daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 5th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #7081
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

These suffixes are used for ramps. A/B/C/D and whichever is necessary. Some go as high as Y or Z if there are many ramps.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 5th, 2012, 03:57 PM   #7082
Batavier
"Covfefe" ??? Enjoy!

Likes (Received): 839

Nice video, good to see that the new expressway is finished, I'm not sure if I saw it right, are the bridges on this road already built for an expansion to a 2 by 2 road?
Batavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 04:10 PM   #7083
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The new N307 is designed for 4 lanes indeed, but not a motorway (no space for full-size shoulders under overpasses).

The N307 should eventually be a full 4-lane expressway between Lelystad and Kampen, but this will not happen before 2020 or 2025.
Old May 5th, 2012, 04:47 PM   #7084
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
These suffixes are used for ramps. A/B/C/D and whichever is necessary. Some go as high as Y or Z if there are many ramps.
I've found a Y at Ridderkerk interchange: http://maps.google.es/maps?ll=51.875...,341.8,,3,13.6
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 12:32 PM   #7085
dawid_silesia
S919 (Opava) - Gliwice

Likes (Received): 287

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The new N307 between Dronten and Lelystad in the Flevoland province opened to traffic today. I made a video of the new 100 km/h road.

On left Hanzelijn?
dawid_silesia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 12:33 PM   #7086
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Correct. It's not in operation yet. They start in December.

I also made a video in the other direction:

Old May 8th, 2012, 05:22 PM   #7087
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N57 Oosterschelde Barrier

Beeldbank RWS
Old May 8th, 2012, 06:05 PM   #7088
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Lucky me this morning - waiting for the Volkerakbrug in the A29

Old May 8th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #7089
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Does it take longer than on the A6? I would guess so, more shipts etc.

I waited on the A6 several times and never longer then 10 minutes.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 07:40 PM   #7090
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

This one can take longer, but I never had to wait there more than 20 mins.
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 07:42 PM   #7091
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Bridge openings in the Netherlands are mainly due to recreational shipping, and far less frequent because of professional shipping. Especially sailing yachts are the cause of bridge openings in the summer season. That's why you see so many aqueducts in Friesland...
Old May 8th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #7092
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

This was for a recreational ship.
Old May 9th, 2012, 02:03 AM   #7093
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

I don't agree with such bridge opening on motorways, expecially for ''recreational'' reasons, surely on the long run it's cheaper to just build a higher bridge or tunnel rather than suffer all the lost hours every time the traffic on a highway gets severely hampered ? Not to mention being more social to motorists who pay their arse of in tax and fuel duty for use of the roads.

These days high bridges are considered ''pulluting the landscape'' by some NIMBY whiners though .
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 10:50 AM   #7094
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's all about the money. Most aqueducts in Friesland are relatively small and cost no more than € 10 - 20 million. Large aqueducts, like Haringvliet or Ketelbrug, will be much more expensive.
Old May 9th, 2012, 11:31 AM   #7095
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A2 Amsterdam - Utrecht section control

The Telegraaf newspaper reports the section control on A2 Amsterdam - Utrecht will be operational faster than anticipated. The coming months will be used to test the new cameras and software, after which fining will commence in the late summer. It was originally planned to start fining people at the end of 2012.

The A2 is a 10-lane motorway with a speed limit of 100 km/h, which is widely considered to be too low.
Old May 9th, 2012, 11:45 AM   #7096
bogdymol
bogdymod

I am sure that on that section of A2 you have electornic signs. The speed limit should be ~120 km/h, and the electronic signs would make it 100 if there is a lot of traffic...

But I have a feeling that they just want to collect some money from the people... Imagine how would be to drive with 100 km/h on a 10 lane motorway alone at night
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 12:17 PM   #7097
Der-Roedie

Likes (Received): 0

Better Place to Open Battery Switch Station at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol

Not directly related to Dutch highways (since the station won't be attached to the highway system itself), but definately an interesting development in Dutch mobility taking place.

Quote:
The station is part of the European Commission's first de-carbonization infrastructure project. Better Place today announced the company will open its first battery switch station in the Netherlands at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol.The Amsterdam battery switch station is the part of the first and only project to be funded under DG MOVE's new de-carbonization infrastructure category in the "Trans-European Transport Network" program.

The Schiphol station, which is set to be completed this summer, will serve switchable battery electric taxis, providing them with virtually unlimited range as they commute back and forth from the airport to Amsterdam. The City of Amsterdam, like many governments and municipalities in Europe, is seeking innovative ways to reduce CO2 emissions and pollution. Electrification of taxis is one of their focus areas.

The switch station is being developed in partnership with the City of Amsterdam and Amsterdam Airport Schiphol and will initially serve 10 Renault Fluence Z.E. taxis operated by three leading Dutch taxi companies, Connexxion, Bios and TCA.

"Although taxis are not our typical customer segment, they are a great fit for our switchable battery model, as electric taxis cannot afford downtime when recharging their batteries," said Jelle Vastert, Director of Business Development for Better Place in the Netherlands. "This is a great first step for Better Place in the Netherlands, and this program allows us to showcase the value of the Better Place model while evaluating the mass-market potential for electric cars in the region."

The Better Place model overcomes the two historic barriers to mass adoption of electric cars -- cost and convenience. By separating the ownership of the car and the battery, Better Place eliminates the burdens of cost, maintenance, and warranty, as well as concerns regarding residual value and battery obsolescence, from the driver. Thanks to battery switch, Better Place gives drivers the same freedom of drive and unlimited range experienced in a petrol car.

Electric cars with depleted batteries need to simply pull into a switch station and the fully-automated process will simply switch their empty battery with a full one in five minutes, about the same amount of time it takes to fill a tank with petrol. Battery switch is the only means of range extension that allows electric taxis to maintain their same level of service with minimal downtime to charge.

"Amsterdam Airport Schiphol is supportive of innovative concepts that will enhance sustainable mobility at the airport. Electrification of transportation will play a key role in achieving this goal", said Ad Rutten, Executive President and COO of Schiphol Group. "We are very pleased that Better Place has selected Schiphol airport to open their Switch Station and join forces with us and the taxi companies already involved at the airport in our ambition for a sustainable airport."
The announcement above was already posted on the source's website a couple of months ago. Since then I haven't read much about it but I assume that serious preparations are still ongoing. In fact, the station was already announced half a year ago by a Dutch consultancy bureau named DHV that started working on a strategy for the company Better Place to systematically introduce the battery swap system in the Netherlands, amongst others by calculating an ideal geopgraphical grid pattern and mapping the legal permit procedures.

It's not the first news related to service stations designated for electric cars in the Amsterdam area either. Half a year ago the biggest 'electric service station' was announced along the A10 ringroad, and in addition Total already installed 'quick charging points' (plug to drive) at a regular service station at Stadionplein in 2011. The latter points are also prepared for a yet-to-be-introduced system that allows electric cars to be charged with alternating current electricity, which will be much quicker.

Seems that the pace of these developments is still accelerating! Now it's just a matter of battery prices to drop so that electric cars become financially attractive for the masses. Most of the full electric cars in the Amsterdam region today are owned by taxi companies that are subsidised by the municipal government (and indirectly by the EU).
Der-Roedie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 12:46 PM   #7098
ChrisZwolle
Road user

They are currently planning a nationwide network of 459 electric charging points along motorways.

Unfortunately current electric cars still have many disadvantages. Besides price, the main issue is the lack of range, most electric cars cannot drive more than 40 or 50 kilometers and they are not as cheap as advertised. Sure, you can get a full battery for just € 3 or € 4, but if the range is only 50 kilometers, it's not cheaper than diesel. € 4 worth of diesel gets me 55 kilometers driving range.
Old May 9th, 2012, 01:01 PM   #7099
Der-Roedie

Likes (Received): 0

The driving range of the Renault Fluence Z.E. is coming close to 160km, which is just above average for a full electric car nowadays. Besides, the battery swap concept makes it possible to 'fuel' the car in just 2 minutes, comparable to refueling a car with a normal combustion engine. This takes away one of the main limitations faced by electric cars: the extensive amount of time to recharge the battery. If battery swap stations will mushroom throughout Europe it would even allow driving to holiday destionations without considerable delays for charging.
Der-Roedie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 01:14 PM   #7100
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I doubt if battery swaps will be successful if you have to change them every half hour at motorway speed. The actual range is usually less than advertised and nobody will drive until the battery is nearly dead, heck most people refuel when they can still drive over 100 kilometers.

I don't think electric cars become popular until they have the same specs as combustion engine cars in terms of affordability, reliability and range.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands