daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 21st, 2013, 03:48 PM   #9381
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

I thought it was there.S omewhere near Muiden was the only logical place. I've never driven there before
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 21st, 2013, 04:07 PM   #9382
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

The 2012 traffic fatality rate in municipalities with more than 100.000 inhabitants:

(Dordrecht had no fatalities in 2012).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2013, 04:37 PM   #9383
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A50 Ewijk Waal River Bridge

The second Waal River Bridge (A50) at Ewijk (near Nijmegen) opened to southbound traffic this morning. Northbound traffic will use it on Thursday, after which the old bridge will be jacked up and renovated.

There was an open day yesterday, which attracted 6.000 people, apparently much more than they anticipated.

image hosted on flickr

DSC_0114 by jeroenvanlieshout, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

snowdog, Luki_SL liked this post
Old May 23rd, 2013, 06:02 PM   #9384
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Exit Moordrecht on the A20

Just a nice example of how complete rubbish the infrastructure is around exit Moordrecht on the A20:

19 minutes of delay on the A20, and 20+ minutes coming from Gouda or Moordrecht..

https://maps.google.nl/?ll=51.998714...16512&t=h&z=17

I hope the renovation will be done without any delays, sick of that bottleneck.

Last edited by snowdog; May 23rd, 2013 at 06:13 PM.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2013, 04:48 PM   #9385
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A13 - A16 link, Rotterdam

The minister of transportation has decided about the new A13 - A16 link motorway in Rotterdam. The new motorway has a length of circa 10 kilometers and will feature 2x2 lanes with a spatial reservation for 2x3 lanes. A land tunnel will be build to reduce impact on the Rotte area. Additionally, an aquaduct will be built under the Rotte River. Apart from the beginning at A20 and ending at A13, two interchanges serving nearby suburbs will be constructed.

The motorway will provide an alternate route and relief for the A20 motorway, which is the highest volume 2x3 motorway in the Netherlands with 190.000 vehicles per day.

The new road will be constructed with tolls. Only a portion of the entire cost has to be paid with tolls, and the facility will become toll free once the toll part is paid off.

A design-EIS will be published in late 2014 and a final EIS and record of decision by 2015. The goal is to open the road to traffic in 2021.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

snowdog liked this post
Old May 27th, 2013, 04:53 PM   #9386
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Do you think the tolls will be paid anytime soon? The Dutch are not generally known for spending money on things they don't need.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2013, 05:01 PM   #9387
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The forecasted traffic volume on the new link is 90.000 vehicles per day. However, given the tolls, I think half of that is more realistic during the tolling period.

At 45.000 vehicles per day, a toll of € 1.50 will only bring a meager revenue of € 25 million per year.The toll proportion is € 245 million, so it will take 10 years for the motorway to become toll free.

Personally I think this toll road will be a flop. Nobody will use it when A20 has free flow traffic, the distance is about the same, travel time on the new link is likely a minute or two shorter (no turning off at interchanges, about 1 kilometer shorter and a higher speed limit of 100 km/h).

The planned toll roads A15 and A24 are likely more viable than this one. Studies have shown that motorists only make their travel decisions based on out-of-pocket costs, i.e. gas money, not reduced wear and tear due to shorter travel distances and relatively small time savings. The A13-A16 link will only save substantial travel time during rush hour, not the other 18 hours of the day.

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; May 27th, 2013 at 05:10 PM. Reason: toll figures updated
Old May 27th, 2013, 05:11 PM   #9388
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

That's what I was thinking. Congestion on the A20 is only during peak periods. The new road isn't any shorter, and the diversion seems to be too short for people wanting to spend money on it. It's not like the M6 Toll, where by using it could save you up to 45 minutes.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2013, 05:56 PM   #9389
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Do you think the tolls will be paid anytime soon? The Dutch are not generally known for spending money on things they don't need.
Racist.

Road_UK liked this post
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2013, 07:13 PM   #9390
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

How will the tolls be collected?
Shadow toll, a german form of LKW-maut or by a toll plaza?
Old May 27th, 2013, 07:26 PM   #9391
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

I don't see how you can toll a road which has a free parallel one...

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2013, 07:31 PM   #9392
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
I don't see how you can toll a road which has a free parallel one...
In Spain they do that.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2013, 07:33 PM   #9393
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_scotty View Post
How will the tolls be collected?
Shadow toll, a german form of LKW-maut or by a toll plaza?
The exact details are unknown yet, however you can be sure there will be no physical toll plaza. I expect a combination of transponders and ANPR license plate toll.
Old May 27th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #9394
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
In Spain they do that.
With two identical infrastructures? I mean, same category of road, speed limit, signage...

In Venice there's a similar situation, with a toll beltway (A4) and a free city motorway (A57); the system has toll plazas at both ends of A57, and you pay the same for both routes. We call it "iso-toll".
But they actually work together as a system; I don't think Rotterdam's A20 would be "isotolled" to convince drivers to take A16.

Why not simply widen A20, to the advantage of more routes? From sat view there seem to be enough space, apart from a very tight spot between the railway and a channel (but there's space to move the railway, too).
Doesn't come for free, ok, but the Rotte area doesn't seem so cheap to go through, too.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2013, 12:44 AM   #9395
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
That's what I was thinking. Congestion on the A20 is only during peak periods. The new road isn't any shorter, and the diversion seems to be too short for people wanting to spend money on it. It's not like the M6 Toll, where by using it could save you up to 45 minutes.
I hope it will cause some of the rich dwellers from Hillegersberg to use it, Schiebroek&Hillegersberg inhabitants will easily save 15 minutes if not more between 4 and 7pm, because the Terbregseweg and Princess Irene Bridge is jammed every single day.

The local roads near exit 27 have huge delays because of the traffic coming from the A16 going into Hillegersberg.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2013, 10:21 AM   #9396
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2117

Quote:
With two identical infrastructures? I mean, same category of road, speed limit, signage...
Yes. AP-7 and A-7, for instance. Or A-45 and AP-46.

I'll never understand this waste of money.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2013, 11:06 AM   #9397
Advancer

Likes (Received): 23

Still think that the toll will have more benefits if the a13-overschie will be the toll road. Mainly in air qualitiy.
Advancer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2013, 12:04 PM   #9398
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

I'd gladly pay a toll if they build some new highways in Netherlands, such as a Gorichem-Amstelveen-Schiphol link. Or a highway-grade connection between Wassenaar (A44 terminus) and A12 terminus in Den Haag. Or some desperately needed A58 between Tilburg and 's-Hertogenbosch
Old May 28th, 2013, 12:56 PM   #9399
Koesj
Historian

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Why not simply widen A20, to the advantage of more routes? From sat view there seem to be enough space, apart from a very tight spot between the railway and a channel (but there's space to move the railway, too).
Doesn't come for free, ok, but the Rotte area doesn't seem so cheap to go through, too.
Greenfield construction will be much cheaper than fixing the A20. It might seem that there's space left for all kinds of stuff but there really isn't, near exit 19 the freeway's elevated for example.

@Suburbanist: Gorinchem - Schiphol?!? And it's the A65 you mean not A58, and I'm afraid they're going with a stopgap solution for the time being.
Koesj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2013, 01:00 PM   #9400
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I'd gladly pay a toll if they build some new highways in Netherlands, such as a Gorichem-Amstelveen-Schiphol link. Or a highway-grade connection between Wassenaar (A44 terminus) and A12 terminus in Den Haag. Or some desperately needed A58 between Tilburg and 's-Hertogenbosch
Only one of those makes sense, I'll let you figure out which.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands