daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 24th, 2012, 10:46 PM   #8741
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21252

Vintage ANWB sign

image hosted on flickr

Leeuwarden by eurograd, on Flickr

Sponsored Links
Old December 24th, 2012, 11:10 PM   #8742
MattN

Likes (Received): 91

That reminds me: Someone I used to work with looked after this 100 year old woman, when she died they cleared her house out and found a 1930s Dutch tourist brochure in English. I was given it. It's quite funny to see some of the language, interesting photos as well.
MattN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 01:18 AM   #8743
kek4la

Likes (Received): 0

Here's a video of the newly opened section of A5:

A few observations:
- Good signage, customized for temporary situation.
- 80km/h speed limit is a bit brutal, even A10 West has 100km/h half of the day. Perhaps this is temporary, due to A5 ending at Westpoort for now.
- A5 does not feed Amsterdam Nieuw-West, neither through N200 nor through any other options. Osdorpweg upgrade or a continuation of De Alpen mght be future choices?
- In that regard, A5 was probably built as the express choice from Amsterdam North to South Holland, keeping A10 West for local traffic.
- 2x2 might prove not enough after a while, if long distance traffic is comparable to local traffic on A10 West, which is 3x3, yet it is mostly jammed during rush hours.
- Long urban viaduct towards A10. It goes through an industrial area, but still it is weird to see that in the Netherlands.
kek4la no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 01:38 AM   #8744
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by kek4la View Post
- 80km/h speed limit is a bit brutal, even A10 West has 100km/h half of the day. Perhaps this is temporary, due to A5 ending at Westpoort for now.
It was political compromise to set the max. speed at 80 km/h. Once it is proven that 100 km/h is possible without exceeding air quality limits it will be altered to 100 km/h. This was done to speed up the construction.

Quote:
- 2x2 might prove not enough after a while, if long distance traffic is comparable to local traffic on A10 West, which is 3x3, yet it is mostly jammed during rush hours.
The Basiswegviaduct (the section that still is still U/C) can be changed to 2x3 lanes (not 3x3 ), the other new part of the A5 can be relatively easy widened to 2x3 if the need is there. More worrying is that the older part of the A5, between interchanges Raasdorp and De Hoek is estimated to carry 100.000 vehicles on 2x2 in 2022 (?). Not sure which year it was predicted for. But 100.000 vpd is waay too much for 2x2 lanes. To compare: the Coentunnel carries 110.000 vehicles on 2x2 lanes. The bad news is that the oldest part of the A5 is much harder to widen. For instance this tunnel was not built for future widening to 2x3. 2x3 could be possible, but with narrower lanes.
Fun fact (thanks to Chris ): in the 90's the A5 was originally planned as 2x1 road! Imagine if they had built that

Quote:
- A5 does not feed Amsterdam Nieuw-West, neither through N200 nor through any other options. Osdorpweg upgrade or a continuation of De Alpen mght be future choices?
The exit with the N200 was not built because - according to the Haarlemmerliede municipality - it would create too much traffic in Halfweg, where the A200 ends and N200 begins.
There was another exit planned, as can be seen on this map:

Which is also the reason there currently are only exits 2 and 3. Number 1 is being reserved for this possbile future exit.
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 11:28 AM   #8745
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
Thank Duurzaam Veilig for the overtaking ban...
Means that overtaking in Netherlands is/will be possible only on multilane roads?
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 11:43 AM   #8746
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

Yes, more or less. Not all provinces follow the guidelines to ban passing on every road though.

I always feel the policies for Duurzaam Veilig (sustainable safety) are made from a Randstad point of view where passing is not possible most of the day anyway due to heavy traffic and 60 km/h is often a reasonable speed on narrow minor rural roads. However the situation is quite different in the east and north of the country and especially Flevoland province with its straight roads for many kilometers. You can't expect people to crawl along with 60 km/h there.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 01:10 AM   #8747
Neverworld

Likes (Received): 6

Or as you say the national roads in the North and East (N35, N46 and such) where 100km/h is allowed but where the amount of trucks is sufficiently high to guarantee that you won't go over 85km/h without overtaking.

Or of course quiet roads like this, where some people like to drive slowly to look around and some people just want to go from A to B. Being allowed to overtake takes away so much frustration both for slow and fast driver. Luckily I've noticed on some roads like this overtaking is not banned, even after reconstruction, but it varies a lot per province.
Neverworld no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 04:50 PM   #8748
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Uitwijkroutes - Detour Routes

The Netherlands copied another thing from Germany, the so-called "U Routes" (Uitwijkroute) or Detour Routes. They were introduced a number of years ago but are almost never used in practice.

Here's one integrated on a non-redesign guide sign in Wijhe, Overijssel. The IJssel River is in the background.

image hosted on flickr

N337 U32 Wijhe by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
Old December 26th, 2012, 06:48 PM   #8749
Suburbanist
on the road

Water levels very high over there
Old December 27th, 2012, 03:37 PM   #8750
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Council of State issued a verdict on two road cases today.

The A9 Badhoevedorp Bypass is partially annulled because of some minor errors (a wrong indication of an overpass on a map and a wrong damage compensation agency). The construction of the motorway however, has not been annulled and can likely proceed as planned.

All appeals against the twinning of N33 between Assen and Zuidbroek to 2x2 lanes have been rejected. This means construction can commence full force in the spring.
Old December 27th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #8751
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
The bad news is that the oldest part of the A5 is much harder to widen. For instance this tunnel was not built for future widening to 2x3. 2x3 could be possible, but with narrower lanes.
Or by dropping the hard shoulder for the tunnel (and if needed, slightly narrower lanes)?

Easiest solution imo...

Last edited by snowdog; December 27th, 2012 at 06:55 PM.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #8752
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
Or by dropping the hard shoulder for the tunnel (and if needed, slightly narrower lanes)?
That was exactly what I meant
Old December 28th, 2012, 05:44 PM   #8753
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A4 Delft - Schiedam

An aerial photo of the A4 under construction in Schiedam. Note that these houses were built after the right-of-way of A4 was reserved. These people living there were lucky the motorway wasn't constructed 45 years ago with no noise protection at all and are currently lucky excessive public spending is done to prevent noise (i.e. building an unnecessary tunnel from a legal point of view).

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; December 28th, 2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old December 28th, 2012, 10:34 PM   #8754
Suburbanist
on the road

Algerabrug

This is probably one of the worst road bottlenecks in The Netherlands...

Video by DeRaaf

Old December 29th, 2012, 02:27 AM   #8755
SkyView

Likes (Received): 13

[/QUOTE]

Is this a Moscow suburb ?
SkyView no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 02:29 AM   #8756
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Nope, just Schiedam You should see some pics of Amsterdam-Zuidoost
Old December 29th, 2012, 04:54 AM   #8757
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
This is probably one of the worst road bottlenecks in The Netherlands...

Video by DeRaaf

[youtube]eUm3QxhLAOA[youtube]
AARGH, I've worked in an office in Krimpen temporarily for a year, I hated it, stupid Algeraburg and Algeraweg. Could have just as well cycled instead of using a car!

It's not just the Algeracorridor.

The whole Stormpolder is jammed up around 5pm every single day.
Way to much traffic over a single road...

They need a Ridderkerk-Krimperwaard link, iirc. about half the traffic over the Algerabrug crosses the Brienenoord bridge to reach their destination. Not only would this link uncongest the Algeracorridor, it would significantly lower traffic over the A. v. Rijckevorstelweg (N210) in Capelle ad IJssel, and the A16 local lanes ( and the regularly occurring gridlock on Kralingseplein ( okay gridlock may be exaggerated, but east south traffic regularly blocks the interchange for flows that aren't jammed, like from west going north)) !
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 06:21 AM   #8758
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I know the area a little bit from the brief time that I've worked there, so I know a little bit of what you're talking about. I bet it's Chinese for anyone else...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 06:39 AM   #8759
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Not for me, but just to be sure for others. It's here.

I can remember a traffic cam on the roundabout just north of the Algerabrug, but I think it's not available anymore.
Old December 29th, 2012, 08:15 AM   #8760
Suburbanist
on the road

They should extend the A15 stub in Riddekerk to Capelle aan de IJssel

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands