daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 12th, 2012, 08:53 PM   #7141
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19405

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
How many of such bridges (2+2+4) will Netherlands ultimately have? Because I don't think for obvious reasons they can remove the central pylon there
There is another bridge with that setup, which is the IJssel Bridge near Westervoort, just east of Arnhem. It carries the A12 motorway. It has 4+2+2 lanes, though the outermost lanes are not through lanes (they begin/end at the Velperplein roundabout).

Such situations only occur if another bridge is constructed next to it. It is not impossible the Merwede Bridge near Gorinchem (A27) will feature a similar layout, because they desperately need to do this "on the cheap" due to the lack of funding.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #7142
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
snowdog'.

the others walk over them, not government. If people are behaving ruthless its not fault of the government but of the people. Government is in fact something that rises from the willingnes of people to restrain themselves.

If you want to live in a really free country I would advise Somalia...
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #7143
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
That is because drivers pay a lot for their privilege and therefore have higher expectations of their form of travel.
There is the main reason. People pay for something and think that it implies that they can do everything and act like there is none else around. So then it can be a bit disappointing to see that there are more people with the same privilege who want to act like there is none else around. And that wil show the typical Dutch nature: "ikke, ikke, ikke": "Me, myself and I". And as stated before, agression als happend on other places which have nothing to do with road travel, so it proves that is had nothing to do with any lack of space on the roads, speed limits, etc.
Old May 12th, 2012, 09:05 PM   #7144
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
There is the main reason. People pay for something and think that it implies that they can do everything and act like there is none else around. So then it can be a bit disappointing to see that there are more people with the same privilege who want to act like there is none else around. And that wil show the typical Dutch nature: "ikke, ikke, ikke": "Me, myself and I". And as stated before, agression als happend on other places which have nothing to do with road travel, so it proves that is had nothing to do with any lack of space on the roads, speed limits, etc.
That goes both ways, imho ''slow'' drivers are the ones who can act like there's no one else around, taking no account at all for the time (=money) of other people.

Luckily on the road most drivers have the right idea, there is only a minority of people deliberately not letting other pass them, you have motorists warning each other for the danger ahead (radar traps, laser speed traps, etc), that is hardly egoistic behaviour, that is motorists uniting against the terror against them.

Much aggression is caused by testing peoples patience unneccesarily in the first place, that doesn't just apply to traffic.

Last edited by snowdog; May 12th, 2012 at 09:13 PM.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 09:14 PM   #7145
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
That goes both ways, imho ''slow'' drivers are the ones who can act like there's no one else around, taking no account at all for the time (=money) of other people.

Luckily on the road most drivers have the right idea, there is only a minority of people deliberately not letting other pass them, you have motorists warning each other for the danger ahead (radar traps, laser speed traps, etc), that is hardly egoistic behaviour, that is motorists uniting against the terror against them.

Much aggression is caused by testing peoples patience unneccesarily in the first place, that doesn't just apply to traffic.
I could not help to write this, its funny, and any mod can feel free to delete my last comments including this one. But please snowdog, don't test my patience
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 05:03 PM   #7146
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A12 Arnhem widening

The widening of A12 near Arnhem to 2x3 lanes is nearly completed. It has been suggested the 2x3 lanes may even open tomorrow.

Old May 13th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #7147
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21247

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Very odd lane constraint signaling in the gantry.
Old May 13th, 2012, 06:33 PM   #7148
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Not entirely new

Old May 13th, 2012, 07:13 PM   #7149
bogdymol
bogdymod

I love the motorway signs in NL. They are all very clear (not like ours...).
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2012, 07:53 PM   #7150
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
I love the motorway signs in NL. They are all very clear (not like ours...).
Not always that clear. People could read this situation as: Exit Arnhem-Noord is after the A12/A50 intersection.

But if you think that, you're wrong, since it seemed to be an exit on the A50:
Old May 13th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #7151
bogdymol
bogdymod

It's still better than this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baiazid
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 04:08 PM   #7152
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A12 Arnhem widening

The A12 widening near the city of Arnhem was completed this morning. In less than 9 months they replaced 3 viaducts, widened 2 viaducts and 1 tunnel. The motorway currently has 2x3 lanes to handle the 100.000 vehicles that use this section on a daily basis.

Some photos I took this morning:

image hosted on flickr

A12 Arnhem-1 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A12 Arnhem-2 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A12 Arnhem-3 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A12 Arnhem-4 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A12 Arnhem-7 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A12 Arnhem-8 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A12 Arnhem-10 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
Old May 15th, 2012, 12:49 PM   #7153
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Driving widened A12:

Old May 15th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #7154
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A4 Den Haag

Minister Schultz van Haegen has decided about the A4 project around Den Haag (The Hague). The goal is to better distribute traffic to and from Den Haag, and increase capacity on the Den Haag bypass (A4).

The A4 will be widened with a local-express setup between N14 and Beatrixlaan, a distance of 3.5 kilometers. The exact design is not known yet, adding a local-express setup along A4 may widen this motorway to as much as 20 lanes, because there are currently already 16 lanes. In addition, A4 will be widened further south to the Den Hoorn exit. A short section of A13 will be widened to 10 lanes. (€ 319 million)

Several A4 interchanges will be expanded in capacity.

Two intersections along N14 will be grade-separated (€ 63 million)

N211 will be widened to 2x3 lanes, and grade-separated. (€ 37 million)
N211 will be grade-separated along the west side of Den Haag until the Erasmusweg. (€ 58 million)
Two grade-separated interchanges will be constructed along the Beatrixlaan in Den Haag. (€ 90 million)

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; May 15th, 2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old May 15th, 2012, 07:00 PM   #7155
the_Aristocrat

Likes (Received): 0

A video I recently made of driving on the A20 towards Rotterdam. At 03m40 you will see an Opel Corsa that I pass, and if you listen closely you can hear it smashing into the traffic jam at 04m00. Wondered why he pulled up next to me when after I passed him, but did not slow down / see the traffic jam.

Curious thing, I was the 2nd accident that happened right next to me that week.

the_Aristocrat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 07:13 PM   #7156
CitoyenNéerlandais

Likes (Received): 484

Thanks. Really good video with a good quality.
CitoyenNéerlandais no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #7157
the_Aristocrat

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitoyenNéerlandais View Post
Thanks. Really good video with a good quality.
I am so happy with my new (2nd hand) HD-cam, makes massive videos (got an extra external HD) but the quality is really fine. Got a second Rotterdam video in the pipeline, will post it here when it is uploaded.
the_Aristocrat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 08:46 PM   #7158
snowdog
Speed freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Minister Schultz van Haegen has decided about the A4 project around Den Haag (The Hague). The goal is to better distribute traffic to and from Den Haag, and increase capacity on the Den Haag bypass (A4).

The A4 will be widened with a local-express setup between N14 and Beatrixlaan, a distance of 3.5 kilometers. The exact design is not known yet, adding a local-express setup along A4 may widen this motorway to as much as 20 lanes, because there are currently already 16 lanes. In addition, A4 will be widened further south to the Den Hoorn exit. A short section of A13 will be widened to 10 lanes. (€ 319 million)

Several A4 interchanges will be expanded in capacity.

Two intersections along N14 will be grade-separated (€ 63 million)

N211 will be widened to 2x3 lanes, and grade-separated. (€ 37 million)
N211 will be grade-separated along the west side of Den Haag until the Erasmusweg. (€ 58 million)
Two grade-separated interchanges will be constructed along the Beatrixlaan in Den Haag. (€ 90 million)

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/JBdFD.png[IMG]
Wow nice.

I wish they would grade separate more roads in the Rotterdam area.

For example, the whole Maasboulevard from the A16 to the Havenziekenhuis can easily be grade separated, just 3 Viaducts needed ( or 2, if you combine the Honingerdijk and Burgemeester Oudlaan into 1 exit).
The N210 should be grade separated too up to Capelseplein, just 2 viaducts needed.
The N471 should be grade separated imho, I also think the one who designed the odd roundabout intersection with the N209 is an idiot, what's the point of a roundabout if you place traffic lights on them ?
S114 (A20 exit) to Marconiplein should be grade separated too imho, just 1 intersection to eliminate.
Finally, the N492 (Groene Kruisweg) REALLY needs grade separation.

Also nice about the N211, wish they would have 2x3 lane roads in Rotterdam for the main roads, unfortunately 2x1/1x2 and 2x2 is the standard .

Small costs too in these projects , far better investment than the expensive tunnels to protect the cows and their grassland...

Last edited by snowdog; May 15th, 2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old May 15th, 2012, 10:34 PM   #7159
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N33 Assen - Zuidbroek widening 2x2

Minister Schultz will sign the record of decision tomorrow to duplicate the existing two-lane expressway N33 to four lanes between Assen and Zuidbroek. (35 kilometers). This will link the A28 and A7 motorways by a four-lane expressway. Space has been reserved for a second carriageway. The most interesting works are the A28 interchange near Assen, a slight realignment near Veendam and a new cloverturbine interchange with A7 near Zuidbroek. The rest is a simple duplication of the existing roadway.

1. Assen-Zuid interchange. A long flyover will connect N33 to A28-south. (current configuration)

2. Zuidbroek interchange. A diamond will be replaced by a cloverturbine. (current configuration)
Old May 15th, 2012, 10:52 PM   #7160
snowdog
Speed freak

Nice improvement .

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands