daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 11th, 2013, 06:28 PM   #9021
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

That road will become very busy when the new Meerenakkerweg interchange with the Eindhoven Beltway is constructed.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2013, 11:15 AM   #9022
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 754

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
Purely aesthetic reasons surely ? Has no advantage over 2 viaducts ??

Also, why are there traffic lights on the road going up when it's only for the couple of buildings located there ? Surely raffic is WAY to small to justify traffic lights ?
Here's some context with respect to the location
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Auto+V...therlands&z=15
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2013, 04:03 PM   #9023
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

I've looked over the location myself.

Quote:
n the new Meerenakkerweg interchange with the Eindhoven Beltway is constructed.
Still doen't justify traffic lights for the 2 side roads imho, there are 4 companies there, do they really justify a loss of 30sec-1 minute for every car on the Heistraat ?

They'd make sense if the Zoom road was connected to the neighborhood, otherwise it seems a bit pointless ?
Traffic lights are being plumped down way too soon, I regret the growth of the amount of traffic lights everywhere!
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2013, 04:07 PM   #9024
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

I would expect those traffic lights being activated by vehicles on minor roads

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2013, 06:18 PM   #9025
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A50 Ewijk Waal River Bridge

The main span of the second Ewijk Waal River cable-stayed bridge is almost completed. It has the second longest main span of the Netherlands at 270 meters, though is pretty irrelevant on a world scale (the largest cable-stayed bridge in the world has a main span of more than 1000 meters).

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

snowdog, Atmosphere liked this post
Old February 12th, 2013, 08:59 PM   #9026
ChrisZwolle
Road user

IJssel River bridges, Zwolle

There are three bridges that span the IJssel River at Zwolle. The southernmost is a railway bridge, the other two are road bridges. Shown in this photo are the Katerveer Bridge, opened 1930 and the new IJssel River Bridge, opened 1970. Approximately 150 000 vehicles per day cross the river here.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

snowdog, CitoyenNéerlandais liked this post
Old February 12th, 2013, 10:03 PM   #9027
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That road will become very busy when the new Meerenakkerweg interchange with the Eindhoven Beltway is constructed.
I found an aerial photo of where the new interchange will be constructed. It will only give access to the local lanes (numbered N2), not the express lanes (A2). Also notice the bridge already has space for 2x3 lanes along A2.

snowdog liked this post
Old February 13th, 2013, 12:54 PM   #9028
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A4 Ringvaart Aquaduct

The old Ringvaart Aquaduct, opened in 1961 as the first aquaduct in the Netherlands. It was originally used in both directions.

The second Ringvaart Aquaduct, opened in 2010. Expandable to 5 lanes with left and right shoulders.

keokiracer, snowdog liked this post
Old February 13th, 2013, 03:07 PM   #9029
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Infrastructure fund budget cut

The minister of transportation has been given the task to cut € 6.4 billion out of the infrastructure fund until 2028.

These budget cuts are divided by modality as follows;

* roads € 3.43 billion
* railways: € 2.03 billion
* waterways: € 0.45 billion
* regional projects: € 0.46 billion

The bulk of the budget cuts consist of postponing investments. This means the projects will still be constructed, but later. Most of the fund dedication after 2021 has not been chosen yet, so there is room to postpone projects. About 10% of the budget cuts are actual scrapped projects.

These scrapped road projects are;

* N23 Hoorn - Kampen (second phase)
* A6 Aquaduct Scharsterrijn
* A67 Leenderheide - Geldrop (second phase)
* A67 no-regret investment (minor tweaks)
* N35 Wijthmen - Nijverdal upgrade
* N50 Kampen - Kampen-Zuid widening 2x2

keokiracer liked this post

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; February 13th, 2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old February 13th, 2013, 04:11 PM   #9030
Batavier
"Covfefe" ??? Enjoy!

Likes (Received): 839

I think that the province of Overijssel is hit quite hard by these budget cuts. N50, N35 are both in the province, and the N23 cuts has indirect effects on their infrastructure.
Batavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2013, 05:00 PM   #9031
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I think it's a tactical move. Schultz knows Overijssel province has a lot of money to spend because they sold their utility companies a few years ago. Several provinces have sold energy suppliers to Swedish Vattenfall a few years ago, and this generated a couple of billion euros. That is also why you see these large provincial road investments in Overijssel and Noord-Brabant, amongst others.

Overijssel province should acquire the N35 as a provincial road if they are willing to upgrade it to a 2x2 expressway in my opinion. The national government gives very little priority to this road, which is the single most important road for intraprovincial travel in Overijssel.
Old February 13th, 2013, 08:09 PM   #9032
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N421 Houten

The Council of State has rejected all appeals against the construction of the 3 kilometer long provincial road N421 and the new Houten interchange along A12 east of Utrecht. Construction will begin this year and the new interchange and N421 will open late 2014 or early 2015.

Here's a render of the new interchange, which can only be driven to and from Utrecht.
image hosted on flickr
Old February 13th, 2013, 08:40 PM   #9033
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N31 Leeuwarden Bypass

Construction of the N31 Leeuwarden Bypass becomes quite visible in the field now. It will be a 100 km/h 2x2 expressway including 1 aquaduct (and another one in the western entrance of Leeuwarden, which is built simultaneously). Leeuwarden is the capital and largest city of Friesland (Fryslân) province.

1. Werpsterhoek interchange (A32/N31)

2. Wirdum interchange

3. Western entrance of Leeuwarden (city to the left)

4. N31 / western entrance interchange

snowdog, keokiracer, bleetz liked this post
Old February 13th, 2013, 10:37 PM   #9034
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The Council of State has rejected all appeals against the construction of the 3 kilometer long provincial road N421 and the new Houten interchange along A12 east of Utrecht. Construction will begin this year and the new interchange and N421 will open late 2014 or early 2015.
Video:

Max speed limit of 80 km/h
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 11:15 PM   #9035
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

When the N31 is finished. Will it be faster to take N31/A31 than to go all the way on A7 from Groningen to Afsluitdijk?
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 11:44 PM   #9036
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
When the N31 is finished. Will it be faster to take N31/A31 than to go all the way on A7 from Groningen to Afsluitdijk?
Doubt it. N31 maintains a 100 kph limit, A7 is 130 most of the way.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2013, 01:42 PM   #9037
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A2 Martinus Nijhoff Bridge

The Martinus Nijhoff Bridge spans the Waal River. It's a cable-stayed bridge with a main span of 256 meter, fairly minor by European standards, but it's among the largest cable-stayed bridges in the Netherlands.

The photo was taken in 2007, during the removal of the original bridge from 1933. It had 4 lanes with no median barrier and was arguably the worst bottleneck of the 1990s. It was replaced by the current bridge only in 1996.

snowdog liked this post
Old February 17th, 2013, 09:48 PM   #9038
ChrisZwolle
Road user

New Waal River Bridge, Nijmegen

A new bridge across the Waal River is currently under construction in the city of Nijmegen. It is actually the largest bridge in the Netherlands in terms of main span, at 285 meters, just 5 meters longer than the Van Brienenoord Bridge in Rotterdam.

The main span is an arch and is constructed at a nearby site, and will be shipped into position this spring. The arch is 60 meters tall above the bridge deck, from water to top is about 75 meters at normal water levels. It may be the tallest arch bridge in the Netherlands, but statistics are not readily available.

image hosted on flickr

DSC_0052 by jeroenvanlieshout, on Flickr

julesstoop, snowdog liked this post
Old February 18th, 2013, 01:05 AM   #9039
EPA001

Likes (Received): 5841

That is some City Bridge! It is remarkable that this project seems to be not capturing any headline at all. But it is a very nice bridge to see. I like arches in bridges, they have a more classic look and feel then most modern bridges.
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan
EPA001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2013, 12:07 PM   #9040
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Wilhelmina Canal Bridge, Tilburg

This is suburbanists' turf. This bridge spans the Wilhelmina Canal in western Tilburg. It's part of the old beltway. The bicycle bridge was installed a couple of years ago. 4-lane undivided roads are rather uncommon in the Netherlands.

The new beltway opened last year and contains another bridge across the Wilhelmina Canal, about 4 kilometers west of the above bridge. It has 2x2 lanes and a cable-stayed bridge for some kind of eco crossing.

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; February 20th, 2013 at 12:13 PM.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands