daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 15th, 2012, 11:03 PM   #7161
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19390

N11 Leiden

It's really a good news day today. The provincial government of Zuid-Holland approved a plan to construct a 4-lane expressway N11 along the south side of the city of Leiden. This will connect A4 and A44 motorways. The project consists of a 4.4 kilometer new alignment south of Leiden, partially through the town of Voorschoten, and an upgrade of the N206 west of Leiden. The project has a staggering budget of € 931 million.

Construction will begin in 2014.

This is the project with the longest history in the Netherlands. An initial record of decision to construct A11 near Leiden was already taken in 1956, but never executed. It even outruns the A4 Delft - Schiedam in that perspective.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2012, 11:40 PM   #7162
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

That is good news. I unexpectedly had to go to Leiderdorp, right off the A4 last December, when I was already on the A44. Took me ages to get through Leiden, and my satnav took me right through the centre...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 10:28 AM   #7163
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
€ 931 million
How can that be possible? Running 100% underground?

(there will at least be a landtunnel, I suppose?)

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 10:41 AM   #7164
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There will be a 950 meter long tunnel through Voorschoten to reduce impact on that town. These are the blue and pale yellow sections on the map below. The original plan called for a short tunnel, but they've extended it to 950 meters. Also note the full motorway interchanges.

Old May 16th, 2012, 03:33 PM   #7165
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Voorschoten: „We gaan alles in het werk stellen om de Rijnlandroute in Voorschoten niet te gaan horen, zien of ruiken.”

Or roughly translated:
"We shall do anything to make sure we can't hear, see or smell, the Rijnlandroute (N11) in Voorschoten''.

So erm, ban the inhabitants of Voorschoten from using the N11 ?
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 03:33 PM   #7166
sotonsi

Given that leads inescapably to a motorway from both ends (which are both motorways), this would surely make no sense as anything other than motorway A11?
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 03:45 PM   #7167
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I wonder what road number they would give to this route. Because it functions as a motorway, it should have A-status, but that is doubtful. I even think the national government should build the A4-A44 link, but it's all a provincial job, which means a 3-digit road number, most likely N206.
Old May 16th, 2012, 03:45 PM   #7168
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 520

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
Voorschoten: „We gaan alles in het werk stellen om de Rijnlandroute in Voorschoten niet te gaan horen, zien of ruiken.”

Or roughly translated:
"We shall do anything to make sure we can't hear, see or smell, the Rijnlandroute (N11) in Voorschoten''.

So erm, ban the inhabitants of Voorschoten from using the N11 ?
Yeeeeah... meanwhile they have army airport just nearby which is more loud then road...

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 03:47 PM   #7169
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's amazing what double-layer porous asphalt can achieve in terms of noise reduction. Monday I was walking across an overpass across the recently widened A12 motorway. You didn't really hear the motorway until you were right on top of it, it's amazing. I had a similar encounter on the 10-lane A2 near Abcoude, it's surprisingly silent, even to the point where you wonder if noise barriers are even necessary at all.
Old May 16th, 2012, 04:23 PM   #7170
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6160

They're not particularly necessary no. If you then put the motorway in a shallow ditch flanked by small earthen levees, you also eliminate the need for very tall bridges across the motorway and you take the whole thing out of sight as well. It is at that point that ecomentalists need to stfu, frankly.

Also, the Randstad is unprepared for flooding. The whole region relies on a single outer levee (dijkring 14) with virtually no inner levees. One burst and the whole area floods. Motorways flanked by levees are an excellent way to reduce this risk. If you construct these things under the banner of flood protection, you can usually get things done quicker in this country as well.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 05:39 PM   #7171
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by mappero View Post
Yeeeeah... meanwhile they have army airport just nearby which is more loud then road...
Closed Army Airport.....
Old May 16th, 2012, 05:59 PM   #7172
Koesj
Historian

Likes (Received): 72

More like closed Naval Air Station.
Koesj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #7173
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yep Valkenburg Naval Air Base, it closed in 2006 and they plan to construct thousands of houses there, emphasizing the need for a decent east-west connection in this area.
Old May 16th, 2012, 06:13 PM   #7174
Koesj
Historian

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
Given that leads inescapably to a motorway from both ends (which are both motorways), this would surely make no sense as anything other than motorway A11?
Those interchanges, while free-flowing, will definitely not be up to full motorway standards and I guess the road itself will be designed without hard shoulders and a Vmax of only 80kmh.
Koesj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #7175
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A2 Maastricht

Some fresh aerial photos of the construction of the double-deck, 4-tube, 8-lane motorway tunnel in the southern city of Maastricht.

From south to north

Old May 16th, 2012, 07:38 PM   #7176
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Tilburg Ring Road

The N260 provincial highway opened today around the city of Tilburg, completing the ring road.

The new N260 is a 2x2 divided highway with traffic lights. The first parts opened in 2005, and is now completed with a bridge across the Wilhelmina Canal. Tilburg has seen major expansion in recent years, and is currently the sixth largest city of the Netherlands with 206.000 inhabitants.

The municipal executive of transportation of Tilburg said the ring road should become a motorway in the future, but it appears to be taken with a grain of salt, as there are no such plans currently.

The eastern part of the Tilburg ring road, the N261 provincial highway, is currently being doubled to four lanes as well, and should be completed in 2013. Only the southern ring road, part of the A58 and A65 actually have motorway status.

Old May 16th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #7177
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Looking at Google aerial images, that N33 section could easily, IMHO, become a full motorway ('A-route'), too.

Netherlands are playing an amazing game of 'catch up' on their decades of anti-car 'no build' attitude.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 09:41 PM   #7178
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

There will be budget cuts in The Netherlands on practically every front, also infrastructure:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telegraaf (Dutch news site)
A total of 400 million of budget cuts on the construction of roads and waterways.
I wonder what kind of effect this will have on actual construction: are they going to spend less on each project or will they cancel projects and carry out the other projects as originally planned?
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 09:48 PM   #7179
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's just conjecture at this point. € 400 million is about 10% of the combined annual road and waterworks budget, but it's possible that € 400 million could be over several years. It's unlikely they cancel project currently under construction. I suspect it's mainly operational expenses, they've spent a lot of money in recent years on VMS's and other electronics. It's also possible they cut back some shipping projects.

They could've saved several hundreds of millions by not constructing unnecessary land tunnels, like the A9 tunnel in Amstelveen or the stupid Zuidas Tunnel project. These tunnels are not necessary at all, it's perfectly possible to expand roadways in the open air and conform to noise and air quality limits.
Old May 16th, 2012, 10:02 PM   #7180
the_Aristocrat

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_Aristocrat View Post
A video I recently made of driving on the A20 towards Rotterdam. At 03m40 you will see an Opel Corsa that I pass, and if you listen closely you can hear it smashing into the traffic jam at 04m00. Wondered why he pulled up next to me when after I passed him, but did not slow down / see the traffic jam.

Curious thing, I was the 2nd accident that happened right next to me that week.

And here is part 2, it starts of the same (on the A20) but instead of driving to Rotterdam Noord, I change onto the A16 and then drive along the Maasboulevard into Rotterdam.
the_Aristocrat no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands