daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 23rd, 2013, 09:52 AM   #9241
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Just some minor rain and a LOT of incidents.
For instance there's some styrofoam on the A12 westbound near Gouda. 2 lanes closed, 22 km traffic jam behind it.
The Rotterdam area is gridlocked due to multiple incidents etc.
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 23rd, 2013, 10:12 AM   #9242
JB1981

Likes (Received): 22

TomTom also has a different way of measuring traffic jams than the "traditional" channels such as the ANWB you hear on the radio. The top-10 snow jams were somewhere between 800-1000 kms on the radio. TomTom probably counted 3000-4000 kms or more.
JB1981 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 10:18 AM   #9243
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I thought these satnavs use RMC radio frequencies...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 10:20 AM   #9244
JB1981

Don't know, I thought the modern ones use GPRS.

But with "on the radio" I was referring to the spoken bulletins every half hour or so .
Old April 23rd, 2013, 10:38 AM   #9245
kosimodo
Mapmaker

Likes (Received): 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I thought these satnavs use RMC radio frequencies...
Nope.. thats the old fashioned way...

I drive with HD traffic and the accuracy is more then stunning.

Old April 23rd, 2013, 02:02 PM   #9246
EPA001

Likes (Received): 5831

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The 285 meter span of the new Waal River Bridge at Nijmegen will be shipped into position tomorrow. This is one of the largest bridge spans in the Netherlands, and the first of this size that is being shipped into position, rather than constructed on-site. Water levels and wind forecasts are favorable for the operation.

This bridge is not to be confused with the nearby A50 Waal River Bridge that is being constructed a couple of kilometers downstream.
Very nice and impressive pictures. But a small correction is due; the 2nd Van Brienenoordbrug (2 x 3 lanes wide, almost 300 meter long) is surely as large as this bridge in Nijmegen, and was constructed separately in Zwijndrecht at Grootint. And the bridge was shipped to its final location in February 1989.

Here a movie can be seen on the construction of the first, but mostly the second Van Brienenoordbrug.

See: http://www.waterkanaal.nl/index.php?...o&video_id=164
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan

ChrisZwolle, julesstoop liked this post
EPA001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 05:48 PM   #9247
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

A27 Breda - Utrecht

The A27 will be widened after 2016. However, some road works cannot wait another 3 - 4 years, so they will do some renovation in the second week of May. A27 will be closed northbound between Hooipolder (A59) and Gorinchem (A15) interchanges, during the final weekend even up to Everdingen (A2) interchange, a stretch of 39 kilometers.

Timeline;

7-5 2200 - 13-5 0500: Hooipolder - Gorinchem
9-5 2100 - 13-5 0500: Hooipolder - Everdingen

Detour is via A2 and A16. A2 has quite some capacity (2x4), but congestion should still be expected. The A27 carries 80 000 - 95 000 vehicles per day. Half of that (northbound) will be detoured.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2013, 09:25 PM   #9248
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21240

Does this renovation include full repaving?
Old April 24th, 2013, 09:54 AM   #9249
JB1981

My guess is that it will just be patchwork. The A27 is littered with small sections of pavement that have been marked with spraypaint.

Wondering why it has to take a week though. Closures for a week are rare in The Netherlands, but for the A27 this is the second one within two years...
Old April 24th, 2013, 11:48 AM   #9250
ChrisZwolle
Road user

traffic safety

Traffic fatalities in 2012 declined by 1.7% compared to 2011, 650 people were killed on Dutch roadways, or 38 fatalities per 1 million inhabitants (13 per million if we only count car occupants).

Fatalities by road authority;

* municipalities: 60%
* provinces: 21%
* national roads: 16%
* water board roads: 3%

2 people were killed on a motorway with 130 km/h speed limit, both unrelated to the speed limit. One car got into the median and the other crashed with a mobile crane at an on-ramp.

Out of the 650 fatalities, 279 were over the age of 60 and 40 were below the age of 18.

Out of the 650 fatalities, 232 were in a car, 200 on a bicycle, 68 pedestrians, 54 motorcyclists, 44 on a moped, 29 in a low-powered vehicle for disabled people and 12 were in a cargo van. 7 truckers were killed.

Out of the 650 fatalities, 174 occured on roads with a speed limit of 50 km/h, 162 on roads with a speed limit of 80 km/h, 27 at 100 km/h and 39 at 120 km/h.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Slagathor, keokiracer liked this post
Old April 24th, 2013, 12:39 PM   #9251
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Traffic fatalities in 2012 declined by 1.7% compared to 2011, 650 people were killed on Dutch roadways, or 38 fatalities per 1 million inhabitants (13 per million if we only count car occupants).

Fatalities by road authority;

* municipalities: 60%
* provinces: 21%
* national roads: 16%
* water board roads: 3%

2 people were killed on a motorway with 130 km/h speed limit, both unrelated to the speed limit. One car got into the median and the other crashed with a mobile crane at an on-ramp.

Out of the 650 fatalities, 279 were over the age of 60 and 40 were below the age of 18.

Out of the 650 fatalities, 232 were in a car, 200 on a bicycle, 68 pedestrians, 54 motorcyclists, 44 on a moped, 29 in a low-powered vehicle for disabled people and 12 were in a cargo van. 7 truckers were killed.

Out of the 650 fatalities, 174 occured on roads with a speed limit of 50 km/h, 162 on roads with a speed limit of 80 km/h, 27 at 100 km/h and 39 at 120 km/h.
Relatively high number for the bicycles.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 12:56 PM   #9252
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
Relatively high number for the bicycles.
Are you surprised?
Old April 24th, 2013, 01:02 PM   #9253
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The proportion of bicycle fatalities of the total amount is very high. However, the amount of fatalities relative to kilometers cycled compared to other countries is very low.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Surel liked this post
Old April 24th, 2013, 02:02 PM   #9254
Suburbanist
on the road

Some cyclists are very irresponsible on traffic, to degrees we'd not tolerate on car drivers. Things like ignoring traffic lights altogether, not stopping where they are required to, cycling under the influence of alcohol etc. Of course some pedestrians behave the same way, but cycling enhances the danger given the higher speed and no protection (including no helmet).

Some cyclists have allergy to the concept of stopping where required to. God forbid they need to rest on their leg for 15 seconds and start moving again.

In any case, these statistics show once again that traffic segregation is the best solution to achieve lower deaths.

Billly liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 02:46 PM   #9255
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

I have to second that. I live in Delft, a student city, meaning a lot of biking.

Traffic rules are applied by sight, the traffic lights near the railway station for example are only there for show, I have never seen a student halt for them if there was no traffic comming and the lights where red.

Then again, traffic in the Netherlands is so used to biking that some sort of mutual understanding has come to force.
Old April 24th, 2013, 03:03 PM   #9256
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6162

Why would you stop for a red light when there's no other traffic anywhere? What kind of an imbecile would do that?

Billly, Rebasepoiss liked this post
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 03:49 PM   #9257
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Some cyclists are very irresponsible on traffic, to degrees we'd not tolerate on car drivers. Things like ignoring traffic lights altogether, not stopping where they are required to, cycling under the influence of alcohol etc. Of course some pedestrians behave the same way, but cycling enhances the danger given the higher speed and no protection (including no helmet).

Some cyclists have allergy to the concept of stopping where required to. God forbid they need to rest on their leg for 15 seconds and start moving again.

In any case, these statistics show once again that traffic segregation is the best solution to achieve lower deaths.
It's a way of life in the Netherlands. You'll just have to accept it.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 04:06 PM   #9258
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
Why would you stop for a red light when there's no other traffic anywhere? What kind of an imbecile would do that?
I would.
Actually I'm quite surprised to see very high percentage of pedestrians and cyclists not obeying red lights and jaywalking in otherwise very road-safe countries (like Scandinavia, Germany, Benelux) - from my experience I would say that walking or cycling through red light is much more common in West Europe than in East or South.

snowdog, flierfy liked this post
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 04:21 PM   #9259
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6162

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
I would.
Actually I'm quite surprised to see very high percentage of pedestrians and cyclists not obeying red lights and jaywalking in otherwise very road-safe countries (like Scandinavia, Germany, Benelux) - from my experience I would say that walking or cycling through red light is much more common in West Europe than in East or South.
Traffic lights regulate traffic ergo when there is no traffic they serve no purpose. One day many decades from now you're gonna be on your death bed and you're gonna regret all that time you wasted waiting for noone.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 04:53 PM   #9260
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
It's a way of life in the Netherlands. You'll just have to accept it.
This way of life just killed 200 cyclists last year...

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands