daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 18th, 2013, 10:45 AM   #9541
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I still haven't figured out the difference between Zaandam and Zaanstad...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2013, 11:04 AM   #9542
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Dru View Post
Any idea why they don't use the informal/modern spelling DEN BOSCH instead of 'S-HERTOGENBOSCH, It's quicker to read and it is also use in daily speaking. Like the current road/highway-signs are written as DEN HAAG, but officially it's 'S-GRAVENHAGE.
Den Bosch is not an official name, so that would be like using Roffa instead of Rotterdam or Gorkum instead of Gorinchem.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 11:15 AM   #9543
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post

Den Bosch is not an official name, so that would be like using Roffa instead of Rotterdam or Gorkum instead of Gorinchem.
I thought Rotterdam was Rotjeknor...

Victorinus, stofzuiger liked this post
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2013, 05:25 PM   #9544
Koesj
Historian

Likes (Received): 72

Or 010.
Koesj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2013, 01:00 AM   #9545
julesstoop

Likes (Received): 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I still haven't figured out the difference between Zaandam and Zaanstad...
Zaandam is a town, Zaanstad is a municipality. Zaandam is the biggest and most important town in Zaanstad. Zaanstad is basically a conurbation with Zaandam at the center.
Old July 20th, 2013, 05:23 PM   #9546
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19413

A50 Ewijk Waal River Bridge

Renovation of the 1975 A50 bridge across the Waal River. It's a steel bridge. The renovation cost is € 68 million. It's part of a renovation programme consisting of 14 bridges with a steel deck.

image hosted on flickr

DSC_0038.jpg by jeroenvanlieshout, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSC_0032.jpg by jeroenvanlieshout, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

geometarkv liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2013, 04:05 PM   #9547
egramsb

Likes (Received): 391

A4 Midden Delfland (Delft-Schiedam)

A few pictures of today. More in this thread

Godius, snowdog, geometarkv liked this post
egramsb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2013, 04:11 PM   #9548
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

Question: what was made of all the earth that was excavated from the previous embankment? That is A LOT of earth/sand.
Old July 21st, 2013, 07:01 PM   #9549
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Maybe used for the second Maasvlakte?
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2013, 10:22 PM   #9550
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

Would be difficult, the Maasvlakte 2 ground works were finished before the construction started.

I wouldn't be surprised if they used it to settle/sink in on other stretches of the A4.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 03:41 PM   #9551
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

A4 Halsteren - Dinteloord picture update!

I left the house at 7:15 AM this morning to stay ahead of the heat. Eventually I couldn't escape the heat, from 9 AM it was just so fricken hot... I was home at 11:30 AM
I don't think I've ever cycled that slow
Anyway, here are the pics!

Click here to see alll pictures (with info in Dutch underneath some pics)

The slope towards the bicycle bridge now has a smooth asphalt layer

The bicycle bridge from underneath

2x3 lanes is possible in the future. (The aqueduct u/c a couple of kilometers north has space for 3 lanes and a shoulder per direction )

From the former N259 there is now a junction with a road that runs parallel with the A4 highway for a couple of kms.

Some pics of that parallel road that was recently opened: passing bays are being made:

Between the small village of Klutsdorp and the greenhouses (only greenhouses in the region)

Parallel road with future bridge in the Westlandse Langeweg in the background

I don't think these people are happy with the new A4...

Westlandse Langeweg: looking north

At the Drielindekensdijk:

Future exit Steenbergen (N257)

Aqueduct Steenbergen: looking south

And north (damn you, sun...)

Just north of Steenbergen. The N259 here will go over the A4. Looking northbound

Looking southbound

Bridge over Steenbergsche Vliet (seen from east)

View on top of the bridge

Looking towards Bergen op Zoom:

Zoom towards Dinteloord:

Viaduct Dinteloord:

Future highway entrance towards Bergen op Zoom already has asphalt:

Viaduct Molendijk: looking towards Rotterdam:

And looking towards exit Dinteloord:

Sorry if this hurt your fingers because of the scrolling
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2013, 05:14 PM   #9552
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A1 Amsterdam

Full-scale construction for the widening of A1 between interchange Watergraafsmeer (A10) and Diemen (A9) starts 29 July. The motorway will be widened to 4 eastbound lanes until summer 2014. It is part of the larger SAA project which will widen 64 kilometers of 5 motorways around Amsterdam and Almere in the coming 8 years.

No major impact is anticipated. The shoulder will be closed to traffic and a barrier will be constructed. The workzone speed limit is 90 km/h. All of the works are outside traffic.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

lafreak84 liked this post
Old July 22nd, 2013, 06:48 PM   #9553
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

I apologize to re-post this, but I would really like to ask you to fill me in. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
They are following a new and unique process. The government sets a framework of requirements and wishes for the project (including things as landscaping, bridge design, unnecessary noise abatement, etc.) and the contractor that offers the most features within the available budget gets the job, and the EIS is designed based on that.

Lane count and interchange configuration is a non-negotiable demand, but the secondary design features are up for grabs. The budget is € 689 million from the national government and € 45 million from local governments to realize unnecessary (from a legal point of view) wishes.

This is the basic plan:
Are those wishes, features, awarded some points beforehand? And if it is not so how do they secure that the awarding is not skewed?

Anyway, with what kind of detail are those wishes, features defined by the government?

How do they deal with the timing of the process? If a tender starts before the actual realization is known (because it is unknown what features will be constructed) how do they get a permit for the construction, if they actually don't yet know how will the construction look like. How do they deal with a situation when the tender is finished and the features are not satisfactory for awarding a permit? (especially with other organizations taking part in the permit process, demanding additional features?)

Is this only for this project or is it a new setup? If it is a new general setup, was there a situation when all contractors would offer full spec? I guess, the next criteria is reducing the price right?
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2013, 06:59 PM   #9554
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Most secondary wishes are aesthetics and extra-legal noise abatement. The road layout, location of "arts" (bridges, under/overpasses, culverts, etc.) are pretty much fixed from the beginning. Which means the final EIS will not vary a whole lot. For example it's not necessary to include the exact aesthetics of an overpass in an EIS, as long as its location and use does not vary. Noise mitigation however, could vary, that is why the final EIS won't be published until the project is contracted.

We'll have to see how this works out. As far as I could tell this way of tendering has not been used before. Instead of the design-EIS-contract-build scenario, they will use the design-contract-EIS-build scenario (or contract-design-EIS-build if you will).

I'm not that far into tender procedures. They award points for various themes and the one with the most points gets the contract, which is not necessarily (but often) the lowest bidder.

A major influence is EMVI - Economisch meest voordelige inschrijving (most economical advantageous bid) which also includes economic effects of congestion during construction. A bidder with a slightly higher price, but less congestion during road works (fewer lane / weekend closures) could win the tender that way.

Surel, Suburbanist liked this post
Old July 22nd, 2013, 07:40 PM   #9555
Surel

Thanks a lot.

Quote:
We'll have to see how this works out. As far as I could tell this way of tendering has not been used before. Instead of the design-EIS-contract-build scenario, they will use the design-contract-EIS-build scenario (or contract-design-EIS-build if you will).

I'm not that far into tender procedures. They award points for various themes and the one with the most points gets the contract, which is not necessarily (but often) the lowest bidder.

A major influence is EMVI - Economisch meest voordelige inschrijving (most economical advantageous bid) which also includes economic effects of congestion during construction. A bidder with a slightly higher price, but less congestion during road works (fewer lane / weekend closures) could win the tender that way.
Thus there is some kind of formula that weights the price, points, and EMVI, perhaps some other things? You suggest here that the price is not final, does it have some upper bound perhaps?

It would be interesting to see into the contracts, because it will be interesting to know who and how bears the risks that the final EIS is not ok. You write build if you will? Does it mean that the contractor can back off in the end?

I figure that EIS = EIA, but what about the building permit (bouwvergunning)? You talk about final EIS which puzzles me. Is this some combination of the EIS and building permit? In my amateur understanding the EIS should be about the whole environmental impact, thus any further changes should not be affecting this whole environmental impact, or only in a positive way to allow for this flexibility.

In my understanding the classic system would work like this:
Prepare project, Get EIS and finilize the project, get all other permits, tender, contract it, have it built.

The new system:
Prepare project, Get some EIS (or is this step skipped here?)*, leave some project features open, tender, contract it, have the project finalized by the contractor, get all other permits - have EIS finalized, have it built.

The for me most interesting thing is whether after the project is finalized under the contractor, have there have to be any permits awarded? If so, who bears the risks if they are not awarded.

*If it were skipped, Its would be really interesting, tendering before even the EIS is established.

If you have some links I would love to read through it. Dutch links are ok.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 08:29 PM   #9556
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Rijkswaterstaat is not as open about tenders as they are for example in Poland. They do not do any press releases with the specifications of tenders, even the bidding process is not released to the general public as far as I am aware. The Polish GDDKiA (road administration) is much more transparant about this than in the Netherlands.

The process in the Netherlands for procedures is as follows;

* initial notice (startnotitie)
* design EIS (ontwerp-tracébesluit / MER)
* final EIS (tracébesluit)

The tracébesluit includes the final designs of the motorway and can be appealed to at the Council of State. The MER includes many variants, and the preferred variant is designed to detail in the ontwerp-tracébesluit. The MER is sometimes a separate step (especially with new alignment motorways), while it is included in the design EIS when it's a change to an existing road to speed up the process.

Building permits are usually received after the final EIS becomes irrevocable, but is basically just routine. I've never seen any permit (building permit, tree cutting permit) refused or appealed when the Council of State has dismissed all appeals against the final EIS.

* EIS = Environmental Impact Statement
* EIA = Environmental Impact Assessment

The term "record of decision" is also used in English but doesn't seem to mean the same thing in the Netherlands as it does in the United States. In the U.S., the ROD seems to be a governmental agency approval, while it is a legal decision (tracébesluit) in the Netherlands which can be appealed to.

Surel liked this post
Old July 23rd, 2013, 12:01 AM   #9557
Surel

Again thanks for this great info. Just few more questions.

So who checks the Rijskwaterstraat? Just the Court of Audit?
I thought that the EU directives on the public procurement require quite high openess. But I would have to read more on this.

I see, tracébesluit, but in this case the tracébesluit is just available after the contract is awarderd and design finalized. Thus there still can come an appeal that would object against something that was added to the tracébesluit by the contracting firm in the tender. Thus there is inherent legal risk in such type of tendering. It would be interesting to know, how is this legal risk mittigated or who bears it.

Ok, so basically you say, once one has tracébesluit, the building permit is a formality. Nice! Is there though a theoretical chance to appeal it (the building permit)? And it's just that there is very little chance of such appeal suceeding, that no one actually does that? Is it because that the courts would consider irrevocable tracébesluit as bulletproof, or because tracébesluits actually are so well prepared and there never emerges a fail in them?

Last one. The EIA and EIS. The EU require an EIA by each project. Is EIA part of the wider defined Dutch procedure EIS? E.g. part of the desing EIS?
Old July 23rd, 2013, 12:19 AM   #9558
Gereke

Likes (Received): 237

Quote:
Full-scale construction for the widening of A1 between interchange Watergraafsmeer (A10) and Diemen (A9) starts 29 July. The motorway will be widened to 4 eastbound lanes until summer 2014.
No westbound works?
Gereke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2013, 02:30 PM   #9559
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A5 Westrandweg, Amsterdam

The speed limit on A5 near Amsterdam was raised from 80 to 100 km/h last night.

image hosted on flickr

Untitled by Wegenrein, on Flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gereke View Post
No westbound works?
Construction will commence in October 2013. Impact may be higher here, because the westbound A1 has shoulder running. The new lane will be constructed in circa 9 months.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 04:23 PM   #9560
Agnette

Likes (Received): 29

Two days ago exit 44 on A7 was closed. Was it due to reconstruction of interchange?

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands