daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 29th, 2007, 06:33 PM   #681
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19413

Here you can see how wide the A2 near Utrecht will be in the future;

One part of the viaduct (one direction in the future), carries now 2x3 lanes +wiiiiide shoulders.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2007, 08:42 PM   #682
lpioe

Likes (Received): 18

I've heard in the Netherlands they use hard shoulders as traffic lanes in rush hour.
I wonder how are the markings of this lanes? Dashed line or drawn through line? Or do they have special markings? And how do you know if it is 'open'?
lpioe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2007, 09:13 PM   #683
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Probably using overhead electronic signs? I know that Germany uses this approach often on its motorways.
Old December 30th, 2007, 09:15 PM   #684
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpioe View Post
I've heard in the Netherlands they use hard shoulders as traffic lanes in rush hour.
I wonder how are the markings of this lanes? Dashed line or drawn through line? Or do they have special markings? And how do you know if it is 'open'?
Yes, we have quite a lot of it, i think no country uses this so much as we do.
Rushhour lanes are meant to be a temporary solution until a real widening takes places. Now we now most of these rushhour lanes will be semi-permanent, because of the anti-motorway clubs these days.

A rushhour lane is nothing more than the shoulder in use. You can see some variable signs which shows you when to enter the lane, and when not to. Also, portal matrixsigns over the road shows a green arrow if you are allowed to enter the lane, and a red cross when you are not allowed to do so.

In Dutch these lanes are called "spitsstrook" or "spitsstroken" (plural)

Old December 30th, 2007, 10:04 PM   #685
lpioe

Likes (Received): 18

Thanks for the info.
Have the shoulders in the Netherlands the same width as normal lanes?
lpioe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2007, 10:24 PM   #686
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yes, sometimes even wider.

You know, our roads are extremely busy during the whole day. If a truck gets a breakdown, and has to change a tire, you don't want to close the right lane, because there isn't enough space on the shoulder.

One lane closure can cause traffic jams from 5 am to 11 pm. There is no room in the current capacity for incidents.
Old December 31st, 2007, 12:12 PM   #687
ChrisZwolle
Road user

December 30th 2007, a unique day for the Netherlands

December 30th 2007 was the day the Netherlands was one whole day traffic jam free. There was no single traffic jam during the day.

The Dutch had to wait 5 years and 9 nine months for this special occasion, March 30th 2002 was the last day there were no traffic jams.
Old January 1st, 2008, 03:00 PM   #688
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I had the most freightening drive tonight..

A dense fog came around 11 pm, and was worsened by the fireworks. The fog was so extremely dense, one could not see more than 6 feet or 2 meters. I drove back to my house, 10 miles or 16km to the north, which took me 2 hours driving in 1st gear.

There was absolutely zero sight, you could only see the traffic lights when you are already underneath them, and one could only the the first line of the road markings. It was a complete whiteout, the car in front of me was only 10 feet or 3 meters away, but i could barely see it.

People were walking in front of the cars to look for the road. Finding your exit on a mini-roundabout was challenging, and i ended up half in the greenery. I couldn't see the verge from my drivers seat. People were standing on roundabouts giving directions to the appropratie exit. I have never experienced anything like this.
Old January 2nd, 2008, 01:28 AM   #689
AEvolution

Likes (Received): 148

Same here! I had to travel from Bunnik, near Utrecht, to the Hague. That's 70km/43miles and normally would have taken me about 45 minutes to travel, of which 40 minutes of highway. I left Bunnik 3 am only to arrive in The Hague at 7.15 am!! It took me more than 4 full hours!

Visibility? NONE! The world ended about 3 meters/10 feet in front of my car. The only thing visible was a dashed line on one side of the car and a drawn through line on the other side. Finding your way was nearly impossible. You couldn't see traffic signs, exits, not even a single other car!

Last edited by AEvolution; January 2nd, 2008 at 02:39 PM.
AEvolution no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 01:49 AM   #690
Club_Dru
World citizen

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEvolution View Post
Same here! I had to travel from Bunnik, near Utrecht, to the Hague. That's 70km/43miles and normally it would have taken me about 45 minutes to travel that distance, of which 40 minutes of highway. I left Bunnik 3 am only to arrive in The Hague at 7.15 am!! It took me more than 4 full hours!

Visibility? NONE! The world ended about 3 meters/10 feet in front of my car. The only thing visible was a dashed line on one side of the car and a drawn through line on the other side. Finding your way was nearly impossible. You couldn't see traffic signs, exits, not even a single other car!
Also here in east-NL. After the fireworks we stayed home, because of the fogg and fireworkssmokes you could not see anything. The A1 and the A35 were closed because of cars accidents. Some cars drove into the city-canals. Because of the fogg, the alarmnumber in this region was called 165 times.

I didn't see any firework in the air either. We hope for better times next year

Last edited by Club_Dru; January 2nd, 2008 at 02:32 AM.
Club_Dru no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 04:49 AM   #691
SmarterChild

holy shit! Any more pics of the fogg would be appreciated. Bedankt!
SmarterChild no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 01:11 PM   #692
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Old January 2nd, 2008, 03:03 PM   #693
Chris_533976

Likes (Received): 27

They had that on the M7 in Ireland a few months ago really dense fog.

Did people behave and slow down? No. They kept going 120kmh and kept undertaking, resulting in a 100 car pileup.
Chris_533976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 06:03 PM   #694
AEvolution

Likes (Received): 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmarterChild View Post
holy shit! Any more pics of the fogg would be appreciated. Bedankt!
Pictures? Just hold a piece of white papier at arms lenght in front of your eyes, and you'll get the picture
AEvolution no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2008, 01:05 AM   #695
Club_Dru
World citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_533976 View Post
They had that on the M7 in Ireland a few months ago really dense fog.

Did people behave and slow down? No. They kept going 120kmh and kept undertaking, resulting in a 100 car pileup.
Most people slow down in the city. I was driving a couple of meters and suddenly I was suprised by a cyclist in front of my car. The highways A35 and the A1 to the German border was closed, because of chain-accidents with cars.

Because of the new years festivity, most of the people already had plans to go out. But the visibility was 1 meter, even taxi's didn't drive anymore.

But lucky, Netherland is a bicyclecountry, sow the most diehard partypeople went cycling.
Club_Dru no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2008, 05:41 PM   #696
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Dutch gas price (euro 95 gasoline) has risen to €1,538. That is the equivalent of US $ 8,557 per gallon. That gives some perspective to the Americans who says their $ 3 per gallon is expensive... Super plus (98 gasoline) even hits € 1,603 per liter that is the equivalent to $ 8,919 per gallon.
Old January 4th, 2008, 03:33 AM   #697
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

I have always been curious about octane ratings. In Israel the ratings are very similar to the Dutch ones (you have 95, 96 and super 98). In Canada (and I think US as well) the ratings are 87, 89, and 91. Does it mean that the fuel quality in North America is lower, or simply a different way of measuring?
Old January 4th, 2008, 01:32 PM   #698
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The lower the octane, the less power an engine can get from a certain amount of gas. A higher octane value means the engine has a better efficiency with the same amount of gas.

So the low octane ratings are less fuel efficient, hence the larger amount of fuel consumption. Together with larger cars and engines, this means Americans might use twice the fuel consumption per capita as in Europe.

Here in the Netherlands, 95 octane is the lowest you can usually get. I know Germany still sells 92 octane called "benzin". 95 octane is called "super" and 98 octane is called "superplus". A lot of tourist get the wrong octane gas in their fuel tank, because they think "benzin" is the same as the euro95 gas in the Netherlands.

Some further reading on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating
Old January 4th, 2008, 01:36 PM   #699
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

Euro 95
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 10:01 PM   #700
Frits_NL

Here some pictures from The Netherlands:

A17 / A16: knooppunt De Stok->knooppunt Klaverpolder->knooppunt Zonzeel
Zip: http://www.xs4all.nl/~fnieuwen/pic/191/Serie191.zip
Album: http://www.xs4all.nl/~fnieuwen/pic/191/

A73 (N271) / N280: knooppunt Het Vonderen->Venlo
Zip: http://www.xs4all.nl/~fnieuwen/pic/192/Serie192.zip
Album: http://www.xs4all.nl/~fnieuwen/pic/192/

A67 Venlo->Eindhoven
Zip: http://www.xs4all.nl/~fnieuwen/pic/193/Serie193.zip
Album: http://www.xs4all.nl/~fnieuwen/pic/193/

The pictures will never stay longer dan two or three weeks online because I have only 200 Mb webspace!
Frits_NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands