daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 9th, 2012, 12:12 AM   #8081
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
- they should be placed on the right side barrier... if you're stopped in the emergency lane, reading small signs on the median can be hard;
- the format is not 14,7 but 14 - VII. Who the hell uses roman numbers today?
You need a really wide road or poor eyes if you cannot read an Italian marker in the median when standing still on the shoulder. Mind you, I can read them when passing at speed. But the point is fair that one marker in the median appears to save material, yet does not necessarily in the sense that you can only go so far in downscaling the markers.

As to the Italian numbering format, I can only guess. Possibly related to the way Roman numerals are sometimes used in dates too (15 IV rather than 15.04 for 15 April): it is then believed that two numbering formats make easier reading. In the two-line format employed on the Italian markers, it might indeed be argued that Arab and Roman numerals below one another improve the legibility of both. But the difference is small at best, plus you wonder why they did not pick a one-line format in the first place.

Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2012, 01:28 AM   #8082
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

I read in a blog (whose author blocked commenting me) a long misinformed post about Netherlands transportation.

They used some other picture of A2 removal to say how the great city of Utrecht, having adopted traffic calming and narrowed many roads downtown in the late 1970s and 1980s, is now even removing an entire freeway altogether to expand some sustainable neighborhood.

Little did the American fanboi knew about how much roadwork has been going on around UTrecht :p
Old September 9th, 2012, 01:29 AM   #8083
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Can you link to the blog?
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2012, 02:23 PM   #8084
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Yes, I also would like to see for myself what kind of fool would write utterly nonsense like that...
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2012, 01:57 PM   #8085
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19390

Transportation minister Schultz officially inaugurated the A12 Utrecht - Veenendaal widneing today.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2012, 08:46 PM   #8086
woutero

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I read in a blog (whose author blocked commenting me) a long misinformed post about Netherlands transportation.

They used some other picture of A2 removal to say how the great city of Utrecht, having adopted traffic calming and narrowed many roads downtown in the late 1970s and 1980s, is now even removing an entire freeway altogether to expand some sustainable neighborhood.

Little did the American fanboi knew about how much roadwork has been going on around UTrecht :p
Don't you think he might have been talking about the removal of the "Catharijnesingel-freeway" in the center of Utrecht? This 1km stretch of freeway is being removed, and restored as a canal. It will indeed make a part of Utrecht's center more attractive.

That's this part (photo), which is here (map):
woutero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2012, 08:49 PM   #8087
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Can't wait for the reply...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #8088
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19390

Developments like that only encourage more dispersion.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 02:05 AM   #8089
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

More attractive to have some stinky water ? Okay, if you say so...

In my opinion Cockoo, but ah well, I don't live in Utrecht luckily anyhow, nor do I have any reason to go there.

ROTTUURDAAAAAAM, KEN JE DAT NIET HOREN DAN?
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 02:14 AM   #8090
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Melanie is for sure the secret love dream of all road junkies

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 02:25 AM   #8091
Suburbanist
on the road

Netherlands has so many canals, and so does Utrecht, I actually favor burying some canals to make room for extra urban avenues (depressed/entrenched), and turning the upper areas in pedestrian-only plazas (so you get a 2-level street of sorts).
Old September 11th, 2012, 03:38 AM   #8092
Suburbanist
on the road

Can anyone identify the 2 film shooting locations on the movie below

Old September 11th, 2012, 03:41 AM   #8093
Suburbanist
on the road

Short film about VMS deployment in 1982

Old September 11th, 2012, 09:13 AM   #8094
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Netherlands has so many canals, and so does Utrecht, I actually favor burying some canals to make room for extra urban avenues (depressed/entrenched), and turning the upper areas in pedestrian-only plazas (so you get a 2-level street of sorts).
Not every canal is the same. You've got the type of picture-perfect canal that tourists come over for (e.g. Herengracht, Keizersgracht, Prinsengracht in Amsterdam; Oude Gracht in Utrecht; Oude Delft in Delft) and you've got the canals that have nothing to do with that classical picture. If you look at redevelopment, you need to distinguish accordingly. I do not think that it is realistic to pursue the conversion of some 19th century "singel" at the fringe of the city centre (e.g. Nieuwe Herengracht in Amsterdam) into an area that could ever be attractive for pedestrians. On the other hand, I do not think that many classical canals could ever be turned into something attractive for motorists; too narrow. In both cases, of course, you'll end up with the usual discussions on loss of character, pollution issues for the neighbourhood etc.

I don't think that any project should be excluded upfront. After all, how many urban roads used to be a "singel" and where would Amsterdam be without the
Vijzelgracht being buried? So any specific project would need to be considered at its merits. In Amsterdam, large parts of the s100 are running parallel to canals; the non-pittoresque type of canal. Burying part of those canals would permit a much better access to the city centre, and I doubt whether it would really adversely affect the local environment if they turned the s100 into an entrnched urban boulevard with a street level low on traffic. But this is Amsterdam, such a project won't fly until pigs can do so.
Old September 11th, 2012, 09:13 AM   #8095
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist
What about the canals in central Amsterdam?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 09:14 AM   #8096
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Quote:
Can anyone identify the 2 film shooting locations on the movie below

I've got 1 for you:

N344 near Apeldoorn

More old videos of Dutch roads can be found here
Old September 11th, 2012, 09:28 AM   #8097
woutero

Likes (Received): 41

@suburbanist: I was not asking about your opinion about such projects (I really didn't have to ask ), but whether or not this "American fanboi" might have been talking about a different project, thus being less misinformed.

I will bite and respond though: you can argue whether it is a good investment to remove roadspace in favor of a canal, but this piece of road was part of a 1958 plan for the city of Utrecht to fill in the entire canal ring/moat to make space for traffic, combined with considerable demolition in the medieval city center to make space for new roads. This 1km stretch was the only part of that plan that got built, going from a regular city street to another regular city street. It didn't serve a big traffic purpose.

I am not against cars, and think it's good that Utrecht is getting a lot more road capacity on its freeways, and some of the roads into the city, but I can't blame the people of Utrecht for preferring their very beautiful innercity to be like this (Catharijnesingel at the southern end of the 'freeway' stretch):

Rather than this (the part that is being demolished):
woutero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 12:23 PM   #8098
temlin

Likes (Received): 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Transportation minister Schultz officially inaugurated the A12 Utrecht - Veenendaal widneing today.

Love it
temlin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 11:57 PM   #8099
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by woutero View Post
I am not against cars, and think it's good that Utrecht is getting a lot more road capacity on its freeways, and some of the roads into the city, but I can't blame the people of Utrecht for preferring their very beautiful innercity to be like this (Catharijnesingel at the southern end of the 'freeway' stretch):

Rather than this (the part that is being demolished):
They should have demolished those buildings near the canal and built higher modern towers (more or less like they did in Eindhoven in a smaller scale or in Rotterdam in a much larger and awesome scale).
Old September 12th, 2012, 12:08 AM   #8100
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Quote:

Still no link? Can't find it anymore?

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands