daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 24th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #7721
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21247

I don't think N57 problems are the dams, but the "dry land" sectors that have roundabouts and not modernized roadway such as Serooskerke - Neeltje Jans access ramp; and around Ostdorp.

A full-length Middelburg - Rozenburg grade-separeted link, even if 1+1, would be extremely welcomed.

Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2012, 09:46 PM   #7722
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

I'll go along with that. The roundabouts are very disturbing. But I fear the dams will always be 1+1, there just isn't any room for an autosnelweg there.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 02:26 AM   #7723
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
I'll go along with that. The roundabouts are very disturbing. But I fear the dams will always be 1+1, there just isn't any room for an autosnelweg there.
But the dams are not all 1+1:

- Haringvilet, 2 x 2 with highway standrads

- Brouwersdam, 1 x 1 with highway standards + very wide ROW already prepared for a second carriageway (it's just a matter or paving over, actually ,even sub-base and drainage are already meant for a 2+2 highway)

- Phijlerdam and Oosterschelderdam, 1 x 1 with highway standards [i]and a full roadway alreayd paved, but used as some freaking wide cycle lane over the dam instead of its original purpose (highway lanes) as designed in the Deltawerken plans!!! It is just a matter or reclaiming that unused lane for cars and building, on the cheap, an auxiliary typical cycle lane attached to the bridge deck, line they do in some highway bridges as here .
Old July 25th, 2012, 02:48 AM   #7724
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
No, highway standards require a (hard) shoulder
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #7725
Suburbanist
on the road

A2 motorway could have a top speed of 170 kph without problems

English version of some interesting Dutch news article

Quote:
The A2 motorway, at the centre of a campaign to have the speed limit increased from 100 kph to 130 kph, could take cars going much faster without breaking noise nuisance norms, according to research for Trouw.

Civil engineering group HaskoningDHV says the speed on the motorway from Amsterdam to Utrecht could be put up to 170 kph without causing problems because far fewer cars are using it than expected.

The motorway, which is five lanes wide in each direction in places, currently has a speed limit of 100 kph and the police are carrying out average speed checks on all drivers to make sure they keep to the law.

Fewer cars

According to HaskoningDHV, the road was developed to carry 230,000 cars a day by 2020. But only 136,000 vehicles are using it at the moment, meaning maximum noise levels are not being reached.

Transport minister Melanie Schultz van Haegen said last week she would introduce legislation to parliament approving a 130 kph speed limit, much to the fury of local councils. They say she is breaking commitments made when the motorway was widened and that the move is a cynical election ploy.
Old July 25th, 2012, 12:20 PM   #7726
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
But the dams are not all 1+1:

- Brouwersdam, 1 x 1 with highway standards + very wide ROW already prepared for a second carriageway (it's just a matter or paving over, actually ,even sub-base and drainage are already meant for a 2+2 highway)

- Phijlerdam and Oosterschelderdam, 1 x 1 with highway standards [i]and a full roadway alreayd paved, but used as some freaking wide cycle lane over the dam instead of its original purpose (highway lanes) as designed in the Deltawerken plans!!! It is just a matter or reclaiming that unused lane for cars and building, on the cheap, an auxiliary typical cycle lane attached to the bridge deck, line they do in some highway bridges as here .
There's no room for hard shoulders and the lanes are quite narrow. I suppose you could realistically shoot for some expressway standard, squeezing in a 2+2 with some relatively minor modifications, but it's probably still going to be expensive.

There would also have to be extra regulations about heavy traffic. It would be a very tempting route for seaport traffic (trucks) between Rotterdam and Gent/Zeebrugge, but large amounts of heavy traffic would damage crucial sea defenses that were never built to cope with anything like that. Realistically, the N57 expressway would have to be a toll road with heavy tolls on trucks to discourage them.

As for the bicycle lane on the Oosterscheldekering: I don't understand that one. I've cycled across it a few times and the winds are just incredible, even on sunny days. It's murder. And it's so wide as well, like it's a bicycle expressway for heavy traffic, but there's never anyone there. What the fvck?
Old July 28th, 2012, 04:21 PM   #7727
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19405

A12 Utrecht - Veenendaal widening

The last meter of the A12 widening was paved this week with porous asphalt. Testing of the dynamic lane opening follows in the next few weeks, after which the grand opening is about mid-August.

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 12:57 PM   #7728
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N659 Oester Dam

The Oesterdam, literally "Oyster Dam" protects the city of Bergen op Zoom from flooding. The dam was constructed after it became clear that the Oosterschelde estuary would not be permanently dammed. East of the dam is the Schelde-Rijn Canal, a major shipping canal for the port of Antwerpen to the hinterland.

Old July 30th, 2012, 01:50 PM   #7729
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A2 Eindhoven

Two nice aerials of a "braid", a grade-separated weaving facility. 15 lanes wide.

Old July 30th, 2012, 04:43 PM   #7730
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The Oesterdam, literally "Oyster Dam" protects the city of Bergen op Zoom from flooding. The dam was constructed after it became clear that the Oosterschelde estuary would not be permanently dammed. East of the dam is the Schelde-Rijn Canal, a major shipping canal for the port of Antwerpen to the hinterland.

Please note that in this case the Schelde-Rijnkanaal in on the left of the N659

From left to right on this pic it's Markiezaatsmeer (recreational) - small dam - Schelde-Rijn Canal - N659 - Oosterschelde
Old July 30th, 2012, 04:50 PM   #7731
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

And now ask any non-Dutch member to say these names out loud...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 04:53 PM   #7732
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

I tried. But luckily there's no one around listening

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Two nice aerials of a "braid", a grade-separated weaving facility. 15 lanes wide.
I love these things. Where's the place?

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #7733
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
And now ask any non-Dutch member to say these names out loud...
Non-Dutch, non-Belgian, non-South African, you mean. And there are quirky people like me who (a) like language and (b) decided to learn Dutch, just for fun, after finding myself unexpectedly in Ostend* and discovering that between speaking English and having studied German I understood a lot.

*Oostende, for Suburbanist

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #7734
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
I love these things. Where's the place?
Check the bold text above Chris' post

@Road_UK
Old July 31st, 2012, 09:37 PM   #7735
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A container ship became stuck underneath an A59 motorway bridge. It was traveling across the Wilhelmina Canal, but apparently did not have enough ballast to secure a decent clearance. The empty containers however, saved the captain and the bridge (of the ship) from being destroyed.

Old July 31st, 2012, 10:38 PM   #7736
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

What a moron. His stupid little cabin is even higher than the shipping containers. Was he reading a book instead of looking out the window?
Old July 31st, 2012, 10:44 PM   #7737
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Apparently the bridge (of the ship) can be moved up and down. Which either means his bridge was lifted or not. If it was not, he couldn't see over the containers. If it was up, he would've been dead if the containers did fit below the bridge
Old August 1st, 2012, 01:08 AM   #7738
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

I wonder, do the shippers use some autopilot in the canals? Like cameras+gps+ship ahead alarm system.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 04:52 PM   #7739
ChrisZwolle
Road user

oldtimers / air quality

A new report by the environmental planning bureau in the Netherlands shows that oldtimers add significantly to pollution in cities. While cars older than 25 years represent only 1% of the light motorized traffic, they account for 10% of PM10 and 20% of NOx emissions of road traffic. The particle emissions of diesel oldtimers is 80 times higher than that of modern diesel cars. Oldtimers on LPG and petrol even emit 40 - 100 times more NOx than modern petrol cars.

The import of oldtimers older than 1988 has increased in recent years, and it has been suggest many of those are not for oldtimer fans, but for everyday use.

Some parties have called for an oldtimer-ban in urban areas, larger than current "environmental zones" for trucks.
Old August 1st, 2012, 05:10 PM   #7740
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
Check the bold text above Chris' post

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
And there are quirky people like me who (a) like language and (b) decided to learn Dutch, just for fun, after ... discovering that between speaking English and having studied German I understood a lot.
Well, that's quite the same for me, but I still need to reach an adequate level with German before dedicating to other languages.
Being an Italian speker it's weird, but I find myself quite comfortable with the structure of Germanic languages.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands