daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Old January 16th, 2012, 06:04 PM   #6561
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 4139

Real tolls. I don't think they opt for pyshical toll collection with a toll plaza, so it's going to be some kind of electronic toll collection.

There will be 5 ETC locations in the Netherlands by 2020;

* A13 Tunnel Rotterdam
* A15 Bridge Pannerdensch Canal
* A24 Blankenburg Tunnel Rotterdam
* N62 Westerschelde Tunnel
* N217 Kil Tunnel

my clinched highways • highway pictures @ Flickr and Youtube
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 16th, 2012, 06:10 PM   #6562
keokiracer
roadgeek from Holland

Likes (Received): 1046

Finally a new video

Map
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 04:48 PM   #6563
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A2 Leidsche Rijn Tunnel opening permit issued

A2 Leidsche Rijn Tunnel, Utrecht

The opening permit for the A2 Leidsche Rijn Tunnel has finally been issued by the Utrecht municipality. The 10-lane tunnel has been completed in 2010, but disagreement over safety procedures, protocols and equipment have delayed the opening for 2 years. The exact opening date is not known yet, but the tunnel will likely open in phases over the course of several weekends, possibly requiring A2 closures to switch traffic to the new lanes.

This completes the 10-laning of 30 kilometers of A2 between Amsterdam and Utrecht. As a temporary solution, the old A2 alignment has been widened to an improvised 2x4 lanes to reduce the extreme traffic congestion that was occurring there. The old A2 will be demolished after the tunnel goes into operation.

The tunnel starts at 3:50

Old January 17th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #6564
Jakub Warszauer

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The opening permit for the A2 Leidsche Rijn Tunnel has finally been issued by the Utrecht municipality. The 10-lane tunnel has been completed in 2010, but disagreement over safety procedures, protocols and equipment have delayed the opening for 2 years.
2 years?!

We had something similar in Warsaw for about an year (Wisłostrada tunnel). Didn't know it could be worse...
Old January 17th, 2012, 09:23 PM   #6565
keokiracer
roadgeek from Holland

we've also had a 50-year+ long discussion about building a road of which the sand was already laying there (A4 Delft - Schiedam). Thank god that highway's being built too..
Old January 17th, 2012, 09:48 PM   #6566
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub Warszauer View Post
2 years?!
Yeah. And it's not the first time, we had major issues with the A73 tunnels near Roermond. They malfunctioned and closed very often (more than 1 000 times per year, though the majority where very short term closures).

We can't have this tunnel close every time for no reason. 200 000 vehicles per day will use it, any unnecessary closure would potentially gridlock the entire province as nearby motorways also carry more than 150 000 vehicles per day.

It's better safe than sorry this time.

The tunnel will have 4 tubes with a local-express setup. The express lanes have 3 lanes per direction and carry through traffic that has no destination or origin in the city of Utrecht (population: 300 000). There are 2 local lanes each way for traffic to and from various exits that serve the city. The tunnel has space reserved for 12 and possibly 14 lanes while maintaining a continuous shoulder in each of the tubes.

The tunnel will likely opened phase by phase (likely first the local lanes in the southbound direction) to see if any problems may occur before all traffic is directed through the tunnel.

Old January 17th, 2012, 10:23 PM   #6567
GROBIN
Conducteur infatigable

Likes (Received): 38

According to ChrisZwolle's video, not only the A2 will be 2x5, but there'll be an enormous reserve lane on the left. What will it be used for ? Emergency & police vehicles ? Snelbus as in the Belgian Flanders ? Or ? ...

& I assume the speed limit will be variable here, right ?

Rode my bike in: BIH, F, H, HR, LT, PL, SGP, SK
"Richtgeschwindigkeit" is the best system for all European motorways !
Visit the Highways & Autobahns thread
GROBIN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2012, 10:30 PM   #6568
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The A2 is already 2x5. Most of the project in that video has already been completed, only the tunnel is not opened yet.

There is a requirement that, if reasonably possible, a left shoulder is provided if there are 4 or more lanes per direction for longer distances. This left shoulder however, is superwide, there is space for 2x6 lanes without needing to pave anything while keeping a small left shoulder. However, for 2x6 lanes to work, the interchanges need improvement (specifically interchange Holendrecht where A2 meets A9). Considering the level of service will be acceptable for many years to come, I don't think we'll see 2x6 lanes anytime soon.

The speed limit is 100 km/h day and night, and will be enforced by section control later in 2012.

Old January 18th, 2012, 10:40 AM   #6569
Bobek_Azbest
Blah blah blah

Likes (Received): 27

I'm interested in the (presumably) concrete walls between express and collector lanes that can be seen past the tunnel. Are they built in expectation of covering that section as well?
Bobek_Azbest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 10:59 AM   #6570
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobek_Azbest View Post
I'm interested in the (presumably) concrete walls between express and collector lanes that can be seen past the tunnel. Are they built in expectation of covering that section as well?
Nope, these walls are sound barriers!
Old January 18th, 2012, 01:17 PM   #6571
Bobek_Azbest
Blah blah blah

Likes (Received): 27

Well, judging by the mass of the walls they seem like a huge overkill for sound barriers to me. But it's only a visualization, and after all, everything is possible.
Bobek_Azbest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 01:30 PM   #6572
Road_UK
It wasn't my fault.

Likes (Received): 1056

Quote:
Yeah. And it's not the first time, we had major issues with the A73 tunnels near Roermond. They malfunctioned and closed very often (more than 1 000 times per year, though the majority where very short term closures).

We can't have this tunnel close every time for no reason. 200 000 vehicles per day will use it, any unnecessary closure would potentially gridlock the entire province as nearby motorways also carry more than 150 000 vehicles per day.

It's better safe than sorry this time.

The tunnel will have 4 tubes with a local-express setup. The express lanes have 3 lanes per direction and carry through traffic that has no destination or origin in the city of Utrecht (population: 300 000). There are 2 local lanes each way for traffic to and from various exits that serve the city. The tunnel has space reserved for 12 and possibly 14 lanes while maintaining a continuous shoulder in each of the tubes.

The tunnel will likely opened phase by phase (likely first the local lanes in the southbound direction) to see if any problems may occur before all traffic is directed through the tunnel.
For maintenance it would be no harm to impose nightime closures from time to time, provided that a proper diversion is generated. This is what they do in the UK: Night time tunnel closures, lane closures and diversions. Actually, in the UK the've gone a little carried away with these nightime roadworks.
Road_UK está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 02:56 PM   #6573
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 34

According mail I receive - Traffic jams on N2 in between exits Veldhoven and Veldhoven Zuid will increase again cause of problems with bicycles bridge which require to close some roads in vicinity.
Good news - new exit on A67 near Koningshof will be created That's great info
When exactly? Anyone knows?

NOKIA MAPS - The most recent and up to date web map NOKIA MAPS 3D
Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie Wroclaw - Trwale zmiany orgaznizacji ruchu

Was in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, V
Drove in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2012, 05:43 PM   #6574
keokiracer
roadgeek from Holland

Quote:
Milestones:

(....)
* record of decision: A2 's-Hertogenbosch - Eindhoven widening (2x3)
(...)
A video of that road, before the roadworks are visible. They have started with cutting trees near Vught.
Old January 19th, 2012, 06:07 PM   #6575
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A2 Leidsche Rijn Tunnel

The opening dates for each of the tubes:

* western local tube: January 30th
* western express tube: February 20th
* eastern express tube: April 16th
* eastern local tube: June 18th

Old January 19th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #6576
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 5968

Quote:
The opening dates for each of the tubes:

* western local tube: January 30th
* western express tube: February 20th
* eastern express tube: April 16th
* eastern local tube: June 18th
Why is it going to take 6 freaking months to open all lanes?
Old January 19th, 2012, 06:21 PM   #6577
keokiracer
roadgeek from Holland

Probably to study the results of opening a tube. If everything works correctly etc. Just be glad it's actually being opened...
Old January 22nd, 2012, 09:28 AM   #6578
Godius
Nitimur in vetitum

Likes (Received): 2965

Are dutch people willing to pay toll fares? Dutch people are already spending a lot of money on these special purpose taxes.
Godius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 11:21 AM   #6579
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I think the Dutch are willing to pay tolls only if other taxes are reduced significantly. There's no sense in paying tolls while you already pay the road network 5 times.

Old January 25th, 2012, 10:49 AM   #6580
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A27 Utrecht

The council of state has rejected all appeals against the widening of the A27 on the east side of Utrecht from 2x4 to 4+6 lanes. The northbound roadway will be widened from 4 to 6 lanes, by adding 1 through lane and 1 auxiliary lane. This means there will be 3 through lanes and 3 exit lanes towards the A28. The new lanes will open in the summer of 2012. The A27 carries 200.000 vehicles per day at this point.

It is a temporary solution until around 2020, when it's planned to widen this section of A27 to 14 lanes.

cross section:

The right roadway will be widened to 6 lanes.

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; January 25th, 2012 at 11:07 AM.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands