daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 31st, 2012, 09:52 PM   #6601
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19413

A12 Utrecht - Veenendaal

A few aerial photos of the A12 works between Utrecht and Veenendaal.

1. temporary phase at Veenendaal. The end product will feature 2x3 lanes.

2. The Veenendaal west interchange is highly outdated.

3. Widening works

4. The Netherlands has many artificial canals for water drainage reasons.

5. A new ecoduct Rumelaar.

6. Widening through the Maarsbergen area.

7. Tight quarters at times. Some hope the railway will be widened to 4 tracks but that seems costly.

9. There will be a left shoulder until all works are completed.

10. New viaduct

11. The end product; a top-notch high-capacity motorway.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 31st, 2012, 11:11 PM   #6602
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I never realized A2 now has 16 lanes between Utrecht and interchange Oudenrijn. It's very brief though, not as impressive as the other 16 lane motorway near Ridderkerk.

16 lanes:

14 lanes, only 10 lanes are for through traffic though.

The A2 reconstruction has been quite thoroughly. Every offramp in the Utrecht area has at least 2 lanes. All traffic signals near the interchanges have at least 2 lanes for every direction. Usually the lack of intersection capacity was one of the reasons offramp traffic congestion occurred. They also added auxiliary lanes in many locations, instead of two merges close to each other.

I think they should name the A2 after former transportation minister Eurlings. The Eurlings Motorway. Sounds nice After all he made most current projects possible.
Old February 1st, 2012, 12:58 AM   #6603
Yetzirah231

Likes (Received): 389

ChrisZwolle, thanks for posting the pics. I wanted to see this for a long while.
I lived in Utrecht and Zeist, and going east towards Germany was always a bit claustrofobic on a 2 way lane... Now it starts to look like a highway
Part of the traintracks eastwards from Utrecht are under construction to be 4 tracks, at least untill close to Maarn. This will solve part of the congestion on the rest of the Utrecht-Arnhem route that would be 160km/h in the near future is the idea, but safetyrules from Brussels might rule otherwise. At least this will make some trains faster, for now they have to slow down to often.
Germany offered to build a 200km/h line from Duisburg till the Dutch border years ago, but Holland didn't want to make clear commitments. Around Wesel the max speed also would be 160km/h. Let's see what the future brings.
At one hand the Euro will stay in a crisis, at the other hand Holland and Germany are still rich. Iran and Saudi Arabia are at the moment busy to strenghten their Oil contracts with China-India. So Oil prices might rise for the comming decade, this might help the motivation to use more trains.

Last edited by Yetzirah231; February 1st, 2012 at 01:25 AM.
Yetzirah231 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 03:00 PM   #6604
the_Aristocrat

Likes (Received): 0

Here is a video I made while driving on the highway A50 driving from interchange Waterberg (where the A12 combines with the A50) to interchange Grijsoord (where the A50 splits from the A12) and then onto Nijmegen.

Vide was made about 1 month ago.
the_Aristocrat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 02:24 PM   #6605
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Extreme traffic congestion due to some snow in northwestern Netherlands. Currently near 3000 kilometers of roadways with slow or stationary traffic.

Amsterdam is the hardest-hit region, with a complete collapse of traffic.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 02:33 PM   #6606
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 520

So that why I traveled at night to Groningen to avoid this situation today Now working from warm home
A lot of snow is in whole Groningen and Drethe Province. So picturesque And Rijkwastraat can use salt they've bought after last winter experience :P

BTW, Chris do you know where can I find information about temperature in werkplaats/office and regulation/law saying when I don't have to commute to work in case of low temperature and snow fall?

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 02:43 PM   #6607
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

A total of 412 kilometer already

Longest traffic jams:

Quote:
A9 Alkmaar - Amstelveen
tussen Heerhugowaard en Amstelveen
31 km stilstaand verkeer (vertraging: meer dan 30 min)

A10 Coenplein (binnenring)
tussen Kadoelen en knp. Coenplein
30 km langzaam rijdend tot stilstaand verkeer

A10 Coenplein (buitenring)
tussen knp. Coenplein en Kadoelen
31 km langzaam rijdend tot stilstaand verkeer (vertraging: meer dan 30 min)

A28 Utrecht - Zwolle
tussen knp. Rijnsweerd en Nijkerk
30 km langzaam rijdend tot stilstaand verkeer (vertraging: meer dan 30 min)

Zwolle - Utrecht
tussen Strand Nulde en knp. Rijnsweerd
33 km langzaam rijdend tot stilstaand verkeer (vertraging: meer dan 30 min)
A10 = Amsterdam Ringroad

Longest delay: A6 Muiderberg --> Joure between Muiderberg and Emmeloord: ± 70 kms with 173 mins delay
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 03:53 PM   #6608
Godius
Nitimur in vetitum

Likes (Received): 4069

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Extreme traffic congestion due to some snow in northwestern Netherlands. Currently near 3000 kilometers of roadways with slow or stationary traffic.

Amsterdam is the hardest-hit region, with a complete collapse of traffic.
Holy Cow!!
Godius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 03:58 PM   #6609
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Old February 3rd, 2012, 04:16 PM   #6610
ChrisZwolle
Road user

5000+ kilometers
Old February 3rd, 2012, 04:25 PM   #6611
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

In Italy Tom Tom says more than 110 minutes to do 800 yards in A1 (near Frosinone).
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2012, 04:31 PM   #6612
kosimodo
Mapmaker

Likes (Received): 372

Quote:
5000+ kilometers
In deze weergave.. In this view

But.. do 'we' have a new record??
Old February 3rd, 2012, 04:36 PM   #6613
kosimodo
Mapmaker

For a better understanding i have zoomed out a bit... Looks like half of the country to me

Old February 3rd, 2012, 04:42 PM   #6614
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosimodo View Post
In deze weergave.. In this view

But.. do 'we' have a new record??
Nope, a third place so far with 830 km reported so far: in reality this is higher because in some places there is little data. Currently it's 770 km, it's getting less, but rush hour is nearby.

This was just posted on the site of the VID (kind of the traffic agency):

It's Google Translated, but it gives a good idea:
Quote:
Third worst striker ever

The snow front that Friday across the country draws creates huge inconvenience to road, rail and air. Around half past three was already more than 830 kilometers file. This brings these "tips" on the 3rd place in the list of worst strikers ever. Besides measuring the FID with its own inwinnetwerk at over 90 locations aanaanzienlijke delays. Traffic around Amsterdam is now almost terminal: traffic jams of 20 to 30 miles on the A4, A8, A9 and A10 are no exception. Inter alia, the A6 and A28 are reports of accidents involving multiple vehicles involved. The traffic is disrupted. NS (trains) from 11:00 a custom schedule promulgated. Attempts to many stations to reach. At Schiphol, flights delayed and canceled because of the snow clearing and holding in takeoff and landing time consuming. The snow front moves slowly to the south, so the nuisance in the Rotterdam and Brabant are not yet at peak. There where no snow falls, the problems are not over: the snow beneath. The congestion is the removal of snow plows and spreaders no simple task. The crowds also affects the website of the VID. To give everyone the best possible service, has switched to a site with limited functionality. As soon as the situation permits will be switched back to the regular site. This message is updated regularly. Last update: 15:40.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 04:51 PM   #6615
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Dude, make some effort in providing a decent translation.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 05:39 PM   #6616
kosimodo
Mapmaker

Worst striker ever....

Quote:
1 Stephane Guivarc'h

Some truly great strikers have graced the pitch at Newcastle. Milburn, Macdonald, Shearer and, erm, Guivarc'h! What is so remarkable about this story is that the Geordies thought they were buying a World Cup winner, which they were, but they probably should have taken more note of the fact that he failed to score a single goal in the winning campaign of 1998. He failed to produce any decent form after his £3.5m move to the Magpies and departed - after just four appearances and one goal - up to Rangers, citing that he wasn't part of Ruud Gullit's plans.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 05:43 PM   #6617
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Quote:
Dude, make some effort in providing a decent translation.
Dude, I had to go to my neighbours so I had to do it quick, this was the quickest way. I'm currently making a better one
Old February 3rd, 2012, 05:53 PM   #6618
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Here it is
Hope everything is correct since I only used what I know
Quote:
Third worst rush hour ever

The snowfront that is crossing the country today is creating huge problems on the road, on rail and in the air. Around half past three was already more than 830 kilometers of traffic jam in the country. Which puts this rush hour on the 3rd place in the list of worst rush hours ever. Besides that, the VID is measuring huge delays on provincial roads with its own data at over 90 locations. Traffic around Amsterdam is now almost grounded to a stand still: traffic jams of 20 to 30 kilometers on the A4, A8, A9 and A10 are no exception. From the A6 and A28 we're receiving that there have been serious accidents with multiple vhicles involved. The traffic is disrupted. NS (runs the trains in NL) is currently using a snow-schedule: which means that there are less trains driving. With these fewer trains the NS is trying to reach all train stations as often as possible. At Schiphol, flights are delayed and being cancelled because of the snow clearing. This is because it takes a lot of time to keep the landing strips snow free. The snow front is moving slowly to the south, so the problems in Rotterdam and North-Brabant are not yet at peak (EDIT: they currently are: it has stopped snowing here). But also where the snow has stopped, there are still a lot of problems. Because of the congestion it is very hard for snow ploughs to keep the roads clear. The crowds also affects the website of the VID. To give everyone the best possible service, we've switched to a site with limited functionality. As soon as the situation permits will be switched back to the regular site. This message is updated regularly. Last update: 15:40.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 06:00 PM   #6619
kosimodo
Mapmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
Dude, I had to go to my neighbours so I had to do it quick...
Hmm, a quicky at the neighbours??
Old February 3rd, 2012, 06:03 PM   #6620
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Stop turning my words into things you want to hear

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands