daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 6th, 2012, 05:56 PM   #8361
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

road capacity expansion 2012 - 2015

New lane kilometers in the coming years:

* 2012: 63,0 km
* 2013: 179,4 km
* 2014: 351,0 km
* 2015: 211,3 km
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 6th, 2012, 10:00 PM   #8362
woutero

Likes (Received): 41

Do you have details about where these lane-km's will be added?
woutero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2012, 03:02 AM   #8363
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
€22 billion lol snowdog is hearing the angels sing Hallelujah.
That would a be a nice infra budget .
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2012, 09:52 AM   #8364
ChrisZwolle
Road user

About € 18 billion will be invested in the road network between 2011 and 2020. Which translates to € 2 billion per year, or 1% of the government budget or 0.3% of GDP.
Old November 7th, 2012, 11:24 AM   #8365
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A2 's-Hertogenbosch - Eindhoven

A2 's-Hertogenbosch - Eindhoven widening may continue, but...

The Council of State has issued a 62-page (!) verdict today about the widening of the A2 between the cities of 's-Hertogenbosch and Eindhoven. The motorway is currently being widened to 2x3 lanes, with the northern third already opened to traffic with six lanes.

The Council of State is making an inquiry at the European Court of Justice about the European habitats directive of 1992. It's a given that the widening of the motorway will increase nitrogen deposits in this area, but compensation measures have also been taken. The question is whether this against the directive or not.

The Council of State has not annulled the record of decision to widen the motorway, so construction may continue and has given a free rein to the Minister of Transportation whether to open the new lanes or not.

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; November 7th, 2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old November 7th, 2012, 07:51 PM   #8366
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The Council of State has not annulled the record of decision to widen the motorway, so construction may continue and has given a free rein to the Minister of Transportation whether to open the new lanes or not.
And we all know Schulz will open it .
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2012, 07:29 PM   #8367
ChrisZwolle
Road user

traffic safety

A new study by the governmental agency "knowledge institute of mobility" shows steps need to be taken to address the increasing amount of fatalities and severely injured senior cyclists.

There were 11.000 severely injured cyclists in 2009, out of a total of 18.600 severely injured overall. 85% of those 11.000 accidents with severely injured cyclists did not involve a motor vehicle. The study shows especially senior citizens are vulnerable due to their weakened systems, slow reaction and poor condition.

The number one factor is infrastructure-related, such as anti-car obstacles, slippery roads and potholes. The second factor is bicycle related, such as people not being able to control their bicycle. This could be pretty minor things to the experienced younger cyclist, like slipping off the pedal. Seniors can fall off their bicycle and break their bones or hit their head against the pavement. The third factor are humans, such as other cyclists or unexpected situations. In practice, it's a combination of these three factors.

The number of severely injured senior citizens on a bicycle increased by 41% between 2005 and 2009. Often the infrastructure is safe, but the cyclists aren't. They propose a new approach to bicycle safety, and reducing the feeling of untouchability cyclists have. In other words, cyclists need to become more aware that they are very vulnerable due to the lack of physical protection like in a motor vehicle.
Old November 8th, 2012, 09:19 PM   #8368
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
. In other words, cyclists need to become more aware that they are very vulnerable due to the lack of physical protection like in a motor vehicle.
Geez. It took them only a 100 years to come this conclusion? Either way, I hope the authorities are not going to become over-protective again, and make them wear helmets and stuff. People should be able to think and take risk assessments for themselves at some point, without the interfering...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2012, 09:24 PM   #8369
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Helmet laws are warranted, considering society as a whole ends up paying for the healthcare of risk-increased cyclists.
Old November 8th, 2012, 09:28 PM   #8370
Road_UK
BANNED

Are you Dutch? I have asked you a few times, you never answered...
Old November 8th, 2012, 09:31 PM   #8371
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
The number of severely injured senior citizens on a bicycle increased by 41% between 2005 and 2009. Often the infrastructure is safe, but the cyclists aren't. They propose a new approach to bicycle safety, and reducing the feeling of untouchability cyclists have. In other words, cyclists need to become more aware that they are very vulnerable due to the lack of physical protection like in a motor vehicle.
Maybe that has to do with the population aging? Electric bicycles? Etc...
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2012, 09:31 PM   #8372
Surel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Are you Dutch? I have asked you a few times, you never answered...
google out SPQR .
Old November 8th, 2012, 09:34 PM   #8373
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
google out SPQR .
Yes, I read Asterix and Obelix. I can picture him with his sandals actually...
Old November 8th, 2012, 09:40 PM   #8374
Neverworld

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Helmet laws are warranted, considering society as a whole ends up paying for the healthcare of risk-increased cyclists.
So you're also in favor of smoke banning laws, driving no faster than 60km/h laws, going to the beach laws (one might drown), and such?
Neverworld no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #8375
Surel

I don't think that helmet laws for bikers will be ever in force in the NL. Its quite funny though when you look on all the other regulations. In the CZ there is a mandatory helmet for children under 15 (or maybe 18?) and I must say it is a good rule. Its just a matter of getting used to it. At first it would feel awkward for the Dutch parents and schoolkids, but they would get used to it.

A czech friend of mine has allways a helmet on in the NL when on a bike.
Old November 8th, 2012, 10:04 PM   #8376
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I cycle to work every day across a busy bicycle route, but I virtually never see anyone with a helmet. Only sometimes little kids (age 4/5) and amateur racers have a helmet.
Old November 8th, 2012, 10:07 PM   #8377
Surel

Quote:
I cycle to work every day across a busy bicycle route, but I virtually never see anyone with a helmet. Only sometimes little kids (age 4/5) and amateur racers have a helmet.
Yeah, my friend, he had been ridiculed for that . But nevertheless he also cracked the helmet once, thus it worked for him. But he rides a race bike mostly (not for sporting purpose only). Cycling some 30 - 40 km/h in Utrecht streets is not that safe after all .

Last edited by Surel; November 8th, 2012 at 10:10 PM. Reason: race bike
Old November 8th, 2012, 10:10 PM   #8378
sotonsteve

Likes (Received): 3

Do you get a lot of psychotic cyclists in the Netherlands who seemingly want to kill anybody who drives a motor vehicle and have zero regard for road laws?
sotonsteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2012, 10:15 PM   #8379
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Well yeah, there are always idiots, they are everywhere. The majority of cyclists I see behave pretty well. The only thing that really no cyclist ever does in morning rush hour is give priority to traffic from the right here. Besides that. Good behaviour. Some Dutchies may be shocked: but quite a lot of cyclists on my route actually indicate!

I cycle to school every day across a busy cycle path with at least 1500 students. And they all pass within about 15 mins (8:00 - 8:15). No one wears a helmet. It's busy as hell. constantly (near) chain collisions with cyclists (this morning for example someone's bag fell of his bike: everyone hard on the brakes). But besides stupid red light runners (I can honestly say I've only done that once in 5 years, and that was when the light just stayed on red...) there are never any crashes or injuries. Everyone is used to these near chain collisions and everyone anticipates. You can hear most of them coming. Hard brake noises etc.
And a safe distance: sorry, never heard of that. In a slight descend on my route everyone cycles about 20 km/h (or more) and no one keeps more than 1 meter distance to the cyclist in front. And still: rarely any crashes. There are a lot of near crashes (sudden braking), but as I said: everyone knows that will happen and everyone anticipates.
No helmets needed.

(I should really get a cycle cam )
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2012, 10:28 PM   #8380
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
Cycling some 30 - 40 km/h in Utrecht streets is not that safe after all .
I do that on a daily base without a helmet, but not in Utrecht

(only a little relevant):

This afternoon I made THE best overtake I had ever made. Location

There was a big group of cyclists in front going like 10 km/h, everyone wanted to pass. Here everyone always drives on the road and just leaves the cyclepath untouched (see Streetview pic). That's because it's longer than the route via the road and practiically no one drives on the road itself anyway. So everyone goes onto the road. The slow guys were cycling 3 abreast and another 3 abreast group started an overtake. The slower cycle path was actually also being used to overtake the slow group (if there would've been no one I would've passed them there). Besides those 2 groups driving abreast there was also a stream of cyclists trying to pass them all on the left side (going around 20 km/h). That could only be done 1 cyclist at a time because there was no more room for another cyclist next to them! They were almost cycliing against the parked cars on the other side of the road.
I cycled up to the now 7-cyclist-wide group of cyclists and looked. Nowhere to overtake... I wasn't planning on slowing down. Now what? I know! The cycle path meant for cyclists driving the other way! There were no cyclists coming the other way, only 2 parked sedans (= good view over the cars), and no pedestrians. And I overtook them with 30+ km/h

And I made it to the light up ahead! Light just turned orange as I raced by

[/end of boring and REALLY off-topic story]
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands