daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 13th, 2012, 05:28 PM   #8461
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by drozdz View Post
Thx for posting pictures I've asked for. That's what I've been looking for!
Got another one for you, one of my personal favourites

View from highway
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 14th, 2012, 08:33 PM   #8462
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21247

From the HHF section....

Updates on A4 construction Delft-Schiedam

Quote:
Originally Posted by egramsb View Post
01. Het fietsbruggetje bij Delft zuid (hier) is inmiddels in gebruik

02. Uitzicht noord

03. zuid

05. Ik ook niet trouwens. Ik sta hier ongeveer op de toekomstige middenberm. Blik noord.

06. zuid

07. Een kleine 2km verderop (hier) bevindt zich een duiker die een halve eeuw geleden alvast is aangelegd. Die moet nu worden gesloopt. Hij is al een beetje uitgegraven.

08. Viaduct Oostveenseweg in de verte.

09. nogmaals

10. Blik op Delft

11. De pyramide van Cheops.

12. En hier werd ik door een bewaker vriendelijk doch dringend verzocht het terrein te verlaten. Wel sympathiek dat hij nog vertelde waar de camera's hangen.
Old November 15th, 2012, 01:01 PM   #8463
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 520

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
Yeah duh! There's a truck-only lane there
https://maps.google.nl/?ll=51.905943...34.47,,1,-5.42
Not only trucks! I've driven coaches there Great experience during peak traffic :P

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2012, 03:06 PM   #8464
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19405

The latest Dutch land reclamation project is almost finished in the Port of Rotterdam. Frequent readers of this thread know the road infrastructure opened recently. A large beach has been created to support recreation in the biggest port of Europe. Did you also know the port area is the largest hunting ground of the Netherlands? They have to shoot excess animals to prevent them from degrading the dikes and oil tank storage retention basins.

Here's the latest aerial image of the Maasvlakte 2, as it is officially called.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2012, 04:31 PM   #8465
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A2 Maastricht double-deck tunnel

Workers reached the deepest point of the new A2 motorway double-deck tunnel in Maastricht this week. The deepest point is 22 meters below the surface. They excavated 10.500 truckloads of earth and stone.

Old November 16th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #8466
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Vaanplein Motorway Interchange

The orginal Vaanplein Interchange at the southern side of Rotterdam was a windmill type, a comparatively rare interchange type. It was significantly altered in the first half of the 2000s to make space for the Betuwe Railroad, and is currently undergoing further reconstruction.

1970s render:

location @ Google Maps
Old November 16th, 2012, 11:36 PM   #8467
Daviedoff
Belgian road driver

Likes (Received): 29

A/N256 in southwestern part of NL:
Daviedoff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2012, 10:32 AM   #8468
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A50 Ewijk, Waal River Bridge

Construction of the second Waal Bridge west of Nijmegen is progressing at 5 meters per week.

Old November 17th, 2012, 11:58 AM   #8469
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Statistics

Traffic congestion increased by 22% between 2000 and 2011, according to a KiM study. KiM is an independent government agency that studies mobility matters. Traffic congestion went down in 2011 and will continue to go down in 2013. Traffic congestion will likely increase again in later years, though traffic growth is not as high as it was before 2005. Traffic will increase by 1 - 2% per year.

The number of young drivers decreased, likely due to the high cost of driving for people without a fixed income. Especially students drove less, a phenomenon also visible in other countries like the United States. Driving a car is prohibitively expensive if you don't have a minimum income.

Train usage increased in 2011, chiefly due to the increased usage of free student travel. Road freight growth was below other transportation sectors. The annual number of kilometers traveled by persons older than 12 years increased by 40% during the last 25 years. In 2011, traffic congestion was down by 18%, while traffic increased by 3%.

The number of solo drivers increased in recent years, chiefly because the number of vehicles per household increased, leading to less family carpooling. Especially women increased their driving because the need of two-income households to afford a house grew.

Car ownership is still increasing in the Netherlands, but appears to be topping out. Drivers license ownership is also still increasing, both among the younger and older people. Youths drove less, but the amount of youths also declined due to the aging of the general population. So far the rise of the internet has not resulted in less traffic.

There was less international travel by car, chiefly due to the increased supply of low-cost airlines. The modal split has not changed since 2000. 75% of all travel is by car. About 50% of all travel is social-recreational in nature. Commuting travel kilometrage increased by 18%. The average commuting distance grew from 16 to 18 kilometers, mainly attributed to the willingness of higher educated people to travel further and longer for a good-paying job.

40% of public transport travel is done by students. 5% of all trips are done via public transport, translating to 13% of all kilometers, because the average train trip is much longer than the average car or bicycle trip. Train travel increased by 17% between 2000 and 2011. Cycling increased by 14% in that timeframe. 6% of all bicycles are E-bikes, which are electrically powered. These are especially popular among senior citizens.
Old November 17th, 2012, 01:10 PM   #8470
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21247

Those figures for students might change fast, since the government is considering alternative schemes for financing student trips.

For those who don't know it: university and technical college students of Dutch nationality, in a nutshell, get a free transportation card for either weekdays or weekends for the duration of their studies. It covers all public transportation except some ferries and high speed trains (for which supplement is required).

This create some unintended consequences, such as students commuting 150km per day to their schools, employers who hire students for functions like couriers because they can ride transit for free etc. It also created expectations such as national students associations that promote events, games or even parties and people all over the country attend for free because they don't pay for trains.

Personally, I think they don't need to completely scrap the free transportation benefit because it is impossible to find housing for students who now commute. However, I'd tweak the program like requiring students to pay 10 or even 5% of their travel costs with a loan. Or maybe some fixed co-payment per trip. That way, since students have low income naturally, they would use transportation more wisely.
Old November 17th, 2012, 01:34 PM   #8471
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A16 Hazeldonk border crossing

The Hazeldonk border crossing south of Breda is the busiest in Europe, with an average workday volume of 60.000 vehicles per day.

Old November 17th, 2012, 04:20 PM   #8472
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Traffic congestion increased by 22% between 2000 and 2011, according to a KiM study. KiM is an independent government agency that studies mobility matters. Traffic congestion went down in 2011 and will continue to go down in 2013. Traffic congestion will likely increase again in later years, though traffic growth is not as high as it was before 2005. Traffic will increase by 1 - 2% per year.

The number of young drivers decreased, likely due to the high cost of driving for people without a fixed income....
Interesting.

Tiny point of English (at least American English): "fixed income" is an income that's not growing, and the implication is that it's not that large. You usually hear it used about (or by...) elderly people living on retirement benefits (Social Security, here). I think you mean "steady income." I suppose the two expressions really mean the same thing, but the connotations are different.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2012, 04:22 PM   #8473
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
The Hazeldonk border crossing south of Breda is the busiest in Europe, with an average workday volume of 60.000 vehicles per day.

What actually happens at an intra-EU (particularly intra-Benelux) border crossing these days? Those are just conventional service areas that happen to be at the border (or maybe replaced the customs facilities), right?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 17th, 2012, 04:24 PM   #8474
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's not a carless generation, but rather people wait until they get a job until they buy their first car. In the Netherlands, a car can cost over € 200 per month in taxes, payment and insurance before it has even driven 1 kilometer with € 1.80 per liter fuel... It's basically the same phenomenon with home ownership.
Old November 17th, 2012, 04:27 PM   #8475
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

I read too fast the first time. Then corrected myself because I saw you had actually said that, and assumed you had the statistics to back it up. :-)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old November 18th, 2012, 02:15 PM   #8476
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A15 Rotterdam

A view of A15 at the Shell Pernis refinery. Photo taken in June 2012

image hosted on flickr
Old November 20th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #8477
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N50 Ramspol Bridge

The new 4-lane Ramspol Bridge north of Kampen opened on the evening of November 18, 2012. I meant to film it yesterday, but it was foggy all day, and today turned out much better.

Old November 21st, 2012, 12:15 PM   #8478
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 806

Quote:
The new 4-lane Ramspol Bridge north of Kampen opened on the evening of November 18, 2012. I meant to film it yesterday, but it was foggy all day, and today turned out much better.

Great video! But I don't understand why they haven't made prepared everything as an extended A50 highway.

Will they upgrade the first section from 2x1 to 2x2 as well? Pretty amazing that back in 2003 they build a bridge only 2x1 wide on the N50
Old November 21st, 2012, 01:59 PM   #8479
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Someone asked about glass noise barriers earlier.

Old November 21st, 2012, 02:44 PM   #8480
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A4 Den Haag (The Hague)

The government published its final draft on the A4 plans at Den Haag (The Hague) today. Now real procedures can begin. The A4 will be widened between 2020 and 2023, so they're planning ahead this time.

map:

The following schematics only include changes to the existing roadway. In some cases, not all of the roadway will be changed and is excluded from the draft.

These schematics run from south to north (see map above).

1. Begin project at the Den Hoorn exit. A third lane will be built in the median.

2. Approaching the Den Haag-Zuid exit. 2x3 through lanes, 2-lane on- and offramps.

3. Den Haag-Zuid exit will be changed into a semi free-flow interchange.

4. A short 2x5 section between Den Haag-Zuid and Rijswijk exits.
image hosted on flickr

A4-1 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

5. Strangely only 2x3 through lanes for a short section at Rijswijk.
image hosted on flickr

A4-2 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

6. 2x5 again after Rijswijk.
image hosted on flickr

A4-3 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

7. Begin local-express setup at the Plaspoelpolder industrial area exit.
image hosted on flickr

A4-4 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

8. The Ypenburg motorway interchange with A13.
image hosted on flickr

A4-5 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

9. The mega triple local-express setup between Ypenburg and Prins Clausplein interchanges. This area features 20 lanes in a 4+4+2+2+4+4 setup.
image hosted on flickr

A4-6 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

10. The braid.
image hosted on flickr

A4-7 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

11. The Prins Clausplein stack interchange. A new two-lane carriageway will be built along A4 in the northbound direction only.
image hosted on flickr

A4-8 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

12. A short local-express setup between Prins Clausplein and Leidschendam exit. 8 northbound lanes, 7 southbound lanes.
image hosted on flickr

A4-9 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

13. at the Leidschendam exit. End of local-express setup, 2x3 lanes (for the time being) towards Leiden.
image hosted on flickr

A4-10 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands