daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 27th, 2011, 08:41 PM   #6461
Mr_Dru

Likes (Received): 557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnette
Chris can You explain this sign? What does it mean?:
It warns you that the police has (hidden) cameras here on this track to control the speed limits.
Mr_Dru no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 27th, 2011, 08:48 PM   #6462
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

It's more a motto sign than anything else. As far as I know there are no fixed speed cameras along that section of A12. The nearby town of Driebergen is the headquarters of the highway police. They can almost do speed checks from their office.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 08:51 PM   #6463
Agnette

Likes (Received): 29

/\ Does it mean that cameras mounted in the police cars?
Agnette no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 08:55 PM   #6464
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

No, they usually stand on the side of the road behind some bush... But there are some cars with cams in The Netherlands (used for tv programs as Blik op de Weg (Eye on the road) and Wegmisbruikers (Road abusers))

Example:

[IMG]http://t2.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTiM9hqAEsKxlppI8AyI4b8-F0UpMaSvPaSA8rBV39MU5aIpLlAnQ1Vrt4q[/IMG]
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 02:01 AM   #6465
temlin

Likes (Received): 247

Wegmisbruikers:

temlin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 02:37 AM   #6466
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Old episode of blik op de weg (1996):

Recent episode, from when a part f the Twente stadium collapsed:
Old December 28th, 2011, 02:47 AM   #6467
ptscout

Likes (Received): 0

Provida is also very usual in Germany and Denmark, but not only for TV-Shows.
Fix Speedcams were in France announced until this year.
ptscout no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 02:53 AM   #6468
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

My newest video. Finally a new one. Thanks to my new computer I can finally upload videos again. The old computer took way to much time uploading vids (could go up to 5 hrs for a 4-minute-video). Sadly I did lose a lot of my old videos which were on my old computer (which crashed because my cat spilled water over it, and sadly that's not a joke.... ), and I lost all those vids, Luckily I had a lot of them on my camera. This computer is way faster. More videos will follow later

This time we're driving over the downgraded N289 through Hoogerheide. A new bypass was opened 2 years ago so the old route could be downgraded. Here's the result

Old December 28th, 2011, 10:59 AM   #6469
Godius
Nitimur in vetitum

Likes (Received): 4069

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnette View Post
Chris can You explain this sign? What does it mean?:

It is surprising to me why they use English on the signboard above the road instead of proper Dutch.
Godius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 11:08 AM   #6470
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Because there are more drivers on the road than Dutch speaking people, and 24 h is a pretty common notation.
Old December 28th, 2011, 12:18 PM   #6471
Godius
Nitimur in vetitum

If you hold to this reasoning, then it would be better to put the texts in German on the signs. The majority of the users of the roads are Germanic (group).
Old December 28th, 2011, 12:23 PM   #6472
ChrisZwolle
Road user

24/7 would be even better, but 24h is universally understood. 24 stunden is not.
Old December 28th, 2011, 12:28 PM   #6473
Godius
Nitimur in vetitum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
24/7 would be even better, but 24h is universally understood. 24 stunden is not.
Don't tell me that no one would understand '24u geopend/24 uur open/etc..'.
Old December 28th, 2011, 12:41 PM   #6474
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

The symbol "h" (non-SI time unit) means the same as 3600s (SI). "h" is an internationally adopted symbol, also by The Netherlands. "h" is also approved by the Bureau international des poids et mesures in France to be used togheter with SI-measurements. The Dutch law "IJkwet" made those SI-standards in the Netherlands mandatory in 1978. So yes, 24h is proper Dutch.

And for signage there's a rule: the less on the sign, the better.
Don't tell me that no one would understand "open 24h" as for being open every hour of the day.
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 01:32 PM   #6475
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

Also important to remark to the non-Dutch speakers: "open" means the same thing in Dutch as it does in English. So it's not looked at as a foreign language in the Netherlands
Old December 28th, 2011, 01:48 PM   #6476
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

In Poland and Czech Republic they say: Open Nonstop.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 01:55 PM   #6477
Godius
Nitimur in vetitum

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswnl View Post
The symbol "h" (non-SI time unit) means the same as 3600s (SI). "h" is an internationally adopted symbol, also by The Netherlands. "h" is also approved by the Bureau international des poids et mesures in France to be used togheter with SI-measurements. The Dutch law "IJkwet" made those SI-standards in the Netherlands mandatory in 1978. So yes, 24h is proper Dutch.

And for signage there's a rule: the less on the sign, the better.
Don't tell me that no one would understand "open 24h" as for being open every hour of the day.
I wasn't aware of that, thanks for the info.
My point was that the Dutch text could be as easily understood as the English one. 24h isn't proper dutch, it is an accepted Loanword. 24u or 24 uur is proper Dutch.
Old December 28th, 2011, 02:36 PM   #6478
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

24h is clearely understood everywhere in the world, 0-24 and 24/7 too, as well km for kilometers, WC for toilet,... signs should be clear for everywere not like the Italians "tutte le direzioni", "eccetto residenti e autorizzati", "zona a traffico limitato" and many others.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 04:47 PM   #6479
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

There is also lingering resistance to replacing English-language text-based warning and other related signage with symbol signs here in the USA. For example, the USA's Federal Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) still does not adopt symbols for such warnings as 'WATCH FOR STOPPED/CONGESTED TRAFFIC', 'STRONG CROSSWINDS', 'NO OUTLET', etc.

The USA only adopted the three-arrow 'roundabout' symbol within the past 5-10 years, too.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 06:42 PM   #6480
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920
There is also lingering resistance to replacing English-language text-based warning and other related signage with symbol signs here in the USA. For example, the USA's Federal Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) still does not adopt symbols for such warnings as 'WATCH FOR STOPPED/CONGESTED TRAFFIC', 'STRONG CROSSWINDS', 'NO OUTLET', etc.

The USA only adopted the three-arrow 'roundabout' symbol within the past 5-10 years, too.

Mike
American situation is very different from the European one. In the old continent we speak several different language within few hundreds of km. Everything should be written in both local language and English but using symbols is even better.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands