daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 28th, 2012, 04:38 PM   #8021
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

And some more pictures of the temporary end of the A4 near Halsteren

Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2012, 05:18 PM   #8022
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

N31 Harlingen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The design-record of decision for the widening of N31 through the town of Harlingen, Fryslân province, has been published today.

The N31 will be widened from 1x2 to 2x2 lanes. The road will be depressed through Harlingen, at -4.6 meters. There will be one interchange to serve the city, instead of several ramps spread out along the corridor. The crossing with the Van Harinxma shipping canal will be an aquaduct, where the N31 will run at -10.0 meters. The whole depressed route is 1.8 kilometers long. This is the final project to widen N31 to a motorway or a 2x2, limited access expressway. Construction is expected to begin in 2013. The project is due for completion in 2017 and cost € 143 million.

The final record of decision has been taken on August 20th, 2012. The new ROD will be open to public consultation and appeals starting August 30th.

Construction will commence in 2013 and the new N31 will be completed in 2017.

There are no major design differences between the design-ROD and the final ROD.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 05:26 PM   #8023
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

Off topic, but did you know there's a Harlingen in New Jersey? Main landmark is a Dutch Reformed church.

Check out the name of the road leading west:
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...32916&t=m&z=15

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2012, 05:19 PM   #8024
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21240

Apparently, RWS hasn't properly signed, in full, all new sectors with the new speed limits. On top of international borders, Dutch legislation requires that the speed limit should be posted every 100 meters on small roadside markers.

Thus, many sectors without variable signaling will not have their speed enforced until the signaling is completed.

Here are the news in Dutch

Quote:
Op een deel van de snelwegen waar vanaf zaterdag 130 kilometer per uur mag worden gereden zal de politie voorlopig geen snelheidscontroles houden. Dat komt omdat er volgens justitie en politie niet genoeg 130 km-borden staan.

Daarom kan een daar bekeurde snelheidsduivel zijn boete met succes aanvechten. „Om te kunnen optreden tegen weggebruikers die zich niet aan de maximumsnelheid houden, moeten wij wel aan de voorwaarden voldoen die aan de handhaving zijn gesteld”, legde Ernst Koelman gisteren namens het Openbaar Ministerie uit. „Een daarvan is de duidelijke aankondiging van de limiet die geldt op het wegdeel.”

Rijkswaterstaat heeft de fout gisteren erkend. Als wegbeheerder is Rijkswaterstaat tekortgeschoten bij het voldoen aan de wettelijke regel dat de snelheid om de honderd meter aan beide kanten van de weg moet worden aangegeven.
Old August 31st, 2012, 06:03 PM   #8025
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Apparently they are going to install these new signs overnight tonight. Driving on the A76 from Belgian to German border yesterday, I saw the new 120 signs for the first time. Seems to be a new model sign, with a white edge like in France. Looks very refreshing.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2012, 06:19 PM   #8026
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Apparently, RWS hasn't properly signed, in full, all new sectors with the new speed limits. (...)

Thus, many sectors without variable signaling will not have their speed enforced until the signaling is completed.
The Telegraaf (although the article was originally posted by Novum) is talking crap again.
See this pressrelease bij Rijkswaterstaat (in Dutch).

Quote:
On top of international borders, Dutch legislation requires that the speed limit should be posted every 100 meters on small roadside markers.
No. You can put stickers with 30 km/h on the roadside markers, they don't mean anything.

Here's a nice map btw:

The text on the left:

Exceptions:
- 80- and 100 km zones near the big cities
- Shoulder running stretches
- Trucks (max. 80 everywhere)
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2012, 06:29 PM   #8027
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

It used to be possible to buy De Telegraaf (and Algemeen Dagblad and NRC Handelsblad) over here....

I used to get the Telegraaf's pre-vacation "wegwijzer" every year, just for fun.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old August 31st, 2012, 06:57 PM   #8028
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Apparently they are going to install these new signs overnight tonight. Driving on the A76 from Belgian to German border yesterday, I saw the new 120 signs for the first time. Seems to be a new model sign, with a white edge like in France. Looks very refreshing.
That is to enhance visibility for color-blind people.
Old August 31st, 2012, 07:15 PM   #8029
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods
It used to be possible to buy De Telegraaf (and Algemeen Dagblad and NRC Handelsblad) over here....

I used to get the Telegraaf's pre-vacation "wegwijzer" every year, just for fun.
I think you still can in New York City.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2012, 07:18 PM   #8030
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Is that a special version with the locations with the most obstructing road works, vacation routes etc? Just like the Dutch ANWB had one. (ANWB Kampioen is gone, right?)
Old August 31st, 2012, 10:46 PM   #8031
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21240

From that press release:

Quote:
Vanaf 1 september is de standaard snelheid 130 km/h in plaats van 120 km/h. Alleen als er uitzonderingen zijn, wordt dat door de borden aangegeven zoals dat tot nu ook gebruikelijk is.
This make sense (the standard limit doesn't have additional small sings on the roadside).

However, what about sectors that are to remain 120km/h? Can RWS leave no-signs on the roadside and use only big section signs?

That way, a driver might think the sector is 130 (no variable signaling, no roadside marker sign) and speed up.
Old August 31st, 2012, 10:50 PM   #8032
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Quote:
However, what about sectors that are to remain 120km/h? Can RWS leave no-signs on the roadside and use only big section signs?
Yes, they can, and they will too. Only the ones on 80 and 100 km/h stretches will remain. There will be no small signs on the markers. Those small ones don't have any meaning. RWS only has to provide those just after exits, and they will only do that.
(As said in a press release)
Old August 31st, 2012, 11:23 PM   #8033
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
Is that a special version with the locations with the most obstructing road works, vacation routes etc? Just like the Dutch ANWB had one. (ANWB Kampioen is gone, right?)
It's been 20 years since I bought it; it was an extra section of the weekend paper in late May with advice on how to get to Italy, how to get to Spain and so on; what roads have opened since last summer, where can you expect construction, which routes through France are less congested than the one through Lyon.... That sort of thing. Fascinating, and relatively comprehensible to me.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old August 31st, 2012, 11:33 PM   #8034
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I think you still can in New York City.
[news-junkie mode on...] 20 years ago, I could find Dutch papers in New York and Washington, maybe Boston. But that was it. Then the Borders bookstore chain started expanding like crazy and they and their competitors started carrying overseas papers fairly widely even in suburbia. Since 2005-ish (and this was probably inevitable, with the Internet), all that's dried up. You can find some European papers in Washington, but nothing like what you used to; Borders is out of business, other bookstores have stopped carrying non-local papers; I haven't been to New York in a while. I haven't seen a print edition of a Dutch or Scandinavian paper, or anything from outside North America and Western Europe, in years [news-junkie mode off...]

Used to glance at the NRC on line once in a while. But there are only so many hours in the day. What Dutch I get now is mostly De Standaard.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 1st, 2012, 12:45 AM   #8035
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6162

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2012, 12:47 AM   #8036
ChrisZwolle
Road user

This whole 120 / 130 difference and the impact on nature and surroundings is mainly a theoretical paper issue, in reality it will hardly make any notable difference.

We should get rid of the remaining 120 sections as soon as possible.
Old September 1st, 2012, 12:11 PM   #8037
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Old September 1st, 2012, 03:24 PM   #8038
ChrisZwolle
Road user

40% less congestion in August

The amount of traffic congestion in August 2012 declined by 40% compared to August 2011, according to the Dutch motorist association ANWB. Traffic congestion in August 2011 was also down by 25% compared to the year before, meaning that the level of traffic congestion has declined significant in the Netherlands.
Old September 1st, 2012, 03:33 PM   #8039
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Gosh. Any explanation, or theory?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 1st, 2012, 03:39 PM   #8040
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Road widenings. It's as simple as that, the VMT (vehicle miles traveled) is at an all-time high.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands