daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 31st, 2012, 08:27 PM   #7321
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
1942? Was much highway construction going on in Europe during the war?
40 years ago was 1972.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 31st, 2012, 08:28 PM   #7322
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

There was quite a bit of highway construction in the Netherlands and Germany between 1940 and 1942. Construction ceased mostly in 1943. The only other 1940 - 1945 motorway openings in war-torn Europe I know of was a portion of French A13 in Paris (1941) and Belgian E40 near Aalter (1940, may have been before the war). The Netherlands did not open much in the 1940's, but construction of A12 between Utrecht and Arnhem was continued by the Germans, as it was considered "Kriegswichtig" (i.e. important for the war).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 08:30 PM   #7323
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
40 years ago was 1972.

Mike
He was referring to the Williams Bridge (Willemsbrug) in Rotterdam.
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 09:37 PM   #7324
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Exactly.

Bedankt.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2012, 11:07 PM   #7325
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

In Italy highways construction stopped in 1935 because of the bad economical crisis related to the international sanctions after Ethiopia invasion. We didn't build nothing new in the following 20 years.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 10:17 AM   #7326
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Traffic congestion at a 12-year low

According to a new Rijkswaterstaat publication, traffic congestion at the Dutch motorways are currently at a 12-year low, while traffic volumes are at an all-time high, being approximately 16% higher than in 2000.

Traffic congestion peaked in 2007, with 15.5 million kilometer-minutes of traffic congestion. It's currently at 9.8 million kilometer-minutes, below the 10 million of the year 2000, and is still decreasing.

The construction of new lanes and motorway segments are paying off. Before 2008, annual increases of 10% or more traffic congestion were common, but traffic congestion has been decreased significantly, especially since 2010. The worst traffic congestion spot is currently the southbound A50 near the Ewijk motorway interchange, due to construction. Capacity will be doubled at this location in 2014.

A way to indicate traffic congestion is the Travel Time Index (TTI). A TTI of 1.0 indicates zero delay, while a TTI of 1.5 indicates it takes 50% more time to travel a certain road. The TTI was reduced from 1.9 to 1.0 along southbound A4 near Leiden. Another significant reduction was along northbound A2 near Utrecht from 1.7 to 1.1.

5.1% of all traffic congestion is caused by roadworks, well below the limit of 10% and significantly below that of neighboring countries (especially Germany).
Old June 1st, 2012, 10:59 AM   #7327
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 806

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
According to a new Rijkswaterstaat publication, traffic congestion at the Dutch motorways are currently at a 12-year low, while traffic volumes are at an all-time high, being approximately 16% higher than in 2000.

Traffic congestion peaked in 2007, with 15.5 million kilometer-minutes of traffic congestion. It's currently at 9.8 million kilometer-minutes, below the 10 million of the year 2000, and is still decreasing.

The construction of new lanes and motorway segments are paying off. Before 2008, annual increases of 10% or more traffic congestion were common, but traffic congestion has been decreased significantly, especially since 2010. The worst traffic congestion spot is currently the southbound A50 near the Ewijk motorway interchange, due to construction. Capacity will be doubled at this location in 2014.

A way to indicate traffic congestion is the Travel Time Index (TTI). A TTI of 1.0 indicates zero delay, while a TTI of 1.5 indicates it takes 50% more time to travel a certain road. The TTI was reduced from 1.9 to 1.0 along southbound A4 near Leiden. Another significant reduction was along northbound A2 near Utrecht from 1.7 to 1.1.

5.1% of all traffic congestion is caused by roadworks, well below the limit of 10% and significantly below that of neighboring countries (especially Germany).
I hope this shuts up the people that say building new roads doesn't solve anything once and for all
Old June 1st, 2012, 11:03 AM   #7328
Godius
Nitimur in vetitum

Likes (Received): 4069

Thanks to Balkenende IV and their 'Crisis- en Herstelwet'.
Godius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 11:21 AM   #7329
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

No, the "crisis/ en herstelwet" has nothing to do with it. You'd better thank Camiel Eurlings for streamlining procedures. And perhaps also even Milieudefensie - if it wasn't them who did torpedo the original decision on the A4 near Leiden in 2007, there wouldn't have been massive public and political support for changing the procedures in a way all those anti-road organisations now have far less possibilities to obstruct. So it was a real Phyrrus-victory for the environmentalists in 2007. Times have changed - but regrettably not everywhere in the world. In a lot of retard countries they still think "very political correct", i.e. anti-roads...

Last edited by aswnl; June 1st, 2012 at 11:34 AM.
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 12:22 PM   #7330
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A27 Utrecht widening

The sixth northbound lane along A27 will open to traffic today. The additional lane starts from the A12 motorway at the Lunetten Motorway Interchange, and runs northbound as a third auxiliary lane along the east side of Utrecht, then flows into the widened A28 motorway at the Rijnsweerd Motorway Interchange. (map)

This means the A27 currently has a cross-section of 4+6 lanes. It is meant to decongest the eastbound A12 motorway in particular, as well as improving traffic flow along northbound A27, and towards the eastbound A28.

The A27 is now part of a limited group of motorway segments where there are six undivided lanes on one carriageway.

Here's a photo I took when the 5th and 6th lanes were under construction
image hosted on flickr

A27 Amelisweerd-9 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
Old June 1st, 2012, 01:01 PM   #7331
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post
I hope this shuts up the people that say building new roads doesn't solve anything once and for all
No... Sadly not... Check out the responses...
Old June 1st, 2012, 01:03 PM   #7332
ChrisZwolle
Road user

People who comment on news paper sites are almost stupid by default.
Old June 1st, 2012, 01:08 PM   #7333
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

I comment on them too
Old June 1st, 2012, 01:10 PM   #7334
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I rest my case

Anyway, the newspaper says "traffic remained the same". People comment: "that's because traffic decreased". They simply don't read what's written.
Old June 1st, 2012, 01:14 PM   #7335
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

I'll do it to myself before Bogdymol does it to me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle
Anyway, the newspaper says "traffic remained the same". People comment: "that's because traffic decreased". They simply don't read what's written.
That's why I commented (But my response hasn't been approved yet...)
Old June 1st, 2012, 01:22 PM   #7336
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
I'll do it to myself before Bogdymol does it to me:

[IMG]http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/kelso-burn.jpg[/ IMG]
What about me?
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2012, 01:29 PM   #7337
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
I actually like that song

If you click this, you're...
Old June 1st, 2012, 01:32 PM   #7338
lafreak84
Free Palestine

Likes (Received): 535

What happens in 50 years? You're going to widen roads to 2x20+8 just to prove your point that widening solves congestion problems?
Old June 1st, 2012, 02:10 PM   #7339
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Traffic growth is not infinite, as some anti-road people try to suggest. There is and will be no need for 40-lane motorways as there will be no traffic volumes of 1 million vehicles per day on motorways.
Old June 1st, 2012, 03:59 PM   #7340
lafreak84
Free Palestine

Likes (Received): 535

You are right, because at that point the cars will become obsolete. You can widen roads to a certain point, once the critical point is reached the cost of owning a car will be accessible only to the riches or private transportation will be banned all together and the whole transportation system will have to be re-developed. You can either invest in the future or keep throwing money down the well. Whichever works for you.

You keep widening roads in the NL but should an accident occur, half of the country gets stuck in a traffic jam. Looks like the roads aren't wide enough after all.

For the reference, I am a huge fan of road infrastructure and driving.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands