daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 13th, 2011, 11:32 PM   #6421
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Yep. And I will be using that a lot now, as Transavia now offers flights from Innsbruck to Groningen direct. (as well as Amsterdam, Rotterdam and Eindhoven) Makes it easier for me to visit my family in Sneek. I don't think the Netherlands needs a second major airport. Duesseldorf and Brussels offer great alternatives. It's only a small country.
There is Maastricht airport as well.

Sponsored Links
Old December 20th, 2011, 11:51 AM   #6422
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

Construction of A4 around Steenbergen.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 01:02 PM   #6423
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

Looks like they've reached a dead end with those greenhouses further down Where is the road going to turn from here exactly? Left and in between the green houses on that narrow strip?
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 01:21 PM   #6424
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Well, they cannot do further construction yet because the Council of State has yet to issue a judgment about the appeals against the record of decision. What currently is constructed is part of the original project from 2007.
Old December 20th, 2011, 03:45 PM   #6425
ChrisZwolle
Road user

electric charging points

Starting January 10, anyone can apply to operate an electric car charging point at any service area along motorways in the Netherlands. There are no fees to be paid to Rijkswaterstaat until 2015, when the system will be evaluated. The Netherlands is the first country in the world where it is possible to install and operate charging points along the entire motorway network. A fast charger will charge 80% of the battery in 20 minutes. It is expected that the first motorway charging stations will become operational halfway through 2012.
Old December 20th, 2011, 04:30 PM   #6426
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Nice pic Chris, is it from RWS? When was this taken? There is more asphalt then when I was there last friday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
Looks like they've reached a dead end with those greenhouses further down Where is the road going to turn from here exactly? Left and in between the green houses on that narrow strip?
Yes, over that narrow strip. To be sure we mean the same, here's the pic Chris posted with the route of the highway.

they've already demolished some greenhouses there, such as Kwekerij Nuijten (greenhouse Nuijten): the location and direction of this picture is visible on the picture above. Its the orange point and arrow. The Council of State has not approved this bit yet, but preparing works began 1-2 months ago. The judgement of the appeals will be somewhere in January 2012.

Google Streetview, they were there July 2009, so you can see the difference. Here's a short video of the building being demolished.

Click for more of my pics, all of my 575 pics are collected here. First pics are from April this year, the newest pics are at the bottom. Link
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 07:55 PM   #6427
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Air quality: norms met

The amount of locations where the norms for particulate matter and nitrogen dioxide are exceeded has dropped significantly, according to the most recent NSL update.

The NSL is set up to care of air quality bottlenecks on a nationwide level. This also makes road projects exempt for air quality studies if they are included in the NSL programme. The programme has been highly successful, there are nearly no locations where norms are exceeded.

Norms for particulate matter (PM10) are exceeded on 0 kilometer of national roads and 12 kilometers of municipal roads. Norms for nitrogen dioxide (NO2) are exceeded on 0.1 kilometer of national roads and 14 kilometers of municipal roads.

It appears that the frantic particulate matter hype is coming to an end. Anyone involved in air quality studies already knew this, but it would help if certain politicians don't create the false image we have a massive air quality problem in the Netherlands.

A number of locations are just slightly below the maximum allowed level, which could theoretically mean they will exceed norms, especially during long times of air stagnation or dryspells. However, with the continuing "cleanification" of the nation's vehicle fleet, air quality is bound to improve even further.
Old December 20th, 2011, 08:09 PM   #6428
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N31: Harlingen aquaduct

Minister Schultz has signed the design-record of decision for the N31 through Harlingen today. The road will be widened to 2x2 lanes and the current bridge will be replaced by an aquaduct. The speed limit will be 100 km/h, similar to the already existing expressway section between interchange Zurich and Harlingen-Zuid. Public consultation will begin January 13th. The project will cost € 143 million. Construction is planned to begin in 2013.
Old December 20th, 2011, 08:27 PM   #6429
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
Nice pic Chris, is it from RWS? When was this taken? There is more asphalt then when I was there last friday.

Yes, over that narrow strip. To be sure we mean the same, here's the pic Chris posted with the route of the highway.
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/9...luchtfotoc.jpg

they've already demolished some greenhouses there, such as Kwekerij Nuijten (greenhouse Nuijten): the location and direction of this picture is visible on the picture above. Its the orange point and arrow. The Council of State has not approved this bit yet, but preparing works began 1-2 months ago. The judgement of the appeals will be somewhere in January 2012.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-U...4/PIC_0480.JPG
Google Streetview, they were there July 2009, so you can see the difference. Here's a short video of the building being demolished.

JCdtb8wiqeE

Click for more of my pics, all of my 575 pics are collected here. First pics are from April this year, the newest pics are at the bottom. Link
Thanks for the information, very helpful! That's the direction I meant.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 08:33 PM   #6430
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 1607

What stretch of the A4 shall that be in the future ?

Been Drove Rode my bike Lived:
A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 09:15 PM   #6431
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
Thanks for the information, very helpful! That's the direction I meant.
You're welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by GROBIN View Post
What stretch of the A4 shall that be in the future ?
The most southern part from Bergen Op Zoom to Dinteloord. Bergen Op Zoom - Halsteren was opened in 2007, Halsteren - Dinteloord is the part we're watching now and should open in 2013. Click for a map (not my map, it's not 100% accurate, but it shows enough)
Old December 20th, 2011, 09:31 PM   #6432
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Oh, that's good news ! no need to drive through Breda anymore to go northwards !

Dank u wel !

A AND AUS B BIH BY CZ D E EST ET F FIN GB H HR I IL L LT LV MAL MC PL RI SGP SK SLO T TN USA UA YV

"Richtgeschwindigkeit" should be the default system in all EU motorways & expressways & lane indiscipline should be harshly fought! Down with radars on motorways!
Old December 20th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #6433
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Ah, you drive there much? I would still advice you to keep the A16 past Breda in mind, because near Bergen Op Zoom on the A4/A58, traffic will come to a standstill. 100.000 vehicles/day (expectations for 2020) is too much for a 2x2 road
Widening should come there to 2x3, including changing interchange Zoomland (northeast of BoZ). They should also add a lane in interchange Markiezaat in the direction Antwerp <--> Rotterdam. Things will get crowded here. But nothing is being planned from the government, even though the municipalities in the neighborhood of the A58/A4 (Bergen Op Zoom and Woensdrecht) have asked multiple times for a study for the widening of this highway. It will be difficult because the bridges aren't prepared for another lane, so they will all have to be changed. Examples of bridges that will have to be changed if they want to widen this road: here, here, here

Oh, and since you drive there sometimes, you should come by sometime in Halsteren
Old December 20th, 2011, 09:54 PM   #6434
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Thanks, but it's been years I didn't drive through that part of the Netherlands - each time I drive through the Netherlands, I drive through the A67.

I plan to visit Rotterdam and Amsterdam in the next months though, to change a bit & Halsteren is quite close to my usual route (Antwerp). Thanks

P.S.: for the bridges, it's going to be very expensive if they do that ! & I imagine the traffic nightmare during the roadworks

Old December 20th, 2011, 10:05 PM   #6435
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

You'll drive this road, it's a very nice road. This is the part of the A4 between BoZ and Dinteloord that's complete. I often drive over the bridge in the video, over the parallel road towards the construction of the rest of the A4. It's a very nice scenery

Old December 21st, 2011, 06:45 AM   #6436
wkiehl101

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
You'll drive this road, it's a very nice road. This is the part of the A4 between BoZ and Dinteloord that's complete. I often drive over the bridge in the video, over the parallel road towards the construction of the rest of the A4. It's a very nice scenery

very nice!
Old December 21st, 2011, 11:13 AM   #6437
Wover

Likes (Received): 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
electric charging points

Starting January 10, anyone can apply to operate an electric car charging point at any service area along motorways in the Netherlands. There are no fees to be paid to Rijkswaterstaat until 2015, when the system will be evaluated. The Netherlands is the first country in the world where it is possible to install and operate charging points along the entire motorway network. A fast charger will charge 80% of the battery in 20 minutes. It is expected that the first motorway charging stations will become operational halfway through 2012.
Actually, ABB will install 250 charging points all over Estonia next year as well, making it the country with the densest such network .
Wover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2011, 11:22 AM   #6438
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The developed world = western Europe + North America according to many Dutch. So it doesn't surprise me they don't get their facts right. In fact, you see many American stuff claiming to be the "first" or "biggest" or "busiest" while in fact there are such things elsewhere too.
Old December 21st, 2011, 03:33 PM   #6439
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A12 Arnhem widening ahead of schedule

According to regional newspaper De Gelderlander, the widening of A12 around the city of Arnhem is around 18 months ahead of schedule and may be finished by summer 2012, instead of spring 2014. A new work schedule already accelerated the construction progress, but now it seems it can go even faster.

Depending on the coming winter - which has been low-profile so far - it may be finished in the summer. If there is a lot of frost, it will be finished in the autumn of 2012. Several bridges will need to be rebuild to accomodate the widening from 4 to 6 lanes.
Old December 21st, 2011, 04:36 PM   #6440
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A12 Arnhem widening ahead of schedule

According to regional newspaper De Gelderlander, the widening of A12 around the city of Arnhem is around 18 months ahead of schedule and may be finished by summer 2012, instead of spring 2014. A new work schedule already accelerated the construction progress, but now it seems it can go even faster.

Depending on the coming winter - which has been low-profile so far - it may be finished in the summer. If there is a lot of frost, it will be finished in the autumn of 2012. Several bridges will need to be rebuild to accomodate the widening from 4 to 6 lanes.
I would be interested in the contract awarding system. How does it motivate finishing so far ahead of the schedulle?

Are the contractors estimating too long construction times ahead and then finishing earlier, taking the premium (saved costs), while the price is final by the agreement?

Are there any price renegotiations in the Netherlands or are all the prices final? Who bears the risks? Is there a limit in the price increases due to the unforseen situations if the price is changable? etc etc.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands