daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 05:14 PM   #6881
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19405

Infrastructure spending (road and rail) have been generally low since the 1970's, generally at less than 1% of the GDP, which is fairly low compared to other developed countries, especially given our high taxation on automobility, which is one of the highest in the world.

Even though budgets are generally tight, value for money in the Netherlands has been high in recent years, at least when speaking of national projects. Our network is generally well-maintained and we currently have one of the most effective funding and construction programmes in Europe (the MIRT programme), which I think is something to be proud of.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2012, 05:23 PM   #6882
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N62 Sluiskil Tunnel

The construction of the new 2x2 Sluiskil Tunnel near Terneuzen is progressing. Relatively uniquely, this will be a bored tunnel, to my knowledge this is only the third bored road tunnel in the Netherlands.

It crosses the Canal Terneuzen - Gent, earlier this week Belgium and the Netherlands agreed to construct new locks at Terneuzen worth € 1 billion to allow the largest ships to enter the port of Gent. Due to heavy shipping, the bridge is being replaced by a twin-tube tunnel. The TBM will be assembled in late 2012, and the tunnel is due for completion in 2015.

credit: https://beeldbank.rws.nl, Rijkswaterstaat / Joop van Houdt
Old March 22nd, 2012, 05:42 PM   #6883
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

A very very crucial link for the region.

Which are the other bored tunnels? The Westerscheldetunnel and...?
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 05:45 PM   #6884
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Hubertus Tunnel in The Hague (your turf) is also bored
Old March 22nd, 2012, 05:56 PM   #6885
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Oh that's right, what a thing to miss. I can almost see it from my window
Old March 22nd, 2012, 06:15 PM   #6886
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21247

Isn't the Maastunnel also bored? And the Roertunnel?
Old March 22nd, 2012, 06:18 PM   #6887
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Maas Tunnel is immersed, in fact, it was the first rectangle immersion tunnel in the world.

The Roer Tunnel was an open-pit construction.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 11:07 PM   #6888
MattN

Likes (Received): 91

On that public transport note, it is rather good compared to other places especially Britain, even with the recent cuts. This is especially so in rural areas. Of course rural areas will have high levels of car ownership and use, but I'd hardly describe this as 'no public transport to speak of'. Frequencies and hours of operation seem pretty good, interchange is good as well (especially when it isn't considered at all in British transport 'planning'), network coverage is great. Many rural areas of the country complete coverage with Demand Responsive Transport. A pity that tariff integration with trains is suffering with the OV-Chipkaart though, that can't help anyone.
MattN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 03:52 AM   #6889
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Some comments on your train/car public transport discussion.

The costs discussion
When you are deciding whether traveling by train or car and you already own a car, the only costs that are being compared are the costs of the train ticket and the costs of the gasoline+some tiny wear costs maybe, plus opportunity costs - e.g. time. All other costs are sunk costs and are irrelevant in the discussion. So it happens that most people in the NL in the productive age already have car at their disposal and the price of car thus doesnt influence their decission making. And people own the car not because they would need it to get to their work, but because they want to have individual mean of transport.

It also so happens that because of that the prices of the train are rather high compared to the car transport prices in NL. In many cases car becomes cheaper then the train for individuals and it is allways cheaper for two or more people. In fact when I drive a car to Utrecht (more then 100 km) it is only because it costs me less then to use the train. I could not imagine daily commuting with a car more then 100 kms every day. It would kill me. Two hours lost. Two hours that I could spend doing something usefull in the train, even if it were the sleeping, that I could not do because I have to get up eraly because I have to commute so far.

About the public transport. I find the trains system in the NL really top notch, certainly in the West of the country. In fact the country is really blessings for trains. The flat terrain, high population density. No big centers, but several clustered cities in close proximity... Really transrapid train paradise.

The city public transport is good, but I have used better and cheaper(income adjusted) one in CZ, although I understand that city public/private transport is mostly done by bikes and it works perfect. The countryside public transport or village/suburb/city public transport is rather poor and mostly it seems also quite uselles. Don't know if it is because that for exactly those distances everyone uses the car, or because the busses are so scarce that no one really thinks about them.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 12:43 PM   #6890
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Road widenings have much more effect on reducing traffic congestion than a similar investment in public transport would ever have, just look at the A2 widenings.
It is true. True, unless you are in a densely built area (basically city centers).
However, rail insfrastructures (I mean everíthing that uses rails: tram, subway, railways) are well developed in Dutch cities, and commuter railways are well developed as well. Additionally, the service has a quite high quality.
So my opinion is that the Netherlands shall maintain this quality of inside-city and commuter rail infrastructures, even develop them slightly (new stops, P+R equipments, new inside-city connections and fasten the existing ones) it avoid the increasing of car traffic directed to city centers since road widening would be extremely expensive in such areas.
However, since most of Dutch traffic are not directed to (or coming from) city centers, the main traffic issue is on the roads which can only effectively reduced by road widenings and by building new road connections.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 04:13 PM   #6891
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Separated lanes to prevent accidents in Zeeland
Alwin Kuiken − 23/03/12, 12:51

Zeeland will be the first province in the country to split provincial roads in two on a massive scale using crash barriers on green medians (as pictured, above). The goal is to lower the number of deaths on the infamously dangerous roads.

(...)

Provincial roads are notoriously dangerous in the Netherlands: some 40% of all traffic related deaths occur on provincial roads. The odds of dying on an 80km/h provincial road are four times higher than on a 120km/h motorway.

Zeeland has hardly any motorways due to its relatively low population density. That means it has relatively more provincial roads: 400km in total. According to the provincial government, the number of traffic deaths refuses to go down because of these roads despite various measures to make the provincial infrastructure safer. The number of traffic injuries has been on the rise since 2006.

The provincial government has now decided to take drastic action by separating the lanes of all 1x1 provincial roads. The money will predominantly have to come from the dividends of energy company Delta of which the provincial government is a major shareholder. These dividends amount to dozens of millions every year. Most of the money will need to be spent on the purchase of land as the operation requires wider roads. The total costs are not yet known.

(...)

This article has been clipped and translated. For the full article, click here (Dutch).
Old March 23rd, 2012, 04:17 PM   #6892
ChrisZwolle
Road user

As a matter of fact that news has been reviewed as "nonsense" by the Zeeland province. According to the responsible official at Zeeland province; "the journalist doesn't know what he's talking about".

See here (Dutch)
Old March 23rd, 2012, 04:24 PM   #6893
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

"Maar morgen kan dat weer anders zijn" - what the hell is going on down there? I go through the trouble of translating an article and it turns out the guy is wildly schizophrenic?
Old March 23rd, 2012, 04:31 PM   #6894
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Unfortunately there's a tendency to claim that two-lane roads are wildly dangerous due to passing. However this is not correct.

First of all, the Dutch roads are among safest in the entire world. Secondly, a large number of fatalities in traffic accidents are cyclists and pedestrians. In 2011, 30% of the traffic fatalities in Zeeland were cyclists or pedestrians.

However, percentages don't say much if the numbers are insignificant, and this is the key in today's approach to traffic safety. One or two more or less fatalities already result in huge percentual changes on a road or regional level.

For example, the Zeeland 2011 statistics;

In 2011, 18 people were killed on Zeeland roads. 12 of these fatalities occurred on municipal roads, including 4 cyclists and 2 pedestrians. Another two occurred on trunk roads (rijkswegen). This leaves just 3 fatalities on provincial roads. Out of these three, two of them occurred due to swerving into oncoming traffic. One of them occurred on a road that will be widened to 2x2 lanes in the next years (N62).

This leaves just 1 (one!) fatality that would have possibly been saved if they had spent hundreds of millions of euros into dividing two-lane roads with guardrails.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 04:54 PM   #6895
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

That's pretty pointless then. What kind of journalist doesn't look up the actual figures before writing an article like that?
Old March 23rd, 2012, 04:55 PM   #6896
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

An average local reporter. There are a lot of them providing articles for the internet version of BN De Stem (one of the local newspapers in my region)

With an average of about 2 mistakes in every road related article....
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 10:55 PM   #6897
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A2 Maastricht

Three photos from the large A2 double-deck tunnel project in the southern city of Maastricht. This is the first full-scale double deck tunnel in Europe, previous double-deck tunnels are bored tunnels (A86 Paris) with far less clearance. These tunnels have 4.6 m clearance in all 4 tubes. The project started about a year ago and is slated for completion in 2016. It's not just a road improvement project, but also a large urban renewal project, with loads of structurally deficient housing being demolished and replaced by new housing.

1. Interchange Europaplein, looking from the south.

2. Tunnel excavation

3. the northern entrance at "De Geusselt", some of you may know it because of the football stadium and McDonald's located there.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 11:20 PM   #6898
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post

This leaves just 1 (one!) fatality that would have possibly been saved if they had spent hundreds of millions of euros into dividing two-lane roads with guardrails.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
That's pretty pointless then.
Actulally the money spent on road safety because of lifes saved are from the economic point of view pretty much thrown away. There is hardly any country in the world in which could be on economic bases advocated road safety measures compared to investing the money into e.g. medical care, anti drugs program, youth anit-depression programs, etc. etc. The money/lifes saved efficiency would be higher elsewhere most of the times.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 11:50 AM   #6899
ChrisZwolle
Road user

An example of over-the-top traffic calming near Venlo.
Old March 24th, 2012, 12:24 PM   #6900
Godius
Nitimur in vetitum

Likes (Received): 4069

Godius no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands