daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 4th, 2012, 05:00 PM   #7621
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Not a couple of times, I'm there all the time, traveling between Calais and Amsterdam, Friesland, northern Germany or Scandinavia. Congestions I get in other places en route, but less likely on the A58.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 4th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #7622
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21240

A58 is very busy between Tilburg and St. Annenbosch.

The slightest disruption will slow down traffic a lot, or cause jams.

Moreover, it is a route with a lot of truck traffic.

If I need to drive up north, I'll rather take my chances on N261+A59 outside peak times (because interchange Hooipolder sucks big time as well on peak).

Tilburg is actually surrounded by underdesign/undercapacity road links: A65 is incomplete towards 's-Hertogenbosch, N261 has 4 traffic lights 'till A59, and A65 is heavily trafficked.

Breda, 's-Hertobenbosch, Endinhoven and Bergen op Zoom, on the contrary, all have great roads surrounding them (u/c in the later case).
Old July 4th, 2012, 07:47 PM   #7623
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godius

LOL
Old July 4th, 2012, 08:38 PM   #7624
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Why? I've hardly ever got stuck in traffic there, apart from minimum delays on the intersection onto the A16 towards Antwerp.
The traffic is appalling there anywhere between 8am-7pm, random jams very often.
The whole area is a chaos if an accident happens, I was stuck for 40 minutes there because they had to close 1 lane for an accident. And in the other direction there was at least a 10 km jam too iirc despite nothing happened there, along with the A27 nearby which became a chaos too.

There needs to be FAR more redundancy against incidents so more capacity, 80.000 vehicles per day is calling for an upgrade... Now if someone farts you have a traffic jam there.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #7625
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
The whole area is a chaos if an accident happens, I was stuck for 40 minutes there because they had to close 1 lane for an accident. And in the other direction there was at least a 10 km jam too iirc despite nothing happened there, along with the A27 nearby which became a chaos too.
Same thing near us. A truck broke down near Roosendaal, at interchange 'De Stok' a few days ago: 1 lane was closed, the traffic jam started at interchange 'Markiezaat': 18 km...
Ad today there was an accident just east of Bergen Op Zoom 1 lane was closed. The traffic jam started in Belgium: 20 km

PS: you have a dashcam?
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2012, 09:17 PM   #7626
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
Same thing near us. A truck broke down near Roosendaal, at interchange 'De Stok' a few days ago: 1 lane was closed, the traffic jam started at interchange 'Markiezaat': 18 km...
Ad today there was an accident just east of Bergen Op Zoom 1 lane was closed. The traffic jam started in Belgium: 20 km

PS: you have a dashcam?
I occasionally record things with my telephone. Using Dailyroads Voyager as that one links video with GPS data . Samsung Galaxy s2...

That day I didn't have a car holder with me and just jammed my phone between the dashboard and windscreen, hence it falling over near the end .

I also have a mini ''keychain'' camera, them 6 euro ebay ones, I used to record with that occasionally but I want GPS data too hence using the phone.

Last edited by snowdog; July 4th, 2012 at 09:23 PM.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2012, 09:29 PM   #7627
Road_UK
BANNED

Well duh, if lanes are blocked due to an accident, in the whole area you get irregularities anywhere. Tell me something else that is new, they might as well build a motorway in the jungle. Welcome to Concrete City...
Old July 4th, 2012, 09:36 PM   #7628
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Excuse me for finding it unacceptable that when 1 lane is losed it immediately causes 20 kms of traffic jam (not taking in account the traffic jam on the A4 from Steenbergen (3 kms) and the A58 from Vlissingen (4 km) and numerous local roads)

Of course it's logic that when there's a lane closed on a highway, a traffic jam formes. But it's the size of that traffic jam I'm talking about:

For example: today on the A2 near Breukelen there were animals on the road: there was 1 lane closed but only 3 kms of traffic jam. Resason? The widening to 2x5 lanes.
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2012, 10:24 PM   #7629
sotonsteve

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
The traffic is appalling there anywhere between 8am-7pm, random jams very often.

There needs to be FAR more redundancy against incidents so more capacity, 80.000 vehicles per day is calling for an upgrade... Now if someone farts you have a traffic jam there.
Try the British M25. Without any accident, just volume of traffic, I have regularly heard delays of 2-3 hours on a Friday evening, with queues sometimes over 80km long. As I said, that's with no incidents. Normal evening traffic tends to be a traffic queue up to 30km long with a 30 minute to 1 hour delay. The alternative to these almost guaranteed queues are to drive through an urban area or to drive down the farm tracks we call our off-motorway road network.
sotonsteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 03:04 AM   #7630
Koesj
Historian

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsteve View Post
Try the British M25. Without any accident, just volume of traffic, I have regularly heard delays of 2-3 hours on a Friday evening, with queues sometimes over 80km long. As I said, that's with no incidents. Normal evening traffic tends to be a traffic queue up to 30km long with a 30 minute to 1 hour delay. The alternative to these almost guaranteed queues are to drive through an urban area or to drive down the farm tracks we call our off-motorway road network.
That's 'great' and all that but if you want super long queues and delays either pick one of the remaining non-upgraded motorways near our biggest cities or look back a couple of years where more than 10% of our national network was congested twice every day (this still happens but a little less frequently after all the widenings).

The thing with a lot of 'rural' motorways in general and the A58 in particular is that even while they only connect mid-sized cities both residential and commercial densities are very high and spread-out. That's how you get 2x2 unupgraded roads to clog up between what in UK terms might as well be Tyne- and Teesside.
Koesj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 08:27 PM   #7631
henry1394
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

http://acidcow.com/pics/34301-traffi...s-33-pics.html
henry1394 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 05:12 PM   #7632
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

A12 Utrecht - Veenendaal widening

The third lane of A12 opened to traffic today, westbound from Driebergen to Bunnik. The third lane in the eastbound direction will open Sunday. This is part of the larger upgrade of the A12 motorway to a six-lane facility between Utrecht and Arnhem.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2012, 11:42 PM   #7633
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21240

Around Rozenburg + Noordzeeweg

I got some pictures of Rozenburg's ring road and a small, 10km long road over a that take us the to the core of Rotterdam Port's shipping activity

Old-style road markings

IT's a looong straight road

Here, the Maeslantkeringhuis (a huge storm flood barrier). It translates as Maas (river) gate house.

At the very end of the road, there is a vantage point from where we can have an excellent view of the port and the road itself

Stena Line ships, they are ferries carrying vehicles and passengers to Norwich, UK

Unexpected bonus: the Berge Stahl was just docked on the other side! She is the heaviest bulk ship cargo in the World.

Rozenburg ring road, south section. It doesn't get more neat than this.

N15 bridge. A15 goes through a tunnel.

Wind breaking wall. Those HUGE concrete plates are designed to reduce wind impact on a nearby terminal that receives vehicle-carrying vessels, which are apparently very sensitive to wind when loading or unloading (don't know why/how).
Old July 7th, 2012, 11:59 PM   #7634
domtoren

Likes (Received): 1211

A2 near Utrecht

Newest part of the Leidsche Rijn tunnel
(South>>> North, recently opened)

From the North side of Utrecht, looking southbound

domtoren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2012, 11:03 AM   #7635
Ewoutje

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Wind breaking wall. Those HUGE concrete plates are designed to reduce wind impact on a nearby terminal that receives vehicle-carrying vessels, which are apparently very sensitive to wind when loading or unloading (don't know why/how).
The windbreakers are there to help ships navigate through the Callandbrug (road/railbridge).
Ewoutje no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 03:40 PM   #7636
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The busiest motorway in the tallest city.

photo by Joop van Houdt
Old July 9th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #7637
Godius
Nitimur in vetitum

Likes (Received): 4069

That's really a spectacular view to be honest.
Godius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 08:44 PM   #7638
Batavier
"Covfefe" ??? Enjoy!

Likes (Received): 839

I love the view when driving on that bridge from the south to the north, looking at the Rotterdam skyline. It might be one of the best places on the Rotterdam Ring road to look at it.
Batavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2012, 09:28 PM   #7639
Road_UK
BANNED

I do to. The only thing I don't like, is every time I'm near that bridge, they open that damn thing. As if they are waiting for me...
Old July 9th, 2012, 09:33 PM   #7640
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Really? It only opens once or twice a day on average. About 500 openings per year. 140.000 ships pass under it annually.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands