daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 14th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #6821
Junk
That's me!

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
There are a few new motorway alignments either under construction, or planned. These are;

* A2 Maastricht (2016) (U/C)
* A4 Delft - Schiedam (2015) (U/C)
* A4 Dinteloord - Halsteren (2013) (U/C)
* A5 Raasdorp - Amsterdam (2012) (U/C)
* A13/A16 Rotterdam bypass (2020) (planned)
* A15 Ressen - Zevenaar (2020) (planned)
* A24 Rozenburg - Maassluis (2020) (planned)
* A74 Venlo - German border (2012) (finished, opens 04-04-2012)

Furthermore, some widening projects are so large they can be considered to be completely new motorways, mainly due to realignments;

* A1 Diemen - Muiderberg (2016) (planned, realignment)
* A4 Leiden (2014) (U/C, partially finished)
* A9 Diemen - Holendrecht (2019) (planned, partial realignment)
* A9 Badhoevedorp (2015) (planned, realignment)

Furthermore there are some 20 or 30 major widening projects going on or planned before 2020, including several N-roads like N31, N35, N61, N62, N279, N340, N356, N381, etc.)

The Netherlands is finally moving ahead in recent years after decades of standstill (comparable to the late 1970's - early 2000's period in Italy).
What about the A/N31 Leeuwarden bypass?

Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2012, 08:33 PM   #6822
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

That one is indeed under construction too. Preparing works started last month
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 08:35 PM   #6823
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
The Council of State has rejected all appeals against the record of decision to construct a new motorway around the town of Steenbergen. This means construction can go ahead. It is anticipated that construction will commence as fast as possible to open the new motorway in late 2013. Some construction had already commenced. The new A4 motorway will shorten the distance between Rotterdam and Antwerpen and relieve local roads and the A16/A58 of through traffic.

That is a majorly important missing link in the European highway network.

One question, why did they opt to take a routing around the west side of Steenbergen instead of a much shorter and more direct routing past its east side?

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 08:46 PM   #6824
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
One question, why did they opt to take a routing around the west side of Steenbergen instead of a much shorter and direct routing past its east side?

Mike
It's what Steenbergen wanted, so that the industrial area west of Steenberen would be easily accessible. If the route would've gone east of Steenbergen, all traffic from the industrial area would've gone through Steenbergen. And there's also a forest on the eastside of Steenbergen (Dassenberg). The western variant will barely affect the Dassenberg, while the eastern variant would go straight through the forest. But mainly so that Steenbergen would get less polluted.

And also (not sure though): the old east-east route (practically a straight line between Bergen Op Zoom and Dinteloord) was rejected by the Council of State (?) a long time ago. And because of that, it's forbidden to choose that route again.

The dumb thing is that with a wind usually coming from the west, Steenbergen would benefit more of an eastern variant in stead of a western one, where the pollution will be blown over Steenbergen. But I'm not going to argue with them, I'm just glad they are goin to build the road
Old March 14th, 2012, 08:46 PM   #6825
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

To connect with N257 and avoid damaging some "green" areas with some creeks.
Old March 14th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #6826
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19390

Pollution from motorways is significantly below the limits in nearly the entire country, so it doesn't really matter where the motorway runs. The influence of emissions related to the motorway decreases quickly beyond a 100 meter distance, especially in an open environment like here.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #6827
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

How about the sound then. With a wind coming from the east I can hear the A4 at night. And I live 2 kms away from the highway. Steenbergen is less than 1 km away from the A4 with a wind usually coming from the west.
Old March 14th, 2012, 09:02 PM   #6828
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There is effective noise abatement in the Netherlands. The fact that you can hear something at night does not necessarily mean limits are exceeded. Many people incorrectly assume that noise mitigation means you don't hear anything at all.
Old March 14th, 2012, 09:04 PM   #6829
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

I'm not saying that any limits are exceeded, I'm just saying that Steenbergen will get more noise problems than they would've had with an A4 east of Welberg (which is a village east of Steenbergen). They just had to build a 2x1 N257 passing Steenbergen on the north on around the same route as the A4 is currently being built. That would've saved them from a lot of noise (still not saying anything about limits being exceeded etc.)
Old March 14th, 2012, 09:52 PM   #6830
julesstoop

Likes (Received): 80

This looks like an (reasonable) trade-off. Steenbergen will profit more from the proximity of the highway this way, but the route is slightly longer.
Old March 14th, 2012, 09:58 PM   #6831
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Why not build 2 highway sectors then: A4-west and A4-oost
Old March 15th, 2012, 03:03 PM   #6832
Kaaskop
Netherlands

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
I hope you mean the VVD and PVV by ''they''.
As soon as GL, D66, SP or the PvdA get in the government, forget about new infrastructure . They will be busy with nothing more than taxing the rich more and subsidies for the poor and more bureaucracy and rules.
You have a wrong image of the D66 by putting them in that list, the D66 is a social-liberal party. The examples you gave do not match with the D66: the D66 wants to cut the number of subsidies (like the "aanrechtsubsidie"), decrease bureaucracy and are against higher taxes.
Concerning road policy, they support the new road projects. However, they prefer road-widening projects above new roads and they want to combine this with a road pricing system (kilometerheffing).
I didn't vote on this party btw, I just want to clarify stuff. :-)
Kaaskop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #6833
julesstoop

Likes (Received): 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Why not build 2 highway sectors then: A4-west and A4-oost
Because that would be an not so reasonable trade-off. The two junctions and the extra piece of road would make it a very expensive solution. Let alone the fact that the eastern branch would need to be partly tunneled - close to the south junction - because of the nature reserve that was mentioned earlier.
Old March 15th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #6834
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaaskop View Post
You have a wrong image of the D66 by putting them in that list, the D66 is a social-liberal party. The examples you gave do not match with the D66: the D66 wants to cut the number of subsidies (like the "aanrechtsubsidie"), decrease bureaucracy and are against higher taxes.
Concerning road policy, they support the new road projects. However, they prefer road-widening projects above new roads and they want to combine this with a road pricing system (kilometerheffing).
I didn't vote on this party btw, I just want to clarify stuff. :-)
Already exists, it's called fuel duty.

kilometerheffing is 1 mahoosive bureaucratic fiasco. You need government idiots to manage the system from their desks and that is bureaucracy imho.

The GPS idea will also be a technological disaster, not to mention expensive.
And checking the mileage at MOT is stupid too, it doesn't take account for driving abroad and there is a lot of fraud with APK(MOT, for any English speakers) already, for 100€ every Turk in Rotterdam Zuid will do a ''zwarte apk'', which means they don't even look at your car.

Afaik D66 is pretty much against any road widening and new roads from what I can remember from the media. And they have a ridiculous environmental policy which in my opinion is also wasted money and unnecessary subsidies.

Quote:
This proofs that the statement of snowdog is false: "As soon as GL, D66, SP or the PvdA get in the government, forget about new infrastructure".
I don't really consider a couple of shoulder running cases ''new infrastructure''.
Besides, their point is: ''Met het aanleggen van nieuwe wegen betrachten wij grote terughoudendheid. Duurzame inpassing in het landschap is altijd voorwaarde. ''
Which to me means they will only agree to absolutely essential projects to prevent 12hr per day gridlock, and waste a huge amount of money protecting some farmland while at it.

The HSL is also rediculous, the bloody birds near Hazerswoude get a tunnel but the inhabitants of Berkel&Rodenrijs and Bergschenhoek hear high speed trains thundering by every so often.
Cow&bird land is not something worth wasting tax money on, people are. ''Duurzaam'' is just an excuse to spend millions in subsidies for rubbish.

Last edited by snowdog; March 15th, 2012 at 09:06 PM.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2012, 11:54 PM   #6835
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

A4 Halsteren - Dinteloord update (also checking near Steenbergen and Dinteloord!)

Here are the pics. There are a lot more than usual. Last time was a record with 86 pics, this time I have 119 pics to offer!!
Due to Picasaweb and it's 1000 picture limit per album (not account!), I made a new album. I linked it from the last post in the original album
I started at the Nuijten farm and went north towards Steenbergen and the aqueduct. After that, I went further north towards Dinteloord. After that I had time left and made some pics near Halsteren and Klutsdorp too.

Click here for all 119 pics!

Since the Council of State has rejected all appeals against the record of decision, the speed of the building is incredibly high! . Last saturday there was barely anything visible here, look now! Location = former Nuijten farm

At the Drielindekensdijk more trees were cut. Also on the nearby N257 trees were cut

Aquaduct Steenbergen (Also called Steenbergen Aan Zee = Steenbergen at sea). I couldn't get much closer due to a fence that was placed...

The groundworks have started near the aqueduct too (small section)

N259 just north of Steenbergen. The man in the shovel waved at me btw
The sign says: (!) Stoomvorming, which means: Watch out! steam formation

Looking back over my shoulder:

The temporary roundabout near Steenbergen: this roundabout caused some problems on my way back south. After a tractor hd just turned right, a whole bunch of cars were coming towards the roundabout. Which caused people t hit their brakes. The tail of the traffic jam was near the bridge over the Steenbergshe Vliet. Here, the road goes to the right a bit, blocking the view. A new bunch of vehicles came and had to hit the brakes too. In this group, a truck almost hit the car in front of him. And he was NOT tailgating, they just had to brake that hard :o. More about tractors later btw

Arrived at the Zuidzeedijk: There was a piling rig here too (which was just being stopped btw). A road block was being set. After the guy drove away I just passed it . BTW: they tolerate cyclists (I was not the only one). So you're not officially allowed to go there, but they tolerate it .
The north is on the left side

The piling rig:

Looking north

Again, slightly different angle

Klutsdorp: I went on the highest slope here, providing an excellent view . Looking south:

Looking north:

Back on the ground, looking at the viaduct of the exit Halsteren. (looking southbound with zoom)

On top of the exit they were very busy. On top of the exit, new lighting poles were placed (east side), and on the westside they were filling the holes where the future lane towards Tholen (westbound) will come. This is what it looked like on feb 26th

Some things have changed here too, at the N259/A4/N286 intersection: Traffic has to merge earlier and tractors are allowed on this stretch (which leads directly to the highway) to make it possible for them to bring sand/gravel to the working area.

2 videos and something about tractors and the N259 in the next post.
It's a bit too much for 1 post imo
Old March 17th, 2012, 12:21 AM   #6836
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

The videos:

The piling rig at the Steenbergen aqueduct in action: (short video)

Looking northbound at the Zuidzeedijk near Dinteloord, checking out a nice stretch including the exit Dintloord from 2 km away

And then the nice story

About tractors on the N259:
There is an absurd amount of tractors on the N259. Let me paint a picture for you
(Let me remind you that this road carries up to 20.000 vehicles on 2x1 lanes with roundabouts and traffic lights)

It started going northbound. I was overtaken by the tractor just north of Steenbergen (I was on my bike as usual ), when I exited the N259 at the Zuidzeedijk, about 2 kms north. The line of cars behind the tractor was still passing me! At least 3 kms of traffic behind that one.
Going sothbound it was just insane. I had to wait for 12 minutes before I could pass the N259 due to a tractor and its line of cars behind... I would've had to wait even longer, but a nice truck driver saw me and left a gap for me to pass (Thank you!!) The tractor was going southbound btw. After 1 km of biking, the line of cars started. As I heard later of my neighbour who was going northbound (we just missed eachother) the line was about 6 kms long when he passed. (Traffic jam on GMaps). When I got to the roundabout where the head of the traffic jam was, I noticed no traffic coming from Bergen Op Zoom... It turned out to be 4 tractors in a row(!) with a line of cars and trucks of about 2,5 kms behind them. As I was looking at the traffic jam behind those trucks, a tractor passed me (he was going southbound). He took the exit near the greenhouses at Klutsdorp. A whole line started overtaking me. The traffic jam eventually was just over 2 kms long. The line got held up by the traffic lights at Halsteren. After taking pics near Halsteren and Klutsdorp, I went to the N259 again. A whole line of cars again, in almost complete standstill. In the middle of the traffic jam, there was - indeed - a tractor... At the lights at Halsteren. 2 trucks from Halsteren going right towards the works of the A4. 1 from the works going right, onto the N259. And further in Halsteren 3 more tractors standing in the traffic jam caused by the traffic lights

Recap: 14 tractors, on a busy 2x1 lane stretch (length = 9,5 kms), in a time period of about 1,5-2 hours. That's just insane!
Old March 17th, 2012, 03:40 PM   #6837
Agnette

Likes (Received): 29

Motorway (Autosnelweg) A28 [Assen - Zwolle]:

Quote:
That appears to be recorded a little while ago, maybe a year. A28 has full capacity available since april 2011.
Yes Chris, You are right, recorded in March 2011. Is it a Plus lane in Zwolle before yellow lines/lane? .. and why traffic was separated on IJsselbrug?
Old March 18th, 2012, 02:21 PM   #6838
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The flyover in Utrecht (24 Oktoberplein) has been substantially completed this weekend. All decks have been placed into position now. The flyover will smooth traffic from A2 to the Utrecht convention center and the railway station. It will open to traffic in July.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostle View Post
Alle elementen zijn geplaatst:

Old March 18th, 2012, 02:28 PM   #6839
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

3 pictures of the A10 in Amsterdam, at the future intersection with the A5.

Old March 19th, 2012, 12:26 AM   #6840
Jakub Warszauer

Likes (Received): 552

Quote:
The flyover in Utrecht (24 Oktoberplein) has been substantially completed this weekend. All decks have been placed into position now. The flyover will smooth traffic from A2 to the Utrecht convention center and the railway station. It will open to traffic in July.
How long it takes in Netherlands to build this kind of flyover?
Jakub Warszauer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands