daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old April 3rd, 2013, 06:02 PM   #9161
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,615
Likes (Received): 19411

A2 Utrecht

I took some photos of A2 in Utrecht last weekend. The A2 has 10 lanes with a local-express configuration. All 10 lanes are through lanes. There are some wider segments with 14 - 16 lanes.

1. A2 just north of the Leidsche Rijn Tunnel.
image hosted on flickr

A2 Utrecht-1 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

2. The Leidsche Rijn Tunnel, which is 1650 meters long and opened in 2012.
image hosted on flickr

A2 Utrecht-2 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

3. Some weird screen across the southbound lanes of A2.
image hosted on flickr

A2 Utrecht-3 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

4. Traffic along A2.
image hosted on flickr

A2 Utrecht-4 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

5. Let's get position on a higher vantage point.
image hosted on flickr

A2 Utrecht-5 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

6. This is one of the 14-lane segments, where a 2-lane on-ramp continues as a 2-lane off-ramp.
image hosted on flickr

A2 Utrecht-6 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

7. Traffic was not very heavy on Easter Sunday. The AADT in this segment is circa 200 000 vehicles per day.
image hosted on flickr

A2 Utrecht-7 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

8. An overview of A2.
image hosted on flickr

A2 Utrecht-8 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
__________________

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

snowdog, makaveli6, keokiracer liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 3rd, 2013, 09:50 PM   #9162
da_scotty
Registered User
 
da_scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Oss/Delft
Posts: 3,359
Likes (Received): 792

I believe the weird screens are there to block the sunlight enetering the tunnel, potentially blinding drivers.
__________________
Student at Delft University of Technology specializing in Transport & Infrastructure and Airport Design.
da_scotty está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 05:23 PM   #9163
Suburbanist
on the road
 
Suburbanist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: the rain capital of Europe
Posts: 27,536
Likes (Received): 21249

Congestion Index by TomTom

TomTom calculated a "congestion index" for Dutch cities



Translation of column titles:
Congestion
Morning peak
Afternoon peak
Highway
Non-highway
__________________
YIMBY - Yes, in my backyard!
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 05:26 PM   #9164
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,615
Likes (Received): 19411

Dutch cities are too small to make a realistic comparison between cities. Groningen has like 3 kilometers of motorway within city limits (A28), which ends at a traffic light controlled intersection, so it's not surprising their motorway congestion is the worst.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 05:36 PM   #9165
Slagathor
Gay love is love too
 
Slagathor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Hague
Posts: 8,464
Likes (Received): 6164

That's true but the high ranking of The Hague doesn't surprise me tbh. This is probably the most congested city out of the G3.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 05:50 PM   #9166
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,615
Likes (Received): 19411

Yep, like most coastal cities, The Hague does not have a proper ring road. Considering that most of the city was built-out before the automobile era, their road network is also not of particularly high standard. The city is very dependent on A12 and A4.

However, some improvements will come to The Hague. It is planned to widen A4 with additional bypasses so local traffic is separated from through traffic.

Additionally, they are planning a tunnel extension of A13 into the city, which will reduce the reliance of A12 as the single high-standard route into the city. Additionally, N221 along the southwestern side of the city will be widened and upgraded with interchanges. Grade-separation is also planned for N14 and S106, which means the amount of high-standard zubringers to the city will increase from 1 to 4.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #9167
maral
Registered User
 
maral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Groningen Badstratenbuurt
Posts: 4,944
Likes (Received): 936

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Dutch cities are too small to make a realistic comparison between cities. Groningen has like 3 kilometers of motorway within city limits (A28), which ends at a traffic light controlled intersection, so it's not surprising their motorway congestion is the worst.
Isn't all combined? Motorways, city roads etc...
Says nothing about traffic jam's btw, just that the delay is 21% bigger than on a sunday evening. Maybe you can drive through Groningen with some delay but without a jam weekdays, but on a sunday night you can drive almost as fast as you want through Groningen, very quit. That difference is quite big, as it is in most city's i gues, but maybe even bigger in Groningen than in the city's in the 'randstad'.
maral no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 07:49 PM   #9168
Suburbanist
on the road
 
Suburbanist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: the rain capital of Europe
Posts: 27,536
Likes (Received): 21249

Groningen lacks through routes like the ones we have in Leeuwarden or, say, Lelystad.

Is lacks a ring highway as well.
__________________
YIMBY - Yes, in my backyard!
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 08:01 PM   #9169
KIWIKAAS
Registered User
 
KIWIKAAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: The Hague
Posts: 4,522
Likes (Received): 753

Groningen has a ring route. A good one too
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 08:04 PM   #9170
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL
 
keokiracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Halsteren (NL)
Posts: 3,675
Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWIKAAS View Post
A good one too
The southern part of the Ring hasn't got enough capacity and a ridiculously low speed limit, but besdes that Groningen does have a pretty good ringroad.
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 08:04 PM   #9171
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,615
Likes (Received): 19411

Nearly all of the Groningen ring road will be grade-separated by 2020.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 09:06 PM   #9172
maral
Registered User
 
maral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Groningen Badstratenbuurt
Posts: 4,944
Likes (Received): 936

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
The southern part of the Ring hasn't got enough capacity and a ridiculously low speed limit, but besdes that Groningen does have a pretty good ringroad.
Wont change much on new 'Ring Zuid', from 70 km/h now, 80 in new situation in 2020
maral no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2013, 11:59 PM   #9173
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,615
Likes (Received): 19411

A4 Steenbergen

New aerial photos of A4 around Steenbergen.

>>>click<<<

__________________

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Suburbanist liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2013, 02:15 AM   #9174
flierfy
Registered User
 
flierfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,886
Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Yep, like most coastal cities, The Hague does not have a proper ring road. Considering that most of the city was built-out before the automobile era, their road network is also not of particularly high standard. The city is very dependent on A12 and A4.
You should take off your car-centric glasses for once and realise that Dutch roads in general are of a high standard. One of the highest in world in fact. It is therefore wrong to assess the roads of den Haag as 'not of particularly high standard' just because they don't provide the capacity that motorists wished to have.
__________________
Rippachtal.de
flierfy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2013, 07:24 AM   #9175
Suburbanist
on the road
 
Suburbanist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: the rain capital of Europe
Posts: 27,536
Likes (Received): 21249

Den Haag lacks a "highway to the Ocean". A12 should joing A44 from Wassenaar (which should be fully graded separated) and then there should be a connection with Schevenigen strand.
__________________
YIMBY - Yes, in my backyard!
Suburbanist está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2013, 08:40 AM   #9176
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL
 
keokiracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Halsteren (NL)
Posts: 3,675
Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
You should take off your car-centric glasses for once and realise that Dutch roads in general are of a high standard. One of the highest in world in fact.
You just assume that everything is compared on a world level, but if you compare it on a national level, The Hague has roads not of particularly high standard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
It is therefore wrong to assess the roads of den Haag as 'not of particularly high standard' just because they don't provide the capacity that motorists wished to have.
Umm... Isn't that really what you're measuring, whether there's enough capacity?
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2013, 09:01 AM   #9177
snowdog
Speed freak
 
snowdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Capelle ad ijssel
Posts: 969
Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
You should take off your car-centric glasses for once and realise that Dutch roads in general are of a high standard. One of the highest in world in fact. It is therefore wrong to assess the roads of den Haag as 'not of particularly high standard' just because they don't provide the capacity that motorists wished to have.
I disagree. The main roads are good yeah, anything not designated as a ''through road'' is a shameful speedbump & chicane ridden narrow nightmare.

Aside from that it just has a silly amount of traffic lights and little fly-overs... Your average speed travelling NE to SW through the city is appalling! The situation is improving though with the S200...

Also a road that is stuck with traffic a lot of the time is not of high standard, high standard is: Safety, average speed to traverse and damage to your car... Roads in the Hague and generally roads in Holland score very badly on the last 2 thanks to ''duurzaam veilig''... All this terrible ''traffic calming'' is a killer for your suspension, average speed, and also your fuel economy! The through roads are an exception, outside of peak hours they allow for relaxed quick driving from A to B.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2013, 03:05 PM   #9178
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,615
Likes (Received): 19411

Wildlife crossing

Some provincial roads in Overijssel have signalized wildlife crossings. Because ecoducts are often too expensive, they resorted to a different measure, a wildlife crossing. The roadsides are fenced off, except a designated area which has lasers which detect wildlife that is going to cross the road. This in turn activates a warning system and lowers the speed limit from 80 to 50 km/h.

I drove across N346 Lochem - Goor this morning, and witnessed the system activation. I did not see any wildlife though.

image hosted on flickr

wildoversteek N346 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

wildoversteek N346-2 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
__________________

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

keokiracer liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2013, 03:14 PM   #9179
Slagathor
Gay love is love too
 
Slagathor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Hague
Posts: 8,464
Likes (Received): 6164

No dear in his right mind is getting anywhere near that road when it's that busy.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2013, 11:03 PM   #9180
piotr71
Registered User
 
piotr71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Beskidy
Posts: 4,300

Quote:

Source
Amazing lane discipline.
__________________
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium