daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 3rd, 2013, 04:23 PM   #9421
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19427

A79 Maastricht - Heerlen

I recorded the A79 motorway between Maastricht and Heerlen in southern Netherlands this weekend:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

roata liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2013, 07:53 PM   #9422
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Rotterdamsebaan Tunnel, The Hague

The municipality of Den Haag (The Hague) published the design-zoning plan for the construction of the Rotterdamsebaan, a 2x2 urban arterial which runs mostly underground in an 1860 meter long bored tunnel. It is one of the largest municipal road projects ever undertaken in the Netherlands. The tunnel will run to -28 meters at the lowest point.

The project cost is € 565 million excluding VAT, of which the national government pays € 295 million, including VAT. Construction is planned for 2016-2019.

[img]http://i42.************/dqoscw.jpg[/img]

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

snowdog liked this post
Old June 3rd, 2013, 08:02 PM   #9423
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Just of out curiosity: based on Dutch modern tunneling experiences, what's the minimum depth at which you can bore a tunnel under a builinding's foundations, without endangering it?

Of course, that depends on the type of terrain you find.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2013, 08:09 PM   #9424
ChrisZwolle
Road user

According to the zoning plan, 16 meters below ground level offers enough support for a bored tunnel without having subsidences or ground water pushing the tunnel upwards. All soil types are feasible to bore through, though they prefer to bore through just one type of soil because of how the earth is transported out of the tunnel boring machine. They will use the slurry shield process due to the soft soil and ground water.

Vertical profile of the tunnel:
Old June 4th, 2013, 12:53 AM   #9425
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPA001 View Post
Yes, but the A16-A13 bypass will offer even much more relief. With those two new connections in place (2015 and 2020?), which will be realised only 60 years later then planned, the A20 and A13 from the Airport to the Kleinpolderplein, will have sufficient capacity to cope with the traffic.
In theory, yeah.
1: I'll believe it when I see the road being built. The current government is not making itself popular, I suspect a different government next elections, who might cancel out any infrastructure plans.
2: If the road was free, yes, but I don't think many people will, for the sake of €1,50, use the new link instead of the free old road...
I think 40.000 cars per day would even be an achievement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
What if there's a breakdown?
Are you deliberately trolling now ?

The exact same as anywhere else with shoulder running or no shoulders. We are talking about less than 1 km that causes a huge problem...
The A13 nearby also doesn't have shoulders for 1.1km.

Last edited by snowdog; June 4th, 2013 at 12:58 AM.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2013, 11:18 AM   #9426
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 806

Quote:
Originally Posted by postHUMANproject View Post
If you're willing to skip Crooswijk westbound, there would be enough space to make spitsstroken up to centrum exit.

The new A4 will offer some relief at this point.

Shoulders are a quite rare and dangerous event already at this small stretch. A wider Rozenlaanpassage would improve the situation dramatically (no wb entrance even more).
How about removing all exits between Kleinpolderplein and Terbregseplein and vice-versa? This would surely improve traffic flow significantly and also most traffic from A13 with destination Rotterdam would not go on the A20 at all, reducing the congestion further.

If you then try to add rush hour lanes where possible I think the current A20 could do without upgrades.
Old June 4th, 2013, 11:51 AM   #9427
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6169

Why don't we just remove all the exits between my house and my office. That would surely improve my traffic flow. I mean the traffic flow.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2013, 12:29 PM   #9428
postHUMANproject

The art of exaggeration in full effect

I did some proposals to upgrade this difficult and very congested part of our highwaysystem, without costly intervetions. The A13-A16 connection awaits in the fridge, and there is little hope we can drive here within 10 yrs. The Crooswijk entrance has little use, since there is an entrance half a kilometer away. I live right in between those two, and am a heavy user of both. I care little when peepz from The Hague or Amsterdam start to whine about an entrance in Crooswijk, lol.
postHUMANproject no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2013, 12:52 PM   #9429
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Quote:

The art of exaggeration a joke in full effect
Fixed.
Old June 4th, 2013, 01:37 PM   #9430
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
The A13-A16 connection awaits in the fridge, and there is little hope we can drive here within 10 yrs.
It's not "in the fridge", but is actively planned. They are currently making the design EIS, to be published in early 2014.
Old June 4th, 2013, 10:56 PM   #9431
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N281 Heerlen

A drive across the N281 urban expressway in the city of Heerlen. This road used to have motorway status and used to be numbered A281.

Old June 5th, 2013, 12:28 AM   #9432
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:

The art of exaggeration in full effect

I did some proposals to upgrade this difficult and very congested part of our highwaysystem, without costly intervetions. The A13-A16 connection awaits in the fridge, and there is little hope we can drive here within 10 yrs. The Crooswijk entrance has little use, since there is an entrance half a kilometer away. I live right in between those two, and am a heavy user of both. I care little when peepz from The Hague or Amsterdam start to whine about an entrance in Crooswijk, lol.
I'm not sure, there are quite a lot of cars joining ( causing a minor slowdown to 50km/h westbound at Crooswijk during a couple of hours a day), it's also contributing towards the (very limited) accessibility of Hillegersberg/Schiebroek.

Can exit Centrum handle the Crooswijk exit traffic ? It's quite full there as it is sometimes, besides, westbound traffic would become a bit of a chaos, due to the weaving after Centrum, you have to go 2 lanes left through heavy traffic ( going to the A13) if you need to go in the Vlaardingen/Hoogvliet direction. I barely ever use Crooswijk because I come from the Alexander area, but I can totally see it's use. Afrit centrum is not exactly the best capacity wise, and Hillegersberg is quite poor to reach.

I think, at least eastbound, there should be shoulder running or the exits connected for that 1 km.
Westbound I'm not exactly sure, since the problem is the area between Centrum and Kleinpolderplein, it might make create a worse bottleneck.

Ignoring Terbregge of course with 5 lanes ( or 6 if you count the trucks) of traffic merging into three.

I'm hoping with the A15 widening and A4 extention, that some through traffic will use that link instead of clogging up the A20, but the A16-A13 link is the only real solution to the area, preferably toll free.

Quote:
How about removing all exits between Kleinpolderplein and Terbregseplein and vice-versa?
This would effectively cut off Schiebroek/Hillegersberg from the motorway, clog up all local roads ( which are already congested in the Kralingen-Crooswijk area), and of course a good link to the center.
There are significant flows of traffic east>center, atm you have three choices of roads with a bit of capacity, use the Hoofdweg&Bosdreef local road, use the A20 exit centrum, or use the A16 and Maasboulevard. All three routes are very busy as they are. Public transport is not really a good option as the P+R parking near Kralingse zoom is always full and the new parking garage is still under construction for a bit.

There are a good 200.000+ people living in eastern Rotterdam and Suburbs like Capelle, Zuidplas, Krimpen, etc... ( outside the ring), and currently 3 possible car routes with 2x2 or better roads, a metro and a train going into the city center for east>center commuters, during rush hours there isn't ANY capacity left, on road or rail, trains and metro's are full to the brim and the roads are clogged. I travel this route daily to uni and to work daily by any means depending on my mood, and the only real stable quick transport is a moped. Cycling takes 30-40 mins easily, as does public transport and car too during busy hours, which is a bit silly for 12 ish kilometers.

During calm hours ( 10am-4pm) there are no major problems, but 7-10am and 4-7pm I can best describe as transport chaos. Remember there are 1.2 million people in the Rotterdam area in total with no significant road projects for the past 20 years ( correct me if I'm wrong) while the population is slightly growing.

Compare that to the A'dam area with 1.4mil inhabitants, which has a double ring road for half around the city, and significant widenings in the past couple of years.

Last edited by snowdog; June 5th, 2013 at 01:07 AM.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2013, 01:46 AM   #9433
Alqaszar
No idea, well an opinion

Likes (Received): 19

@ChrisZwolle: For the A 79 and N 281 vids you should have put on the Nitzs with "In the Dutch mountains" as background music.
Alqaszar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 09:19 AM   #9434
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Beware if you drive in the Netherlands, there is a huge traffic fine hype going on at the moment. The ministry of justice expects a record-breaking € 1.1 billion in traffic fines for 2013. This means the average car owner in the Netherlands has to pay € 100 in fines this year.

The amount of traffic fines is critized by motorist associations and police alike. The police feel they have become a "traffic fine factory", "clearly to fill the government budget" and not traffic safety. Especially section controls generate a lot of money.

Some of the fines have become ridiculously expensive. For example, ignoring a passing ban will cost you € 220, while at the same time they implemented continuous passing bans on virtually al two-lane roads. Just yesterday I had to drive 20 kilometers behind some idiot driving 60 where the limit was 80.

Passing on the right has a fine of € 220. While passing on the right could be slightly dangerous, it is caused chiefly by drivers not respecting the lane discipline, for whom the fine is even lower (€ 130).

Not stopping entirely at a STOP sign also has a fine of € 220. Many STOP signs in the Netherlands are unnecessary, often you can proceed at low speed without the need to come to a full stop. I know plenty of STOP signs where a general "give way" sign would suffice.
Old June 10th, 2013, 10:07 AM   #9435
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21257

I agree that some of the fines are ridiculous, but the passing ban fines make perfect sense. Apart from running red lights and gross overspeeding, it is one of the most dangerous moving violations.
Old June 10th, 2013, 10:41 AM   #9436
Godius
Nitimur in vetitum

Likes (Received): 4069

del

Last edited by Godius; June 10th, 2013 at 10:42 AM. Reason: wrong thread
Godius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 12:23 PM   #9437
Red85
AARRGGHH

Likes (Received): 237

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Today it's 10 years to the day that one of the most significant changes in Dutch road policy became in force. On 2 June 2003, the spoedwet wegverbreding or Urgent Law Road Widening came into effect.

Troubles with air quality delayed most projects however, only a few projects were done in 2003-2007 due to these issues. Since air quality is no longer an issue in the Netherlands, many widenings took off from 2007. Congestion has decreased significantly for the first time ever. More than half of all congestion disappeared by 2012, while traffic volumes remained stable.

Below is a map of roads that have seen expanded capacity between 2003 and 2013. I want to stress that these are not all physical widenings, but also shoulder running, sometimes only in one direction.

Motorways widened 2003-2013:
Then you forget atleast one. The A7 between Zaandam and Purmerend, one way shoulder is added during rushhour.

Should be done to at least 2x3 20 years ago. Direction of Zaandam is every morning the first jam you hear on the radio. 5.30 sometimes!
Red85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 12:29 PM   #9438
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Stuck in a traffic jam at 5.30 in the morning every day... I would rather get a divorce and move, to be honest.
Old June 15th, 2013, 10:57 PM   #9439
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Saw these pictures on FB, 27/05/2013.

I guess this is the spot, right?

There are more:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

snowdog liked this post
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 11:02 PM   #9440
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yes, that is the widening of A15 to 10 lanes. This particular cross-section will get 12 lanes.

Wilhem275, snowdog liked this post

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands