daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 25th, 2008, 07:41 PM   #861
CborG
Rick Bakker

Likes (Received): 372

Here are some maps of planned expressways

N18, Varsseveld-Enschede proposed trace:

Varsseveld-Lichtenvoorde

Lichtenvoorde-Eibergen

Eibergen-Enschede

N356, new 2x2 expressway between the N31 and Dokkum in the northern province of Friesland:

Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2008, 08:15 PM   #862
CborG
Rick Bakker

Likes (Received): 372

Another 2x2 expressway U/C. The N57, west of Middelburg.

Vision of Middelburg area. The N57 is visible in the middle:

Renders of the aquaduct:

Map showing the part with the aquaduct in detail:

connection with the A58:

Old February 26th, 2008, 10:32 AM   #863
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19427

Bad luck for those who were stuck in the traffic jam behind an accident with 3 trucks on the A67 near Eersel. They had to wait 5,5 hours on the exact same place before they could continue their journey.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 12:45 PM   #864
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Not as bad as last year though, when people had to wait 10 hours in their car on the A1. And lets not forget the 85 km long jam between Den Bosch and Abcoude on the A2...
Timon91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 02:48 AM   #865
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 806

Als er toch ruimte ligt voor een wisselstrook van twee rijbanen leg dan aan elke kant 2 rijstroken extra aan en gebruik die als spitsstrook. 2x7 Die carpoolstrook die op de A1 ligt is ook zonde van de ruimte, als je daar rijdt zie je dat ze net zo goed aan beide kanten een baan extra hadden kunnen neerleggen.
Old February 28th, 2008, 12:20 PM   #866
ChrisZwolle
Road user

You know this is an English speaking part of Skyscrapercity?

Personally, i think 2x5 lanes can do the job. In Los Angeles, they manage to handle twice the traffic as on the A2 on 10 lanes. (of course, this is not freeflowing, but the A2 has enough buffer with 2x5 lanes). I am more concerned about the connecting motorways, like the A9 and especially A10, which has only 2x3 lanes, but more traffic than the A2.

Because the A2 won't be jammed anymore, traffic can flow uninterrupted to the A10, which causes traffic jams there. The A10 should also be widened to 2x5 lanes, with long and wide offramps, so queues waiting for local traffic lights do not jam the motorway immediatly.

2x5 lanes can pretty much do the job in the Netherlands, except some very short sections, like the A1 east of Amsterdam, which needs 2x7 lanes to handle the future traffic from Almere. The major problem right now is that not a few motorways face under-capacity, but almost all. So to really improve things around Utrecht or Amsterdam, we need major improvements on the motorways, not just one or two.
Old February 28th, 2008, 08:11 PM   #867
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The new A73 tunnel near Roermond seems to be a pain in the ass.

Somehow, the tunnel closes automatically when a overheight truck is approaching, but this system seems to be overreacting. The tunnel has been closed for a dozen of times since it's opening a week ago, and traffic jams have occured already for over 10 hours in the last 10 days.

I don't know the problem, but it looks to me this tunnel is discount or something, if they increased the clearance by 20cm, there shouldn't be any problem.
Old February 28th, 2008, 08:40 PM   #868
Zibou

Likes (Received): 0

Probably built on the cheap, like too many roads across Europe...
Do the Netherlands have those so-called "expressways" which are often single or dual carriageways with very nice at grade roundabouts every 500 meters, to get sure traffic doesn't speed too much and surely gets jammed ? France's got quite a few, to "reduce costs"....
Zibou no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 09:58 PM   #869
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Well, first thing, NOTHING is build cheap in the Netherlands, whether it's functioning or not. The costs of a motorway can be 4 - 40 times higher than in other countries. An over-the-top project is the missing A4 near Rotterdam, which costs 700 million € for 7000 meters. That is over a billion dollars for 4,5 miles of freeway through unbuild area.

The Netherlands have very few expressways, but too many roundabouts.
Old February 29th, 2008, 02:54 AM   #870
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 806

Agree with you Chris, but I think they should connect the A9 to the A6 and upgrade the existing A9 to 2x5 and later upgrade the A10. Problem at the moment around Amsterdam is that almost all traffic that has no business there still has to take the A10. Think about people living in Almere and working at Schiphol. People living in Purmerend / Zaandam working in Almere etc etc.
Old March 1st, 2008, 03:42 PM   #871
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Problems today, because of a light storm.

in my neighborhood, whole roofs, facades and rooftiles were blown away, some streets were littered with debris.

At the N57 near Hellevoetsluis, a part of the crashbarrier came loose, and was blowing across the roadway. The A16 faced a lot of construction debris blown from a nearby construction site in Rotterdam. At the A6 just south of Almere, a road construction tent blows across the driving lanes, creating major delays. construction materials are also blowing over the roadways.

At the A27 near Werkendam, downed trees falled over the motorway, also forcing authorities to block several lanes. The N302, the 30km long dike Enkhuizen - Lelystad, was closed for half the day, because a bridge couldn't close anymore. Traffic had to detour over 100 km. A truck overturned on the A28 near Utrecht, damaging the roadway and road accesoires. At the A2, near Beesd, the crashbarrier also came loose and was dangerously sweeping across the motorway. Authorities put in a emergency repair, but traffic jams were building up fast here.
Old March 1st, 2008, 04:15 PM   #872
Timon91
Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post
Agree with you Chris, but I think they should connect the A9 to the A6 and upgrade the existing A9 to 2x5 and later upgrade the A10. Problem at the moment around Amsterdam is that almost all traffic that has no business there still has to take the A10. Think about people living in Almere and working at Schiphol. People living in Purmerend / Zaandam working in Almere etc etc.
Yes, but the A9 and A10 both don't have enough space next to it to make it 2×5.
And about the A6-A9: I'm very much against it, because it would be only 1 km from my home, and it would go through a nice nature area. It would be better for the traffic flows, but it also gives lots of opposition in that area.
Old March 1st, 2008, 04:33 PM   #873
ChrisZwolle
Road user

You sound like the typical NIMBY

To be frank, this connection would be much better for the traffic flows. I don't understand the opposition, since almost the whole section was proposed as a tunnel. And to be honest, just some grasslands are not that special. Half of the Netherlands exist out of this landscape type. The more natural scenery was to the south, where the proposed connectiong wouldn't go through. (Naardermeer and surroundings).

Anyone able to read a map could tell you that, but the opponents made it look like the motorway would just race right through the natural area.
Old March 1st, 2008, 04:38 PM   #874
Timon91
Error

Yes, you are right, but the opposition is about the Naardermeer, which is quite a unique area in the Netherlands. I'm more against it because of the noise. I already have the A2 and the 4-track railway line Amsterdam-Utrecht nextdoors, and another highway would definately worsen this problem. The section where it connects with the A9 is not proposed as a tunnel, as far as I know.
Old March 1st, 2008, 06:11 PM   #875
vinman

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
And to be honest, just some grasslands are not that special. Half of the Netherlands exist out of this landscape type. Anyone able to read a map could tell you that, but the opponents made it look like the motorway would just race right through the natural area.
First, that's just a matter of taste if you like the grasslands or not. I'm not fond of forest everywhere. In the Netherlands all the grasslands aren't the same if you compare them to each other.
Old March 1st, 2008, 06:12 PM   #876
darulez
Stadjer (European)

Likes (Received): 5

New A7 (E22) trace in Groningen-east. Part of the ringway south/east.

p.s. Waarom lullen we hier eigenlijk engels? 99% Is Nl-er hier .

darulez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 07:54 PM   #877
cees
billieron

Likes (Received): 10

also the a6 was closed today in the direction from almere to amsterdam. At the 'hollandse brug' a working tent was blown over the highway wich caused a jam of at least 10 kilometers.

@ timon, and chris, i think the a6 a9 connection is not that important, one thing is for sure, almere needs another connection with amsterdam, because of the fragility of only 1 highway wich connects this 'metropole' i think they should restart the project with the bridge over the ij-meer. I think this won't cause that much worries with nimby's, and nature activists cause it only improves enviroment, it's also proven that it will turn out better for water quality at the ijmeer. with the next schale boom of almere. more than 40thousand home's within the next 15 years, this connection will be so important. so how do you guys think on that?
cees no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 08:17 PM   #878
Timon91
Error

Yeah, I hope such a connection will be there, but I thought this planned was banned because it turned out to be too expensive?

@ darulez: for the other 0,1% it's nice to understand what's going on in this subforum
Old March 1st, 2008, 08:56 PM   #879
cees
billieron

Likes (Received): 10

@timon, it's the current extension of the groningen ringroad. plans for the bridge over the ijmeer did never really stopped, never been real plans actually, just visions. within the government in almere it's still actual i guess. but i'm affraid that it will never turn out in something, just like schiphol on sea, maglev, etc
cees no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 09:56 PM   #880
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by cees View Post
@ timon, and chris, i think the a6 a9 connection is not that important, one thing is for sure, almere needs another connection with amsterdam, because of the fragility of only 1 highway wich connects this 'metropole' i think they should restart the project with the bridge over the ij-meer. I think this won't cause that much worries with nimby's, and nature activists cause it only improves enviroment, it's also proven that it will turn out better for water quality at the ijmeer. with the next schale boom of almere. more than 40thousand home's within the next 15 years, this connection will be so important. so how do you guys think on that?
I am against that. The Zeeburger tunnel has reached it's maximum capacity, and can certainly not absorp any more Almere traffic. This is the last part of the A10 that is not fully jammed during rushhours. The problem is that most job centers are south of the IJ river, but most housing north of that, creating mass pressure on the limited number of river crossings during rushhours, which are among the longest of the Netherlands.

With the A6-A9 connection out of sight, the only solution is mass widening of the A1, A4, A6, A9 and A10 motorways, in order to handle the growing traffic from all the housing projects in Almere.

Especially for the A1, which will be the busiest European motorway in the future, with a projected AADT of over 300.000 vehicles a day. You need 12 to 14 lanes to handle that amount of traffic.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands