daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 5th, 2012, 01:18 PM   #8061
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

N61 Hoek - Schoondijke

The Council of State has dismissed all appeals against the record of decision to widen the N61 to a 4-lane road.

The new N61 will feature 4 lanes, but no grade-separation because it "doesn't fit in the Zeelandish landscape". It will feature roundabouts instead. Only a small portion of the road will remain two lane because of a natural area. A new bypass around the town of Schoondijke will be constructed.

Construction will commence next month and will be completed in late 2014.

This small part will remain a two-lane road.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 5th, 2012, 11:24 PM   #8062
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

RWS short public service video about the new speed limit in Netherlands

Old September 6th, 2012, 12:07 AM   #8063
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N302 Hoorn - Enkhuizen

One of the larger provincial road projects is coming our way. The N302 Hoorn - Enkhuizen upgrade has been approved and the environmental documents are now open for appeals. Construction could start in 2013 if appeals are dismissed.

It will be a 2x2, 100 km/h expressway with grade-separation. It's currently one of the busiest two-lane roads in Noord-Holland with 20.000 - 30.000 vehicles per day.

1. Motorway interchange Hoorn and interchange Hoorn.

2. interchange Hoorn / Zwaagdijk-West

3. interchange Hoorn / Blokker

4. interchange Zwaagdijk / Westwoud

5. interchange Zwaagdijk-Oost / Hoogkarspel-Noord

6. interchange Hoogkarspel-Zuid

7. interchange Hoogkarspel / Lutjebroek.
Old September 7th, 2012, 11:50 AM   #8064
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A7 Afsluitdijk

Video #2 from Tuesday's trip; the A7 across the Afsluitdijk (enclosure dam). It's a 32-kilometer dam.

Old September 7th, 2012, 01:09 PM   #8065
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Flevoland province replaced all hectometer poles along the new N307 Dronten - Lelystad just three months after installing them...

Old model:

new model:
image hosted on flickr

hectometer pole Flevoland by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
Old September 7th, 2012, 01:11 PM   #8066
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Is there a reason why the Netherlands (and large parts of France) have distance markers every 100 metres, and everywhere else every km or 500 metres?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 04:16 PM   #8067
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

The U.S., starting at some point in the past decade or so, seems to be transitioning from mileposts every mile* to every tenth. But it's very inconsistent, not least because it's happening state by state. (It may be a state decision; it may be a Federal standard but they've been given a few years to comply....I don't know.)

Don't know the reason.

*in some places - the state of Delaware, for example - it was every half-mile; the toll roads in New Jersey seem to have always used tenths but they were on their own in that respect.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 04:39 PM   #8068
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

How is that not a motorway?
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 04:41 PM   #8069
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Because that's only a short stretch of 2x2 near exit Swifterbant. The rest is 1x2.
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 09:45 PM   #8070
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Flevoland province replaced all hectometer poles along the new N307 Dronten - Lelystad just three months after installing them...

new model:
image hosted on flickr

hectometer pole Flevoland by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
Its better design, but its waisting money anyway...
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #8071
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Is there a reason why the Netherlands (and large parts of France) have distance markers every 100 metres, and everywhere else every km or 500 metres?
I suspect because 100 meter intervals are ideal to enable quick and accurate responses by emergency services following accidents. A marker every 100 meters means that you have one in sight all the time, which is clearly not the case at higher intervals. For the same safety reason, markers always feature the route number and those on dual carriageways also feature a lane indicator. Easiest way to tell the emergency services quickly and exactly where they need to go. But of course this comes at a cost, and supposedly many other countries do not want to take those.

I have that I don't really like the sight of so many little green signs along my route, also becuase they are trying to enhance visibility of the signs. I very much prefer what you see in countries like Belgium, France and Italy: smaller, less visible markers every 100 meters (they might turn them by 90 degrees, like you see in Belgium) and then a kilometer post with better visibility.
Old September 7th, 2012, 11:14 PM   #8072
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Yes, on a lot of motorways in France they have them placed every 100 metres on top of the crash barriers in the central area of the motorway, with the distance printed on both sides, so you can read them coming from any direction. It does the job, costs half of the price of putting markers on both sides, and it doesn't have a novel written on it, like in the Netherlands.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2012, 01:42 PM   #8073
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Italian motorways have that too. Small signs on the median crash barrier made in black on white. The combination of colour and placement causes the signs not to stand out, while the information is still available. Much less so than the Dutch markers: not only larger in size, but also more colourful and designed to contrast against the crash barrier. Where speed limits are posted on the markers, it is done against a dark background that yields much less contrast. And that aspect is something that I actually like as a form of reassurance (though it would be perfectly fine to limit the reassurance to every km or so). The remaining part of the novel is good for inclusion every 100 meters, they just ought to do it less visibly for the ordinary motorist not in need of communicating this exact whereabouts.

The size of the markers is only small, and so is the distraction, but I am glad that I am not the only one who does not like this aspect of the Dutch motorways.

Last edited by -Pino-; September 8th, 2012 at 01:52 PM.
-Pino- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2012, 01:54 PM   #8074
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pino- View Post
Italian motorways have that too. Small signs on the median crash barrier made in black on white. The combination of colour and placement causes the signs not to stand out, while the information is still available. Much less so than the Dutch markers: not only larger in size, but also more colourful and designed to contrast against the crash barrier.

It is true that the signs don't stand out, and I like it. Those signs are really small, in fact.

What I don't like of the Italian system:
- they should be placed on the right side barrier... if you're stopped in the emergency lane, reading small signs on the median can be hard;
- the format is not 14,7 but 14 - VII. Who the hell uses roman numbers today?

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2012, 08:44 PM   #8075
Victorinus
GOES - NL

Likes (Received): 343

Here some information in Dutch aboout hectometer poles: Wikipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Pino-
I suspect because 100 meter intervals are ideal to enable quick and accurate responses by emergency services following accidents.
Yes that's the main reason.
Victorinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2012, 08:47 PM   #8076
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A50 Ewijk Waal River Bridge

The construction of the second A50 Waal River Bridge is progressing steadily. They started adding the cables so the remaining gap across the river will be closed.

Today was a good day for some photography.

1. Approaching the bridge from the parallel road. This road used to be paved but is temporarily unpaved.
image hosted on flickr

A50 Waalbrug Ewijk-1 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

2. Looking southbound. Traffic from the new bridge will be able to use 4 adjacent lanes, northbound traffic will use 4 lanes split in 2+2 lanes due to the bridge pylons in the median.
image hosted on flickr

A50 Waalbrug Ewijk-2 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

3. German 10 km/h sign. There were several vans parked on the bridge with German plates, some as far away as München and Chemnitz.
image hosted on flickr

A50 Waalbrug Ewijk-3 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

4. Traffic is very noisy at this point, because the bridge still has 1970s pavement. The adjacent sections have double-layer porous asphalt and are MUCH more quiet. The dilatation joints also appear to have outlived their useful service life, you could feel them moving every time a vehicle passed.
image hosted on flickr

A50 Waalbrug Ewijk-4 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

5. The new bridge is about a meter higher than the existing bridge. After traffic will be switched to the new bridge in 2013, the old bridge will be jacked up to allow for greater clearance for shipping, making them able to stack another row of containers on them.
image hosted on flickr

A50 Waalbrug Ewijk-5 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

6. Quite an impressive structure. This is by far the largest bridge project in the Netherlands since the mid-1990s.
image hosted on flickr

A50 Waalbrug Ewijk-6 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

7. The new bridge pylons. The design will be somewhat identical to the existing pylons, but not exactly the same.
image hosted on flickr

A50 Waalbrug Ewijk-7 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

8. These pylons are somewhat bigger (wider) than the existing steel ones.
image hosted on flickr

A50 Waalbrug Ewijk-8 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

9. The Waal River is by far the most important natural waterway in the Netherlands. It accounts for a large share of freight going from Rotterdam towards the German hinterland.
image hosted on flickr

A50 Waalbrug Ewijk-9 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

10. Two signs, because both carriageway will be used for northbound traffic in 2013/2014.
image hosted on flickr

A50 Waalbrug Ewijk-10 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

11. The existing pylons are a bit more sleek and made of steel. Notice the road lights were on for no reason.
image hosted on flickr

A50 Waalbrug Ewijk-11 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

12. Looking up.
image hosted on flickr

A50 Waalbrug Ewijk-12 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

13. A typical road sign in the Netherlands. This one indicates the distance to the Valburg motorway interchange.
image hosted on flickr

A50 Waalbrug Ewijk-13 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

14. The signs already have the future situation on them.
image hosted on flickr

A50 Waalbrug Ewijk-14 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

15. Underneath a gantry. These gantries have massive foundations, about 6 meters long, 1.5 meters wide and god knows how deep, probably a couple of meters. Apart from the weight from the gantry and installations, they also have to be capable to withstand significant wind force.
image hosted on flickr

A50 Waalbrug Ewijk-15 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; September 8th, 2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old September 8th, 2012, 09:19 PM   #8077
lpioe

Likes (Received): 18

They already installed signs that will only be useful in 2013/2014?

3ds Max Script to create stadium stands for given c-values

my stadium designs (all WIP / unfinished...)

1 - 2 - 3 - 4

lpioe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2012, 10:39 PM   #8078
beto_chaves
Here since 2007

Likes (Received): 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
The same happens in Portugal!
All motorways and expressways have distance markers every 100 metres. Each marker has also an indication to which way is the nearest emergency phone.
Old September 8th, 2012, 11:58 PM   #8079
domtoren

Likes (Received): 1215

The old A2 is disappearing!

I posted earlier some images of the breaking-up of old A2 near Utrecht, it is continuing, here are some new images I took today:

domtoren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2012, 12:06 AM   #8080
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There goes 50+ years of highway history. You can even see the original 1950s concrete. The A2 was the first post-war intercity motorway in the Netherlands.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands