daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 29th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #8341
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Eek!

I assume people started shouting about privacy? (And rightly so.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #8342
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19405

The kilometer charge is a recurring proposal to implement a GPS-controlled, distance and time-based toll. This could cost rush hour commuters several thousand euros per year, while only high incomes would benefit from it by the abolishing of the new car purchase tax (used to be 43% plus VAT/sales tax, now it's a calculation).
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 11:22 PM   #8343
Neverworld

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Eek!

I assume people started shouting about privacy? (And rightly so.)
Yes. More about cost though (we are Dutch, after all). But you're right, a government that can dictate when you can and when you can't drive in certain places or even anywhere (which they would be able to, effectively, by charging more at peak times and for certain locations) is dangerously close to a totalitarian regime. Not to mention the fact that the government can at any moment know where I'm driving, how fast I am driving and things like that. It's scary to even think about and I am very happy they scrapped this idea for a number of years at least.

Another piece of news is the scrapping of the free public transport card for students, which means they (I hope to be graduating within a year, luckily) will be subject to regular public transport fares again. You might think that's not a bad thing, but I think it is, as there is still a major shortage of student rooms near schools and universities, so I'm afraid this measure will simply result in higher prices for the rooms that are available, more than anything else. Going back to topic, it might also mean more people on the road, as the choice between public transport and private transport will change significantly in future for a large group of people with quite a high travel demand.
Neverworld no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 10:10 PM   #8344
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A5 Westrandweg, Amsterdam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchal1942 View Post
een paar foto's van de westrandweg.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old November 1st, 2012, 10:59 PM   #8345
CitoyenNéerlandais

Likes (Received): 484

Looks good .
CitoyenNéerlandais no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 11:54 PM   #8346
Gereke

Likes (Received): 237

I hope it's not to narrow in a few years time... Widening would be very, very difficult and expensive.
Gereke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2012, 12:14 AM   #8347
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

The construction has been build in a way that usage of 3 lanes in each direction is possible. However the I/C on the viaduct will only be 0,6 with 2x2 lanes; I expect no need for converting the shoulders into lanes for at least the next 15-20 years.
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2012, 12:23 AM   #8348
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The existing A5 (Raasdorp - De Hoek) will probably become more of a problem than the new part.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 07:06 PM   #8349
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13297

Netherlands highways will glow in the dark starting in mid-2013

A smart road design that features glow-in-the-dark tarmac and illuminated weather indicators will be installed in the Netherlands from mid-2013.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2012...g-in-mid-2013/

Old November 3rd, 2012, 07:51 PM   #8350
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

now, I like that.

Getting stuck in a traffic jam in Amsterdam A1 at 1 a.m. yesterday due to the roadworks.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 07:58 PM   #8351
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox View Post
Netherlands highways will glow in the dark starting in mid-2013

A smart road design that features glow-in-the-dark tarmac and illuminated weather indicators will be installed in the Netherlands from mid-2013.
Doesn't seem very intelligent to me if paint glows just when it is cold. However indicator when invisible ice is present on the road, that would be something.
keber está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 10:25 PM   #8352
Daviedoff
Belgian road driver

Likes (Received): 29

A video I've made yesterday of N61 Schoondijke - Terneuzen. It looks now quite "oldschool" (old roadmarkings, overtaking mostly allowed,...)but from now on till 2014 this road will be completely renewed and upgraded...

Daviedoff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 12:37 AM   #8353
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daviedoff View Post
A video I've made yesterday of N61 Schoondijke - Terneuzen. It looks now quite "oldschool" (old roadmarkings, overtaking mostly allowed,...)but from now on till 2014 this road will be completely renewed and upgraded...

[youtube]KvWWXWQsedY[youtube]
Better than most duurzaam veilig roads. I prefer to be able to overtake!
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 06:35 PM   #8354
ChrisZwolle
Road user

traffic congestion down by 40%

Traffic congestion was down by 40% during the month of October, Dutch motorists and tourist association ANWB reports. Especially the evening rush hours recorded less traffic congestion. The reduction is in line with earlier months, traffic congestion was also down by 40% in August and September.
Old November 5th, 2012, 07:02 PM   #8355
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The new Dutch government was inaugurated today. The center-right liberals (VVD) went into a coalition with the labor party (PvdA).

Melanie Schultz (left) remains minister of Infrastructure and Environment. Wilma Mansveld (right) replaces Joop Atsma (center) as secretary of I&M.

Melanie Schultz will be in charge of spatial planning, roads, maritime affairs and waterworks.
Wilma Mansveld will be in charge of environmental issues, the weather office, aerospace and rail transport.
Old November 5th, 2012, 08:47 PM   #8356
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Parking fees were the highest growing revenue of municipal income, a new study shows. While the municipal revenue grew by 20% between 2007 and 2012, parking revenues grew by 38%. Parking revenues were € 445 million in 2007 and € 614 million in 2012.

The growth in parking revenue had three primary causes; more municipalities introduced parking fees, the paid parking areas were expanded and parking fees were raised.

It is not the biggest revenue sector for municipalities. Property taxes amounted to € 3.2 billion and sewage rights revenued € 1.4 billion.
Old November 5th, 2012, 10:22 PM   #8357
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1820

€ 614 million That's more than the annual budget for Estonian highways (maintenance and EU financing included)
[2012 Estonian road budget is € 285 million]

Last edited by Rebasepoiss; November 6th, 2012 at 08:47 AM.
Rebasepoiss está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2012, 12:43 AM   #8358
woutero

Likes (Received): 41

Well, I'm not sure if that's sad for NL (poor parkers) or Estonia, but Estonia also only has 8% of the inhabitants and less than 3% of the GDP the NL does.

So if you would relate it to the size of the economy €614 million for Estonia would mean €22 billion for The Netherlands. I don't think we have that kind of budget for roads either...

EDIT: I see that the message by Rebasepoiss was edited: Estonian budget is €285, which would mean 'only' just over €10 billion for The Netherlands (if it were proportional to the economy). I don't mean anything with it, just to say it is hard to compare apples and oranges.

Last edited by woutero; November 6th, 2012 at 03:06 PM.
woutero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2012, 11:59 AM   #8359
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

€22 billion lol snowdog is hearing the angels sing Hallelujah.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2012, 12:43 PM   #8360
zsmg

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by woutero View Post
So if you would relate it to the size of the economy €614 million for Estonia would mean €22 billion for The Netherlands. I don't think we have that kind of budget for roads either...
Netherlands doesn't need that kind of budget though, its infrastructure with some exception here and there is already top class.
zsmg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands