daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 2nd, 2012, 10:54 AM   #7581
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

A2 Utrecht - Amsterdam

A video of the 2x5 A2:

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2012, 06:14 PM   #7582
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The speed limit was raised today on the following sections, all from 80 to 100 km/h;

* A10 West Amsterdam both directions
* A12 Den Haag outbound
* A13 near Overschie both directions
Thank god !

You can fall asleep at 80km/h on a motorway!
Only the A20 remaining but meh, we're a step closer a sanity!

Are there any plans for the A1, near congestion #2 & 4 ? I remember driving there ages ago, a narrow 2x2 motorway that should have been 2x4 ( or at least 2x3) ages ago...

ps. your map has motorways on that are not built/opened yet . ( A5 Westrandweg and A4 midden Delfsland and A4 Dinteloord from a quick look).

Last edited by snowdog; July 2nd, 2012 at 06:21 PM.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 06:23 PM   #7583
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

It's only on small sections. If you can't stay awake doing 80 for a few minutes, you shouldn't be driving in the first place.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 06:26 PM   #7584
snowdog
Speed freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
It's only on small sections. If you can't stay awake doing 80 for a few minutes, you shouldn't be driving in the first place.
Small sections adding loads of travel time at night.

Hoogvliet>Nieuwerkerk a/d IJssel is faster over the A15&A16 than the A4&A20 despite that (A15&A16) being the longer route, because of the 80km/h there & average speed cameras.

I can stay awake, but it's boring as **** to drive at that speed on such a road, 80km/h is a speed for nice twisty B roads like you have so much of in the UK... You basically turn to autopilot mode at such low speeds rather that paying proper attention to everything in you're driving down an empty 2x3 lane motorway at 80 km/h.

And again, I know the daytime situation, but I mainly drive over it between 11pm and 5am and 80km/h is really an insult to anyone driving there at those times...

Those ''small sections'' you speak are often half my commute if I need to be somewhere like in Schiedam or Delft.

Last edited by snowdog; July 2nd, 2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 06:48 PM   #7585
Road_UK
BANNED

Your beloved Germany has many 80 kph sections. Reasons vary from noise reduction to bad road surface. Noise reduction limit is applied especially between 23:00 and 05:00, although some of them are 24/7.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 06:54 PM   #7586
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

A71 in Thüringer Wald has an 18-kilometer section where the speed limit is 80 km/h, controlled with many speed cameras. The speed limit on urban Japanese expressways is even 60 km/h, so it could be worse.

However, 80 km/h demonstrably deteriorates the traffic flow, so we should get rid of them where possible.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 06:54 PM   #7587
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Quote:
Your beloved Germany has many 80 kph sections. Reasons vary from noise reduction to bad road surface. Noise reduction limit is applied especially between 23:00 and 05:00, although some of them are 24/7.

Beginning of A95 in Munich. Ridiculous.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 06:55 PM   #7588
snowdog
Speed freak

Quote:
Not the sections I drive on. And even if you are caught driving faster, the fines are worth it.

And you damn well know why I like Germany, you can catch up the lost time by doing 230 km/h legally on other sections! I can legally use my car what it's able to do, rather that using only half its potential.

Plus I am a different commuter in Germany as in Holland, in Holland most of my private trips are up to 20km ( an many of em a day, customer to customer IT support and just driving around with mates at night or to town, and I also work as a van driver for PostNL( TNT) which is city traffic only really). Entirely different commute.

In Germany I cross the whole country in a couple of hours in the middle of the night.

Last edited by snowdog; July 2nd, 2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 06:56 PM   #7589
Road_UK
BANNED

Several sections at Oldenburg, Hamburg, Munich, Mannheim...
Old July 2nd, 2012, 06:59 PM   #7590
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog

Not the sections I drive on. And even if you are caught driving faster, the fines are worth it.
Even if they prosecute and take your license off you?
Old July 2nd, 2012, 07:02 PM   #7591
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog

And you damn well know why6 I like Germany, you can catch up the lost time by doing 230 km/h legally on other sections!

Plus I am a different commuter in Germany as in Holland, in Holland most of my trips are up to 20km ( an many of em a day, I work as a van driver for PostNL( TNT)). In Germany I cross the whole country in a couple of hours.
Bullshit. It takes me 9 hours to drive from Munich to Hamburg. But now you told me you are a local white van man I can understand more why you are so frustrated. Just don't kill anybody.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 07:07 PM   #7592
snowdog
Speed freak

Quote:
Several sections at Oldenburg, Hamburg, Munich, Mannheim...
I have never been anywhere near there, as per the other thread, I only really drove on the A3 ( Dutch Border to the A2), the A2 over it's whole length, the A10 A11 and A12, and the A30. Been on the A31 once or twice, but that's as far as I've been in Germany.

But, as far as I'm concerned 80km/h is retarded for a motorway, if that is in Holland, DE or Japan, if traffic doesn't allow faster then let traffic decide but otherwise ridiculous limit.
Quote:
Even if they prosecute and take your license off you?
For 10-20 km/h to fast ? Sure they will...
Last time I had one from Germany they wanted 10 euros for 10 to fast, and I ignored it, they threatened twice more, after that I haven't heard of them since, it's been 2 years...

Quote:
It takes me 9 hours to drive from Munich to Hamburg.
And me 4 hours and 30 minutes Swiecko > Hengelo. That's taking a calm 160 km/h pace on cruise control most of the way. Slowing down for some speed limits, and driving faster sometimes to make up for the lost time in them. And a fuel stop of 10-15 mins.

And white van man, yeah I guess, except mine are Orange. But I barely ever get on motorways for the pst, I mainly get on motorways for my other work...
A ''snelweg'' should be as it's name says, SNEL (fast), not the same as some 1x2 lane rural road.

Last edited by snowdog; July 2nd, 2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 07:17 PM   #7593
Road_UK
BANNED

A normal person would do Hengelo to Berlin in 4h30 mins at 160 kph where permitted (a lot of A2 130 only). I refuse to take you seriously any longer, your arguments are balony as Judge Judy would say... You are the Weakest Link. Goodbye...
Old July 2nd, 2012, 07:50 PM   #7594
Maastricht

Likes (Received): 10

How Original
Maastricht no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 09:27 PM   #7595
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
The speed limit was raised today on the following sections, all from 80 to 100 km/h;

* A10 West Amsterdam both directions
* A12 Den Haag outbound
* A13 near Overschie both directions
We desperately need policies like this in Spain, but we are going the other way round...
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 10:24 PM   #7596
sotonsteve

Likes (Received): 3

Please remind me of the Netherlands' annual motorway budget?
sotonsteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 10:33 PM   #7597
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme

We desperately need policies like this in Spain, but we are going the other way round...
I know. Barcelona is 80 and all camera'd up. But the Spanish authorities need the revenues from speeders...
Old July 2nd, 2012, 10:44 PM   #7598
Koesj
Historian

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsteve View Post
Please remind me of the Netherlands' annual motorway budget?
If its only current mainline road projects you're after then we're spending about €1,5b out on expansions or newly built roads in 2012, excluding maintenance etc.

Current projects (finished in 2010 or afterwards) are worth around 9,1b and there's another 9+ billion in the pipeline.

These are all national government figures from the 'infrastructural fund' budget for 2012 and I'd be surprised if all of the cross-departmental and intragovernmental pay-outs are included within.
Koesj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2012, 12:03 AM   #7599
luchtkasteel
Posthumanproject

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
A video of the 2x5 A2:

Measuring 32 km, it's probably one of the longest 10+lane stretches of Europe, isn't it?!
luchtkasteel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2012, 10:02 AM   #7600
Advancer

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
I know. Barcelona is 80 and all camera'd up. But the Spanish authorities need the revenues from speeders...
Needed too, I've been twice on the ring of barcelona and twice somebody almost crashed against my car because they weren't looking if someone was still driving next to them.

Beside the part of the a13 wich was the first 80km/h zone is a place where it worked for the airquality although I don't think it did much because of the a20 and polution from the harbor. So it was a drop of a procent or so. still think that they should made that part a toll road when the a4MD and the a13-a16 are finished.
Instead of the a13-a16, but that probally wont make enough money for the gouverment to go and build the a13-a16.
Advancer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands