daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 2nd, 2012, 11:38 AM   #7741
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19427

A4 Schiphol Tunnel

The Schiphol Tunnel is closed for the second time in two days because of an electrical failure. The power supply failed, which means the tunnel lighting, cameras and motorway traffic management does not work. The tunnel is closed in both directions, causing major traffic disruption southwest of Amsterdam, despite the low traffic volumes due to vacations. With 18 lanes, the Schiphol Tunnel is the widest in Europe.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2012, 12:36 AM   #7742
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17045

Wow that is a lot of waiting , how many times a day do these bridges open?

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 12:38 AM   #7743
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

You think that waiting time is long?
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 01:08 AM   #7744
woutero

Likes (Received): 41

This bridge is over the Canal through Walcheren, which is used for freight ships and recreational ships, so how often it opens depends on the season. It is normally opened every hour at x.40h during the day, and again at x.10h in case 5 or more yachts are waiting, except in certain 'block hours' where road traffic is prioritized.
woutero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 03:16 AM   #7745
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

I have more of a problem with major motorways being opened. Like the A6, A16, etc...

You should see the queues when they open the Van Brienenoord, 6 lanes of traffic jammed from both sides.

If it was up to me, motorways would never open for recreational shipping anywhere between 6am to 1am... Only 1-5am...
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 11:02 AM   #7746
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21257

the Nieuwe Maas is the busiest internal shipping canal/waterway in Europe and has a lot of commercial traffic. A16 opens only at night anyway, I think.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 11:25 AM   #7747
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A12 Utrecht - Veenendaal widening

Mission Accomplished

The A12 widening was completed today, August 3rd, 2012. They have widened 30 kilometers of motorway between the Lunetten Motorway Interchange at Utrecht and the city of Veenendaal. Most of the widening involved constructing "plus lanes" in the median which will be opened dynamically. The original A12 was constructed on a narrow 1940's alignment, and was basically completely rebuilt in under 2 years. The project was finished 2 years ahead of schedule.

The westernmost part of the project was widened to 2x4 lanes, then 2x3 lanes and the rest 2x2 + plus lanes in the median (basically also 2x3 lanes).

These plus lanes are now the longest in the Netherlands, stretching for 29 kilometers from Driebergen to Ede. The easternmost part between Veenendaal and Ede was already completed in 2009.

The A12 is expected to carry over 100.000 vehicles per day on these sections.

map of the widened section:
Old August 3rd, 2012, 11:37 AM   #7748
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Wow that is a lot of waiting , how many times a day do these bridges open?

That's in my hometown. They limit the opening times like woutero said. They also synchronize them with the nearby train station so you won't miss your train because you just had to wait for a bridge.

I'm OK with bridges opening for freight traffic. But in summer (the region is a popular tourist destination), the bridge opens for much longer as dozens of tourist yachts have to pass through and that, I can tell you, is extremely annoying.

Sometimes the (mostly German) tourists on the yachts wave at the people waiting for the bridge. That never goes well, they start booing and hissing. Sometimes they throw food.

Also, it should be noted that the bridge from the video is in Middelburg and there's another bridge just 200 meters next to it. They never open at the same time so emergency services can always reach the other side of the channel.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 11:38 AM   #7749
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Mission Accomplished

The A12 widening was completed today, August 3rd, 2012. They have widened 30 kilometers of motorway between the Lunetten Motorway Interchange at Utrecht and the city of Veenendaal. Most of the widening involved constructing "plus lanes" in the median which will be opened dynamically. The original A12 was constructed on a narrow 1940's alignment, and was basically completely rebuilt in under 2 years. The project was finished 2 years ahead of schedule.

The westernmost part of the project was widened to 2x4 lanes, then 2x3 lanes and the rest 2x2 + plus lanes in the median (basically also 2x3 lanes).

These plus lanes are now the longest in the Netherlands, stretching for 29 kilometers from Driebergen to Ede. The easternmost part between Veenendaal and Ede was already completed in 2009.

The A12 is expected to carry over 100.000 vehicles per day on these sections.

map of the widened section:
I don't understand dynamic "plus lanes" in the median. Wasn't cheaper and simpler to just open them? I mean, AFAIU they are not dynamic shoulders, which can be opened at certain times but with the downside of occupying the emergency lanes. What's the downside of opening those "plus lanes" so that they cannot be permanently open?
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 11:42 AM   #7750
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Back in the mid-2000's, when this project was decided, plus lanes were viewed as a way to circumvent difficult procedures by only opening the lanes at peak times. However, since about 2008, this is not a problem anymore, but they haven't changed the scope of the project in fear that it might be delayed, so it was constructed as "plus lanes" after all, even though the widening was basically a complete rebuild of the motorway, everything about it; pavement - embankment - bridges - viaducts, etc, are brand new. They managed to do that in just over 1.5 years; late 2010 to augustus 2012.

I suspect these plus lanes will be open to traffic the bulk of the day.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 12:41 PM   #7751
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Overijssel

Yesterday I returned to Mayrhofen from Holland. I went to Sneek last Wednesday, and got back here early this morning.

Yesterday from Sneek I had to go to Enschede, and the quickest way is to go down A7, A32 and A28, exit at J22 and go cross country over N-roads. Perfectly straight roads, 100 km/h limit, but with a green divider line, prohibiting overtaking on pretty much all the N-roads in the province of Overijssel. From Enschede I took the N35 into Germany (to get on the German A31 and carry on down the A3 towards Austria) and still the same green divider line, until you cross the border, and the road turns normal. Why is that?

Also, I don't like the new motorway signs. Especially the exit signs look messy, with the exit number placed on top of the destinations...
The Netherlands are trying to copy the German system, but it is just not working.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 01:20 PM   #7752
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 521

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The Schiphol Tunnel is closed for the second time in two days because of an electrical failure. The power supply failed, which means the tunnel lighting, cameras and motorway traffic management does not work. The tunnel is closed in both directions, causing major traffic disruption southwest of Amsterdam, despite the low traffic volumes due to vacations. With 18 lanes, the Schiphol Tunnel is the widest in Europe.

Yeahh, it's sad what happened...
but in other countries the tunnel owner let drivers still use the tunnel with lower speed limit. Modern cars are equipped with lights so the only issue is there not working cameras...

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 02:11 PM   #7753
Victorinus
GOES - NL

Likes (Received): 343

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
Also, it should be noted that the bridge from the video is in Middelburg and there's another bridge just 200 meters next to it. They never open at the same time so emergency services can always reach the other side of the channel.
You can't use that bridge anymore, since this summer. But you can use the new aquaduct (N57).

Stationsbrug.

Victorinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 02:23 PM   #7754
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6169

Did they finally make that bridge for pedestrians and bicycles only? So many accidents have happened there over the years, I couldn't count them. I'm not a fan of banning cars, but frankly it was necessary on that bridge.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 02:33 PM   #7755
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
the Nieuwe Maas is the busiest internal shipping canal/waterway in Europe and has a lot of commercial traffic. A16 opens only at night anyway, I think.
I remember reading it was twice a day, once in the afternoon and once at night. The afternoon one is, I guess, around noon or so.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 02:36 PM   #7756
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Perfectly straight roads, 100 km/h limit, but with a green divider line, prohibiting overtaking on pretty much all the N-roads in the province of Overijssel. From Enschede I took the N35 into Germany (to get on the German A31 and carry on down the A3 towards Austria) and still the same green divider line, until you cross the border, and the road turns normal. Why is that?
Because they think no overtaking = less head on collisions = safer roads.

What they forget is that a lot of head-on collisions don't occur during an overtake, but mostly because someone who ended up in the roadside oversteers to the left, hitting oncoming traffic.

So in short: practically no use (especially since most new overtaking bans are on straight stretches of road), and annoying as hell.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 03:36 PM   #7757
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21257

Overtaking on the opposite sense of direction is an inherently dangerous move, I shall agree. But, if they are to forbid it, they should bring more short sectors for passing.

The overtaking issue is more serious on very straight and flat roads, indeed, as your mind plays tricks with the lack of visual references to provide depth. Especially at night. On top of that, because roads are flat the speed differential between overtaker and overtaken is slow, minimal sometimes and that makes the whole thing even more dangerous - unless you approved 20km/h excess speed for overtaking up to 2 vehicles as in Spain.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 04:42 PM   #7758
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Is Overijssel the only province that has a large scale overtaking ban?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 04:45 PM   #7759
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Do Dutch generally respect overtaking ban with continuous line? In Italy we generally don't
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 04:54 PM   #7760
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Is Overijssel the only province that has a large scale overtaking ban?
Most provinces have it, only in Flevoland / Friesland / Drenthe / Groningen they are less excessive with passing bans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Do Dutch generally respect overtaking ban with continuous line? In Italy we generally don't
It's generally respected (mainly because increasingly few people know how to pass), but I see people crossing the lines from time to time.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands