daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 25th, 2013, 12:49 PM   #8941
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6165

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
I will move though if I get a nice(r) job offer in pretty much any country than here.
So you're applying to jobs abroad? Whereabouts have you been looking?

Road_UK liked this post
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2013, 06:37 PM   #8942
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

A16 Ridderkerk

The A16 motorway in (presumably) the early 1950s at Ridderkerk. The road looks drastically different today, with a stack interchange and 18 lanes. The photo was taken from the old Bolnes - Barendrecht road, looking north.

Photo: Rijkswaterstaat archives

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

snowdog, keokiracer liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 06:46 PM   #8943
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Bureaucracy is far worse here in Holland though. Want to build a garage on YOUR OWN LAND, you still need a permit and it will often be rejected because ''it doesn't fit in the street''. You need a permit for just about everything... You buy expensive land, then have to hire expensive people to design and build it for you... Abroad, you buy a piece of land, build your own house for about 50k euros in total, no nonsense.
For €50'000 you won't get a house of the quality you are used to. Neither will a country, which allows everyone to build on his land what ever he likes, provide you the necessary infrastructure to support your way of life. Wherever you go you have to sacrifice plenty of amenities just to avoid the stringent planning authority of your current home country. Your wish seems Bonkers to me. But then again is every man the artisan of his own fortune.
Old January 25th, 2013, 07:06 PM   #8944
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
For €50'000 you won't get a house of the quality you are used to. Neither will a country, which allows everyone to build on his land what ever he likes, provide you the necessary infrastructure to support your way of life. Wherever you go you have to sacrifice plenty of amenities just to avoid the stringent planning authority of your current home country. Your wish seems Bonkers to me. But then again is every man the artisan of his own fortune.
Perhaps, but I hate the type of housing ''eengezinswoning'' ( but not as much as the old mid density housing like found in the big cities, you know the 4 story high apartments) they usually build in NL, I much prefer standalone houses + a bit of land, even if they are smaller inside.

For example :
http://dom.gratka.pl/tresc/402-86156...56dbe70516a7,1
Is someting I'd love to have, for 60k euro's I won't even get a house here, I can buy a small lot of land for that money in Holland.
Add couple of thousand to build a small concrete road to the garage, some fences, a bit of gardening, and done...

Infrastructure like city heating ( or gas mains) , water, etc... I prefer to be cheaper out and just have my own well, buy gas bottles every so often for cooking, coal or wood for the winter, small electric water heater for taking a shower, etc...

Electricity and broadband is a different matter, they are indeed necessary...

Road infrastructure, yeah, I see your point, but it's far from ideal in NL, countries like Poland are definitely catching up... In PL you have potholes and rut, in NL you have speedbumps, bollards and chicanes, both equally bad for the motorist...

The strict planning authority here creates terrible same looking neighbourhoods, soms like it, some don't, I prefer variation, lots of different standalone houses...

For me to buy a house I'd like in in Holland, I'd need around 200.000 euros at least. I don't particularly need a large house, I just want a standalone house, with a bit of land, a couple of sheds for my junk, a garage for my car, etc...

I am biased though, pretty much my whole family on my mothers side, have all built their own homes to their liking...

I am going a bit offtopic though, perhaps I'll make a thread somewhere else, but the main problem in Holland are the rules and regulations to even the smallest things, how you need a permit to build a small roof for your car or so in your own garden on your own land is taking it too far, or how the municipality can decide whether its ok or not to park your car in your garden ( some neighbourhoods it's not allowed to use your own bloody garden as a driveway, wtf...). I don't see the same kind of nonsense even in the UK ?

Last edited by snowdog; January 25th, 2013 at 07:14 PM.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 07:06 PM   #8945
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A7 Afsluitdijk

The Afsluitdijk (enclosure dam). Date unknown, possibly 1950s.

Old January 25th, 2013, 08:09 PM   #8946
crimio
Romania

Likes (Received): 550

In Holland are the best motorways from Europe!
crimio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2013, 11:21 PM   #8947
KRX_69
Amaro

Likes (Received): 4385

Nice pictures
Old January 26th, 2013, 05:31 PM   #8948
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A2 Best

An ecoduct across the A2 at Best, just north of Eindhoven. This part of the motorway is currently being widened to 2x3 lanes.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

snowdog liked this post
Old January 26th, 2013, 09:13 PM   #8949
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

It's shaped like a dog's bone. Not that the animals will notice, or care.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2013, 09:42 PM   #8950
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

I find it funny that both humans and animals have traffic separated lanes

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2013, 10:36 PM   #8951
EPA001

Likes (Received): 5841

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The A16 motorway in (presumably) the early 1950s at Ridderkerk. The road looks drastically different today, with a stack interchange and 18 lanes. The photo was taken from the old Bolnes - Barendrecht road, looking north.

Photo: Rijkswaterstaat archives
Fantastic picture. But seeing the curve in the A16 I would think we are looking in the southern direction. But the shadows tell the story that the direction is good. I have a very hard time finding the exact spot where this picture was taken.
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan
EPA001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2013, 10:49 PM   #8952
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Approximately here. This viaduct was at the place where the Ridderkerk-Noord stack currently is. The bridge this pic was taken from, doesn't exist aymore.
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 12:35 PM   #8953
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It was taken from this bridge, A16 curves a bit to the right there. The map is dated 1958. The bridge was likely demolished in the late 1960s when A15 was constructed.

Old January 27th, 2013, 01:07 PM   #8954
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

Jeee, looks a little different now!

Last edited by da_scotty; January 27th, 2013 at 04:53 PM.
da_scotty no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2013, 04:34 PM   #8955
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A2/A67 Leenderheide interchange

An aerial photo of the A2/A67 Leenderheide interchange, looking north. This interchange was rebuilt between 2006 and 2010, allowing a free-flow bypass of A2 traffic. Prior to reconstruction, only east-west traffic across A67 was free-flow.

Photo: Rijkswaterstaat archive

keokiracer, snowdog liked this post
Old January 27th, 2013, 06:59 PM   #8956
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N62 Sluiskil Tunnel

The boring of the Sluiskil Tunnel near Terneuzen has started today. They assembled the tunnel boring machine in late 2012 and commenced boring today at 3 p.m. It will take approximately 110 days to bore the first (northern) tube, after which the southern tube will be bored after the summer in approximately 95 days. This is only the third bored road tunnel in the Netherlands. It's a relatively short tunnel with a length of 1.3 kilometers.

The tunnel is part of the project to widen all of N62 in Zeeland to a 2x2 expressway.

Old January 28th, 2013, 12:02 AM   #8957
Kaaskop
Netherlands

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverworld View Post
Unfortunately with every government measure the future is sacrificed to maintain some short term generosity, instead of realizing and accepting that the past age is gone. There is no population increase anymore, the number of working people as a ratio of old and young people will decrease.
Actually, this is incorrect. The CBS forecasts an population growth of a million the coming twenty years. You are correct about the old and young ratio, though this will reach is peak around 2040 and decrease afterwards.
(http://www.cbs.nl/NR/rdonlyres/DB34C...ngerwerken.pdf)

By the way, The Netherlands is way below the EU average if it comes to ageing.
(http://www.nationaalkompas.nl/bevolk...nternationaal/)

Quote:
There's a reason the Netherlands is currently doing very badly in all kind of peer tests. Purchasing Power Parity, consumer confidence, growth prospects and figures, you name it. The only thing in which we are leading is effective tax rate.
Yes, there is indeed a reason: global economic stagnation.

Very badly? Compared to a few years ago: yes. Compared to other European nations: no. The Netherlands still has one of the most healthy economies of Europe. For example, The Netherlands is one of only four AAA rated Euro-nations, has one of the lowest public debts in the EU, a huge trade surplus, one of the lowest unemployment rates, the highest human development index of the EU (third in the world), and so on. The only factor that's a bit lagging behind is the private consumption.

Quote:
The government is like a driver trying to maintain a constant speed with a stopped engine. On a downhill slope you can keep it up for a while, sacrificing height, but eventually they will reach rock bottom.
What do you propose? Should the government increase its spendings? Japan tried that during the nineties after their economy was caught in a recession. It didn't work out quite well: the Japanese economy never fully recovered and their public debt to GDP ratio reached 230% (compared to 65% in The Netherlands). I'm not trying to say that the Dutch government is doing the right thing, I'm just trying to state that it this isn't a simple issue. Even among the most respected economists there is a lot of disagreement.

Quote:
As a result I shall emigrate as soon as possible.
Your choice. To what nation by the way?

Last edited by Kaaskop; January 28th, 2013 at 12:32 AM.
Kaaskop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2013, 12:11 AM   #8958
Kaaskop
Netherlands

Quote:
Yep, highly disappointing and stupid, infra projects are very profitable investments generally ( excluding 2 big rail investments recently haha) !

I'm actually thinking to emigrate for other reasons, too many old people for to few young is the cause, but the reasons that make me want to leave are mainly the rules and regulations that come from that, the time of freedom is long gone... The whole municipal layer of management is unnecessary imo, 75% of the APV in the average municipality can be scrapped imo... Combine that with extremely inflated real estate and land prices...

For the price of a ****hole appartement here, you get a massive villa and piece of land in Spain or Poland...
See my post above, ageing in the Netherlands is way below the EU-average.

By the way, according to the so-called "World Freedom Index 2013" the Netherlands ended second if it comes to freedom. Only New Zealand scored better.

http://www.fraserinstitute.org/uploa...-the-world.pdf
Old January 28th, 2013, 12:23 AM   #8959
Kaaskop
Netherlands

Quote:
For the price of a ****hole appartement here, you get a massive villa and piece of land in Spain or Poland...
Depends. Apartments in Warsaw can be very costly. For example, this 80 square meter apartment costs 440.000 Euros:
http://www.mamdom.com/apartment-fors...scie-30688.htm

On the other hand, this free standing house in The Netherlands costs only 89.000 euros:
http://www.funda.nl/koop/holwerd/hui...rnaarderdyk-1/

Comparing apples to oranges.
Old January 28th, 2013, 04:53 AM   #8960
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaaskop View Post
Depends. Apartments in Warsaw can be very costly. For example, this 80 square meter apartment costs 440.000 Euros:
http://www.mamdom.com/apartment-fors...scie-30688.htm

On the other hand, this free standing house in The Netherlands costs only 89.000 euros:
http://www.funda.nl/koop/holwerd/hui...rnaarderdyk-1/

Comparing apples to oranges.
'
Still no own land, garage, etc...

I don't like the style either, but that's nitpicking I guess, I just don't like the
NL&UK style brick housing... And it's in Friesland, a bit far from everything.

Quote:
See my post above, ageing in the Netherlands is way below the EU-average.

By the way, according to the so-called "World Freedom Index 2013" the Netherlands ended second if it comes to freedom. Only New Zealand scored better.

http://www.fraserinstitute.org/uploa...-the-world.pdf
It depends on what freedom, yeah you can smoke a joint here, or be gay, or whatever. Those things don't apply to me though, if I start buying up cars ( my hobby) and working on them in my yard, the neighbours or the government would complain, that is not a problem I'd have there, my family all have their own land and can do whatever they like on it, nobody would care, here we have a big front yard I'd love to use as a driveway, but the Gemeente Capelle ad IJssel, won't give us the rights to do that , nor would most of the people here like it, it's a different culture, people here like to complain about everything... NIMBY is far worse here, and the municipality has too many rules for just about everything, because of some problems from a minority you aren't even allowed to drink a beer in many streets around here!

Quote:

Your choice. To what nation by the way?
I thought about moving to Poland, but I don't like the influence of the church there, but having two nationalities, it would give little trouble to move to there ( I've never lived there being born in the NL but I hold the Polish nationality too), then again, I've not 100% liked it there either... But to summerise, I like the NL atm more than PL, but the NL have been moving in the wrong direction for the past couple of years now imho ( PvdA, SP and GL influence), while PL has been moving in the rigth direction. It'll probably take PL 10-15 more years till I'd seriously consider living there. But if I'd get a nice internship for my study there, I'd gladly move there temporarily, see how it is to live there now for half a year.

In NL, I have my parents in Rotterdam and Capelle ad IJssel, I'd be looking for something in the area of that, the cheapest house I liked was 197k near Strijen...

In PL, I have family living in Warsaw, Lublin and Garwolin, anything near that is fine too...

As I said, I'm biased because most of my family there have built beautiful houses for themselves ( my mothers side, rural areas near Garwolin) or live the the heart of Warsaw in bigger appartements than we live here ( fathers side).
Aside from that, I'd love to move to Canada, seems like a nice country for me. I considered the US but they seem to backwards politically still, I'm very right winged compared to the average Dutch, but I still think The Republicans there are a bunch of morons, and the Democrats should be far more liberal still... The UK seems nice in a way too, somewhere in the north, but the UK also has an odd political climate imho.

About Motorways here, I find it a shame the government doesn't see (the PvdA side) how new roads are a good investment, especially with the congestion going on here. And how they go bonkers protecting small bits of grassland used for nothing but cows. It's almost easier to build roads here in an urban area politics wise than in rural cowland, which is a shame imo...

Last edited by snowdog; January 28th, 2013 at 05:09 AM.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands