daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 12th, 2012, 08:23 PM   #8601
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

A1/A6 Amsterdam - Almere expansion

In addition to the Badhoevedorp Bypass project (see previous page), a € 1 billion subproject has been tendered east of Amsterdam today. It includes the expansion of the A1 and A6 motorways between the Diemen Motorway Interchange with A9 and the city of Almere.

The widening includes a new alignment of A1 with 12 lanes (5+2+5) including a two-lane reversible, a new aquaduct, which is the widest in the world, and a new Hollandish Bridge between Noord-Holland and Flevoland provinces, which will become the widest bridge in the Netherlands with 14 lanes.

[img]http://i42.************/24estg0.jpg[/img]
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2012, 07:17 AM   #8602
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

I'm still opposed to the principle of demolishing old roads!

The old road should still exist (even if just a local road, and don't let duurzaam debiel touch it!), along with the new road. You don't demolish roads imho! (re: Badhoevedorp)

If it was me, the old road with be a 1x5 motorway in 1 direction, with the new one being a 1x6 or 1x5 lane road in the other direction!
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2012, 10:49 AM   #8603
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post

The old road should still exist (even if just a local road, and don't let duurzaam debiel touch it!), along with the new road. You don't demolish roads imho! (re: Badhoevedorp)

If it was me, the old road with be a 1x5 motorway in 1 direction, with the new one being a 1x6 or 1x5 lane road in the other direction!
On one of your rants again?
Old December 13th, 2012, 11:51 AM   #8604
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:

Glad it's not you.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2012, 12:22 PM   #8605
Neverworld

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:

That's just not necessary.

Moreover, I'm sure the people of Badhoevendorp are happy that the motorway in their town disappears, which means a better life for them.
Governments should aim for improving infrastructure all the time, not just adding it. Sure, in the Netherlands improving infrastructure often means adding lanes due to the neglect of the last 2 decades, but in this case improving it is not only adding lanes, but also choosing a more logical route.
Neverworld no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2012, 12:36 PM   #8606
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverworld View Post
That's just not necessary.

Moreover, I'm sure the people of Badhoevendorp are happy that the motorway in their town disappears, which means a better life for them.
Governments should aim for improving infrastructure all the time, not just adding it. Sure, in the Netherlands improving infrastructure often means adding lanes due to the neglect of the last 2 decades, but in this case improving it is not only adding lanes, but also choosing a more logical route.
Don't bother telling him, he has Asphalt running through his veins. There is no reasoning with this guy!
Old December 13th, 2012, 01:20 PM   #8607
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17486

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
In addition to the Badhoevedorp Bypass project (see previous page), a € 1 billion subproject has been tendered east of Amsterdam today. It includes the expansion of the A1 and A6 motorways between the Diemen Motorway Interchange with A9 and the city of Almere.

The widening includes a new alignment of A1 with 12 lanes (5+2+5) including a two-lane reversible, a new aquaduct, which is the widest in the world, and a new Hollandish Bridge between Noord-Holland and Flevoland provinces, which will become the widest bridge in the Netherlands with 14 lanes.
Great project How long will be this new alignment of A1 with 12 lanes (5+2+5)?
Old December 13th, 2012, 03:46 PM   #8608
Neverworld

Likes (Received): 6

From here to here. The two-lane reversible will join the normal A1 after the A1-A6 interchange.

Do mind though that the A9 will be reconstructed as well, so it isn't a simple road widening just for that stretch of the A1.
Neverworld no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2012, 04:04 PM   #8609
woutero

Likes (Received): 41

I'm pretty sure the reversible lanes will connect to the A6 toward Almere. The A6 will get a major overhaul as well with a 2+2+2+2 local/express setup in Almere.
woutero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #8610
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The part between Muiderberg and Almere will feature a slightly different configuration, with a reversible ending at the southern side of Almere and then the 4x2 setup through Almere.
Old December 13th, 2012, 06:39 PM   #8611
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N348 Dieren

The N348 provincial road runs directly through the town of Dieren (which, on a side note, literally means "animals"). The Gelderland Province has published the design record of decision to build a depressed open cut with 1x2 lanes to bypass a few traffic signals and reduce the impact of traffic on the adjacent properties. The adjacent railway will remain at-grade though, so there is no "Nijverdal solution" here.

The choice for a 1x2 depressed road is critized for being a suboptimal solution, especially in the long term, because this part of N348 already carries over 20.000 vehicles per day. 2x2 lanes would be more future-proof. The A48 motorway was planned to bypass Dieren in the 1970s, but was never built.

Old December 13th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #8612
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

This illustrates well the double standards of ROW intrusion. A multi-track rail yard + wide station poses no problem, whereas a 2-lane road is seen as problematic.
Old December 13th, 2012, 07:23 PM   #8613
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
This illustrates well the double standards of ROW intrusion. A multi-track rail yard + wide station poses no problem, whereas a 2-lane road is seen as problematic.
Maybe, if you think in terms of local pollution, it can be understandable: train does not pollute, cars do.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #8614
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Location of the N348.

Just about 2 kilometer south of Dieren is the northern terminus of the A348 provincial motorway (A48 prior to 1993). As you can see it was planned to continue north. However, two bridges across the IJssel River would have been necessary.

Just north of Dieren is the Brummen Bypass, which has motorway standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Maybe, if you think in terms of local pollution, it can be understandable: train does not pollute, cars do.
Air quality is not an issue in the Netherlands. Only about 10 kilometers of inner-city streets out of a 120.000 kilometer road network have particle or NOx concentrations above the thresholds.
Old December 13th, 2012, 07:27 PM   #8615
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

A single train may generate way more noise than a road vehicle (even if modern passenger trains are a lot better), but it's not continuous as road traffic.

Personally I hate the neverending "swoosh" noise of road traffic.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2012, 07:28 PM   #8616
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Quote:
Only if you are speaking or air exhausts.

Trains do generate noise pollution (more than cars, but they get away with laxer noise standards for political reasons), and they create the anathema of Dutch planning, e.g., "intrusions" that "sever" cities.
Old December 13th, 2012, 07:30 PM   #8617
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Air quality is not an issue in the Netherlands. Only about 10 kilometers of inner-city streets out of a 120.000 kilometer road network have particle or NOx concentrations above the thresholds.
I'm not questioning your good faith, but I find that hard to believe.
Old December 13th, 2012, 07:53 PM   #8618
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
The Netherlands is very windy.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #8619
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:

It's also not true. For years there has been political discussions about speed limits on the Amsterdam and Rotterdam ring roads for that very reason. They have finally pushed it back up from 80 to 100 km/h again, resulting in another court case pending to bring it back down to 80 due to air quality.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #8620
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
The Netherlands is very windy.
I was about to ask what your secret was... I guess this is the answer

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands