daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 1st, 2012, 07:05 PM   #7061
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubam4a1 View Post
Any chance for 80->90 and 100->110 where applied, as well as for 100->110 at 2 + 2 autoweg?
I definitely wouldn't count on that
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2012, 07:56 PM   #7062
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

80>100 will still happen afaik.

the rest, I doubt it, too many eco morons in Holland.

And meh, the speed limit is not really a limit, it's more of a ''financial advisable speed'' imho. I usually don't care at all about the speed limit, drive to the conditions, and watch out for unmarked coppers, highway robbers with radars&lasers and speed camera's.

Nobody is going to force me to drive 100 km/h in the middle of the night on empty wide well lit flat & perfectly straight highways.

Hell, these days it's cheaper to get a laser jaCOUGH parking sensor ( legal loophole still, they can't do you for ''forgetting'' to turn of your laser based parking sensor) than to pay a fine for some prick sitting on a viaduct with his laser gun in the middle of the night. And a good cone filter on a radar detector will pretty much mask it from the Radar detector detector of the cops, OR buy you enough time to turn it off before they notice whose it is.

Only reason not to go for one imho is the false alarms it gives these days due to radar based Cruise control/adaptive cruise control these days in cars.

Last edited by snowdog; May 1st, 2012 at 08:01 PM.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 08:58 PM   #7063
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

30% less congestion in April

The ANWB reports the congestion level in April decreased by 30%, compared to April 2011, despite the pretty rainy weather which occurred throughout most of April. They cite the improved highway infrastructure as the main reason for the lower level of congestion, specifically in the Amsterdam metropolitan area. The 30% decrease is comparable to the 30% decrease during the first quarter of 2012. The trend of lower congestion levels continues for about 2 years straight now, since the completion of major road widening projects. It's the most significant decline in Dutch traffic history.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 10:59 PM   #7064
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21252

Green cars cost treasury €1.3bn

Quote:
A surge in the sale of energy-efficient cars cost the government €1.3bn in lost tax income last year, the national statistics office CBS said on Wednesday.

Last year consumers and companies bought 206,000 cars that were exempt from vehicle tax (bpm) because they were considered to be green. The figure is 3.5 times higher than in 2009.

In 2009, the tax was not levied on 15% of new cars, but last year the figure rose to 37%, costing the treasury €1.3bn in lost tax receipts.

Meanwhile, the number of new motorbikes bought in the Netherlands last year reached 11,0000, well down on 2008’s record 17,000. Some 70% of Dutch motorbike riders are over the age of 40 and getting older, the CBS said.
Source
Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:26 PM   #7065
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Another typical measure from the government that's more popular than anticipated, so they have to cancel it. It happens all the time here (also with non-mobility topics).
Old May 3rd, 2012, 11:49 AM   #7066
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Another typical measure from the government that's more popular than anticipated, so they have to cancel it. It happens all the time here (also with non-mobility topics).
Its well within the logic of the measure. Make it popular, then cancel it, because it will be popular already. Although I think they should have establish it for low consumption vehicles rather then low emmissions. I think ultimately this will move on to electric vehicles tax extemption if there is someone sensible.

Although it will be quite hard. It doesnt make much sence for the "greedy" politician that wants to spend the tax money. But I think there are better things to tax .

At least the government only lost money due to the missing tax. It did not have to pay yearly subsidies on the account of the sold cars .
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:42 PM   #7067
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A10 Amsterdam

Two renders of the widened A10 between the new A5 elevated motorway and the twinned Coen Tunnel. There are currently only 4 lanes here.

location @ Google Maps

construction photo:

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; May 3rd, 2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 09:44 PM   #7068
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

From Amsterdam destination Rotterdam on these signs. Obviously they are optimistic to finalize the missing A4 link with Rotterdam (Schiedam).
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 11:48 PM   #7069
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

No, has nothing to do with the A4.

NL now has a system of next-maindestinations and final-destinations of a road, but a new system will be implemented where the final destinations will be exchanged for network-destinations - control cities. Those are: Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Utrecht, Breda, Eindhoven, Maastricht, Arnhem/Nijmegen, Hengelo, Zwolle and Groningen.
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 12:14 AM   #7070
Road_UK
BANNED

I find the Dutch way of signposting sometimes complicated. Rotterdam is signposted from Antwerp, but Antwerp from Dordrecht only. In Germany, Amsterdam is signposted from Osnabrück, including on all the local roads towards the motorway, but from Amsterdam you have to deal with Hengelo only. HOWEVER, Oberhausen is continiously on these boards from Utrecht onwards, but the German signs will not help you with Utrecht until you have reached the border, and you have to make do with Arnhem instead.
Old May 4th, 2012, 12:45 AM   #7071
Koesj
Historian

Likes (Received): 72

So international differences have a bearing on the consistency of internal Dutch signposting? Am I missing something?
Koesj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 10:00 AM   #7072
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Point has little to do with international driving. Within countries (and not only NL), it happens a lot that the towns signposted do not mirror. Town A may be considered a relevant focal point from Town B, but that is not to say that Town B is automatically relevant from Town A.

In Germany in particular, this happens a lot. München is signposted from Limburg an der Lahn, but from Munich itself they won't even give you Frankfurt. Basel is signposted from the beginning of the A5, yet in a northerly direction, they will give you Frankfurt and no places beyond. I think that this approach makes sense, as it ensures that towns are signposted on the basis of their relevance for the motorist. And that relevance test is not necessarily a full mirror. I would say that a mirror is quite likely when you tend to pick certain fixed towns as a focal point, such as the terminus of a route or the next town of a decent size. But if, in addition to that, you wish to also signpost places with special relevance to drivers, chances of a mirror decrease.

The Germans have a strong tendency towards this relevance-based approach. They believe that Amsterdam is relevant on their A30, hence they signpost it from Bad Oeynhausen westward. But not even from the Dutch-German border, they will signpost Bad Oeynhausen. In Belgium, they also believe that Rotterdam is relevant on their E19, but the Dutch need to choose themselves when they consider Antwerp relevant enough. This was not previously the case, but the new Dutch approach (which, as aswnl mentioned, is currently being rolled out) also highlights a switch to relevance. It might lead to Antwerp being signposted from Rotterdam, so that you get a mirror between the Belgian E19 and the Dutch A16. But Osnabrück, let alone Bad Oeynhausen, will not be relevant on the A1 out of Amsterdam. Maybe they will signpost Osnabrück somewhere in the East, but that should be it. In other words, no mirror. The same will continue to occur on the Dutch A12 and the German A3. Oberhausen is relevant from as early as Utrecht, but from Oberhausen there is little merit in going beyond Arnhem. Only shortly before the border, Utrecht becomes relevant.

In the traditional Dutch approach, by the way, chances of a mirror were much larger. You would get a combination of a regional centre with a town close to the road's terminus. So on the A1, for instance, the western terminus Amsterdam was signposted all the way from the east and the eastern terminus Hengelo was signposted all the way from the west. Regional centres like Apeldoorn and Amersfoort were signposted on a mirroring basis. Easy to work out, but I prefer the new system that is much more based on information that the motorist may be after.

Last edited by -Pino-; May 4th, 2012 at 06:02 PM.
-Pino- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 10:18 AM   #7073
Road_UK
BANNED

I see your point. Thank you for clearing that up. It does not make sense to signpost Kassel from Basel, as the major intersections for through traffic are at Karlsruhe and Frankfurt.
Old May 4th, 2012, 01:12 PM   #7074
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A12 Gouda - Utrecht

The fourth lane on the eastbound A12 between Gouda and Woerden will open to traffic next Monday. Then finally the entire A12 between Gouda and Utrecht will feature 2x4 lanes. The motorway is one of the busiest intercity motorways in the Netherlands, with 150.000 - 180.000 vehicles per day. The eastbound A12 was the 12th worst traffic jam in 2011, which will be solved as of next Monday.

Here's an aerial photo of A12 before the widening near De Meern.
Old May 4th, 2012, 01:19 PM   #7075
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6165

Weird placement of those farms, all in a line and so close together. You don't see that much in other parts of the country.

Good news on the motorway.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 11:24 PM   #7076
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

The 4th lane had already been opened between Gouda and Nieuwerbrug and between Woerden and Utrecht. Now it's time for the last section between Nieuwerbrug and Woerden.
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 03:26 PM   #7077
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N307 Dronten - Lelystad

The new N307 between Dronten and Lelystad in the Flevoland province opened to traffic today. I made a video of the new 100 km/h road.

Old May 5th, 2012, 03:34 PM   #7078
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Damn! The video ended just before a turboroundabout!

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 03:43 PM   #7079
bogdymol
bogdymod

Nice video! The road is "Strumatic", but I don't like it: you can't pass a slower vehicle (not even emergency vehicles can pass slower ones) and I think that the overpasses are not designed be able to have 2+2 lanes under them.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 03:52 PM   #7080
Agnette

Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The new N307 between Dronten and Lelystad in the Flevoland province opened to traffic today. I made a video of the new 100 km/h road..
Amazing 2x1 road!
And what does it mean the "b" letter on this sign?:

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands