 30th, 2011, 10:19 AM   #6372
Suburbanist
on the road

As it has been the case, Midden-en-West Brabant gets shortchanged in road projects
Old November 30th, 2011, 11:37 AM   #6373
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Final approval for A2 Tunnel Maastricht

The Council of State has dismissed all appeals against the construction of the twin-deck A2 tunnel in the southern city of Maastricht. This means construction can proceed as planned. Several organizations and individuals appealed against the record of decision, but all lost their appeals at the highest Dutch court. No further legal steps against the tunnel are possible at this point.

The A2 Tunnel is unique because it is the first double deck motorway in tunnel with full motorway standards. There is a double-deck tunnel in Paris, but that one is too low to allow trucks, buses or vans. The preparatory works began late 2010, and construction is expected to be sped up significantly now. The tunnel will be 2.6 kilometers long and put into service by 2016.
Old November 30th, 2011, 12:12 PM   #6374
3naranze

Likes (Received): 2

do you know the planned security measures for such a unique tunnel?
3naranze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 12:30 PM   #6375
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6162

Whatever they are, they'll be excessive. This is the Netherlands after all.

I would imagine we'll all be forced to wear high visibility vests as we drive into the tunnel.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 01:09 PM   #6376
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
The preparatory works began late 2010, and construction is expected to be sped up significantly now. The tunnel will be 2.6 kilometers long and put into service by 2016.
Do you know where will the move traffic to as works progress? It seems Maastricht local roads have few space capacity to handle traffic, and there aren't many alternative routes.
Old November 30th, 2011, 01:15 PM   #6377
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Traffic will use a realigned N2. This is possible because they demolished the social housing along the route.
Old November 30th, 2011, 11:25 PM   #6378
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Final approval for A2 Tunnel Maastricht
There is a double-deck tunnel in Paris, but that one is too low to allow trucks, buses or vans. The preparatory works began late 2010, and construction is expected to be sped up significantly now. The tunnel will be 2.6 kilometers long and put into service by 2016.
There is a plan for a double deck tunnel in Prague on the inner city ring. But I guess its a different cup of coffe.

Do you got some visualisations?
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 11:30 PM   #6379
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Here's a vid
Old December 1st, 2011, 02:40 PM   #6380
ChrisZwolle
Road user

More shoulder running announced

Transportation minister Schultz announced more shoulder running today, together with a € 1.1 billion nationwide scheme to improve road, rail and water traffic within the existing infrastructure. These measures are aimed to improve traffic flow in short term, basically as fast as possible.

* A1: shoulder running Bunschoten > Interchange Hoevelaken
* A7: shoulder running Purmerend > Interchange Zaandam
* A8: shoulder running Interchange Zaandam > Interchange Coenplein

The scheme also called for the improvement of a large number of motorway exits and entrances. Another improvement may be the opening of the northbound truck lane on A16 in Rotterdam to all traffic.

Shoulder running on A1 and A7 will act as a 3rd lane. Shoulder running on A8 will act like a 5th lane.

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; December 1st, 2011 at 02:54 PM.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands