daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 30th, 2012, 12:40 AM   #7301
Batavier
"Covfefe" ??? Enjoy!

Likes (Received): 839

where else would that tunnel lead to? It looks like the end of an island is reached with the E10 in Norway
Batavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 30th, 2012, 12:03 PM   #7302
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

A24 Blankenburg Tunnel, Rotterdam

The A24 Blankenburg Tunnel near Rotterdam has been declared controversial by the Dutch parliament. The Party for Freedom changed its mind about the project, even though they used to be a proponent of the new link. This means there cannot be any further progress until at least after the next elections. This does not necessarily mean it will be delayed, depending on the outcome of the next elections.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 12:27 PM   #7303
ChrisZwolle
Road user

speed limit raise A10 & A12

The Ministry of Infrastructure and Environment has unveiled plans to raise the speed limit on three urban motorways by July 2nd, 2012.

* A10-West Amsterdam: raise speed limit from 80 to 100 km/h between 0600 and 1900 hrs.
* A12 Den Haag: raise the outbound speed limit from 80 to 100 km/h.
* A13 Overschie (Rotterdam): raise the speed limit from 80 to 100 km/h.

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; May 30th, 2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old May 30th, 2012, 02:15 PM   #7304
Godius
Nitimur in vetitum

Likes (Received): 4069

Finally...
Godius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 02:58 PM   #7305
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The A24 Blankenburg Tunnel near Rotterdam has been declared controversial by the Dutch parliament. The Party for Freedom changed its mind about the project, even though they used to be a proponent of the new link. This means there cannot be any further progress until at least after the next elections. This does not necessarily mean it will be delayed, depending on the outcome of the next elections.
Idiots, proof that Wilders doesn't care at all about the hard working Dutch drivers, otherwise he wouldn't block this much needed tunnel.

Quote:
The Ministry of Infrastructure and Environment has unveiled plans to raise the speed limit on two urban motorways by July 2nd, 2012.

* A10-West Amsterdam: raise speed limit from 80 to 100 km/h between 0600 and 1900 hrs.
* A12 Den Haag: raise the outbound speed limit from 80 to 100 km/h.
* A13 Overschie (Rotterdam): raise the speed limit from 80 to 100 km/h.
Good, but, wouldn't 1900-0600 be a more logical time to go faster than 0600-1900 ?
Ah well, I'm already overjoyed the A13 will be 100km/h instead of that 80 crap...
Just the A20 now in direction east .
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 06:53 PM   #7306
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 520

Quote:
Belgium has a very narrow strip of coast to serve its 11 million inhabitants. The Netherlands has a far longer coastline with beaches, but also serves a large population and is relatively poorly accessible. Especially the Haarlem area has always been problematic, due to the lack of decent north-south and east-west routes through the city.

It's just too bad the Frisian / Groningen coast is swampy instead of beachy. There's hardly any quiet beaches on warm days in the Netherlands. Especially in the coming months when hundreds of thousands of Germans populate Zeeland (and pour much-needed euros in the local economy). Zeeland beaches generally have much better access, especially those near the N57 highway (the dams).
Yeaaa, I remember when I was living in Groningen... Going to the sand beach it was always long journey. The nearest one was in Den Helder or on East Frisian islands reachable by ferry... And of course two option to choose. Traffic jams or paying for ferry... That won't work for longer period if you live there...

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #7307
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

There are some lovely beaches on the Frisian lakes, notably the ones on the IJselmeer. (Workum, Makkum, Hindeloopen) and they are all within easy reach.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #7308
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
There are some lovely beaches on the Frisian lakes, notably the ones on the IJselmeer. (Workum, Makkum, Hindeloopen) and they are all within easy reach.
Yeah, and in Stavoren and nearby Oudermindum... but those are tiny or city beaches. It is nice though going on bike around the lakes and so. Also quite relaxed. Never had a problem with traffic jam there . But yeah, thats not the ocean and the water is not salty and the waves are not there .
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2012, 07:44 PM   #7309
julesstoop

Likes (Received): 80

The stretch of beach starting about 1-2 km's north of Noordwijk is always surprisingly quiet. If you get to Noordwijk and rent a bike it's pretty easy to get to.
Old May 30th, 2012, 07:52 PM   #7310
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by julesstoop
The stretch of beach starting about 1-2 km's north of Noordwijk is always surprisingly quiet. If you get to Noordwijk and rent a bike it's pretty easy to get to.
Langervelderslag.
Old May 30th, 2012, 10:03 PM   #7311
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

I guess there is a quite continuous beach from Katwijk all the way to the IJ estuary?

They should develop more that stretch of coast... not entirely, but couple access roads and beach infrastructure.
Old May 30th, 2012, 11:25 PM   #7312
Road_UK
BANNED

Problem is, that the area between Noordwijk and Haarlem is a nature protection area, as well as a water protection area.
Old May 31st, 2012, 10:20 AM   #7313
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Another downgraded road, the N262 divided highway south of Roosendaal was narrowed from 2x2 to 1x2 lanes. Some called the new road layout below design standards, inviting head-on accidents due to the lack of correction space.

before:

after:
Old May 31st, 2012, 10:52 AM   #7314
bogdymol
bogdymod

Yeah, the new road is a lot safer now!
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 11:26 AM   #7315
ChrisZwolle
Road user

An old photo of the William's Bridge in Rotterdam. This bridge, constructed in 1878, was one of the first major river crossings by road in the Netherlands. Most major river crossings in the 1800's were railroad bridges. The large bridge on the right is the old William's Rail Bridge.

The old road bridge was originally an all-purpose bridge, and wasn't used by automobiles until the invention of them. Non-motorized traffic was directed to the outside spans in the 1920's due to increased traffic. It used to be the only fixed road link in Rotterdam until the Maas Tunnel opened in 1942. It was later reconstructed to three lanes, with the center lane being a reversible lane. This concept is still in use in nearby Spijkenisse.

Both bridges are now gone. The road bridge was replaced in 1981 with the New William's Bridge and the railroad bridge was replaced by a tunnel in 1993. This significantly improved both rail and water traffic.

Photo: Beeldbank RWS
Old May 31st, 2012, 12:39 PM   #7316
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Why 3 lanes? Was the central one used for overtaking in both directions, like in some half-built Italian autostrade back in the 50s?
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 12:43 PM   #7317
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It was originally just a 9 - 10 meter wide roadway, as cars did not exist at that time. I assume it was later divided into two wide lanes, and then reconstructed to 1x3 lanes, with the center lane being reversible (note the signalling signs above the roadway). I assume there were two northbound lanes in the morning and two southbound lanes in the afternoon.

This bridge was never part of a motorway or trunk road, but did carry all through traffic until 1942.
Old May 31st, 2012, 02:50 PM   #7318
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
It was originally just a 9 - 10 meter wide roadway, as cars did not exist at that time. I assume it was later divided into two wide lanes, and then reconstructed to 1x3 lanes, with the center lane being reversible (note the signalling signs above the roadway). I assume there were two northbound lanes in the morning and two southbound lanes in the afternoon.

This bridge was never part of a motorway or trunk road, but did carry all through traffic until 1942.
I didn't noticed the overhead signs. I didn't know that the concept of reversible lane with lights (green arrow and red cross) existed back in the 40s.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 05:22 PM   #7319
ChrisZwolle
Road user

History

Today it's exactly 40 years ago the largest motorway opening in the Dutch history occurred. The A1 motorway was opened from Terschuur to Markelo, a distance of 67 kilometers. It included the passage through the Veluwe area, the bypasses of Apeldoorn and Deventer, a large bridge across the IJssel River and at the same time a portion of A50 around Apeldoorn opened as well, bringing the total opened mileage that day to 80 kilometers. Large motorway openings were uncommon in the Netherlands, and most motorway openings in Dutch history were less than 10 kilometers long.

A1 under construction across the Veluwe:

Photo: Beeldbank RWS
Old May 31st, 2012, 08:15 PM   #7320
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

1942? Was much highway construction going on in Europe during the war?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands