daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 9th, 2012, 04:04 PM   #8581
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19427

A4 Gaag Aquaduct

One of the lesser known motorway aquaducts is along A4 on the western side of Delft. It's the Gaag-aquaduct and is also one of the smaller motorway aquaducts in the Netherlands. A4 dead-ends south of here until 2015, so there is not much out-of-region traffic, adding to the obscurity of this aquaduct. Notice there is space for 2x3 lanes with shoulders.

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 9th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #8582
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N261 Tilburg

I found another example of the lack of planning among some governments in the Netherlands, in this case the Tilburg municipality.

The N261 is part of the Tilburg Ring Road. Although planning already began in the early 1980s, actual construction did not start until the mid- to late 1990s. The northeastern part opened in three phases between 1998 and 2003 as a two-lane road with signalized intersections.

Traffic data from the year after opening already revealed significant traffic congestion, 2004 data shows an intensity/capacity value of 0.95. Anything over 0.90 is considered to be chronically congested. The I/C value should be below 0.75.

The new road was built as a two-lane facility, but roads crossing over the N261 had viaducts with space for a second carriageway. However, viaducts where N261 crosses other roads or railroads did not. Furthermore, a right-of-way for the second carriageway was not acquired during initial construction.

The N261 is currently being widened to a 2x2 highway, similar to the N260A and N260 around Tilburg, which together form the northern beltway of this city of nearly 200,000 people. Works should be completed within a few months.

Old December 10th, 2012, 12:08 PM   #8583
Daviedoff
Belgian road driver

Likes (Received): 29

A video of A73 freeway in the snow:
Daviedoff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 12:41 PM   #8584
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
There are ferries from Hoek van Holland. But with both flights and Eurostar+Thalys high-speed trains, the market for ferries is probably going waay downwards.
To frigging Harwich, which is no good. The old Olau Line used to do Vlissingen - Sheerness. Now that was awesome.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 02:21 PM   #8585
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
There are ferries from Hoek van Holland. But with both flights and Eurostar+Thalys high-speed trains, the market for ferries is probably going waay downwards.
No it`s not. People still want to be able to bring their own vehicles to Britain/Continent, and even though SeaFrance has gone up the wall, P&O and DFDS are still very much in the game when it comes to passenger, car and truck crossings...

Eurotunnel is not always reliable, often expensive and subjected to a lot of delays. That's why we only use it when we're desperate.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 02:32 PM   #8586
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
To frigging Harwich, which is no good. The old Olau Line used to do Vlissingen - Sheerness. Now that was awesome.
Harwich at least has direct train services to useful places and isn't much further away from London than Sheerness (and much closer to most of the big cities/tourist areas in the UK). Plus - while the Essex coast is bad - Sheerness as the first bit of England you see close up is "I want to go back home!" territory.

Then again Sheppey, as a marshy flat low-lying sheep-covered cesspool might be acceptable to the Dutch
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 02:53 PM   #8587
Road_UK
BANNED

Essex coast is not all that bad, as long as you avoid places like Southend and Thurrock...

I have always found Harwich quite charming...
Old December 10th, 2012, 03:22 PM   #8588
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonsi View Post
Harwich at least has direct train services to useful places and isn't much further away from London than Sheerness (and much closer to most of the big cities/tourist areas in the UK). Plus - while the Essex coast is bad - Sheerness as the first bit of England you see close up is "I want to go back home!" territory.

Then again Sheppey, as a marshy flat low-lying sheep-covered cesspool might be acceptable to the Dutch
What good is a train when I've come by car on a ferry?

Boats are slow so the shorter the distance the better.
Old December 10th, 2012, 04:07 PM   #8589
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21257

If you want to take your car, isn't best to drive to Calais and cross there in a short time instead?
Old December 10th, 2012, 04:18 PM   #8590
Road_UK
BANNED

Quote:
If you want to take your car, isn't best to drive to Calais and cross there in a short time instead?
Yep, that is what I always do.
Old December 10th, 2012, 04:27 PM   #8591
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Does your boss let you choose your own routes - "get to city X by noon Wednesday and don't spend more than X on fuel and tolls" - or specify them for you?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #8592
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Quote:
Not when we lived in the Vlissingen/Middelburg area in the 1980s and early 1990s, no.

These days that would be the quickest thing to do. If you don't need your car, the quickest thing to do is to drive to Lille.
Old December 10th, 2012, 04:31 PM   #8593
Road_UK
BANNED

Nah, I choose my own routes, and sometimes even divert when I have time to visit friends and family. He encourages us to put our foot down, and using toll roads is never a big deal, although he does sometimes asks us to go the extra 100 miles via Brenner when going to Italy, instead of the expensive route through France and Mont Blanc.
Old December 10th, 2012, 05:15 PM   #8594
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 806

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
One of the lesser known motorway aquaducts is along A4 on the western side of Delft. It's the Gaag-aquaduct and is also one of the smaller motorway aquaducts in the Netherlands. A4 dead-ends south of here until 2015, so there is not much out-of-region traffic, adding to the obscurity of this aquaduct. Notice there is space for 2x3 lanes with shoulders.

That is a huge waste of money: look at the solid concrete bridge which is max 1,5 meters high a few meters away from the Aquaduct. They could have build a highway bridge instead of an aquadact, although maybe at the time it was build they were still expecting huge ships to use the canal

https://maps.google.nl/?ll=51.990154...275.42,,0,4.82
Old December 10th, 2012, 07:39 PM   #8595
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A2 's-Hertogenbosch - Eindhoven

The widening of A2 to 2x3 lanes. Near the town of Best (which means the same in Dutch as it does in English).

Old December 11th, 2012, 07:34 AM   #8596
Agnette

Likes (Received): 29

Chris, would You say what is the source of aerial photos in your posts?
Old December 11th, 2012, 09:53 PM   #8597
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A208 in Haarlem appears to be history... A part was already downgraded in 2009, but now it disappeared from the signs entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnette View Post
Chris, would You say what is the source of aerial photos in your posts?
Most of the are from the Rijkswaterstaat Beeldbank. Some are from other sources. The last one was from Twitter.
Old December 12th, 2012, 11:04 AM   #8598
Godius
Nitimur in vetitum

Likes (Received): 4069

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post

Most of the are from the Rijkswaterstaat Beeldbank. Some are from other sources. The last one was from Twitter.
I didn't know that Rijkswaterstaat had a public archive like this, thanks for letting me know about it.
Godius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 11:21 AM   #8599
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 521

English copyright notice

The intellectual ownership of the image material lies with Rijkswaterstaat, the executive arm of the Dutch Ministry of Infrastructure and the Environment. No additional costs are associated with copyright, although it is mandatory to acknowledge the source with each publication: https://beeldbank.rws.nl, Rijkswaterstaat.

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 08:15 PM   #8600
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A9 Badhoevedorp Bypass

The construction of a new alignment of A9 motorway around Badhoevedorp (near Amsterdam) has been contracted yesterday.

Construction will commence in the fall of 2013 and should be completed in 2017, after which the existing 2x2 motorway through the town of Badhoevedorp will be demolished. The new motorway will feature 2x3 lanes. Apart from the new motorway, the Badhoevedorp Motorway Interchange will be entirely rebuilt into a massive spaghetti interchange.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands